Krookodile (Analysis)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Krookodile
With these checks, I am done! (Calm Pokemaster, wekhter, jc104)

[Overview]

<p>Krookodile has a good base 117 Attack and a slightly below-average base 92 Speed. It has access to two excellent abilities in Moxie, which boosts its Attack stat by one stage after a direct KO, and Intimidate, which effectively gives this sand crocodile a temporary +1 in its Defense stat. Its Ground / Dark typing gives it valuable STAB, and excellent coverage being provided by the EdgeQuake combo alongside Crunch or Krookodile's semi-exclusive move Foul Play, which works by using the target's Attack stat to deal damage. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Krookodile becomes a revenge killer that can tear unprepared teams apart.</p>

<p>Despite all of Krookodile's perks, a few potentially debilitating problems still plague the sand crocodile. Its average bulk leaves it vulnerable to most forms of priority attack, especially from Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Azumarill. It also has a concerning lack of reliable boosting moves, although Bulk Up and Hone Claws are usually enough to get the job done. It also faces competition from Tyranitar and Hydreigon as a team's Dark-type of choice, and from Conkeldurr and Scrafty as a Bulk Up abuser. Despite these problems, Krookodile can cause quite a bit of hurt if underestimated.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Equipped with a Choice Scarf, Krookodile is capable of outpacing most of the OU metagame. With Moxie, it has a chance to sweep after getting even one KO. Its advantages over its main rival, Tyranitar, are its higher Speed, its abilities, and not bringing up sandstorm. Earthquake is used because it is Krookodile's most reliable move. Crunch lets it KO the Psychic-types rampant in the OU metagame. Stone Edge is used to hit the various Flying-types that will inevitably switch in expecting Earthquake. Pursuit allows Krookodile to trap Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon switching out in fear of Crunch or Earthquake. The EVs are simple: Speed and Attack are maximized with the remaining 4 EVs thrown into HP. With the EVs given, Krookodile reaches 366 Attack and 424 Speed with the Choice Scarf. After a direct KO, Krookodile's Attack stat reaches 549 with Moxie. However, its decidedly average defenses leave it vulnerable to priority attacks and faster Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A Jolly nature could be used to outspeed even more Pokemon, but nothing notable is outsped and OHKOed by Krookodile that lies between 424 and 466 Speed. Jolly also costs Krookodile a bit of power. Outrage could be used to land surprise KOs on Dragon-types that switch in. However, this allows Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory to come in on Krookodile and set up entry hazards. Fire Fang or Thunder Fang could be used for additional coverage, but their mediocre power is usually a turn-off. A Choice Band could be used for more immediate Attack at the cost of revenge-killing ability. If Choice Band is used, Foul Play won't be an option because Krookodile will most likely have more Attack than the opponent. Foul Play could be used with a Scarf, but is at best unreliable as it uses the Attack stat of the opponent. Intimidate lets Krookodile switch in more easily on weak physical attacks, while Moxie lets Krookodile potentially sweep weakened teams.</p>

<p>Thundurus and Zapdos can switch in on most attacks thrown at Krookodile, absorb them with relative ease, and threaten many of its counters with a boosted Thunderbolt and, in the case of Thundurus, a priority Thunder Wave. They must carry Toxic or Hidden Power Grass in order to beat Unaware Quagsire, though. Alternatively, a Grass-type such as Breloom or Virizion could be used to beat Quagsire. However, note that opposing Breloom and Virizion can also pose a threat to Krookodile with their STAB attacks. In this regard, Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, and Tornadus are good teammates for Krookodile, as they can dispose of the aforementioned threats with ease. Skarmory and Gyarados can switch in on every move that Krookodile packs (except Stone Edge in the case of Gyarados), Skarmory setting up Spikes and phazing, and Gyarados threatening with STAB Water-type attacks. Excadrill with an Air Balloon can switch in on most of Krookodile's moves under sandstorm, outspeed it, and smack it with Earthquake.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Stone Edge / Taunt
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>While Krookodile's main niche in this metagame is being a fast, relatively solid revenge killer, it can also assume the guise of a bulky setup sweeper. Bulk Up is one of Krookodile's only few boosting moves, the other being Hone Claws, and allows Krookodile to raise its Attack stat while boosting its modest Defense. Earthquake serves as Krookodile's main STAB attack, while Crunch and Substitute could be used in the third slot. Crunch gives Krookodile a way to hit levitating Ghost-types such as Gengar. In the last slot, Stone Edge is the preferred option to round out Krookodile's coverage. However, Taunt could be used to prevent Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn from setting up entry hazards, inflicting a status condition, or phazing Krookodile out. The EVs allow Krookodile to outspeed all non-Scarfed Tyranitar, and give it 370 HP, 264 Defense, and 176 Special Defense with Intimidate in play.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A Jolly nature could be used to outpace most of this set's counters, but Krookodile loses out on a bit of power. Similarly, you can run an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, but Krookodile misses out on decisively important bulk. Fire Fang and Thunder Fang could be used, but their mediocre power, especially when hitting neutrally, is a turn-off. Substitute allows Krookodile to scout for status, and, in conjunction with Dragon Tail, beat most of its usual counters, including Skarmory and Bronzong. Intimidate lets Krookodile switch in more easily, while Moxie lets Krookodile further boost its Attack stat after it scores a direct KO.</p>

<p>As this Krookodile plays differently from the Choice set, different teammates are needed as different counters arise. Unaware Quagsire, however, remains a universal counter, as it ignores all of Krookodile's Bulk Up boosts and threatens with Scald. A Grass-type of your own, such as Ferrothorn or Rotom-C, can be used to threaten Quagsire. Ferrothorn is especially notable as it can lay Spikes or Stealth Rock, which makes Krookodile's job easier. Faster special attackers, such as Latios and Virizion, threaten with attacks that hit Krookodile's unboosted Special Defense. Thundurus can cripple both with a priority Thunder Wave or its own powerful special attacks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragon Claw and Outrage can be used on the Choice Scarf set to nail various Dragon-types on the switch-in, but Pokemon that are resistant to the QuakeEdge combo can usually take Outrage as well. Hone Claws is Krookodile's other boosting move, but the only move that would benefit more than Bulk Up is Stone Edge. Fire Fang and Thunder Fang could be used for more super effective coverage, but their lack of power is discouraging. Rock Slide could be used over Stone Edge for accuracy reasons, but keep in mind that Krookodile will miss out on various KOs because of Rock Slide's 75 Base Power. Foul Play is Krookodile's other main Dark-type move, but it is unreliable at best because it uses the opponent's Attack stat rather than Krookodile's. Choice Band can be used if you wish to play Krookodile in a similar way to its Ground- and Dark-type brethren, but keep in mind that it lacks the power of Tyranitar and Excadrill.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Conkeldurr, Scizor, Azumarill, and Mamoswine all threaten Krookodile with boosted priority attacks that bypass its the Choice Scarf set's excellent Speed. Excadrill, when in the sand and holding an Air Balloon, can revenge kill Krookodile with its superior Speed and Attack stats. Virizion and Breloom are especially deadly to Krookodile because they resist both of his its STAB moves and Stone Edge, and immediately threaten to KO with STAB Grass- and Fighting-type moves.</p>

<p>A few Pokemon can also use their defenses to take whatever Krookodile throws at them with ease. Skarmory can use its Steel typing and base 140 Defense to Whirlwind Krookodile out and reset its stat boosts. However, Skarmory will lose against the Bulk Up set if Krookodile is using Taunt or both Substitute and Dragon Tail. With Unaware, Quagsire can switch into any of Krookodile's attacks and threaten it with Toxic or a Water-type move. Other bulky Water-types such as Gyarados can do this as well, but must be wary if Krookodile has acquired more than one Attack boost. Alternatively, Poison Heal Gliscor can switch in and threaten Krookodile with Fling or Ice Fang.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Anger Point, Krookodile's Dream World ability, has not been released yet. It is useless compared to Moxie and Intimidate, because those abilities are what distinguish Krookodile from its fellow Dark-types.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh yes, I know this is a placeholder, but if you're willing to do some more work, mention Substitute as an option. It may or may not deserve its own set, but with Substitute and Moxie, you're basically safe behind one while raising your attack for each Pokemon you defeat, which isn't hard considering Krookodile's Attack. Force a switch, Substitute, and rinse and repeat. The item choice is dubious, but I would imagine Krookodile would run Leftovers, Life Orb, or a Salac Berry (optional at best because of priority).

Krookodile has an average base 117 Attack and a better than average base 92 Speed
I don't think a base 117 anything is "average", and furthermore, since when is base 92 Speed "above average"?

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the catches. This thread is mostly a transfer from skeleton to prose, so I'm adding and subtracting from the analysis. Regarding the Dragon-type moves, Krookodile has better options. I'll give them a mention in the Other Options section though.

Bulk up is more of a sweeper here. I mean a set with more HP and defense invested. Yes it would probably look similar to bulk up but it would have a diferent purpose.

Krookodile, what a terrible name. I can't even say it right. Messes my mouth up. Sounds like a foreign way to say crocodile, haha.

Wow, this thing didn't get Taunt?

If you mention AccidentalGreed's Sub set, bring up Dragon Tail to use on it as well, then you can force Skarmory (and others) away before you get phazed out.

Though I don't think Bulk Up is that great on him, it is much better than Hone Claws. He doesn't have that many unreliable moves to take advantage of the accuracy increase.

Fire Fang and Thunder Fang could be mentioned in "Other Options" to help Krookodile deal with Ferrothorn/Scizor/Forretress and Gyarados respectively (but Gyarados is still hit hard by Stone Edge anyway).

Intimidate is 100% better on any choice set. Case closed. The Bulk Up set can use both so the tag should be omitted (though Overconfidence actually sounds better on that set). Also, a "Bulky" Bulk up set with Taunt should be explored.

Oh wow, he does get it. I guess I was blind.

Then yeah, it should go with Bulk Up or Substitute for sure.

But how can the Intimidate be better on the Choice sets, especially the Scarf? The Band I guess is ok, but if you're going for revenge kills with the Scarf, then you'd want your opponent not to switch out from the Attack drop.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Moxie is better on the Choice sets. Despite Intimidate allowing for easier switch-ins, Moxie is truly what makes Krookodile shine. If you don't want to use Moxie, then use Tyranitar.

To me, Intimidate is better on the Bulk Up set. I will mention a bulkier spread in the Alternate Options section of the Bulk Up set later. I'll give Dragon Tail and Substitute slashes because they allow Krookodile to beat Skarmory. I'll mention Leftovers as another item for the Bulk Up set.

AccidentalGreed

Before you write the whole thing up, wait for QC to check this so you don't have to delete whole analyses when checkers reject or change something. I'm glad you gave Substitute consideration!

Krookodile, what a terrible name. I can't even say it right. Messes my mouth up. Sounds like a foreign way to say crocodile, haha.

Wow, this thing didn't get Taunt?

If you mention AccidentalGreed's Sub set, bring up Dragon Tail to use on it as well, then you can force Skarmory (and others) away before you get phazed out.

Though I don't think Bulk Up is that great on him, it is much better than Hone Claws. He doesn't have that many unreliable moves to take advantage of the accuracy increase.
How hard is it to say "crook - oh - dial"? :P
he can learn Taunt by TM
Dragon Tail is worth mention on a sub set, agreed
i'd have to test this of course, but i believe a defensively ev'd Bulkodial would be a pretty good set-up sweeper, though the amount of things it can come in on and set up on are greatly limited by his typing (Dory, Conk, Volca, and other things you could switch a Ground-type in to all laugh at his Dark typing).

Probably the biggest flaw is his weakness to arguably the most common type of moves in the metagame (Water-, Ice-, Grass-, and Fighting-type attacks). I mean, he only resists Rock-, Dark-, Ghost-, and Poison-type attacks, the first three are usually carried by Pokemon who have the ability to learn SE moves as well, and how often do you see the latter type of attack used, anyway?

You might want to mention that Chandelure and Krookodile share a weakness to water-type priority in the DW section (i.e. Azumarill)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
To everyone reading over my analysis, which should be the primary slashes for the Bulk Up set? I've used everything that's slashed to a good level of success, so please help me determine the slashes.

AccidentalGreed

I have no suggestions but a few for the Bulk Up set.

• If Krookodile is going to use Dragon Tail or Substitute, slash Leftovers to gain some recovery and so you’re not killed by death fodder and Life Orb. This Crookodile is kind of made to be bulky. So, please Slash Leftovers; take advantage of the Defense boost.

• Slash Moxie with Intimidate as an ability. Even though Krookodile is meant to be a bulky set up, Moxie doesn’t cause you to die from death fodder, and it boosts your attack for every kill you make. Theoretically nice with Substitute.
Everything else is nice. But let’s let QC and the other guys be the judge of that.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Talked to the other QC guys about this:

Slash on Jolly for the Scarf set, and move Foul Play to Additional Comments. Also, make Intimidate the main slash on the Scarf set. Finally, actually change the name of the Choice set to Choice Scarf.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I disagree with SDS. Moxie is far better. Dark is a great attacking type, and so is Ground. Once Steels are cleared out of the way, Krookodile can put the opponent on a slippery slope by knocking out something, which gives it the power to knock something else out, etc. What physical attacks are you even coming in on? Tyranitar's Crunch / Stone Edge still hit like a bitch, and even at that most carry Superpower, Ice Beam, or Fire Blast. I guess random Stone Edges and stuff, but most stuff that carries that has a move that can nail Krookodile (Terrakion, Garchomp, etc.) Moxie is really better.

I think Bulk Up should look like:

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Taunt / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate / Moxie
nature: Adamant
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 102 Spe

Hits the standard 245 speed to beat Tyranitar (speed creepers use 246+ BUT IM NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT), Taunt lets this probably maybe beat Skarmory, because with 156 HP it's pretty damn bulky -- 370 / 264 / 176 isn't too shabby, and the Defense is boosted to 396 if you are at +1 and the opponent at -1. It ditches the offensive approach to BU, because if you want offensive Krookodile then you're far better off running Scarf or even Band (although this still hits an awesome 366 attack, it's focused more on getting the boost and then sweeping with good bulk and attack stats)

thoughts?

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Thanks for your input Bad Ass. I'll keep Substitute as a slashed option, but I'll deslash Dragon Tail and give it a mention in the AC section of the Bulk Up set. I'll put your EV spread as the primary spread while giving the current EV spread in the analysis a mention in the AC. Should I deslash Jolly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)