Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Oh, I didn't realize that it was based on level. I was trying to figure out why some of my pokes got fewer xp than others. I do not like that at all. I love infinite TMs though. I can't believe there isn't a poll on this thread for who you chose as your starter.

This is shaping up o be the best game yet. They fixed alot of nagging issues that were inexplicably never remedied (the battle speed increase and reusable tms being the two biggest).

I'm having trouble with victini. He's got a low capture rate and appears before you can buy ultra balls. Trying to catch a legendary with great balls sucks when you're soft resetting for a good one. Anyone know where i can get bigger balls?

(yes i did that on purpose)

This is shaping up o be the best game yet. They fixed alot of nagging issues that were inexplicably never remedied (the battle speed increase and reusable tms being the two biggest).

I'm having trouble with victini. He's got a low capture rate and appears before you can buy ultra balls. Trying to catch a legendary with great balls sucks when you're soft resetting for a good one. Anyone know where i can get bigger balls?

(yes i did that on purpose)
Well, I had two Ultra Balls when I got to him. I think there's one hidden in the bins on Victini's island; not sure where I got the other one from... Pickup, maybe? Anyway, Victini was a good little creature and stayed inside the first ball I threw. 31 Attack IV Brave... Then I decided to reset and come back when RNG was ready.

I'm really glad I decided not to pre-order this anywhere. Went to Toys R Us yesterday morning right before it opened, was the third person inside to pick up my game vouchers, and got them both, at buy one get one 50% off. Plus, I got two of those Legendary Kits for free (I'm not big on special styli, but the black and white Pokemon game cases are nice), and Reshiram and Zekrom wall clings, which were a pre-order bonus but I got them for some reason anyway. I'm very happy with how this turned out, got $40+ of free stuff including the 50% off the second game, couldn't have gone any better. Now if only TRU would stock their Transformers section with current stuff...

Anyway, I'm really liking the games so far. The only complaints I have are the pauses right before a wild battle ensues, and the slight pause right before you attack. It keeps making me think my attack missed. It's also annoying to have to open your Pokedex twice.
Also, I miss having the menu on the bottom screen. Does anyone know what that little check box does in the bottom of all the menus?

Skip over him and come back later?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
If you proceed a little bit further in the game, Professor Juniper gives you 10 Ultra Balls for free.

If you proceed a little bit further in the game, Professor Juniper gives you 10 Ultra Balls for free.
This is what you gotta do because great balls aren't geting the job done. It took two hours before i caught my first timid one and it had 0-8 speed and spa ivs. I'm just afraid its not gonna be there when i get back.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you shake grass (or other shakeable places)?
I just started playing this morning, and thought there had to be more pokes by the first town than lillipup and the beaver looking thing. So, I looked and saw there is one pokemon catchable by shaking grass.
You just wait. Walk around and the grass will start to shake. Samething with the water and in caves.

I would complain about the experience thing but Audino are everywhere and you get a Lucky Egg and 2 Exp Shares pretty early on so grinding is really the least of my worries.

Volt Switch was a bitch, too, especially since I didn't want a Sandile. I think I relied on Hyper Potions and Rock Throw.

Also got a shiny Venipede the first day I got it B] (Shinies show up in the Pokédex now which is neat, but if you see a shiny version before the regular version only the shiny is displayed which is kinda annoying but whatever.)

My current team: Snivy (wish I picked Oshawott u_u); Seismitoad (picked the fucking Archen fossil u_u); Excadrill, Scolipede (shiny); Scrafty (Moxie, holy shit); Lampent (waiting for a Dusk Stone.)

The game is just too amazing. I know so little... It's like Red and Blue all over again. I got Victini in a Nest Ball. It broke out of an Ultra Ball while in yellow hp and asleep (My fire monkey is great), but I caught it in a Nest Ball when it awoke. It's Rash (Fuck defence, gogogo offence). I'm still yet to defeat the Bug leader, but with 2 fire types, Dewott and Gurrdurrhurrdurr it'll be easy.

WHY IS THIS GAME SO AMAZING?!

I would complain about the experience thing but Audino are everywhere and you get a Lucky Egg and 2 Exp Shares pretty early on so grinding is really the least of my worries.

Volt Switch was a bitch, too, especially since I didn't want a Sandile. I think I relied on Hyper Potions and Rock Throw.

Also got a shiny Venipede the first day I got it B] (Shinies show up in the Pokédex now which is neat, but if you see a shiny version before the regular version only the shiny is displayed which is kinda annoying but whatever.)

My current team: Snivy (wish I picked Oshawott u_u); Seismitoad (picked the fucking Archen fossil u_u); Excadrill, Scolipede (shiny); Scrafty (Moxie, holy shit); Lampent (waiting for a Dusk Stone.)
Dusk Stone is in a cave right off of route 6 or there is also one in the relic castle I think.

After I evolved mine last night... wow. Thing destroys everything with Shadow Ball and/or that one flame attack it has.

Still on the topic of Elesa:

Some people think she's easy, others think otherwise. But, I think we can all agree that she is the hardest GL in this game.

1st Gym: Starter/Dog, Elemental Monkey. Virutally a tutorial in types.
2nd Gym: Easy if you picked up a Red/Blue fighting type. Otherwise, 2nd hardest gym
3rd Gym: Tranquil + Super Luck + Scope Lens + Air Cutter = GG. Pignite too.
4th Gym: Nothing at this point in the game can sweep it without overleveling significantly
5th Gym: Lilligant DESTROYS this gym. I swept it with Maractus for crying out loud... and not just Clay, but the whole gym. Without going to a pokemon center. And I was Lv 31 upon going in. [34 when I came out, and I OHKO'ed EXCADRILL with MARACTUS]
6th Gym: Everything in ChargeStone Cave defeats it. EVERYTHING.
7th Gym: TM Brick Break is in the same town... he's about has hard as Pryce :/
8th Gym: 2nd most difficult Gym if you tackled Aloe with a Red/Blue Fighting type, 3rd otherwise. Could be the hardest gym, but Iris/Drayden's AI, and movesets, severly fail. They Dragon Dance one too many times, and DD + Dragon Tail = WHAT?

In difficulty, IMO, from least to most:

Gym 1
Gym 7
Gym 5
Gym 6
Gym 3
Gym 8/Gym 2
Gym 4

This is what you gotta do because great balls aren't geting the job done. It took two hours before i caught my first timid one and it had 0-8 speed and spa ivs. I'm just afraid its not gonna be there when i get back.
It'll still be there. The little insert that came inside the game box says that Victini will come back if you knock it out or flee, and will keep coming back until you catch it.

It'll still be there. The little insert that came inside the game box says that Victini will come back if you knock it out or flee, and will keep coming back until you catch it.
So I can just leave the little guy there and skip till post-e4 and come back? Nice.

Right now I'm trying to hurry and get through the desert areas asap. >.<

The Fourth gym was... one of the easiest for me. Of course, my Zebstrika completely swept it. Motor Drive meant her Pokemon couldn't use Volt Switch, and all they had left that he doesn't resist is Pursuit / Quick Attack (Flame Charge in her Zebstrika's case). I purchased Return in the Pokemon Center and it 2HKO Zebstrika while Spark wrecked her Emolga. I guess that's the zebra's only niche in this entire game. XD

Echoing many others in saying that I love this game, the reusable TMs (WHY DID THEY NOT DO THIS BEFORE), the scenery (bridge was epic), the music...honestly it's my favorite main series game so far. Also love all the Mother 3 references. Just got past the forest, hoping I can snag a Scraggy sometimes soon.

Anyone find it odd with all the Japanese lessons in the game though?

So I can just leave the little guy there and skip till post-e4 and come back? Nice.

Right now I'm trying to hurry and get through the desert areas asap. >.<
It's true. I went and got the ultra balls from juniper and came back and the little shit is still sitting there. I swear it's laughing at me.

It's broken out of all 12 ultra balls while paralyzed and in the red three times already. I will see you in hell victini.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That "fake trade" glitch doesn't work anymore; if you want to evolve your Gurdurr, you'll need to trade with someone else.

Serious question: why does every enemy in the game have either Protect, Detect, Swagger or Confuse Ray.

It's just really really annoying right now.
We complained about Zubat in every cave, so they went and made EVERY SINGLE ROUTE HAVE THEIR OWN ZUBAT. Yay.

BTW my Nuzlocke team was Boldore/Gurdurr/Panpour/Darumaka/Servine and I got through Elesa "just fine". Of course, if it weren't for Zebstrika missing its Flame Charge on Servine (God bless Leaf Tornado), shit would get much, much more serious...

Why is everyone saying Victini is hard to catch =/ I caught in a poke ball for crying out loud.

Right now, I'm heading through Victory Road, and 3 words...Scrafty...Wrecks...Everything.

I'm having trouble keeping the rest of my team even levelled...and poor Rufflet dies to everything.

EDIT: Some things I like in this game:

Free Lucky Egg
Doctors/Nurses in far-from-PC areas
Scraggy!
Shaking patches w/ XP-bucket Audino
Reuseable TMs
Work Up at first gym. You have no idea how much i use this move lol.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Why is everyone saying Victini is hard to catch =/ I caught in a poke ball for crying out loud.
It has a catch rate of 3. Which is the same catch rate as most legendaries (IE: Mewtwo, Giratina, Latios, and so on). Which means it will be obnoxious to try to catch, no matter what you do to it.

Catching it with a standard Poke Ball is just plain luck, but it can be done.

The best Poke Ball you can use on Victini, besides a Master Ball, is a Timer Ball after 40 turns, followed by a Dusk Ball.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
A word of warning about using the Relocator:

If you use it, it will transfer all event Raikous, Enteis, Suicunes, and Celebis from your Gen 4 game to your Gen 5 game all at once, except those in your party. So if you want to transfer them one at a time, it's best to move the ones you don't want to move either into your party, or onto another game pack.

It has a catch rate of 3. Which is the same catch rate as most legendaries (IE: Mewtwo, Giratina, Latios, and so on). Which means it will be obnoxious to try to catch, no matter what you do to it.

Catching it with a standard Poke Ball is just plain luck, but it can be done.

The best Poke Ball you can use on Victini, besides a Master Ball, is a Timer Ball after 40 turns, followed by a Dusk Ball.
Really, a catch rate of 3? I thought it was 30 (Like the other pixies). I must just be lucky.

IIRC, when you first get to Victini, you have access to quick ball/net ball/poke ball/great. Not really a plethora of choices to use. Catch it after Burgh, and it's massively underleveled =/

Did anyone else notice that on the screen where you check you stats they've highlighted which ones are raised and lowered by your nature? The stat that is raised has a pinkish color and the one that's lowered is blue. Probably not useful for most people but it's interesting that they're giving more information to the players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)