Dugtrio (Analysis)

One day, I hope Dugtrio can evolve into Dugquintet.

PROSE IS COMPLETED. AWAITING GP CHECKS.

QC Checks [3/3] – PK Gaming, Bloo, Iconic
GP Checks [2/2] - bugmaniacbob, NixHex (Stamped by Ray Jay)

WORK IN PROGRESS SO SHUT UP. Actually, help is still appreciated, but it’s likely I’m just not there yet in the analysis. Just look at my to-do list. If it's not there, you're free to post. I’d prefer help via message for things I'm likely going to get to, if you wouldn’t mind, since I don’t want this thread flooded with comments just because I’m still working on it and it’s really damned shitty right now because I’m tired.

TO DO
: Test Life Orb (does that even deserve its own set? Idk.), see if Hone Claws is usable in OU (doubt it), test if Scarf is still valuable (to kill scarf Terrakion and other shitty shit piles of shit that stupidly fast), merge to-be-tested sets if possible ‘cause I don’t wanna make another set because set comments are gonna be redundant with choice band but I’ll probably have to ‘cause they play differently guhhhhh, try Shadow Claw over Sucker Punch (Why the hell did the Gen IV analysis prefer Night Slash? Shadow Claw gets better neutral coverage…), find an animated gif for Dugtrio, do calculations for Adamant and Jolly (decided not to because it misses out on too many threats... not even worth it), and what attacks Dugtrio can actually survive (like nothing. lol. screw that.), provide a damage calculations list so it may successfully revenge kill stuff (know what big-time threats in the metagame you can faint at what percent HP, reflect significance of Spikes and/or Stealth Rock), learn how to calculate probability for being KO’d, get some shitty coffee, wake the fuck up, fix “but I am le tired” errors (shit [concepts and ideas] that don’t make sense), make the bullets flow (paragraph preparation), get laid, smoke a cigarette, come back and be miserable again. And maybe make this list a little bit smaller.

Dugtrio

[Overview]

<p>Dugtrio has always been an unorthodox choice for an OU team. As the only fully-evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio is a fantastic revenge killer. Dugtrio also has blazing Speed and a passable offensive movepool. However, while its lackluster base Attack can be improved by Choice Band and Life Orb, it still lacks enough muscle to push through most healthy enemies. Furthermore, its defenses are certainly not capable of handling much more than a weak priority attack, and its high Speed can be overcome by opposing Choice Scarf users. In addition, Dugtrio is almost begging to be trapped by Pursuit. In this generation, Dugtrio welcomes the coming of many grounded competitive threats. Unfortunately, it quickly realizes that their defenses are higher, as well. It also finds that a Ground-type STAB is less reliable than ever due to the introduction of Air Balloon. Luckily, with the introduction of valuable sandstorm sweepers, the ubiquitous Tyranitar becomes more and more important to remove – a task which Dugtrio is eager to fulfill.</p>

[SET]
name: Revenge Killer
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Shadow Claw / Substitute
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 32 Def / 224 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the notorious "EdgeQuake" combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many may be able to switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent weapon against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types like Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias if they decide to stay in the fray. Its priority is also useful in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, which will cause damage even if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, and so on. While Dugtrio is extremely speedy, the priority is also valuable for its ability to strike Choice Scarf Gengar and Latios first.</p>

<p>Choice Band is a great idea on Dugtrio, as it helps it become as threatening as possible right off the bat. Arena Trap also significantly reduces the need for prediction on grounded enemies, which makes Choice Band the preferred item. However, choosing a Life Orb can expand Dugtrio's capabilities, and also makes Dugtrio more difficult to set up on once it has performed a revenge kill. It also allows Dugtrio to revenge kill foes with Air Balloon, as it can pop the item with Shadow Claw and then switch to Earthquake to finish the opponent off.</p>

<p>If holding Life Orb rather than Choice Band, Substitute becomes an additional option. Substitute allows Dugtrio to ease prediction when attempting to revenge kill a Levitating or Flying-type foe who is likely to switch. But, most importantly, it also defends Dugtrio from Pursuit and Sucker Punch. While the only common Choice-locked Electric-type attacks come from the levitating Rotom-A, Substitute can help by scouting the switch-in, possibly creating an opportunity for a 2HKO.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While Dugtrio is begging for all the power it can get, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed threats like Timid Starmie, Raikou, and Azelf, along with other threats such as +1 Speed Tyranitar and Magnezone. A Jolly nature, as opposed to an Adamant nature, also allows Dugtrio to outspeed common and threatening 108 base Speed threats, including Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape. The EVs maximize Dugtrio's damage output, while allowing it to outpace opponents with up to 115 base Speed. The rest are invested into Defense, in order to hopefully survive weak priority attacks, or a Pursuit Dugtrio decides not to flee from.</p>

<p>As for teammates, ask not what you can do for Dugtrio, but what Dugtrio can do for you! One of the most indispensable talents that Dugtrio offers is its ability to reliably eliminate a Tyranitar with a little previous damage from entry hazards or Life Orb. As such, teammates such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar who fear of the stone dinosaur greatly benefit from Dugtrio. Teammates with significant weaknesses to Electric- or Rock-type Pokemon or attacks are also likely to benefit from Dugtrio. Some examples include Gyarados, Volcarona, Tornadus, and Thundurus. Dugtrio can also work well on Drought and Drizzle teams as a reliable way to remove the most common Sand Stream user from the match. As a bonus, Drought teams also rid Dugtrio of its Water-type weakness.</p>

<p>If there's one thing the team can do for Dugtrio, it's providing Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock support is especially important to Dugtrio, as it helps deter Flying-types from switching in during the match. On the other hand, Spikes support brings many grounded enemies into KO range. As such, Deoxys-S, Forretress, and Ferrothorn are all great teammates, as they can effectively provide both. In return, Dugtrio can destroy Tyranitar, who loves to switch in on supportive Deoxys-S variants. While not critically detrimental to its duties, Dugtrio also hates Spikes on its side of the battlefield, as it prevents it from surviving weak priority attacks and Pursuit. As such, a Magic Bounce Xatu is a great idea for a partner, and it additionally draws in Electric- and Rock-type attacks while keeping entry hazards off of the field. Magic Bounce Espeon may be used instead if it meshes better with the remainder of the team. Conveniently, both Xatu and Espeon greatly appreciate the removal of Tyranitar, which can allow them to run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Fighting. Both Magic Bounce Xatu and Espeon are conveniently capable of reliably setting up dual screens, which can allow Dugtrio to handle a hit and successfully carry out 2HKOs. Rapid Spin support may be used instead, and Starmie, who can attract Electric-type attacks and handle many Levitating and Flying-type Pokemon, fits the role very well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Memento is an interesting and rather exclusive option, if using a Life Orb. Thanks to team preview, Dugtrio often realizes when it has successfully done its job for the team. Afterwards, Dugtrio can often become dead weight compared to set-up sweepers. Conveniently, Memento allows a teammate to set up and sweep once Dugtrio has assassinated a certain threat. If using Memento, teammates such as Shell Smash Cloyster, Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Swords Dance Terrakion are grateful of the safe opportunity to set up.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace is also useful as the last move, as it can remove a team's weakness to Heracross, Breloom, or Virizion. Unfortunately, it has little utility outside of these threats. Rock Slide is an option over Stone Edge for higher accuracy and a useful flinch chance, but is strongly discouraged due to its weak Base Power uncomplimentary to Dugtrio’s modest Attack stat. As an illustration of its lesser Base Power, Rock Slide has the same Base Power as a resisted STAB Earthquake on Grass-type foes. Night Slash can easily replace Shadow Claw, as they have almost identical type coverage. However, while no Pokemon is immune to Night Slash, it is weak against the Fighting-types that plague the metagame. Chansey and Blissey are the only common Normal-types in the metagame, and a Choice Band Night Slash does not have the power to handle them, anyways. Night Slash also triggers the ability Justified, while Shadow Claw does not.</p>

<p>Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack boosting move, and a set consisting of Hone Claws, Substitute, Earthquake, and Stone Edge can be used. Still, team preview will remind the opponent to remove Dugtrio before using a Choice-locked Electric-type attack. Encore support from a teammate such as Whimsicott can open opportunities to boost up, but lasts too few turns for Dugtrio to gain enough boosts to efficiently sweep. Air Balloon is also a surprising option on a Hone Claws set, in order to unexpectedly sneak into the fray on choice locked Ground-type attacks and easily boost to +6. Unfortunately, there are stronger, more reliable Ground-type sweepers, such as Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

<p>As previously described, an Adamant nature is tempting for Dugtrio, who is itching for any additional strength, but will unfortunately bring Dugtrio's maximum possible Speed down to that of a 105 base Speed Pokemon. This means that Dugtrio will now be outsped by any faster opponent (most notably Terrakion, Virizion, Starmie, Gengar, Raikou, +1 Speed Jolly Tyranitar, and so on), along with being forced to a Speed tie with Mienshao and Zoroark. If one opts to use an Adamant nature, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe is best. However, it is greatly encouraged to select a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Dugtrio can overcome enemy Choice Scarf users and other +1 Speed enemies, such as Choice Scarf Terrakion or Choice Scarf Heatran. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO many relevant enemies; in fact, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is unlikely to OHKO any opponent who does not receive super effective damage from Earthquake or Stone Edge. Additionally, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is still unable to use an Adamant nature, as Choice Scarf bearing threats such as Terrakion and Mienshao will still give it Speed troubles. For most teams, Wobbuffet is usually a better choice to reliably eliminate Choice Scarf threats.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio does not essentially have any counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies. However, it does have many opponents and obstacles to be wary of. As such, it is discouraged to employ Dugtrio as a revenge killer against Flying-type or Levitating Pokemon, who may freely switch out. Beware of the following confrontations…</p>

<p>Azumarill can effortlessly destroy Dugtrio with Aqua Jet. Skarmory can come in with its near impenetrable Defense and throw down Spikes as Dugtrio flees. An Ice Shard from Mamoswine and Weavile can slaughter Dugtrio, while the latter often wields a powerful Pursuit as well. Dragonite's Life Orb ExtremeSpeed has an 87.17% chance to KO a full-health Dugtrio, and is also immune to Ground-type attacks and Arena Trap. Bronzong is immune to Earthquake and Arena Trap, resistant to Stone Edge, and its high Defense stat lets it handle Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Claw while it flattens Dugtrio with Gyro Ball. Dugtrio is not going to defeat Hippowdon or Gliscor anytime soon, due to their reliable recovery and high Defense. Porygon2 can use Trace to copy Arena Trap, and utilize its great bulk and reliable recovery to fire an Ice Beam and take Dugtrio down. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion are resistant to most of its attacks.</p>

<p>Anything faster than Dugtrio can generally kill it with a neutral STAB attack. A common mistake that can spell death for Dugtrio is switching into an opponent which is unexpectedly Scarfed. It is vital to watch for the presence of Life Orb damage or Leftovers recovery when using Dugtrio. As such, sandstorm support from Tyranitar can also cause Leftovers to reveal itself, in case Stealth Rock is not on the field.</p>

<p>More so for Choice Band Dugtrio than for Life Orb Dugtrio, Air Balloon dramatically hinders Dugtrio's presence, as the common Air Balloon users (such as Excadrill, Heatran, and other Steel-type Pokemon) may easily endure any of Dugtrio's other moves, and faint Dugtrio with a STAB attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio gains Sand Force as its ability through the Dream World. While this is a fantastic ability for a Ground-type Pokemon, Dugtrio loses its niche as an amazing abuser of Arena Trap. Switching to Sand Force would also cause Excadrill and Landorus to utterly outclass Dugtrio as a sandstorm sweeper.</p>

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1) Sub/Claw Sharpen should get a set, IMO, since it actually makes Dugtrio really threatening if you're not careful, although Choice-locked Electric attacks aren't as common in OU as in Ubers, I guess.
2) Mention Dugtrio now gets access to Memento.
3) LO is definitely worth testing. Substitute can allow you to evade potential Sucker Punches (Great on rain teams to remove Toxicroak)

1) Sub/Claw Sharpen should get a set, IMO, since it actually makes Dugtrio really threatening if you're not careful, although Choice-locked Electric attacks aren't as common in OU as in Ubers, I guess.
2) Mention Dugtrio now gets access to Memento.
3) LO is definitely worth testing. Substitute can allow you to evade potential Sucker Punches (Great on rain teams to remove Toxicroak)
I know that a +6 Dugtrio can be pretty threatening, but it's just faaaaaaar too situational for the OU metagame. I just moved it to OO, mentioning Encore support. That's about all it can do in OU, unfortunately. Not to mention it's more often than not a waste of time due to the significance of priority moves in this metagame (god damn you, Excadrill), and the fact that it's still out sped by common Scarfers.

I didn't notice Memento. That's awesome. I think that would work great for a Life Orb set, to allow a team mate to set up a sweep after a specific counter *cough* Tyranitar *cough* is removed (or maybe it's even usable on Choice Scarf, as a last ditch effort to set up a late game sweep, or stop an opponent's sweep). I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I compose the Life Orb portion of the analysis.

But I'm going to get to Life Orb. It is definitely worth it, I'm just not positive it deserves its own set, yet. However, it plays a lot differently, so I'm probably going to need to just make a whole new Life Orb set. Blehhhh lazy. Oh well. But you'll see a Life Orb set done in the next few days to a week, for sure.

-Zane

Edit: Decided to make a whole new set for Life Orb. It's just too different to combine with Choice Band. That is unless, of course, a C&C mod disapproves of an additional set.

Scarf should be included in the Band set, as it can be incredibly useful as a trapper as it does not possess Chandelure's crippling Stealth Rock weakness and has very good coverage with EdgeQuake

Scarf should be included in the Band set, as it can be incredibly useful as a trapper as it does not possess Chandelure's crippling Stealth Rock weakness and has very good coverage with EdgeQuake
I put Choice Scarf in OO. Dugtrio has an unreliably typed single STAB, pitiful defenses, rather bad defensive typing (which resists no priority move), a mediocre movepool, and, worst of all, only 80 base Attack. That's pathetic for a Scarfer. And Choice Scarf Dugtrio can't even handle an Adamant nature anymore, with so many new 102+ base Speed threats. It just can't make its way through the defenses of major threats. Its Speed is honestly the only thing is has over Chandelure. In fact, Chandelure can get perfect coverage with Hidden Power, and has unique typing (more specifically the helpful Ghost-typing) that can result in more frequent set up opportunities.

Fortunately, Dugtrio is not yet competing with Chandelure for revenge killing. Shadow Tag Chandelure is not yet released. Nor do I think it will be for a very, very long time (I hope...).

-Zane

P.S. I would appreciate it if a C&C mod could suggest where to put the damage calculations in the analysis. They apply for both sets, and are to serve as a guideline for a Dugtrio user as to when it can successfully revenge kill, and should be referenced to frequently in order to not lose Dugtrio prematurely.

I put Choice Scarf in OO. Dugtrio has an unreliably typed single STAB, pitiful defenses, rather bad defensive typing (which resists no priority move), a mediocre movepool, and, worst of all, only 80 base Attack. That's pathetic. And Choice Scarf Dugtrio can't even handle an Adamant nature anymore, with so many new 102+ base Speed threats. It just can't make its way through the defenses of major threats. Its Speed is honestly the only thing is has over Chandelure. In fact, Chandelure can get perfect coverage with Hidden Power, and has unique typing (more specifically the helpful Ghost-typing) that can result in more frequent set up opportunities.

Fortunately, Dugtrio is not yet competing with Chandelure for revenge killing. Shadow Tag Chandelure is not yet released. Nor do I think it will be for a very, very long time (I hope...).

-Zane
Don't undersell Dugtrio. Shandera can go have fun with its HP Dragon perfect coverage, but Dugtrio has a really useful STABEarthquake that is pretty powerful with its acceptable attack stat

Don't undersell Dugtrio. Shandera can go have fun with its HP Dragon perfect coverage, but Dugtrio has a really useful STABEarthquake that is pretty powerful with its acceptable attack stat
I love Dugtrio to death, but "acceptable" is rather flattering in today's metagame. Choice Scarf Dugtrio is just too weak. I mean, look at the damage calculations at the bottom of the analysis. Almost all of the OHKOs, including ones that require Stealth Rocks/Spikes support, are not going to be made, anymore... Especially without an Adamant nature. Damned speed creep.

Also, take a look at the DP Dugtrio analysis. It's not very flattering towards Scarf Dugtrio. Scarf Dugtrio was better suited for UU, honestly, where expectations of Attack and Speed stats were lowered, as well as a lower standard of Defense stats. It MUST run a Jolly Nature in OU, as with an Adamant nature, it only has the speed of a Choice Scarf Jolly Mienshao... which is not fast enough to outpace base 108s, specifically Terrakion. But seriously, if you really want to defeat Scarfed things like Scarf Heatran or Terrakion, just use Wobbuffet, who counters a hell of a lot more threats than Scarf Dugtrio does.

-Zane

P.S. Hidden Power Fighting gives Chandelure perfect coverage.

Please excuse the double post. I am having a little bit of trouble finishing this, and would appreciate a little feedback, for the sake of constructive criticism. The Life Orb (which will be rather easy, considering it is not too different from the Choice Band set - except in play style.) set is the main thing I need to finish before this is ready for QC checks.

-Zane

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you can combine the two sets as they are very similar. While Choice Band and Life Orb are played very differently, it would take all of a paragraph to describe the difference. It would also save you a lot of work

I think you can combine the two sets as they are very similar. While Choice Band and Life Orb are played very differently, it would take all of a paragraph to describe the difference. It would also save you a lot of work
I've been considering this for awhile. I mean, I'd imagine that I could describe the differences in style more fluidly if I went straight to prose for this analysis (and I probably should have, too...). But there are a good amount of differences in play style that make me very hesitant to. If I could have a QC mod back you up on that, I would do so in a heart beat. Less work for me.

-Zane

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, yeah, but I'd imagine it would only take another paragraph to do that, and not a whole new set.

You don't need to turn it into prose until after its approved. Trust me, it'll save you a shit ton of work if you keep it as a skeleton until QC can get to it.

You don't need to turn it into prose until after its approved. Trust me, it'll save you a shit ton of work if you keep it as a skeleton until QC can get to it.
I mean, the way I'm doing the bullets is practically in prose, anyways. But I guess it doesn't matter much.

-Zane

Edit: So much for doing it today. asdfasdfsadf.

Excuse the double post (again).

I am happy to say that this is (finally) ready for QC checks.

I apologize for how long this took to complete. I'd like to blame college for my irresponsibility, but that would be ironically irresponsible.

All that is left is the completion of the damage calculations list.

-Zane

[SET]
name: Oh no! You are-n-a trap!
move 3: Sucker Punch / Shadow Claw
move 4: Pursuit / Substitute / Memento
evs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 212 Spe
According to PO, you can 'just' speed tie with positive base 115 Pokemon with these EVs, not outspeeding them. But seeing that the sum of the EVs is 504, you probably just had a typo here.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Hey, I have a few suggestions for you. I think the set you have in the OP should look like the following:

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
evs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe

1. I changed the set name to "Physical Attacker." As much as I appreciate creativity when it comes to naming sets, there's a very high chance that your name won't be used. As said here, "custom set names for sets get added to analyses after the fact if the community at large starts referring to those sets by the custom names. Good examples of this are DPP BritScor and DPP Tinkerbell. These sets were named after the fact, and the community embraced those names long before they were used in the C&C analyses."
  2. I removed Pursuit as an option in the final move slot; it's very, very weak. What will you be using Pursuit on anyways? Latios and Latias can simply kill you with Dragon Pulse as they take around 20% if they don't switch out (even if they do switch out, they won't be taking much damage). The other Pokemon weak to Pursuit that are commonly seen in OU - Jellicent and Reuniclus - take laughable damage from Dugtrio's Pursuit due to their high defensive stats, and can kill you back easily. I'd just mention it in AC.
  3. With Pursuit no longer listed as an option, Sucker Punch doesn't have to be slashed with anything, leaving room for Shadow Claw to be listed in the final move slot alongside Substitute.
  4. The EV spread is now 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe. I just added 4 more EVs to Spe since your current EV spread only reaches a total of 504 Spe EVs. 216 Spe EVs also gives you the jump on base 115's like Starmie.
  5. I removed Memento as a slash. I honestly think you can afford to shift it down to OO. Giving it a slash seems unnecessary.
Lastly, if you haven't done so already , please mention Dugtrio's ability to use Stealth Rock somewhere in your analysis, preferably in OO (I didn't see it anywhere; sorry if I overlooked it). That's all I have for you. I'll give you an approval after the OP is updated with the appropriate changes.

Hey, I have a few suggestions for you. I think the set you have in the OP should look like the following:

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
evs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe

1. I changed the set name to "Physical Attacker." As much as I appreciate creativity when it comes to naming sets, there's a very high chance that your name won't be used. As said here, "custom set names for sets get added to analyses after the fact if the community at large starts referring to those sets by the custom names. Good examples of this are DPP BritScor and DPP Tinkerbell. These sets were named after the fact, and the community embraced those names long before they were used in the C&C analyses."
  2. I removed Pursuit as an option in the final move slot; it's very, very weak. What will you be using Pursuit on anyways? Latios and Latias can simply kill you with Dragon Pulse as they take around 20% if they don't switch out (even if they do switch out, they won't be taking much damage). The other Pokemon weak to Pursuit that are commonly seen in OU - Jellicent and Reuniclus - take laughable damage from Dugtrio's Pursuit due to their high defensive stats, and can kill you back easily. I'd just mention it in AC.
  3. With Pursuit no longer listed as an option, Sucker Punch doesn't have to be slashed with anything, leaving room for Shadow Claw to be listed in the final move slot alongside Substitute.
  4. The EV spread is now 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe. I just added 4 more EVs to Spe since your current EV spread only reaches a total of 504 Spe EVs. 216 Spe EVs also gives you the jump on base 115's like Starmie.
  5. I removed Memento as a slash. I honestly think you can afford to shift it down to OO. Giving it a slash seems unnecessary.
Lastly, if you haven't done so already , please mention Dugtrio's ability to use Stealth Rock somewhere in your analysis, preferably in OO (I didn't see it anywhere; sorry if I overlooked it). That's all I have for you. I'll give you an approval after the OP is updated with the appropriate changes.
1. NOOOOOOO. ;_; Can't it be "Oh no! You are-n-a Trap! (Physical Attacker)" or something?! I thought I was brilliant for that set name! It was Revenge Killer before, which I believe is a truer representation of Dugtrio's purpose. However, I changed it anyways.
2. I understand. I got some pretty good mileage from it though. When Latios was weak enough to die from a Sucker Punch, I used Pursuit to take him out as he switched. It worked pretty well for me because of that reason, as it spares me of the risk of Latios coming in again and firing a Draco Meteor off. It also helps that Latios is a very popular dude. Not to mention it's also a nice hit on Gengar (and the rare Azelf). But still. That's a rather particular situation, despite the fact that it was quite useful.
3. Done.
4. What the hell? My Word document had 216 Spe EVs, but the post had only 212. That's really weird, considering I remember double checking to make sure the EVs added up. I wonder how I did that. Fixed.
5. I REALLY don't like the idea of having Shadow Claw as the main slash, considering that Sucker Punch is already a now mandatory move. It seems almost useless in most situations as it loses the switch-catching utility of Pursuit, and lacks priority (and slightly higher BP) of Sucker Punch. I would rather keep Pursuit for Latios, or Aerial Ace even for Virizion because of that reason. I do think Memento still deserves a slash, due to the fact that Dugtrio becomes more or less dead weight after it takes out threats on your opponent's team. But if you say so...
6(?). I didn't make a mention because Dugtrio is a TERRIBLE user of Stealth Rock. Dugtrio does NOT have the opportunities to set it up, considering that it must KO opponents to survive with its pathetic defenses. Stealth Rock's distribution is so widespread that I don't believe access is good enough of a reason to slip it into the analysis. Dugtrio's job is to patch up weaknesses *cough* Tyranitar *cough* in your team. And if you're mentioning support, that's what Memento was for, except it IS a rare move, and it's, in my experience, an awesome move for the offensive teams Dugtrio is usually placed on. Dugtrio also appreciates Stealth Rock support to begin with, and it can't exactly utilize Stealth Rock if it's trying to set it up, itself. The only plus to using Stealth Rock on Dugtrio (as opposed to, say, Aerodactyl) is that Xatu nor Espeon can switch in. However, team preview makes that a rather moot point when using any Stealth Rock user, anyways. Seriously, I'd rather use Sandslash for Stealth Rock. SANDSLASH.

Besides the Stealth Rock suggestion, all changes have been made (however, I feel that you should definitely consider my rebuttal).

Hope this makes sense. I always seem to reply with elaborate posts when I'm extremely tired...

-Zane

P.S. Oh, I also have this analysis in prose more or less ready to be posted (once I add your suggestions to it). Just waiting for QC checks, yo.

Is it worth mentioning HP Ice somewhere? 58.8% - 70.1% on 252 hp Gliscor is a reliable 2HKO, and 61.4% - 72.7% on Jolly Landlos is cool too. Not to mention Mence, Chomp, Dragonite and the hated Jumpluff.

Also, Dugtrio learns SR. j/s

Is it worth mentioning HP Ice somewhere? 58.8% - 70.1% on 252 hp Gliscor is a reliable 2HKO, and 61.4% - 72.7% on Jolly Landlos is cool too. Not to mention Mence, Chomp, Dragonite and the hated Jumpluff.

Also, Dugtrio learns SR. j/s
Probably not. Gliscor's the only foe it can hit for stronger damage than Stone Edge or Earthquake, from the ones you listed. Except maybe Jumpluff. I didn't calculate that. lol. Dugtrio is likely to die from Earthquake if it has taken a little entry hazard damage, and assuming Life Orb recoil. And it will (almost undoubtedly) faint by killing basic Gliscor sets, considering it takes a minimum of 79.62% from Earthquake (factor in Life Orb). I mean, Dugtrio is really better off just switching into something else. Dugtrio also cannot switch into Gliscor, on its own, making it useless.

I already talked about Stealth Rock. While Dugtrio has the moveslot to have Stealth Rock, it does NOT have the time to use it (and when it does find time is when Dugtrio has finished its assassination, which is usually mid-late game, is usually when Memento is MUCH more helpful). Just because it gets Stealth Rock doesn't mean it should be mentioned. Look at serebii.net to know its movepool, and smogon.com for what is competitively viable. That's how I feel about it.

-Zane

Edit: Just realized. Poison Heal means Gliscor can survive.

I was staring at my whole rant about Stealth Rock and realized that it would be fine to put into the analysis if I'm mentioning how much of a liability it makes Dugtrio.

Therefore, all changes have been made. (Again, please consider my arguments!)

-Zane

Edit: Oh, and should I mention Toxic as an option? It's a great way to hinder a switch-in or revenge killer (especially Bulky Waters). It works well after Dugtrio has KOed all it can. However, I'd usually prefer to use Memento. Still, Poison- and Steel-types aren't usually all that happy to be matched up against Dugtrio, anyways.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there! I just wanted to clear a few things up for you.

1. NOOOOOOO. ;_; Can't it be "Oh no! You are-n-a Trap! (Physical Attacker)" or something?! I thought I was brilliant for that set name! It was Revenge Killer before, which I believe is a truer representation of Dugtrio's purpose. However, I changed it anyways.
That set name looked nonprofessional. (It was also too long) Revenge Killer is quick and to the point.

2. I understand. I got some pretty good mileage from it though. When Latios was weak enough to die from a Sucker Punch, I used Pursuit to take him out as he switched. It worked pretty well for me because of that reason, as it spares me of the risk of Latios coming in again and firing a Draco Meteor off. It also helps that Latios is a very popular dude. Not to mention it's also a nice hit on Gengar (and the rare Azelf). But still. That's a rather particular situation, despite the fact that it was quite useful.
Pursuit is absolutely worthless. Yes, there are times where Latios is in KO range for Shadow Claw, and Pursuit could nail him on to switch out. However, like Bloo said, if Latios decides to stay in you could end up losing Dugtrio. There's no need to risk your Dugtrio, especially when Shadow Claw is a good enough deterrent.

5. I REALLY don't like the idea of having Shadow Claw as the main slash, considering that Sucker Punch is already a now mandatory move. It seems almost useless in most situations as it loses the switch-catching utility of Pursuit, and lacks priority (and slightly higher BP) of Sucker Punch. I would rather keep Pursuit for Latios, or Aerial Ace even for Virizion because of that reason. I do think Memento still deserves a slash, due to the fact that Dugtrio becomes more or less dead weight after it takes out threats on your opponent's team. But if you say so...
Sucker Punch isn't reliable in the slightest. The simply fact that you can't reliably hit Subgengar, SubLatias, etc is what makes Sucker Punch a serious liability. Dugtrio rarely, if ever needs priority due to its high base speed.
Pursuit & Aerial Ace is OC material at best.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Sorry for my inactivity. I'm moving out and undergoing midterms at the same time. All work and no play. I'll convert this to prose ASAP.

-Zane

Edit: Update... my apartment has no internet. (I'm currently on my phone.) I'm done with the prose, but I just can't upload it yet. I'll do it at a cafe this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)