B&W Research Thread

^Have you tried names like "sh1t"?

I'm not sure if this piece of trivia was known before (or in past generations), but Quick Claw's activation message goes before switching. (This only matters in doubles/triples or if the opponent will also switch/use items but then you can also react to the item used or the switch.)

It seems to be easy to work around this swear filter. I managed to rename my Fearow "Hitler ", including a space after the name. "Fuck Shit" also works.

Someone try to Poké Transfer something from Generation IV with a banned nickname, see what happens.

As for that Quick Claw thing, I don't believe that was known. All I knew about Quick Claw in Generation V is that it had an activation message now.

Tonight I'm gonna delete Iron Tail from my Skuntank, see if that lets me trade it. As I said, though, it wouldn't make much sense, as my Chimecho with Shock Wave (Generation III-IV TM) AND Icy Wind (Generation III-IV Move Tutor) got through with no problem. I dunno. Maybe the programmers just hate Iron Tail?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It seems to be easy to work around this swear filter. I managed to rename my Fearow "Hitler ", including a space after the name. "Fuck Shit" also works.
Good, so the "Hitler used Hail!" joke is still alive. But even with this filter, you could just transfer obscenely-named pokémon from DPPt to B/W, no?

As for that Quick Claw thing, I don't believe that was known. All I knew about Quick Claw in Generation V is that it had an activation message now.
It already had an activation message in DPPt.

I'm not sure if this piece of trivia was known before (or in past generations), but Quick Claw's activation message goes before switching. (This only matters in doubles/triples or if the opponent will also switch/use items but then you can also react to the item used or the switch.)
Wait, you mean only the message, right?

But even with this filter, you could just transfer obscenely-named pokémon from DPPt to B/W, no?
That's exactly what I'd like to see answered. I already Poké Transfered my HG dry, so I'm not in much of a position to test this just yet.

It already had an activation message in DPPt.
No it didn't. It would just do that little animation, with no accompanying text. Before I knew this meant Quick Claw activation, I was extremely confused while trying to catch a wild Sneasel, I remember this quite clearly.

breh

強いだね
Poison no longer causes damage outside of battle, as far as I can see. I apologize if this was already known.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
A question about wonder skin/miracle skin. Pokemon Online originally programmed the ability to have a 50% chance to make status moves such as spore, confuse ray, will-o-wisp, etc, fail. According to a friend in real life who purchased an english copy, sygilyph's wonder skin has yet to do so. Instead it has a 50% chance to make moves such as leer, embargo, torment, metal sound, screen, etc., fail. But not once has it worked on status inducing moves.

Can somebody else confirm whether or not wonder skin actually works on spore for example? Or is it just limited to what I mentioned above?

I don't have a Sigilyph, and it's spelt with an i.

Although, why exactly the GTS won't accept Shadow Pokes and Iron Tail? Doesn't make sense.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A question about wonder skin/miracle skin. Pokemon Online originally programmed the ability to have a 50% chance to make status moves such as spore, confuse ray, will-o-wisp, etc, fail. According to a friend in real life who purchased an english copy, sygilyph's wonder skin has yet to do so. Instead it has a 50% chance to make moves such as leer, embargo, torment, metal sound, screen, etc., fail. But not once has it worked on status inducing moves.

Can somebody else confirm whether or not wonder skin actually works on spore for example? Or is it just limited to what I mentioned above?
First post of the thread says Miracle Skin was tested with Thunder Wave (that's what the little links are for), and showed it blocked it 50% of the time. You've just been unlucky.

Although, why exactly the GTS won't accept Shadow Pokes and Iron Tail? Doesn't make sense.
Well, now I know Iron Tail isn't the problem. Just traded away a Raichu that knew Iron Tail. The problem must be something else wrong with my Skuntank. As for former Shadow Pokemon, I think I know why. The game gives ribbons specific categories now. Classic Ribbons (the event Pokemon ribbons designed to prevent GTS trading) and National Ribbons (the purification ribbons) are both categorized as Gift Ribbons, so obviously the game erroneously assumes that all Gift Ribbons mean no GTS trading.

That said, I'm still stumped about my Skuntank.

I don't know if it's been posted, but regarding the quick claw, the activation message will show up before an enemy is healed.
I was fighting Cheren in the desert with my Venipede, and had lowered his Servine's health to red.
'Quick claw allows Venipede to attack first'
'Cheren used a super potion on Servine'
'Venipede used Poison Tail'

Does anybody know when the message would show up if a faster enemy used a priority move?

I lold hard at the nickname 9/11. Chinchin (penis) is also banned, damnit.
Quick question here, is there a known method to rng in Gen V?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Does anybody know when the message would show up if a faster enemy used a priority move?
Quick Claw activated on my Roggenrola against a Patrat using Detect (why does every single opponent in the game know Protect or Detect and use it at every opportunity for ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAMN REASON?!). Quick Claw message, then Detect, then my attack.
Quick question here, is there a known method to rng in Gen V?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83057

I don't know if it's been posted, but regarding the quick claw, the activation message will show up before an enemy is healed.
I just posted pretty much that. (Item use has the same priority as switching.)
Quick Claw activated on my Roggenrola against a Patrat using Detect (why does every single opponent in the game know Protect or Detect and use it at every opportunity for ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAMN REASON?!). Quick Claw message, then Detect, then my attack.
Actually, maybe if a faster pokemon switches or uses an item? Maybe it has the same priority as that. Also maybe we should see how Quick Claw's activation message compares to Pursuit's priority when the target switches.

I just posted pretty much that. (Item use has the same priority as switching.)Actually, maybe if a faster pokemon switches or uses an item? Maybe it has the same priority as that. Also maybe we should see how Quick Claw's activation message compares to Pursuit's priority when the target switches.
Sorry about that, I didn't read your post properly and didn't know that item use and switching had the same priority.

This is the new formula for calculating experience in the Black and White games.

Whenever a Pokémon defeats another Pokémon in an internal battle, each Pokémon that participated in the battle against it gains Exp. Points (or experience points). The number of Exp. Points a Pokémon gains this way is based on a formula shown below. Each multiplication and division given is rounded down unless noted otherwise.

Exp. Points = (sqrt(X)*(X*X))*Z/(sqrt(Y)*(Y*Y))+1

where:
  • X = opponent's level + opponent's level + 10
  • Y = opponent's level + participant's level + 10
  • Z = (opponent's base experience * opponent's level / 5), rounded down. If this is a Trainer battle, Z is multiplied by 1.5 and rounded down. Then, if at least one Pokémon in the player's party is holding Exp. Share, Z is halved and rounded up. Z is then divided evenly, rounded down, among all participants, and again among all Pokémon in the player's party holding Exp. Share. (Thus a Pokémon can earn more Exp. Points both by being a participant and by holding Exp. Share.)
  • "sqrt(N)" means "the square root of N". The result of the square root function is not rounded and is accurate to the nearest 1/4096.
If a Pokémon has a different 32-bit Trainer ID and/or OT name from the player's, the experience it earns is multiplied by 1.5, or if it also comes from a different language version from the player's, by 6963/4096, and rounded to the nearest whole number. If the Pokémon is holding Lucky Egg, the experience it earns is multiplied by 1.5 and rounded to the nearest whole number. If the player received the "Exp. Point Power" from another player, and that power is active, the experience the Pokemon earns is multiplied by the following ratios and rounded down:
Power ↓: 50/100; Power ↓↓: 66/100; Power ↓↓↓: 80/100; Power ↑: 120/100; Power ↑↑: 150/100; Power ↑↑↑, Power S, Power MAX: 200/100.​

Not exactly B/W only, but still interesting:

If you inflict Poison, Burn or Paralysis on a Pokémon with Synchronize while it's
holding a Lum Berry, which activates first? Does it bounce back the status
and THEN gets healed, or does the Lum Berry have a higher priority than
Synchronize?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)