Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Seeing as how people have begun posting their thoughts on the games in various places, I thought i'd go ahead and create a topic where we can discuss the game without possibly derailing existing threads.

I just LOVE how battles are so much quicker now. There is no more of this:

Infernape used Close Combat!
*pause*
*attack animation*
*pause*
*wait 5 minutes for Blissey's HP to deplete*
*pause*
It's super effective!
*pause*
The opponent's Blissey fainted!
*weather, leftovers, etc etc*

Also lillipup isn't doing bad at all.

Yuggles

hey that second guy isn't too bad
So which one has better exclusives, and is the city or forest better?

I'd say the City is slightly better. It gives you more chances to fight daily, and you can, in theory, get all of the Pokemon you face through the GTS. Plus you can buy stuff like Fire Stones and the like.

After that, the only key differences are the legendaries. I think I prefer Tornadus (Tornelos or w/e) over Thundrus, but Zekrom over Reshiram. So it's a toss up there.

My favorite new feature when I played through was definitely the Rotation Battles. It's a shame they're not really implemented much. But then the double battle wasn't really implemented much in 3rd gen either.

Eventually I'm prolly gonna do a Nuzlocke run on Black, I think. I've beaten them too many times already, so it'll make it more exciting.

I'm going with Black, because I prefer Reshiram over Zekrom (as far as I know, I seem to be the only one o_O) and Black City has better background music, and you can battle trainers for EXP. Since there is no trainer rebattle option in this game, training might be a bit harder without Black City...

I don't care about the non-legendary version exclusives. You can easily trade for them.

Does anyone know if you can still use the GTS to evolve conkeldurr and stuff? I just caught a pretty good rockandroller.

Lillygant and Whimsicott arent too much of version exclusives, though, since you can obtain them from an in-game trade and proceed to mass breed. :3!

breh

強いだね
Has anybody noticed that the text is actually... somewhat comical this time around?

"This is bad!
Badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad!
Bad for Team Plasma!
Or Plasbad, for short!"

The last line was the best part, lol

Anyway, to stay on topic, White. It is far nicer in terms of what you can capture. However, if going for VGC, Tornadus may be a better choice since you can only get it in Black.

i feel like the quality of pokemon towards the end of the game in this generation.. is far superior to the ones in another other.. which is great and bad at the same time.. it's like i just have to manage my way throughout until mid-way, then i can start building my real team to finish the game, and start thinking competitively. game freak spoiled us this generation.. and i love it.

i have white, and im glad i did.. but black city looks beastly.

In the japanese version, going in the Ferris Wheel with a hiker resulted in a dialogue with a lot of sexual innuendo (ej, "Boy it is sure wet, hot, and sweaty up here...you feel me boy?"). There's also a hint in Castelia City about an orgy party going on ("Eek! the man over the elevator touched me! Is that the kind of party they're having up there?")
What happened to these dialogues? I can confirm they do in fact exist in the japanese version.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
god damn i love this game, honestly thinking about buying white after completing the ingame on black because it was that good!

Lillygant and Whimsicott arent too much of version exclusives, though, since you can obtain them from an in-game trade and proceed to mass breed. :3!
Fuuuuu...well hell if I knew that beforehand, I would have grabbed White over Black, as Whimsicott was one of the 2 main reasons I went with Black (other was the city, I thought it sounded better than a wimpy forest). Otherwise, I like Zekrom a lot more than Reshiram, as well as the rest of the White exclusives over Black. Crap...

Otherwise, my favorite addition so far is that you can re-use TMs indefinitely. I missed that somewhere from all the info on Serebii, it is pretty nice to not have to save every "good" TM instead of wasting them on story-mode Pokemon, offers more flexibility while progressing :D

Fuuuuu...well hell if I knew that beforehand, I would have grabbed White over Black, as Whimsicott was one of the 2 main reasons I went with Black (other was the city, I thought it sounded better than a wimpy forest). Otherwise, I like Zekrom a lot more than Reshiram, as well as the rest of the White exclusives over Black. Crap...

Otherwise, my favorite addition so far is that you can re-use TMs indefinitely. I missed that somewhere from all the info on Serebii, it is pretty nice to not have to save every "good" TM instead of wasting them on story-mode Pokemon, offers more flexibility while progressing :D
+100000

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
In White I like the Gym Leader, the eagle Pokemon, and Butterfree. In Black I like Hunchkrow, Breelom, and Black City.

I still don't know which one to get, both sound so sweet...

actually..sometimes the battle animations actually slow down and lag a little.. it's like they're making so much happen all at once. hope the game doesnt crash later on

I'll be getting Black in a few weeks when I return to America so I'll have both games eventually. Yay self trading!

I'm having so much fun with my White version. Much faster battling, kickass music, and awesome visuals (much more refined than DPPt if you ask me) are keeping me hooked, even after only one day. And because playing "set" style wasn't enough before, getting absolutely no trainer info from online is making the playing experience more interesting for me.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm about to face the first Gym Leader and I have a feeling I'm going to like the games much more now; I didn't like the region a single bit when playing JP Black and I guess I still won't, but now I'll have ~character development~ to follow and ~jokes~ to laugh at, so maybe they'll make up for the former and let me enjoy the game a bit more???

ps Gothitelle > Reuniclus

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
If only there were as many move tutor moves as their were in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Going to be downright annoying to have to go back to HGSS just for specific movesets.

Ah well, need Gen3 and Gen4 games to catch them all anyway. A good chunk of Pokemon do not appear in either game (unless you count the Dreamworld).

I'm really enjoying the game thus far, however, I don't know if it's due to my playstyle but it feels like my pokemon are extremely "frail".

Sigilyph is a real bitch ;_;

yeah, regret selling my other ds..

well. facing the 3rd gym.. and getting raped like no other. so far twice in a row.

roggenrola, dewott, and sandile... eh..

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Eventually I'm prolly gonna do a Nuzlocke run on Black, I think. I've beaten them too many times already, so it'll make it more exciting.
I'm not nuzlocking but god damn that seems like easy mode because before every "long" area there's a nurse/doctor that will heal your pokemon after you beat them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)