EV Training Spots in Black/White

You don't get effort ribbons anymore, but there's a woman in Opelucid that tells you when your Pokemon has maxed EVs.
Oh alright then. Do you know which house it is? I'm currently EV training my Latios right now in the Celestial Tower.

Also, found it interesting that I was EV training my Latios and after the 15th Litwick I fainted, it grew to level 36. Normally when EV training and defeating that many pokemon in the older games, the stat you were training in would make a large increase (like +15 or +21). This time, it only went up by 4. Anyone know why?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
The Effort Lady is in a house directly north of the Pokemon Center in Opelucid City. Unlike previous generations, she simply tells you that your Pokemon has the maximum EV value, and does not award you an Effort Ribbon for your trouble.

Also unlike previous generations, she will not change her phrase regardless of how close or how far away you are from maxing your EVs.

The exact phrase she uses when your Pokemon has a full 510 EV is:

"Your <Pokemon>...
has put in a great effort!"

When your Pokemon does not have 510 EV, she will say:

"Your <Pokemon>...
looks like it can try a little harder."

The best way to verify your EVs is, as always, to earn exactly 508 EVs, check the message to see if you maxed them out, then earn exactly 2 EVs and re-check. Alternatively you can earn exactly 508 EVs, check, use 1 wing, check, and use 1 last wing and check.

I did it once. Took me 6 hours of riding back and forth on Marvelous Bridge. It's not exactly the fastest way to go.
Yeah... if you did it that way, but thats like actually trying to BUY enough rare candys to level up your pokes... im just saying, EV training is a WHOLE lot easier this game

It bothers me that there's no way to reduce EVs in Black and White, since items can't be transferred and there's no way to get the EV-reducing berries in the 5th gen yet.

Also, if I'd let my Zekrom faint to the first Pokemans in the battles against N and Ghetsis, would that be the only way to avoid those unwanted EVs from Reshiram and Cofagrigus? It's too late now, but just wondering if that's how it works.

you could just choose to not use zekrom in the battle.
I needed it in my party so I could check its stats to work out its IV and nature; if I'd sent it to the PC box, I wouldn't be able to access that until after the credits, which includes an auto-save. Oh well, it's only 4 'wasted' EVs anyway.

Also, the OP is very helpful... wish I'd seen this thread before I wasted so much time in less convenient places.

you could just choose to not use zekrom in the battle.
No, you can't. You're literally forced to use it first. The only way to avoid getting EVs is to have it die to the first Pokemon the final bosses send out. Against the second, you have Slash which you can spam while you die to Toxic, but against the first you have to use either your Psychic move or Slash and pray not to crit. Your Fusion move may double in power, and of course you shouldn't Dragonbreath.

You can waste time by spamming X items, using offensive X items will allow you to waste up to 24 turns, enough to get a KO.

Actually the best thing to do to stall is use an Antidote.

It'll say "But it had no effect!" and your turn will pass without you actually having done anything. And the antidote will NOT have been consumed. I do this all the time.

(i didn't bother trying any other status-ailment healing items, but i'd bet they work the same)

if you have higher level pokes your ev training for Attack the field off of route 1 after you surf is great place...

Attack pokemon 100% (also great chance for double battle)
Lvls 30-35ish

Watchdog- 2 Atk
Herdier- 2 atk
Scraggy- 1 atk

(Also good place for pretty easy mid-level (30-50s) pokemon leveling up with the lucky egg- watchdog/herdier give an avg of 1000 exp)

No, you can't. You're literally forced to use it first. The only way to avoid getting EVs is to have it die to the first Pokemon the final bosses send out. Against the second, you have Slash which you can spam while you die to Toxic, but against the first you have to use either your Psychic move or Slash and pray not to crit. Your Fusion move may double in power, and of course you shouldn't Dragonbreath.
1. Switch
2. Roar/Whirlwind

Zekrom won't get any experience/EVs this way, and you won't need to stall until it gets KOed either.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Actually the best thing to do to stall is use an Antidote.

It'll say "But it had no effect!" and your turn will pass without you actually having done anything. And the antidote will NOT have been consumed. I do this all the time.

(i didn't bother trying any other status-ailment healing items, but i'd bet they work the same)
Oh wow, I thought it just wouldn't let you use the item, but not lose the turn in DPPt? That's good news.

@XienZo : Zekrom will indeed get the evs even if you switched it out on the first turn.

@OP: Might want to mention Route 4 in the OP for Attack evs. Its got Scraggy(20%), Sandile(40%) and Darumaka(40%) all of whom give 1 Atk ev each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)