Triples Warstory: Moldy Oldies

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, everybody. I'm taking another stab at warstory writing. This time it's to show off Triple Battles. Now I'll tell you right up front that in this match both I and my opponent make some misplays. It's also a bit longer than most Triple Battles. Still, it gives you a sample of what they're like, especially for those of you who haven't tried them yet.

This battle happened on Random Wi-Fi Triples (Free Mode). If you want to watch along with the commentary at the Global Terminal on your DS game, the battle number is 90-96665-56816.

For those of you who don't know me, feel free to skip this paragraph. For those that do, this team might look familiar. It's a modified version of one of my older 4th gen teams. In fact, it happens to be the one from my other warstory. I moved it up to my copy of Pokémon White mostly to help rack up BP in the Battle Subway before I trained a new team. I found out, though, that it makes a better Triple Battle team than it ever did a Double Battle team. It's still not great, but it's passable enough for the interim.

My Team:

ANDREA's Team:

A quick glance at my opponent's team tells me that it's a Trick Room team. So right away I know my Shuckle's going to be key here. Whenever I lead with it, I always put it in the center, since it's not easy to squash even with all three opponents ganging up on it. I don't currently have anything with Taunt on my team. (Alakazam usually covers that, but I'm expirimenting with Reflect instead.) That means that I've got to try to mitigate damage from powerful, multi-hit moves until Trick Room wears off, so I decide to put my Mantine with Wide Guard in on my left-hand side. Finally, even if I can't prevent Trick Room, I might be able to delay it, so I put Infernape with Fake Out in on my right-hand side.

The match starts and the setup is:

----100%---------100%--------100%

OK, so analyzing the opening layout, it's pretty clear that the Marowak in the center is going to spam Earthquake (both its allies have Levitate) and Rock Slide. I'm also guessing that the Eelektross has Discharge, which won't hit Marowak. Glad I brought my Mantine. The question is, will my opponent attack with them this turn, or use Protect to avoid damage until Trick Room is active? I decide to play it safe.

Turn 1:
Eelektross uses Protect.
Marowak uses Protect.
Infernape uses Fake Out on Cresselia. (≈ 8% damage)
Mantine uses Wide Guard.
Shuckle uses Power Split, but Marowak protects itself.
Cresselia flinches.
Cresselia restored HP with Leftovers. (≈98% HP remaining)

----100%---------100%---------98%

Well, that was uneventful. At least now Eelektross and Marowak can't use Protect unless they're willing to risk the 50% failure rate. Unfortunately, the same thing applies to my Mantine's Wide Guard. I wish I hadn't played it so safe. Heck if I'm taking a Rock Slide from Marowak, though. Gotta take it out before it rips through my team! Priority number two is to cripple the Eelektross.

Turn 2:
Infernape uses Overheat on Marowak. (60% damage, Infernape recovers its SpAtk with its White Herb)
Mantine uses Scald on Marowak. (40% damage)
Marowak faints. (Me: 6, Opponent: 5)
Eelektross uses Discharge. (Not quite 50% damage to Mantine thanks to Wacan Berry, 12% damage to Shuckle)
Shuckle uses Power Split on Eelektross.
Cresselia uses Trick Room.
Cresselia restored HP with Leftovers. (Back up to full HP)

Opponent sends out Machamp to replace Marowak in the center position.

----100%--------100%---------100%

-----51%---------88%---------100%

OK, so now the real test begins. My sole advantage here is that Shuckle will always go first in its priority bracket while Trick Room is up. Its move is crucial and I've got two real choices. I can either nullify the Machamp's ability with Gastro Acid or reduce all of my opponents' SpAtk stats with Struggle Bug. I don't know for sure that this is a No Guard Machamp and I want to help my Mantine and Infernape survive a Discharge and a Psychic respectively, so I decide on Struggle Bug. I'll use Wide Guard again with Mantine and if I'm lucky, Infernape might get off a boosted Acrobatics on Machamp before it goes down.

Turn 3:
Mantine uses Wide Guard.
Shuckle uses Struggle Bug. (Small damage to all opponents and their SpAtk drops)
Eelektross uses Dragon Claw on Mantine. (≈ 18% damage, Eelektross restores a tiny amount of HP with its Shell Bell)
Machamp uses DynamicPunch on Infernape. (≈ 90% damage and Infernape is confused)
Cresselia used Psychic. (10% damage to Infernape)
Infernape faints. (Me: 5, Opponent: 5)
Cresselia restored HP with Leftovers.

I send out Slaking to replace Infernape on my right-hand side.

-----96%---------98%---------98%

-----32%----------88%---------100%

Wow, I really should have seen that coming. My prediction skills are still really rusty. I'm in pretty bad shape now, so it's time to take the big chances. I send out Slaking in the face of Machamp and hope the next DynamicPunch misses after I cancel out No Guard. Mantine and Slaking will double up on Machamp with Scald and Retaliate (which will deal double damage since Infernape fainted last turn). Together, that should be enough to take out the Machamp.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised that my opponent didn't switch out the Electross. Its Attack and SpAtk are essentially halved after Shuckle's Power Swap. As long as it stays in, I'm able to ignore it and concentrate on the big hitters in the central slot.

Turn 4:
Shuckle uses Gastro Acid on Machamp.
Eelektross uses Dragon Claw on Shuckle. (≈ 5% damage, Eelektross gets HP back with Shell Bell)
Machamp uses DynamicPunch on Mantine. (≈ 32% damage)
Mantine faints. (Me: 4, Opponent: 5)
Cresselia uses Psychic on Slaking. (≈ 15% damage)
Slaking uses Retaliate on Machamp. (≈ 87% damage)
Cresselia restored HP with Leftovers. (Back up to full HP)

I send out Serperior to replace Mantine on my left-hand side.

-----96%---------12%---------100%

----100%---------83%----------85%

Looks like I lost the DynamicPunch coin toss, although Machamp didn't hit the Pokémon I thought it would. I guess my opponent considers Slaking the lesser threat due to Truant. Regardless, Machamp is still at large and I'm another team member down. I've got to take out that Machamp, so I tell Serperior to attack it while Slaking starts chipping away at Cresselia. Shuckle needs to take a round to nullify Slaking's ability on the off chance that it lives through Machamp's attack.

Turn 5:
Shuckle uses Gastro Acid on Slaking.
Eelektross uses Flamethrower on Serperior. (Critical hit, ≈ 85% damage, restores some HP with Shell Bell)
Machamp uses Fire Punch on Serperior. (≈ 15% damage)
Serperior faints. (Me: 3, Opponent: 5)
Cresselia uses Psychic on Slaking. (≈ 15% damage, Slaking's SpDef falls)
Slaking uses Shadow Claw on Cresselia. (≈ 30% damage)
Cressleia restores HP with Leftovers.

I send out Alakazam to replace Serperior on my left-hand side.

-----100%--------12%----------76%

----100%---------83%----------70%

At this point, I'm pretty sure I've lost the match. My opponent still has five Pokémon left and I'm down to my last three. Well, at least I'm going to take down the Machamp with some clever subterfuge. I mean, surely Machamp's going to target Slaking this time, now that it's so clearly a threat, right? I'll just make sure Slaking isn't there to be hit and then take out the Machamp from behind.

Turn 6:
Machamp switches to Escavalier.
Alakazam uses Ally Switch. (Alakazam moves to my right-hand side and Slaking to my left)
Shuckle uses Struggle Bug. (Small damage to all opponents and their SpAtk drops)
Eelektross uses Flamethrower on Slaking. (≈ 12% damage)
Cresselia uses Lunar Dance.
Cresselia faints. (Me: 3, Opponent: 4)
Slaking uses Retaliate on Escavalier. (≈ 35% damage)
Trick Room ends.

Opponent sends out Bronzong to replace Cresselia on my right-hand side.

-----97%---------63%---------100%

-----58%---------83%---------100%

…What just happened? The opponent pulled out Machamp, depriving me of my KO, but then they voluntarily lose their own Cresselia.

In retrospect, I think I can understand their reasoning. They pulled out Machamp in order to regain No Guard and to avoid having it out when Trick Room wore off, which is smart. When Cresselia used Lunar Dance, I assumed they planned on sending out Machamp in its place to restore its HP. That was probably their original intent, but once Slaking had moved clear across the field and Alakazam was right there, they decided to send Bronzong out in that slot to reset Trick Room.
Even though my plan fell through, looks like Ally Switch was worth using after all.

Regardless, I'm despairing now. I don't yet know Escavalier's stats by heart, but I know it's got good defenses on both sides of the spectrum and I don't think I can take it out in one turn. I don't really have much choice but to try before Trick Room comes back up for four more turns.

Turn 7:
Shuckle uses Helping Hand on Slaking.
Eelektross uses Protect.
Alakazam uses Psychic on Escavalier. (≈ 20% damage, Escavalier's SpDef drops)
Slaking uses Hammer Arm on Escavalier. (≈ 45% damage, Slaking's Speed drops)
Escavalier faints. (Me: 3, Opponent: 3)
Bronzong uses Trick Room.

Opponent sends out Machamp to replace Escavalier in the center position.

-----97%---------12%---------100%

-----58%---------83%---------100%

Whoa, I guess I could take Escavalier out after all. Lesson learned. Now I'm back in a familiar situation, only Bronzong's a bigger offensive threat than Cresselia was. I have to assume it knows Explosion. I don't yet want to put Slaking within reach of Bronzong, so I won't be using Ally Switch again. I've just got to nullify No Guard again and cross my fingers.

Turn 8:
Shuckle uses Gastro Acid on Machamp.
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Alakazam. (99% damage, saved by Focus Sash)
Eelektross uses Dragon Claw on Slaking. (≈ 10% damage, Eelektross heals using Shell Bell)
Slaking eats its Sitrus Berry. (Ends up at about 72% HP)
Machamp uses DynamicPunch on Slaking and misses.
Slaking uses Retaliate on Machamp. (≈ 12% damage)
Machamp faints. (Me: 3, Opponent: 2)
Alakazam uses Psychic on Bronzong. (≈ 10% damage)

***Empty***

-----98%-----------------------90%

-----72%---------83%----------1%

Woohoo! That's the last of my opponent's big hitters. All they've got left is a severely crippled Eelektross and a Bronzong. First it's time to take out the Eelektross while simultaneously making myself less vulnerable to Gyro Ball. Hammer time!

Turn 9:
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Alakazam. (Critical hit! 1% damage)
Alakazam faints. (Me: 2, Opponent: 2)
Eelektross uses Discharge. (≈ 10% damage to Slaking and ≈ 5% damage to Shuckle, Shuckle is paralyzed)
Slaking uses Hammer Arm on Eelektross. (≈ 80% damage, Slaking's Speed drops)

***Empty***

-----18%-----------------------90%
***Empty***
-----62%---------78%----------

Rest in peace, Alakazam. You've served me well.

Turn 10:
Shuckle uses Struggle Bug. (Tiny damage to Eelektross and Bronzong, their SpAtk drops)
Bronzong uses Hypnosis on Shuckle and misses. (Although it would have failed anyway)
Eelektross uses Discharge (Again, about 10% damage to Slaking and 5% to Shuckle)
Slaking uses Hammer Arm on Eelektross. (≈ 10% damage, Slaking's Speed drops)
Eelektross faints. (Me: 2, Opponent: 1)

***Empty******Empty***

--------------------------------88%
***Empty***
-----52%---------73%----------

My opponent is wasting time trying to put my already paralyzed Shuckle to sleep, but on the other hand, I'm not sure what else they could do, other than move Bronzong to the center spot. Gyro Ball's base power against my Shuckle is now 1 and even if Explosion somehow took it out (which it wouldn't), my Slaking is out of range.

I haven't been counting, but I think Trick Room ends next round. Time to move Slaking into place.

Turn 11:
Shuckle is paralyzed and can't move.
Bronzong uses Hypnosis on Shuckle, but it fails. (Because Shuckle is paralyzed)
Slaking swaps positions with Shuckle.
Trick Room ends.

***Empty******Empty***

--------------------------------88%
***Empty***
-----73%---------52%----------

Time to start chipping away at the 'Zong.

Turn 12:
Shuckle is paralyzed and can't move. (Was going to use Helping Hand)
Slaking uses Shadow Claw on Bronzong. (Critical hit! ≈ 50% damage)
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Slaking. (≈ 10% damage)
***Empty******Empty***

--------------------------------38%
***Empty***
-----73%---------42%----------

About time I got a crit this battle. Another one like that and it'll all be over.

Turn 13:
Slaking uses Shadow Claw on Bronzong. (≈ 37% damage)
Bronzong uses Hypnosis on Slaking.
***Empty******Empty***

---------------------------------1%
***Empty***
-----73%---------42%-----
-----

Whoops! Misplay on my part. If I'd used Hammer Arm instead, I probably would have won right there. Time to make a strategic withdrawl.

Turn 14:
Slaking is fast asleep.
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Slaking. (≈ 10% damage)
Shuckle swaps positions with Slaking

***Empty******Empty***

---------------------------------1%
***Empty***
-----32%---------73%----
-

Bronzong's got HP in the low single digits. Time to end this.

Turn 15:
Slaking is fast asleep.
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Shuckle. (≈ 1% damage)
Shuckle uses Struggle Bug on Bronzong. (≈ 1% damage)
Bronzong faints. (Me: 2, Opponent: 0)

That's all, folks! I hope you enjoyed reading it and that the formatting made the battle easy to understand. Let me know if you want me to change it in any way. Thanks for reading!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Moral of the story: Don't fuck with Shuckle.

And I <3 Slaking. That thing is a beast once you get rid of Truant.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i enjoyed this. triple battles are alot of fun and like seeing the strategies employed more than singles.

I'd like to read more about triple battles/double battles, even though they don't seem as popular around here as single battles.

I wonder, how dangerous a Simple Beamed Slaking would be? I can see a Slaking replacing Truant with a Simple-boosted Bulk Up or Curse being a nightmare.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
I'd like to read more about triple battles/double battles, even though they don't seem as popular around here as single battles.

I wonder, how dangerous a Simple Beamed Slaking would be? I can see a Slaking replacing Truant with a Simple-boosted Bulk Up or Curse being a nightmare.
Good thought, but Simple Beam doesn't work on a target that has Truant. Likewise, Worry Seed and Entrainment don't work either.

I've seen teams where a Slaking attacks its Cofagrigus ally to gain Mummy instead, but I still like Gastro Acid because it allows Slaking to get right to the hurting while another Pokémon takes care of Truant.

Oh, I didn't know that Simple Beam was blocked from affecting those types of abilities... Shame.

See, this is why I've mostly just lurked up until now, to avoid putting my foot in my mouth! Though, part of that was probably eagerness to abuse Simple Beam, since my Simple Bibarel is easily one of my favorites from my Gen IV games.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Oh, I didn't know that Simple Beam was blocked from affecting those types of abilities... Shame.

See, this is why I've mostly just lurked up until now, to avoid putting my foot in my mouth! Though, part of that was probably eagerness to abuse Simple Beam, since my Simple Bibarel is easily one of my favorites from my Gen IV games.
Hey, no worries! Your foot is nowhere near your mouth. It was a good thought. Just check the research thread next time. Eventually Smogon's StrategyDex will have this info for the fifth-gen stuff and it'll be easier to locate.

Also, if I had to guess, I'd wager that Simple Beam works on Slow Start, but not on Truant or Defeatist. Again, just a guess.

Oh, and welcome to Smogon!

EDIT: I was wrong on at least some counts. Simple Beam definitely works on a Pokémon with Defeatist.

Retaliate (which will deal double damage since Infernape fainted last turn)
That's not how it works; it only doubles in power if something dies the same turn you use Retaliate. (At least, according to what I've read on the internet.)

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
That's not how it works; it only doubles in power if something dies the same turn you use Retaliate. (At least, according to what I've read on the internet.)
Nope, looks like the internet is wrong. I just did a test and the power definitely increases when an ally was knocked out on the previous turn.

Good; it does make more sense that way. (And that's what the description implies; just bulbapedia steering me wrong, then...)

Anyway, nice to see a triples story! Pretty complicated format... So much to be aware of and keep track of. Actually building the team seems to have a higher weight than the playing.

This warstory was simply epic. Fantastic variety, showcases triples amazingly in terms of the sheer variety and viability of so many things in the meta, as well as showing off a ton of moves and ideas which only work there. Switching places with Zam, Wide Guard, Shell Bell, Sitrus Berry, Gastro Acid etc are all things you'd never even see in singles.

Your play may not have been amazing but your commentary was very good, and you explained your thought processes enough to make us understand why you made whatever misplays you did - and in any case it's impossible to predict everything in doubles/triples.

As well as this, your formatting was brilliant and well-adapted to triples, your telling us what happened to each poke after every hit made things a ton easier to read. The one thing I would suggest adding is a score counter whenever there was a KO, as I found it somewhat difficult to keep track of when you didn;t mention it in writing.

Really good job, basically.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
This warstory was simply epic. Fantastic variety, showcases triples amazingly in terms of the sheer variety and viability of so many things in the meta, as well as showing off a ton of moves and ideas which only work there. Switching places with Zam, Wide Guard, Shell Bell, Sitrus Berry, Gastro Acid etc are all things you'd never even see in singles.

Your play may not have been amazing but your commentary was very good, and you explained your thought processes enough to make us understand why you made whatever misplays you did - and in any case it's impossible to predict everything in doubles/triples.

As well as this, your formatting was brilliant and well-adapted to triples, your telling us what happened to each poke after every hit made things a ton easier to read. The one thing I would suggest adding is a score counter whenever there was a KO, as I found it somewhat difficult to keep track of when you didn;t mention it in writing.

Really good job, basically.
Thanks, Benlisted! I added the score counter in green. Hopefully that's helpful.

This warstory is almost a masterpiece (for a Triples one). Slaking is one of my favourite Pokémon and you used it well. Also you managed to exploit your opponent's strategy, even if he played well too. Very good comments (you analyzed the situation) and format.

Format: 9/10
Battle: 8/10
Commentary: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Good warstory alert! You commentary is detailed without being too draggy, and the battle was definitely better than those in many warstories and showcases how different the triples metagame is from Standard OU. It's definitely very different in terms of viable
Pokemon!

Formatting was also great :)

In my opinion, the absolute highest point of the match was when Shuckle killed a Bronzong with Struggle Bug. That's not something you see often.
And hey, this was a pretty nice match. Thanks for the warstory.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
In my opinion, the absolute highest point of the match was when Shuckle killed a Bronzong with Struggle Bug. That's not something you see often.
Heh, that's true. All that SpAtk it stole from Eelektross near the start of the match probably helped. Or perhaps the Bronzong only had 1 HP left, which is entirely possible.

It was a pretty good warstory. Like the other readers said, you had enough detail in your thought process that the story wasn't bogged down by detail or lacking in it. It certainly wasn't the best battle (your opponent trying to use Hypnosis on a Paralyzed Shuckle) but it was entertaining nonetheless.

I would suggest, however, that for future warstories you put up a health percentage for each of the Pokemon on the field at the end of the turn; it got a little hard trying to keep track of health through the story.

Other than that though, this is a solid Warstory.

Dammit I wanted to post a Triples warstory before you did.

Anyway, great match. I still love that wacky team of yours (my TR teams are just so boring) and I see Shuckle is still a pain in the dick with the advent of Gen 5. Fun battle, good commentary, practical format, all around great. Only thing that bugs me though is how your opponent played so conservatively with his Escavalier and refused to sub it in for his cripped Eelektross. I know just how much damage that bug can do from personal experience and there isn't much on your team that would appreciate a Megahorn to the face especially with Infernape dead. Perhaps he feared Power Split, but it wouldn't have been as effective after your Shuckle had already used it on Eelektross (who has a pretty respectable base 115 ATK). I dunno.

Shuckle was awesome in this. Great use of him. Especially when I saw that trick room, I just knew that between struggle bug/gastro acid/power split he would be supporting up a storm.

The only Triples Warstory I've ever seenm, but a very good one. Apart from the weird Hypnosis off Bronzong, both sides played well but I guess your opponent just couldn't handle the sheer support of Shuckle! 9.5/10 ^_^

Wow!!!11!!!1! This is awesome. Good battle, ok formatting, and the strategies are hilarious. I want moar!

Mmm... In turn 7, TR is already off but Shuckle used Helping Hand first... Is it holding Quick Claw?
EDIT: nevermind, Helping Hand has +5 priority :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)