Parasect (Analysis) [GP 1/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC: 1/3(Delta2777) 2/3(Bloo) 3/3(Iconic)
GP: 1/2(NatGeo) 2/2(???)

Parasect

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Overview]

<p> Parasect definitely has a one-of-a-kind Rags to Riches story. Who knew that one day a Pokemon will rise from the fallen depths of the Neverused tier to join some of the greats in the Overused tier. Gen 5 has been very kind to Parasect due to the banning of the Drizzle and Swift Swim combo. This allows room for Parasect in a Rain team because of its Ability, Dry Skin. Combine that with Leech Seed, Leftovers, and a couple of turns to spare while the opponent is asleep with Spore, Parasect can be a massive headache to deal with on Rain teams. Parasect's typing, Grass/Bug, resists the two most painful weaknesses that Rain teams share: Grass- and Electric-type moves. Parasect also resists two of the most used types in the OU metagame: Ground and Fighting. Unluckily for Parasect, the fun stops there. Its unique typing also opens it up to quadruple weaknesses to Fire and Flying, a Stealth Rock weakness, and a weakness to Ice and Bug. <p>

<p> Overall, Parasect is one of the only Grass types that fit well in a Rain team, and with a couple of unique moves to back it up, Parasect can become An effective staller. <p>

[Set]
Name: SubSeed
move 1: Spore
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Leech Seed
move 4: X-Scissor / Protect
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
ability: Dry Skin
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Parasect is one of only three SubSeeders out there that can learn one of the best moves in the game: Spore. A 100% accuracy move that induces sleep will give Parasect a couple of free turns to regenerate your HP, or at least one turn of free healing if the opponent decides to switch out. If you combine Leech Seed, Dry Skin, and Leftovers recovery, that's a lot of HP recovered each turn. Two moves are vying for the last moveslot. X-Scissor is a great move for dealing with those pesky Grass-type Pokemon who immune to Leech Seed, and X-Scissor is a great way for hitting them forsuper effective damage. It also allows Parasect to defeat Ferrothorn in the rain. Ferrothorn cannot break Parasect's Substistutes easily as Parasect resists Power Whip and Gyro Ball. This works well because Ferrothorn is immune to Parasect's Leech Seed and Toxic Spikes. Protect also works as a pseudo healing move if you plan on going full stall, which will come in handy for healing a lot of your HP. <p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Just like Leavanny and Wormadam it will be taking more Special hits than Physical. The defensive EVs plus a Careful nature provide slightly higher Special Defense than Defense. You may also take away 28 Defense EVs and put them into Speed to be able to outspeed Wobbuffet. Aromatherapy is a very interesting move to use over Spore to be able to heal any status conditions that Parasect or its teammates possess.Politoed is a must, as it is the only Pokemon in OU to have the ability Drizzle which will make it permenantly Rain as Rain Dance users will only make it Rain to the maximum of 8 turns, which won't work as Parasect is a staller. In the rain, Parasect has a couple of teammates that really shine: one of them is Lanturn, as Parasect covers its only weakness: Ground-type. Lanturn also covers one of Parasects 4x weakness, which is Fire-type. Another great Partner is Omastar, as it covers all of Parasects weaknesses, with the exception of Rock. And Parasect also covers some of its weaknesses, such as Fighting-, Ground and Electric-types. A Pokemon that can learn Toxic Spikes works very well with Parasect as it makes Parasect's job of stalling a whole lot easier. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use Spore due to the fact that once the opponent switches in it will be poisoned. <p>

[Other Options]

<p>Apart from stalling on a Rain team, there isn't much that Parasect can do. Some other useful moves that are in Parasect's move-pool are Swords Dance, Growth, and Light Screen. Another set that Parasect could utilize into its vast arsenal of sets is a Double Powder set, which uses Spore and Stun Spore to spread status to the opposing team. <p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Anything that is able to change the weather is very threatening for Parasect, especially Sun as it increases Parasects 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks and gradually decreases its health because of Parasects' Ability, Dry Skin. If you are running Parasect without X-Scissor, you will also have a very hard time dealing with Xatu and Espeon as they both posses the ability Magic Bounce, which will reflect any status condition back to Parasect. Very few Pokemon are able to know Herbivore, and even fewer actually use it, but you must be aware of it as it raises the Pokemon's Attack by one stage if hit by a Grass-type move. Any Substitute/Taunt user is very dangerous as it doesn't allow Parasect to use any moves to it other than an attacking move, and even then X-Scissor wont be doing much as of Parasects low Attack stat. <p>

[Dream World]

<p> Parasect learns Damp. There is absolutely no reason to use this ability because Explosion has been nerfed in this generation.<p>

Terrible defensive typing, being 4x Fire, Flying, Takes alot of damage from Stealth Rocks, weak to Ice and Bug.
- However bad that may be, with the addition of new Dark and Fighting types and the ever-so-common Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Surf and Mach Punch, allow it to resist some of the most-used moves in the metagame.
Okay, that's definitely not a "terrible" typing. You 4x resist Grass and Ground moves whilst still resisting Water, Electric and Fighting moves (Dark resistance is false), which are all really popular. In fact, with Dry Skin you even have an immunity to Water. Whilst weaknesses to Rock and Fire are bad, you can work around them both with team support, and weaknesses to Poison, Ice, Bug and Flying are much less to worry about.

You should probably rephrase this when you write it up, saying something along the lines of "Whilst Parasect has a lot of exploitable weaknesses, it also resists common attacking types like Ground, Fighting and Electric whilst possibly having an immunity to water, letting it excel given the right team support."

Also, give Knock Off a mention somewhere, maybe as a slash for X-Scissor on the Subseed set. Given that Parasect can cause a lot of switches with its defensive typing, being able to rid opponents of Choice items and Life Orbs will make Parasect's job of tanking things much easier, and getting rid of Leftovers will let you outstall opponents more quickly.

Ok, I'll give you my opinion on this.

First, don't start an analysis by saying something bad about your Pokemon. I'd rather see it saying "Even though it has some important resistances in Grass-, Electric-, and Fighting-, and an immunity to Water-type attacks, it is somewhat held back by its weaknesses to common types such as Fire and Rock."

About the Swords Dance set, I really don't think it's viable enough to be mentioned outside of Other Options so my advice is that you move it to that section.

Keep going!

woops, i guess i must have written the terrible typing thing only when i saw the weaknesses....

knock off is actually a great idea. The sub seed set is mainly designed for stalling until the opponents health is down. Knock off will be great in addition to that, thanks ;)

edit: woops, i didnt see the comment from zdrup.
Ill switch the order around from bad first to good first, and yeah, parasects attack isnt winnig any awards. any other suggestions for a set?

It might be worth running a dedicated supporting set. In rain, Parasect has great recovery as it is without Leech Seed, so you can omit it from this set to give more support options. Something like this?

Name: Support / Status Platform
Move 1: Spore
Move 2: Stun Spore
Move 3: Aromatherapy
Move 4: Protect / Knock Off
Item: Leftovers / Red Card
Nature: Impish
Ability: Dry Skin
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD

Spore an opponent on the switch, and then Stun Spore to see if they switch again. If so, you'll have crippled their team and will be able to outspeed them the next turn (unless they're a Scarfer) Red Card lets you phase an opponent who stays in and attacks, letting you spread even more status. Aromatherapy is always helpful on a bulky pokémon if you can fit it in, and prevents you from being Toxic'd to death. Protect lets you recover HP in a pinch whilst Knock Off can be annoying like it always is. Don't stay in on opponents once they're statused, you can't do a lot after that other than stall.

Also, you should justify what exactly the EVs do. Do they stop any specific OHKOs or 2HKOs?

No, but they bring both Def and SpDef to the same level, while max Hp is for increasing overall bulk. there isnt something exactly that these EVs are supposed to do apart from maximize its bulk

And I will test that set out ;)

Edit: and btw, the first set is awesome. I beat an Excadrill in sandstorm with it xD

Mention that with X-Scissor you can actually beat Ferrothorn in Rain - Dry Skin counter out the residual damage it causes especially as it cannot break your subs easily. This is useful for Rain stall, since Ferro is immune to T-Spikes and Leech Seed.

Also be sure to mention that pairing him with T-Spikes is a very worthwhile endeavour, as it allows him to stall things out faster so that he saves PP and can do it again.

Wow, I never knew that a para could beat a ferro :P
I totally overlooked T-Spikes. That makes his job as a staller a whole load easier.

I totally overlooked T-Spikes. That makes his job as a staller a whole load easier.
No, Parasect doesn't get Toxic Spikes. The other guy said that Nattorei is immune to Toxic Spikes, which are important to rain stall teams, not that Nattorei is immune to Parasect's Toxic Spikes. He also said that pairing Parasect with Toxic Spikes support makes his job easier, not that running Toxic Spikes on Parasect makes his job easier.

Sorry to rain on your parade. :3

:o
I dont think he meant T-Spikes for Parasect, i think he meant it as a lead or something that can set up toxic spikes.

or maybe i dont completely undertsand what you said

Just a couple of little nitpicks, but in the [Other Options] heading isn't really the place that you should mention teammates, but rather in the [Additional Comments]. Also, I would remove the mention of running him outside of the Rain, because yes, it is quite crazy, but without Dry Skin activated, he's just too slow and vulnerable to attacks to be of much use. Also, when you say sun, also mention Dry Skin makes him lose HP, and not just increases his Fire weakness. The last thing, just a nitpick, but in the Other Options you mentioned Aromatherapy as a way to heal 1/4 of Parasect's health, when I think you might have meant Synthesis.

Otherwise, nice analysis! Sadly, I really don't think Parasect can do much else in the standard enviornment, but he pulls of his job quite nicely.

Sorry for triple posting, but this is extremely unactive. I can imagine, its Parasect :P
okay, time to put it in for QC.
Don't worry about it man, people will get to your analysis eventually. It's just the more viable pokémon are obviously be looked at first by the QC guys.

Maybe mention omastar as a partner? It 4x resists fire and also resists parasect's other weaknesses except rock while setting up entry hazards for parasect to abuse. Omastar also benefits from rain with the boost to its water attacks.

Just a couple of little nitpicks, but in the [Other Options] heading isn't really the place that you should mention teammates, but rather in the [Additional Comments]. Also, I would remove the mention of running him outside of the Rain, because yes, it is quite crazy, but without Dry Skin activated, he's just too slow and vulnerable to attacks to be of much use. Also, when you say sun, also mention Dry Skin makes him lose HP, and not just increases his Fire weakness. The last thing, just a nitpick, but in the Other Options you mentioned Aromatherapy as a way to heal 1/4 of Parasect's health, when I think you might have meant Synthesis.

Otherwise, nice analysis! Sadly, I really don't think Parasect can do much else in the standard enviornment, but he pulls of his job quite nicely.
Thanks for that, I was abit confused with the Team Options changes :) And Im still reasonably new to the forums, so that helps.

Don't worry about it man, people will get to your analysis eventually. It's just the more viable pokémon are obviously be looked at first by the QC guys.
You got that right buddy :P Parasect is pathetic (with an exception of in the Rain)

Maybe mention omastar as a partner? It 4x resists fire and also resists parasect's other weaknesses except rock while setting up entry hazards for parasect to abuse. Omastar also benefits from rain with the boost to its water attacks.
Yeah, Omastar works as a partner. Best of all, they work in the rain! Ill be adding that, thanks ;)

Well, Pokemon with Sap Sipper (Herbivore) hinders it from doing it's job well (absorbing Leech Seed and Spore)...although I don't think there's much to write about it as not much Pokemon uses Sap Sipper.

Mention Espeon and Xatu as Checks since they completely wall Parasect without X-scissor due to Magic Bounce. In addition, I would remove the mention in Checks and Counters section of "Whimsicott can hurt a lot with U-turn." Off of a 67 base Attack stat with no investment? Yea that's not gonna be doing much to Parasect, especially since it invests in its defenses. Although it still walls it and can be a nuisance with Encore, Taunt, and priority Toxic to poison you before you can Sub.

Interestingly, parasect also gets pursuit, which could be used with the large amount of switches it should be supposedly causing. Probably not worth mentioning, but just something to think about.

Well, Pokemon with Sap Sipper (Herbivore) hinders it from doing it's job well (absorbing Leech Seed and Spore)...although I don't think there's much to write about it as not much Pokemon uses Sap Sipper.
yeah, but ill still mention it. :) thanks.

Mention Espeon and Xatu as Checks since they completely wall Parasect without X-scissor due to Magic Bounce. In addition, I would remove the mention in Checks and Counters section of "Whimsicott can hurt a lot with U-turn." Off of a 67 base Attack stat with no investment? Yea that's not gonna be doing much to Parasect, especially since it invests in its defenses. Although it still walls it and can be a nuisance with Encore, Taunt, and priority Toxic to poison you before you can Sub.
Thank you for that, ill immediately edit it.

Interestingly, parasect also gets pursuit, which could be used with the large amount of switches it should be supposedly causing. Probably not worth mentioning, but just something to think about.
no, as much as pursuit is a good move, it wont do so much damage. even if they switch, it wont do much because od paras low attack and it isnt STAB. but still thanks ;)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Hey Mack, nice job on this so far. Make the moveset look like this:

name: Rain SubSeeder
move 1: Spore
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Leech Seed
move 4: X-Scissor / Protect
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
ability: Dry Skin

evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpDef
  • Spore is necessary. It's probably the single best move in the game, and helps distinguish Parasect from other SubSeeders not named Breloom.
  • I changed the EVs (and nature) slightly; they balance defenses with slight favor towards SpDef, since Parasect usually takes more special attacks than physical.
  • X-Scissor is the primary option in the forst slot to fight against Pokemon like Rankurusu and Tyranitar. Protect is also there as it helps stall for more recovery.
  • Mention Knock Off in the Additional Comments. Also mention that 28 Speed EVs allow you to outrun Wobbuffet, although he is currently rare in the standard metagame (if you do run 28 Speed EVs take them out of Defense).
  • Mention that Parasect should only be used if you are teaming it up with Politoed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)