PhD in Pokemon Studies (#1)

Have you ever been swept by Shell Break Cloyster? Genuine question. I can see that it would give you team problems if set up, but can't see that it could have much opportunity to.

i am sorry, but i have noticed a massive weakness to swords dance blaziken. i do not know what you would switch to counter it tho

i am sorry, but i have noticed a massive weakness to swords dance blaziken. i do not know what you would switch to counter it tho
Not really. Swords Dance Blaziken usually doesn't carry Protect, and as such, it can be revenged by Garchomp after a Speed Boost.

Offensive Trick Room / CB+Trick Bronzong > Heatran
  • Jolly > Adamant on Garchomp
  • (Optional) Stone Edge over Fire Blast / Dragon Claw on Garchomp
GL
I'll try all your suggestions. I'm just worried that Bronzong will ruin the synergy of this team.

Have you ever been swept by Shell Break Cloyster? Genuine question. I can see that it would give you team problems if set up, but can't see that it could have much opportunity to.
To be honest that thing is probably the biggest threat to this team. Whenever I see it I know i can't let it set up in my face.

Not really. Swords Dance Blaziken usually doesn't carry Protect, and as such, it can be revenged by Garchomp after a Speed Boost.
^^ What he said. ScarfChomp outspeeds at +1 and can EQ for a OHKO

Try CB Zong. That might work out well. It has levitate, which makes it hold an item, and not get hit by ground moves that Tran would normally get hit by.

You new or something? Because Grass type attacks are neutral on Gyarados. Not NVE.
Really? I make the simplest of mistakes and you go around critisizing me?

Anyways it has been a while and I have tested LK's suggestions but it Bronzong just wasn't cutting it, so I looked for the perfect thing to slot into my team and I found out Cloyster did. So I invented a set that really does help my entire team and I do believe that it fits beautifully into my team.

1)You are incredibly weak to Thundurus and Tornadus. Your Birijion cannot possibly take STAB 4x super-effective 120BP attacks even at +4. And the rest of your team is torn apart by Thundurus, unless you Life Orb stall him and then hope ScarfChomp Stone Edge hits. For that reason I really think you should try running Shell Smash Cloyster. It can outspeed and KO Thundurus, Tornadus, and opposing Cloysters after 1 turn of set-up.
2)This is really personal preference, but I could never advocate the use of Dual Chop. It has the exact same BP as Dragon Claw, but worse accuracy, and it makkes you take 25% from 1 attack against Ferrothorn. Not too many pokemon abuse subs these days that a 40BP hit from Dual Chop will do 25% or up to.
3)Otherwise, great team, you clearly put a lot of thought into this, and it shows.

You know... You act in very arrogant attitude in this RMT. First of all, the purpose of a a RMT thread is to be open to advice. You rejected almost all advice given in a very stubborn posture. Indeed you have a good team. Or least you had. This set your cloister uses simply ignores the reason why this poke has revived from the shadows of uu even nu to be q threat in ou: shell break. Your team has many problems with fast setup threats like dory landorous and terakion and yet you use Rapid Spin on a choices set?? This is just asking to be swept by the aforementioned pokes.
Furthermore, you claim to be the king of pokes and complained about the guy pointing out the gyra resists grass mistake... Then you point out CB Cloyster (??) provides support for Shibora? Do you know why this poke is good? It's because of something called Magic Guard which prevents passive damage!
Lastly, fire/fighting is a very nice combo, so a protect sw blaziken is a threat ane it is a threat to your team.
Use shell break cloyster or bring heatran (holding a ballon or a life orb) back so your team isn't so vulnerable to setup sweepers. And cut your attitude. Every team has flaws and every player can be beaten.

You know... You act in very arrogant attitude in this RMT. First of all, the purpose of a a RMT thread is to be open to advice. You rejected almost all advice given in a very stubborn posture. Indeed you have a good team. Or least you had. This set your cloister uses simply ignores the reason why this poke has revived from the shadows of uu even nu to be q threat in ou: shell break. Your team has many problems with fast setup threats like dory landorous and terakion and yet you use Rapid Spin on a choices set?? This is just asking to be swept by the aforementioned pokes.
Furthermore, you claim to be the king of pokes and complained about the guy pointing out the gyra resists grass mistake... Then you point out CB Cloyster (??) provides support for Shibora? Do you know why this poke is good? It's because of something called Magic Guard which prevents passive damage!
Lastly, fire/fighting is a very nice combo, so a protect sw blaziken is a threat ane it is a threat to your team.
Use shell break cloyster or bring heatran (holding a ballon or a life orb) back so your team isn't so vulnerable to setup sweepers. And cut your attitude. Every team has flaws and every player can be beaten.
I wasn't going to post in this thread because it is a well made team and I can't think of anything to suggest off the top of my head but ugh, this post annoyed me. First off, cloyster can be used well in more than one role. Shell break gave cloyster more use and let's it fit into many more teams, but it is not the only viable set. Spikes and Rapid Spin are obviously useful moves, and it has absolutely absurd physical defense. Blaziken very rarely runs Swords Dance and protect because it loses out majorly on coverage. I mean, it would be nice to have it covered, but it's probably not worth changing anything for it (edit: why is it even a problem actually? If it's running both of those moves it doesn't have room for stone edge and gyarados can take it). I don't see it setting up on too much anyway.

Also, the only people I see with an attitude in this thread are the people acting superior because they can point out some small objective mistakes without actually contributing anything to the team.

dkfoo, I'm wondering, what do you do when you see Tornadus? It seems to be a huge problem and I wouldn't know how to react to it with this team. Magnezone can take a hurricane but then it won't appreciate a focus blast. If it's choiced you're in luck but it usually isn't in my experience.

Spikes and Rapid Spin are obviously good moves but not on a choiced set!!! Being locked on rapid spin or even spikes is asking for being swept by setup sweepers. And this team does have a weakness to some of those pokes like terakion, dory and landorous. The OP has reacted very harshly on some advice given in a very smooth manner. Finally, I found very funny that a guy has just posted the said uncommon protect SD fire fighting set...

1)You are incredibly weak to Thundurus and Tornadus. Your Birijion cannot possibly take STAB 4x super-effective 120BP attacks even at +4. And the rest of your team is torn apart by Thundurus, unless you Life Orb stall him and then hope ScarfChomp Stone Edge hits. For that reason I really think you should try running Shell Smash Cloyster. It can outspeed and KO Thundurus, Tornadus, and opposing Cloysters after 1 turn of set-up.
2)This is really personal preference, but I could never advocate the use of Dual Chop. It has the exact same BP as Dragon Claw, but worse accuracy, and it makkes you take 25% from 1 attack against Ferrothorn. Not too many pokemon abuse subs these days that a 40BP hit from Dual Chop will do 25% or up to.
3)Otherwise, great team, you clearly put a lot of thought into this, and it shows.
1. I'll try running a SS Cloyster and see how it goes :).
2. Actually Dual Chop has 10 BP more if im not mistaken, but I am trying Stone Edge right now over Dual Chop.
3. Glad you liked the team!

Okay how am I arrogant? I've listened to what everyone has said, and I have actually tested almost everything given to me. I used Dual Chop as recommended and even tried a Bronzong over Heatran as recommended. The thing that annoys me are people that are only here to look for a simple mistake and act as though I did it on purpose. Honestly that kid thought that just because I accidentally Gyarados was neutral to grass that I didn't know anything and this RMT had no value or substance. If anyone is arrogant here it is him.
Anyway on to the rate. I have comtemplated running a SS Cloyster over the current one, because as you said it is what brought it into OU. But you have to understand that there is more than one possible set for a Pokemon. If people don't try new things we wouldn't have things like TormentTran or CMBirijion. As I said I am going to try SS Cloyster and I'll get back to you guys. Finally I agree on the fact that that Blaziken is by for the hardest for this team to handle. It can SD on the switch to Chomp and Protect to outspeed Chomp and put a dent in my team. But you do realise that Cloyster is weak to fighting moves don't you?

I wasn't going to post in this thread because it is a well made team and I can't think of anything to suggest off the top of my head but ugh, this post annoyed me. First off, cloyster can be used well in more than one role. Shell break gave cloyster more use and let's it fit into many more teams, but it is not the only viable set. Spikes and Rapid Spin are obviously useful moves, and it has absolutely absurd physical defense. Blaziken very rarely runs Swords Dance and protect because it loses out majorly on coverage. I mean, it would be nice to have it covered, but it's probably not worth changing anything for it (edit: why is it even a problem actually? If it's running both of those moves it doesn't have room for stone edge and gyarados can take it). I don't see it setting up on too much anyway.

Also, the only people I see with an attitude in this thread are the people acting superior because they can point out some small objective mistakes without actually contributing anything to the team.

dkfoo, I'm wondering, what do you do when you see Tornadus? It seems to be a huge problem and I wouldn't know how to react to it with this team. Magnezone can take a hurricane but then it won't appreciate a focus blast. If it's choiced you're in luck but it usually isn't in my experience.
Thank you. Some people just stick with the crowd and wait for them to find new things. Tornadus is actually handled by Chomp now. I gave him Stone Edge > Dual Chop so I'm pretty sure its a OHKO.

I'm thinking that you should take out Outrage and put in Stone edge instead of Dual Chop, cause Dual Chop works better cause your not locked in for 2-3 turns. This doesnt let Natt and other steels set up on u.

If anything, Stone Edge should be used over Fire Blast. You will appreciate being able to revenge dragons without locking yourself in, and Fire Blast isn't really necessary on a Scarf set. You don't really need Fire Blast for Skarm / Metagross / Ferrothorn when 1) you have Magnezone and 2) Scarfchomp's job is to revenge threats and possibly sweep lategame once everything has been weakened. Outrage / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Dracon Claw (or Dual Chop) is probably your most effective set.

1. I'll try running a SS Cloyster and see how it goes :).
2. Actually Dual Chop has 10 BP more if im not mistaken, but I am trying Stone Edge right now over Dual Chop.
3. Glad you liked the team!
I thought it had more BP too, but it's still just 80

If anything, Stone Edge should be used over Fire Blast. You will appreciate being able to revenge dragons without locking yourself in, and Fire Blast isn't really necessary on a Scarf set. You don't really need Fire Blast for Skarm / Metagross / Ferrothorn when 1) you have Magnezone and 2) Scarfchomp's job is to revenge threats and possibly sweep lategame once everything has been weakened. Outrage / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Dracon Claw (or Dual Chop) is probably your most effective set.
Thats what Dual Chop is for.

Post Number 39

Thank you. Some people just stick with the crowd and wait for them to find new things. Tornadus is actually handled by Chomp now. I gave him Stone Edge > Dual Chop so I'm pretty sure its a OHKO.

Awesome team. I'm loving the Shinbora set. I think I'll have to try it out. However, I don't think it's legal. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) Roost and Assist Power are egg moves with different fathers.

RP LO terakion GG might wanna swap shinborra for rankurusu cm bulky set
Seconding this, Reuniclus makes a better fighting-type check anyway as it isn't weak to Stone Edge. If you aren't sold on the power:

260 BP Assist Power from 245 SpA Shinbora vs. pokemon with 404 HP / 300 SpD: (56.68% - 66.83%)
+6 Psychic from 286 SpA Reuniclus vs. pokemon with 404 HP / 300 SpD: (91.34% - 107.67%)

Why adamant on scarfchomp? Jolly or naive would be more beneficial imo to outrun mence after a DD. Assuming its a revenge killer, you'll want all the speed you can get.

You new or something? Because Grass type attacks are neutral on Gyarados. Not NVE.
No reason to be a bitch because of a little typing mistake.

You must have posted in the wrong thread because this guy hasn't rejected anything in a stubborn way. You're the one acting stubborn.

Anyways I would change Garchomp's nature to Jolly, so that it can outspeed other scarfed dragons other than Latios/Latias, and also so that you can switch in on something using Dragon Dance and still be able to outspeed it. Also I would try out Substitute over Taunt on Gyarados, just to see how it works. You don't see many phazers this gen, and against things that status or leech you can get up protection while also stopping them from crippling you. It also nice to use when the opponent is switching, because you don't have to predict the right move.

Vaporeon, Gyarados, Suicune, Hippowdon, and most importantly Skarmory...they are still around. Taunt stops Leech Seed and status as well, so Substitute is pretty inferior in this case. It would really save him from Dragon Tail Gyara and Milotic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)