Sandstorm Destruction

Introduction
So I've made a few teams way back when D/P was released. I took a pretty long hiatus to focus on school and other things. However, now I'm back and I'm just trying to adjust to this new 5th-Gen metagame. I understand that most people are running either Sandstorm, Rain, or Heavy Offense teams, and my old 4th-Gen team just doesn't cut it anymore.

The Team
Changes will be in bold.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 4 SAtk / 96 SDef / 60 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

This is one of the pokemon I'm considering switching out, I just don't know what with. The strategy is to lead with him, especially against another weather team, so that I can get rid of 'Toad or any other Drizzle/Rain Dancer lead. Typically I lead with T-Wave unless I'm anticipating a Taunt. Once I get SR up, I usually just get a few Giga Drains off to restore any health I lost setting up, and then switch out to safety. The EVs allow me to have great HP/Def/SDef, enough speed to outspeed a 252 Spd, neutral Doryuuzu.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Thunderpunch
- Stone Edge

- Ice Punch

The heart of the team. Once the threat of other weathers (besides SS of course) is gone, I whip out my trusty Tyranitar. It's an offensive build with great coverage and flexibility. I haven't done as well with predicting switches as I figured I would, so I think I might swap out Pursuit for Crunch(thoughts?). Also, I see most Tyranitars running Earthquake, but due to the hype, most people predict the EQ, so I haven't really had any problems without it.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor

There is so much hype associated with Doryuuzu that once I got back into competetive battling, I knew I had to try him out. Thanks to his great STAB attacks, decent speed, and massive attack, I am able to sweep 1-2 pokemon every game. No big issues with him, although I find myself doubting the effectiveness of Balloon. I have considered Leftovers for some survivability, Life Orb/Choice Band for a bigger hit, and Choice Scarf to capitalize on the somewhat lacking speed.

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Mystery Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I stumbled upon Kerudio in my search for a bulky water to use instead of my original choice, Empoleon. I'm actually pretty stunned. Mystery Sword is such a great thing, I'm shocked it hasn't been banned. It's a pretty self-explanatory build. Boost with Calm Mind when I predict a switch, and go off with Pumps and Swords. HP Electric has been pretty helpful, although I'm not too sure that it is good enough to be the only Electric attack on the team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Jirachi is quite possibly the greatest addition to my team. He(it?) can kill almost anything, and Wish provides me with a somehat reliable healing move. I am considering trading Wish/Ice Punch for Thunderpunch to take care of Politoeds that are currently giving me a whole bucket load of trouble.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

ScarfChomp. The standard set. I've had great results with him; I even swept an entire team 6-0 without using SR. I'm pretty proud. I don't really consider changing anything about him. He has great offensive abilities with Sand Veil giving him great survivability, and Outrage just completely destroying anything that doesn't rhyme with Shmarmory.

Final Thoughts
I just want to take this opportunity to say thanks for rating my team. If you don't want to rate it, that's fine, just at least let me know what you think. Thanks so much. My main issue right now is disposing of Politoed. Currently, the only way I can take him down effectively is by HP Electric from Kerudio, but that still takes 3-4 hits. -_- Any ideas?

On paper, Shandera seems to work great with my team. He provides a fire resist, a spin blocker, a stall-breaker, and a fighting resist all in one neat little package. However, in practice, it really doesn't work too well at all. It is just too slow-paced for the team. Honestly, the only reason why I haven't replaced him yet is because I really wouldn't know what to use instead. -_-

Hate to break this to you, but ya gotta' replace him. Shadow Tag Shandera is banned.​

Hi

Celebi doesn't really fit on this team. I'll find a replacement for you and get back to it.

Could you do a write up on what TTar is hitting with that moveset? I have no idea what ThunderPunch is hitting. Politoed?

The only thing that benefits from Rapid SPin is Shandera, which is unreleased with shadow Tag yet. I suggest dropping the move and givin ghim Swords Dance. With SD Doryuuzu has no sweeping sweeping an entire team, let alone 1-2 Pokes.

Kerudio wants HP Ice for Dragons over Electric, becuase the only thing your hitting harder is the ocasional Gyarados.

You need to get rid of Shandera.

GL

Wait how is Shandera banned? It was voted OU in both Smogon and PO. Note: This is DW. I don't know if Celebi is that good with all of those Tyranitars and genosects. Ttar is nice, but you could have some SpD and Hp evs on there. What would it be outspeeding anyways? Dory should be SD, and you should either take out X-Scissor or rapid spin. Lati@s isn't that much of a problem because you already have ttar. Kerudo and shandera synergizes with dory, taking out its counters. Shandera should be a CS version with shadow ball, hp ice, fire blast, and energy ball. Garchomp is great.

Celebi is actually very beneficial in that it can absorb status for the rest of your team. You can keep it, you just shouldn't lead with it. Give it Recover and Leaf Storm. It should absorb status, lay down rocks, heal off damage, and leave.

Jolly is pointless if you're not using a scarf on Ttar, you aren't outrunning jack. Use a Choice Band set.

Tyranitar@Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
Crunch/Pursuit
Superpower
Stone Edge
Ice Punch

The raw power makes a huge difference. Crunch is your main move and hits Reuniclus harder than anything, otherwise choose Pursuit if you want to revenge trap Chandelure and Latios, which is a good idea. Stone Edge is STAB number 2. Superpower is for Ferrothorn and Heatran. Ice Punch is for Gliscor, Dragonite, Garchomp and others.

Excadrill needs Sword Dance over rapid spin, you need the boosting move.

Scrap Chandelure entirely. You need some kind of wall or defensive pivot.

imo opinion celebi doesnt fit the tam that well. i reccomend either one of the two

Archeops
Leftovers
Jolly
E.V.s 252 Spe, 252 att, 4 hp
MOVESET:
Crunch
Aerial Ace/Acrobat
Stone Edge
Earthquake

This guy is way overlooked in this generation. He is marked down because of his ability. (it says if this thing has less then i think 1/2 hp it loses half its pp on all moves) but if you get full pp at the start of every battle that isnt a problem. However the reason i think this guy is so good might be the 110 base speed and the 140 base attack. That is a higher attack then excadrill. Pretty self explanetory moveset just a good type coverage.

OR

Gigalith
Leftovers
E.V.s: 252 Att, 252 Sdef, 4 def
Impish
MOVESET:
Earthquake
Stone edge
Heavy Bomber
Explosion

This guy is insane the only down fall is that he is slow. However here is the great advantages of him. He has 135 base attack power which is equal to excadrill, he has 130 base defence which makes him a pretty tough physical wall as well. however the thing that makes this guy imo a lot better then aggron is his ability sand force which boosts 3 out of the four moves he has by 30 percent. take that thirty bpercent bosot and add it to his high attack and you got one tough pokemon.

Also you dont but i find it useful to run a focus sash on excadrill just in case.

Celebi is actually very beneficial in that it can absorb status for the rest of your team. You can keep it, you just shouldn't lead with it. Give it Recover and Leaf Storm. It should absorb status, lay down rocks, heal off damage, and leave.

Jolly is pointless if you're not using a scarf on Ttar, you aren't outrunning jack. Use a Choice Band set.

Tyranitar@Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
Crunch/Pursuit
Superpower
Stone Edge
Ice Punch

The raw power makes a huge difference. Crunch is your main move and hits Reuniclus harder than anything, otherwise choose Pursuit if you want to revenge trap Chandelure and Latios, which is a good idea. Stone Edge is STAB number 2. Superpower is for Ferrothorn and Heatran. Ice Punch is for Gliscor, Dragonite, Garchomp and others.

Excadrill needs Sword Dance over rapid spin, you need the boosting move.

Scrap Chandelure entirely. You need some kind of wall or defensive pivot.
I tested your Ttar set and it seems to work pretty well with the rest of my team. And SD>RS on Doryuuzu.
As for Chandelure; what do you reccomend I switch him out for?

I've been playing around with
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

as a Chandelure replacement. It's worked out pretty well for me so far

A few things, mostly nitpicks. On Celebi, there is little point beating Adamant Dory - none run it, almost all are Jolly, so pick something else you'd like to outspeed. You may want to consider U-Turn since Chandelure can othwerwise come into and revenge you - if you use U-Turn over Psychic you can T-Wave on the first turn as it comes in, then U-Turn to safety.

Run Jolly on Dory - you'll want to speed tie with other Dory using Balloon who can otherwise comfortably revenge you.

As for Chandelure, try a Rotom-H with its new typing in its place. Fire resist this gen, Fire and Elec STABs, Trick to balls up stall with if you run Scarf (probably best to preserve your fast momentum). You lose the spinblocker but with only SR that isn't too big of a deal if you keep on the offensive, and trapping can be delegated to CBTar by using Pursuit if you really like it, but that's probably not a great idea for you.

Hope these ideas are of assistance.

A few things, mostly nitpicks. On Celebi, there is little point beating Adamant Dory - none run it, almost all are Jolly, so pick something else you'd like to outspeed. You may want to consider U-Turn since Chandelure can othwerwise come into and revenge you - if you use U-Turn over Psychic you can T-Wave on the first turn as it comes in, then U-Turn to safety.

Run Jolly on Dory - you'll want to speed tie with other Dory using Balloon who can otherwise comfortably revenge you.

As for Chandelure, try a Rotom-H with its new typing in its place. Fire resist this gen, Fire and Elec STABs, Trick to balls up stall with if you run Scarf (probably best to preserve your fast momentum). You lose the spinblocker but with only SR that isn't too big of a deal if you keep on the offensive, and trapping can be delegated to CBTar by using Pursuit if you really like it, but that's probably not a great idea for you.

Hope these ideas are of assistance.
What do you think I should have the EV spread as then? SHould I just use a 252hp/252satk/4spd?
And Im really enjoying AddyDrill. (like the name? haha) It has some extra oomph, especially in the sand.
Aaaannnndddd..... I've actually replaced Chandy with Jirachi. I'm having great results with him. (The set is a few posts up)

You have enough physical attackers on your team. I'd recommend a Specially bulky version to absorb Draco Meteors.

Jirachi@Leftovers/Balloon
Calm
252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spd
Wish
Doom Desire
Protect/Reflect/Toxic
U-Turn

This set lets you absorb DMs like no other. You can easily Wish to recover and your HP means you or anybody else will recover 202 HP. U-Turn helps passing Wishes and Doom Desire helps create offensive pressure and lets you make switches easier. Protect if you want guaranteed self healing. Reflect to boost your team's defense and give the advantage to your Keldio and Excadrill. Toxic if you want to wear down walls like Hippowdon. Feel free to move some SpD into Df for better mixed walling, but keep max HP

You have enough physical attackers on your team. I'd recommend a Specially bulky version to absorb Draco Meteors.

Jirachi@Leftovers/Balloon
Calm
252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spd
Wish
Doom Desire
Protect/Reflect/Toxic
U-Turn

This set lets you absorb DMs like no other. You can easily Wish to recover and your HP means you or anybody else will recover 202 HP. U-Turn helps passing Wishes and Doom Desire helps create offensive pressure and lets you make switches easier. Protect if you want guaranteed self healing. Reflect to boost your team's defense and give the advantage to your Keldio and Excadrill. Toxic if you want to wear down walls like Hippowdon. Feel free to move some SpD into Df for better mixed walling, but keep max HP
The only problem with this is that I lose out on my only Fire attack, aka my only way to deal with Nattorei effectively.
EDIT: What if instead of a physical attacking Jirachi, I convert it to a Special attacking Jirachi, but give it some def/sdef EVs?

Than give Garchomp Fire Blast over Dragon Claw. It's great for Skarmory too. Likewise Tyranitar has Superpower and Keldio has Mystery Sword. It shouldn't be abig issue.

Why not? Thunderpunch is unecessary. STAB Stone Edge hits waters for the same power. Superpower is specifically for Ferrothorn and other Tyranitar.

And no, no SpA EVs are necessary. You can even remain Jolly.

Why not? Thunderpunch is unecessary. STAB Stone Edge hits waters for the same power. Superpower is specifically for Ferrothorn and other Tyranitar.

And no, no SpA EVs are necessary. You can even remain Jolly.
Would Fire Fang > Fire Blast because of the EVs? Or will the higher BP of Blast compensate for the lack of a lower Base Sp.Atk and lack of SAtk EVs?
Also, Thunderpunch is there because I found that it is a great counter for Politoeds, who rarely expect Ttar to carry anything Electric-type. Its almost a guaranteed OHKO.

Fire Fang is only better on SD sets. Fire Blast's high BP and most Steel's low SpD means it hits much harder. If You really like you could put in enough EVs to always OHKO Skarmory. Not sure what that'd be though.

Like I said, Stone Edge with STAB has the same BP as a super effective Thunderpunch. You're losing out on coverage which is why you want Superpower.

With Jolly you could run 252 SAtk EV and will still always miss the OHKO even on physically Defensive. It's all about being able to at least hit it. It Helps against Ferrothorn as well.

Like I said, Stone Edge with STAB has the same BP as a super effective Thunderpunch. You're losing out on coverage which is why you want Superpower.
The decrease in atk/def from using Superpower is a big reason for me replacing it... I really hate stat-downs. Is it really the only viable attack for the coverage I need? Or is there something else that allows lots of neutral hits that will work as well?

On a choice set it doesn't matter. You're so strong that it kills what it's supposed to, namely Ferrothorn and some other Steels. It's a situational attack. You should attack primarily with Crunch unless you can OHKO with something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)