Data Battle Tower (For all your Match-Seeking Needs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see text...

But anyway, I don't got anything good enough to join such a big clash.

edit: oops, my post made a new page lol. Here Ducklett!

I'd like to propose something a little different; if it's not within my bounds to do something like this, I'll gladly step down and forget about it should a mod tell me to. Anyway, what I'd like to propose is a chain of battles, all with the same participants, linked together by a common RP plot. I'm thinking 3 battles, because nobody's done something like this and I'd like to start fairly small. If it works out and the participants enjoy, the chain can be lengthened, or we can start a new one with a longer one in mind. I will be the 'ref' of these 3 matches, moderating the battles and controlling any NPCs that may feature prominently (hint hint). Again, in order to start simple, it'll be a series of matches featuring only 2 trainers. If you're interested, you should also be interested in roleplaying; your trainer character should have some sort of personality worked out. Backstory or anything extensive isn't necessary (although you're certainly welcome), just an interest in and willingness to RP. You'll be encouraged to interact with/react to the other trainer beyond just giving your commands in battle or throwing in the occasional taunt -- regular paragraph format is also highly encouraged. Here's the hook that I have in mind:

-----

"It's true!" insisted the barkeep, "I saw 'im with my own two eyes!"

"Oi Tom, anybody tell ya you shouldn't drink on the job?" The jibe had come from one of the patrons of the sparsely populated pub. Relative to Tom, he was at the far end of the bar, nursing an empty glass. He was hunched over and ragged-looking, but his speech was clear, so the night was still young.

The joint they were in looked like exactly the kind of place eccentric individuals would gather and tell outlandish tales in -- it was cared for, but aged in ways that made it look shabby. The tables, chairs and bar were all made of wood, and a whispy layer of smoke hung about the space due to all of the smokers.

His walrus-like mustache bristling in indignation, Tom continued. "I don't need any of yer guff tonight, Sam -- it was a shiny Absol, plain as that empty glass in yer hand. Need a refill, by the way?"

Sam waved his cup in the air and nodded. "And what's that supposed to mean, anyway? 'Shiny'?"

"Well some Pokemon, they're funny lookin' -- different colors, you know." The barkeep's eyes widened as he filled his patron's glass. "This Absol, it had kinda pink fur, and it's horn and tail were bright red."

Sam's eyebrow raised so high, it was in danger of flying right off his face. He took a swig of his drink before rambling, "Uh-huh. So let's say you really saw this 'shiny' Absol." Tom nodded vigorously as Sam continued, clearly unaware that he was being mocked, "What, you just happened to be trekking out in the foothills, and then you happened upon some creepy, run-down ruins, and in these ruins, you just happened to see a bright pink Absol."

Tom's face was practically gleaming with stupid, childlike wonder. Sam could tell that, no matter how crazy it sounded, the barkeep believed it with all his heart.

"Sounds like a Pokemon Trainer's dream, if ya ask me." Sam drained the remainder of his glass and tapped it on the table. At the gesture, Tom turned around to retrieve the bottle as he suggested, "I wouldn't be so sure. Somethin' about that Absol... I tell ya, somethin' was off."

"Off? Besides it being fabulously pink? Or an Absol, for that matter?"

"Only superstitious buffoons believe in all that nonsense about Absol bein' a bad omen and all that. But this one. I tell ya, he looked at me and sent shivers down my spine. Felt like I was never gonna be happy again."

Sam chuckled into his drink, "Well, I'll let all of the 'superstitious buffoons' know that there's an especially evil Absol on the loose. Although, if you're that worried about it... you could always sick Bruiser on him, really give 'im a piece of your mind."

At the mention of 'Bruiser', Sam turned around and tilted his glass toward a grossly obese Stoutland, sleeping on his back in a natty dog bed in the corner of the bar.

Tom absently began to clean a glass, his eyes widening and his voice going low in ominous reverie. "I was quite the trainer in my day... but even then, I'd leave that Absol well enough alone. Some Pokemon are just... bad eggs, if you ask me. And he was one of 'em. Ain't nothin' good can come to anybody that picks a fight with him."

-----

So for any interested RPers out there, there's your hook; the idea is that somehow, you overheard this conversation, and you're headed to the ruins to try and capture this rare Absol. For any mods reading, no I do not intend to hand out Pokemon in any capacity. This is strictly a roleplaying hook, and without spoiling too much, nobody is going to be capturing any Pokemon. Here are the battle specs:

Arena - Mountain Ruins

Nestled deep within some craggy foothills, the trainers have come upon a set of ominous ruins. The ruins themselves are nestled in a small valley, with cliffs rising to the north, east and west. It took our trainers all day to get here, and the sun will be going down soon -- the use of Sunny Day will be ineffective.

The battlefield appears to have once been a courtyard of some sort, with fallen marble pillars and statues of legendary Pokemon littering the area. Toward the far end of the courtyard rises a sheer cliff-face -- set within the cliff is a grandiose archway leading into the ruins below, but we won't be headed down there (yet). In the center of the couryard is a pool of still water that is deep enough to be swam in (why is it filled, I wonder...?). The trainers will eventually encounter Shiny Absol, who will observe, and sometimes alter the battle...

3v3 Singles
All Abilities
No Items
DQ Time - 3 Days
5 Chills/1 Recovery/3 Partial Recoveries

As I said, I will act as the ref for these battles, so the next step is for two RP-willing combatants to step up. This should be fun, and you'll be able to say that you got to participate in the first experimental RP of CAP ASB -- you know you want to!

If anyone is up for reffing a 2v2, that would be awesome:

Hmm, I think I'll make one more.

2v2 Doubles.
DQ: 2 Days.
1 use of Rest/Recover etc, 5 chills
Arena: Dotted Hole

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/kanto/dottedhole.shtml#frlg-b1f

The Dotted Hole has five floors, each with a hole leading up and down. Going up or down a hole counts as an action, and the floors are about five feet thick - an Earthquake attack or a missed Focus Punch might break one! The entire cavern is made out of rock, so Dig attacks don't work.
Flora said:
Switch = KO (we're not switching anyway)
DQ: 3 days (can be more if requested)
1 ability
If not, I'd like to fill my quota of soon-to-be three battles (1 of which is inactive) with a 1v1:

Anyone up for this? =D I don't think it's that complicated (for me anyway). Just full of hazards!

1v1
Singles
4 Day DQ
1 recovery move, 3 chills

Arena: At the late-night street
It's pretty scary. Dark, chilly, and just scary. At least there are a few lamp posts lit! There's a 50% chance that your Pokemon will be jumped by a gangster, dealing 3 damage (pure, no ups or downs). There's a 25% chance that your Pokemon will get shot by a gangster, dealing 4 pure damage (though I have no idea how your Pokemon lives the attack). And lastly, there's a 10% chance that your Pokemon (actually, both Pokemon for that matter, unless they're at the sidewalk) will get hit by a drunk driver, dealing 5 pure damage. All of the events are independent of each other; they can all happen at the same time. These events will happen at the end of each round. The first two events will have the RNG check for both Pokemon individually, while the third event will have the RNG only check for once (since it's one single car going through the road).

Your Pokemon will initially be on the street for the battle. There are cars filled up near both sidewalks, but if you can remove them (or one) (cars have 15 HP each, no defense or anything of that matter), you can put your Pokemon upon the side walk with an action (takes 1 action - Move to Sidewalk). Cars explode upon impact, dealing 5 damage to Pokemon near it. On the sidewalk, your Pokemon will take reduced damage (so instead of taking full on 100%, your Pokemon will take 80% damage). Additionally, if several cars are still in the way, your Pokemon can be behind the car to block ranged attacks while on the sidewalk. Of course, your enemy can do this too. And of course, your Pokemon can get knocked out of the sidewalk. Your Pokemon cannot dig upon the sidewalk as it's really hard concrete! Let's say you can't have your Pokemon be flying upon the sidewalk as well, as there's some parts of nearby buildings sticking out at the area preventing that from happening.

Different colors of cars give each car a separate name to call them. For example, the red car... you can call it the red car! This is so you can order your Pokemon to destroy/do whatever to a specific car, unless you have an Area of Effect move like Earthquake.

Yes, you may see gaps in between the cars, but let's just say that they're so narrow your Pokemon can't fit between them!

Colors of cars from top left to bottom, then top right to bottom: Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Light Blue, Black, Grey, Brown, Green, Pink

If I need more information, I can do that.

I might not be fully understanding Ducklett's post, but if I am, I'd like in. Sounds very interesting. That should fill up my active quota as of now. If you only want 2, Ducklett, disregard me. I'll try next time.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Looking for a battle to fill up my quota...

2v2 Doubles
3 day DQ
No Recovers / No Chills

ARENA: Rock Cave
A rock cave. There are rocks in the cave. Rock Pokemon can easily disguise themselves as rocks in this rock-filled rock cave. There is a small pool of water in the middle for water Pokemon to swim in. There are neither stalactites nor stalagmites in the cave. The ground is extremely hard, so any digging or seismic activity will fail.

I might not be fully understanding Ducklett's post, but if I am, I'd like in. Sounds very interesting. That should fill up my active quota as of now. If you only want 2, Ducklett, disregard me. I'll try next time.
You and Banryu were the first two to respond -- I will act as the ref, so if you two 'accept' this, then PM me your teams and we can get started!

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All

2v2 Doubles
3 day DQ
No Recovers / No Chills

A rock cave. There are rocks in the cave. Rock Pokemon can easily disguise themselves as rocks in this rock-filled rock cave. There is a small pool of water in the middle for water Pokemon to swim in. There are neither stalactites nor stalagmites in the cave. The ground is extremely hard, so any digging or seismic activity will fail.
I'll take that challenge Engineer.

No items or abilities.

And we'll need a ref.

2v2 Doubles
3 day DQ
No Recovers / No Chills

I'll take that challenge Engineer.

No items or abilities.

And we'll need a ref.

Gonna ref PM me your squads

Sorry for double posting but...

I issue a challenge!

3v3 singles
2 days DQ
Rest/Recover-like moves are banned, up to 5 chills are allowed

ARENA: Shimmering Flats

Basically, a salty desert with no sources of water available. It's just some minutes after dawn, so the heat is tolerable. The soil is very tricky, though. Anyone attempting to dig through it will take 10 damage per action, either because of corrosion or withering.

Im issuing an open CHALLENGE

2v2 singles
DQ 4 days
No recovery/ 5 chills

Arena:
The forest of Pandora from Avatar
For the sake of simplicity, no animals will come out and bother us
Dense really large Fauna surrounds a 50 square foot clearing
with a 3 foot deep river running through the middle
Trainers start on opposite sides of the river
and you can go into the jungle a bit but you shouldnt go more than 100 feet from the starting area

2v2 singles
DQ 4 days
No recovery/ 5 chills

Arena:
and you can go into the jungle a bit but you shouldnt go more than 100 feet from the starting area
I'll accept.

All abilities
No items
Switch=KO

I'll ref this match,too. PM me your teams gentlemen.

Originally Posted by Fat PinkCaptainFalcon

2v2 singles
DQ 4 days
No recovery/ 5 chills

Arena:

Sorry for double posting but...

I issue a challenge!

3v3 singles
2 days DQ
Rest/Recover-like moves are banned, up to 5 chills are allowed

ARENA: Shimmering Flats

Basically, a salty desert with no sources of water available. It's just some minutes after dawn, so the heat is tolerable. The soil is very tricky, though. Anyone attempting to dig through it will take 10 damage per action, either because of corrosion or withering.
ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT

Items ON
ONE Ability
Switch = KO
I'll ref. Send me your teams and stuff.

Shoot. I just realized that with that last challenge I accepted, I'd be up to four battles. D: Ducklettstare, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to withdraw from your RP Battle for the time being. It's just as well, because as much as I like the idea, I don't know that I'd have the time to dedicate to it... sorry. D: I'm sure plenty of other people are itching at the chance to do a roleplay like that, though.

If not, I'd like to fill my quota of soon-to-be three battles (1 of which is inactive) with a 1v1:

Anyone up for this? =D I don't think it's that complicated (for me anyway). Just full of hazards!

1v1
Singles
4 Day DQ
1 recovery move, 3 chills

Arena: At the late-night street
It's pretty scary. Dark, chilly, and just scary. At least there are a few lamp posts lit! There's a 50% chance that your Pokemon will be jumped by a gangster, dealing 3 damage (pure, no ups or downs). There's a 25% chance that your Pokemon will get shot by a gangster, dealing 4 pure damage (though I have no idea how your Pokemon lives the attack). And lastly, there's a 10% chance that your Pokemon (actually, both Pokemon for that matter, unless they're at the sidewalk) will get hit by a drunk driver, dealing 5 pure damage. All of the events are independent of each other; they can all happen at the same time. These events will happen at the end of each round. The first two events will have the RNG check for both Pokemon individually, while the third event will have the RNG only check for once (since it's one single car going through the road).

Your Pokemon will initially be on the street for the battle. There are cars filled up near both sidewalks, but if you can remove them (or one) (cars have 15 HP each, no defense or anything of that matter), you can put your Pokemon upon the side walk with an action (takes 1 action - Move to Sidewalk). Cars explode upon impact, dealing 5 damage to Pokemon near it. On the sidewalk, your Pokemon will take reduced damage (so instead of taking full on 100%, your Pokemon will take 80% damage). Additionally, if several cars are still in the way, your Pokemon can be behind the car to block ranged attacks while on the sidewalk. Of course, your enemy can do this too. And of course, your Pokemon can get knocked out of the sidewalk. Your Pokemon cannot dig upon the sidewalk as it's really hard concrete! Let's say you can't have your Pokemon be flying upon the sidewalk as well, as there's some parts of nearby buildings sticking out at the area preventing that from happening.

Different colors of cars give each car a separate name to call them. For example, the red car... you can call it the red car! This is so you can order your Pokemon to destroy/do whatever to a specific car, unless you have an Area of Effect move like Earthquake.

Yes, you may see gaps in between the cars, but let's just say that they're so narrow your Pokemon can't fit between them!

Colors of cars from top left to bottom, then top right to bottom: Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Light Blue, Black, Grey, Brown, Green, Pink

If I need more information, I can do that.

I'll challenge you Flora.

Switch= You fail
No Item
One ability.

Shoot. I just realized that with that last challenge I accepted, I'd be up to four battles. D: Ducklettstare, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to withdraw from your RP Battle for the time being. It's just as well, because as much as I like the idea, I don't know that I'd have the time to dedicate to it... sorry. D: I'm sure plenty of other people are itching at the chance to do a roleplay like that, though.
Woops, I just sent you a PM, too :x Well no worries, if this turns out to be fun, I'll hold more RP events in the future. For anybody else interested, here's the initial post:

I'd like to propose something a little different; if it's not within my bounds to do something like this, I'll gladly step down and forget about it should a mod tell me to. Anyway, what I'd like to propose is a chain of battles, all with the same participants, linked together by a common RP plot. I'm thinking 3 battles, because nobody's done something like this and I'd like to start fairly small. If it works out and the participants enjoy, the chain can be lengthened, or we can start a new one with a longer one in mind. I will be the 'ref' of these 3 matches, moderating the battles and controlling any NPCs that may feature prominently (hint hint). Again, in order to start simple, it'll be a series of matches featuring only 2 trainers. If you're interested, you should also be interested in roleplaying; your trainer character should have some sort of personality worked out. Backstory or anything extensive isn't necessary (although you're certainly welcome), just an interest in and willingness to RP. You'll be encouraged to interact with/react to the other trainer beyond just giving your commands in battle or throwing in the occasional taunt -- regular paragraph format is also highly encouraged. Here's the hook that I have in mind:

-----

"It's true!" insisted the barkeep, "I saw 'im with my own two eyes!"

"Oi Tom, anybody tell ya you shouldn't drink on the job?" The jibe had come from one of the patrons of the sparsely populated pub. Relative to Tom, he was at the far end of the bar, nursing an empty glass. He was hunched over and ragged-looking, but his speech was clear, so the night was still young.

The joint they were in looked like exactly the kind of place eccentric individuals would gather and tell outlandish tales in -- it was cared for, but aged in ways that made it look shabby. The tables, chairs and bar were all made of wood, and a whispy layer of smoke hung about the space due to all of the smokers.

His walrus-like mustache bristling in indignation, Tom continued. "I don't need any of yer guff tonight, Sam -- it was a shiny Absol, plain as that empty glass in yer hand. Need a refill, by the way?"

Sam waved his cup in the air and nodded. "And what's that supposed to mean, anyway? 'Shiny'?"

"Well some Pokemon, they're funny lookin' -- different colors, you know." The barkeep's eyes widened as he filled his patron's glass. "This Absol, it had kinda pink fur, and it's horn and tail were bright red."

Sam's eyebrow raised so high, it was in danger of flying right off his face. He took a swig of his drink before rambling, "Uh-huh. So let's say you really saw this 'shiny' Absol." Tom nodded vigorously as Sam continued, clearly unaware that he was being mocked, "What, you just happened to be trekking out in the foothills, and then you happened upon some creepy, run-down ruins, and in these ruins, you just happened to see a bright pink Absol."

Tom's face was practically gleaming with stupid, childlike wonder. Sam could tell that, no matter how crazy it sounded, the barkeep believed it with all his heart.

"Sounds like a Pokemon Trainer's dream, if ya ask me." Sam drained the remainder of his glass and tapped it on the table. At the gesture, Tom turned around to retrieve the bottle as he suggested, "I wouldn't be so sure. Somethin' about that Absol... I tell ya, somethin' was off."

"Off? Besides it being fabulously pink? Or an Absol, for that matter?"

"Only superstitious buffoons believe in all that nonsense about Absol bein' a bad omen and all that. But this one. I tell ya, he looked at me and sent shivers down my spine. Felt like I was never gonna be happy again."

Sam chuckled into his drink, "Well, I'll let all of the 'superstitious buffoons' know that there's an especially evil Absol on the loose. Although, if you're that worried about it... you could always sick Bruiser on him, really give 'im a piece of your mind."

At the mention of 'Bruiser', Sam turned around and tilted his glass toward a grossly obese Stoutland, sleeping on his back in a natty dog bed in the corner of the bar.

Tom absently began to clean a glass, his eyes widening and his voice going low in ominous reverie. "I was quite the trainer in my day... but even then, I'd leave that Absol well enough alone. Some Pokemon are just... bad eggs, if you ask me. And he was one of 'em. Ain't nothin' good can come to anybody that picks a fight with him."

-----

So for any interested RPers out there, there's your hook; the idea is that somehow, you overheard this conversation, and you're headed to the ruins to try and capture this rare Absol. For any mods reading, no I do not intend to hand out Pokemon in any capacity. This is strictly a roleplaying hook, and without spoiling too much, nobody is going to be capturing any Pokemon. Here are the battle specs:

Arena - Mountain Ruins

Nestled deep within some craggy foothills, the trainers have come upon a set of ominous ruins. The ruins themselves are nestled in a small valley, with cliffs rising to the north, east and west. It took our trainers all day to get here, and the sun will be going down soon -- the use of Sunny Day will be ineffective.

The battlefield appears to have once been a courtyard of some sort, with fallen marble pillars and statues of legendary Pokemon littering the area. Toward the far end of the courtyard rises a sheer cliff-face -- set within the cliff is a grandiose archway leading into the ruins below, but we won't be headed down there (yet). In the center of the couryard is a pool of still water that is deep enough to be swam in (why is it filled, I wonder...?). The trainers will eventually encounter Shiny Absol, who will observe, and sometimes alter the battle...

3v3 Singles
All Abilities
No Items
DQ Time - 3 Days
5 Chills/1 Recovery/3 Partial Recoveries

As I said, I will act as the ref for these battles, so the next step is for two RP-willing combatants to step up. This should be fun, and you'll be able to say that you got to participate in the first experimental RP of CAP ASB -- you know you want to!

ROFL. I'm such an idiot. Well anyway I'm gonna withdraw from my acceptance of Zarator's challenge, seeing as he has a bunch of evolved pokes and I have practically zilch in comparison. xD But I already withdrew from the other thing so I can't deny Berserker that, I can merely wallow in my foolishness. =n= ROFL.

Backing out of the match with zarator.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm throwing out an open challenge:

OPEN CHALLENGE

Match Type: 1vs1 Singles
DQ Time: 3 Days
Restricted Moves: No direct recovery, 5 chills/Pokemon
Arena:
The Anomaly​

Nobody knows how the anomaly got there. Nobody knows what the Anomaly really is. All they know is that it's the perfect stage to conduct battles. When the fight begins, there will be simply nothing, just a blank blanket of white which makes you think you're going mad. However, as the battle progresses, the Anomaly will shift to adapt to the requirements. If a fish pokemon is sent out, then suddenly a pond will appear to swim in. If a Pokemon uses Rock Slide, rocks will be created from nothing. All that is required the anomaly provides.

ON THE OTHER HAND. This is likely to induce hallucinations, because it's seriously like pretty crazy. So every action a Pokemon is in a battle, there increases a chance by 1% that the pokemon will lose their mind for the action and will use any possible move in the game or chill, and the counter does not reset. If the Pokemon uses something that they are not able to do because of this, (i.e. Swords Dance while under Taunt or a Recovery move) they will instead cause themselves 5% recoil damage.​

Who's up for a zany battle?

Regardless of who challenges you,Pwnemon, I would like to ref this. It sounds so fun!
I'm throwing out an open challenge:

OPEN CHALLENGE

Match Type: 1vs1 Singles
DQ Time: 3 Days
Restricted Moves: No direct recovery, 5 chills/Pokemon
Arena:
The Anomaly

Nobody knows how the anomaly got there. Nobody knows what the Anomaly really is. All they know is that it's the perfect stage to conduct battles. When the fight begins, there will be simply nothing, just a blank blanket of white which makes you think you're going mad. However, as the battle progresses, the Anomaly will shift to adapt to the requirements. If a fish pokemon is sent out, then suddenly a pond will appear to swim in. If a Pokemon uses Rock Slide, rocks will be created from nothing. All that is required the anomaly provides.

ON THE OTHER HAND. This is likely to induce hallucinations, because it's seriously like pretty crazy. So every action a Pokemon is in a battle, there increases a chance by 1% that the pokemon will lose their mind for the action and will use any possible move in the game or chill, and the counter does not reset. If the Pokemon uses something that they are not able to do because of this, (i.e. Swords Dance while under Taunt or a Recovery move) they will instead cause themselves 5% recoil damage.

Who's up for a zany battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)