VGC & TCG Tournaments Cancelled in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(Didn't see a thread on this)

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2011/03/at110314_02.html

Along with the delay of the Global Link, Nintendo have announced that the Japanese TCG and VGC qualifiers for this year have been outright cancelled. It's a great shame, but it could also impact us. It's currently unknown if America and Europe will follow suit, or move on ahead without Japan involved.

In 2008, Europe was left out. This year could see Japan left out (due to horrific circumstances) making the tournament a "Europe vs America" thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing was called off for this year.

The Worlds tournaments will surely be less fun without the Japanese involved, either way, let's hope we still get our tournaments.

I was looking forward to following the tournaments this year even though I don't get to participate in them in my Country. So this comes as quite a disappointment.

I think there is a high chance of it being called off this year.

Pretty much been waiting for this since the quake.

Quite disappointing, but pretty inevitable.

Hopefully EU and NA will be able to still proceed as planned...

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
NA and EU shouldn't have any problems with cancelling. The tournaments in Japan are run by Nintendo of Japan while The Pokemon Company, International run the tournaments in Europe and North America. Besides, if they were going to cancel the tournaments here, they would have made a simultaneous announcement.

I was looking forward to playing more Japanese players this year though =[. Having picked up their playstyle in 09, and doing pretty well against them in 2010, I thought this was going to be my year =P But now we'll never know.

This isn't the first time Pokemon tournaments in Japan have been canceled, just for reference. I know it's a totally different situation, just wanted to reference something though.

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70895

I have no idea if this means that Japan won't have tournaments overall or whatnot, but my prayers go out to them. Pokemon would be the least of my worries if I lived there.

fffffffffffffffffffffff no more vgc11 japs on randomwifi (they were so good to test teams against)

hopefully they wont be wiped off the face of the earth because of all the stuff thats going wrong over there too :(

Wow, this is pretty big. I hope things dont get cancelled here, but first and foremost, I hope things get better there. I understand why they would want to cancel them. Im sure there might be some that come to the lcq at worlds though.

I hope they don't cancel. I'm really anxious for the VGC's. Its the first year im gonna be able to go. Thought it'll be a dissapointment not to have a chance at playing some Japanese players

im going to sound reallu insensitive when i say 'yay! more time to perfect my team!'
...you still have the same amount of team because the US and Europe aren't really affected by this at all, other than the fact we might not go against Japan at all at Worlds this year.

Unfortunate news to wake up to.

Whether we still get out Championships or not is not the issue for me... it's more the fact that the Japanese folks won't even be able to participate this year. It's kind of hard to get motivated now, and the Worlds this year just won't feel the same regardless. Like Huy, I was looking forward to playing against some Japanese players at Worlds, especially considering that this is the first time that I'll actually be going to Worlds.

Ah well. I hope they recover quickly, and not just because of Pokemon.

This is a huge heart breaker. Half the fun of VGC is seeing all the unique Japanese strategies used at their regionals. Also about half of the best competition won't be competing now...Ugh

andrea

/me cresselias
Here's to hoping some of them are able to make the trip to the LCQ. It's terrible that they didn't get an opportunity this year to compete, but my heart goes out to all those involved in the disaster.

At least there will be one "guaranteed" Japanese player- the guy who got second to BlueCookies has a free trip.

You can't blame em if their going to, with the 9.0 EQ, the Huge Tsunami, the risk of Nuclear Meltdown, the Volcano erupting and Snow falling, this could be the biggest disaster since WW2.

I doubt they'll cancel the VGC for the US and EU. It will probably end up being a US vs EU kind of thing. This is my first and last year in Seniors with the new age divisions and it might be my only chance to pull out a win. Hopefully the Japanese will be able to get out of this terrible crisis, and I'm sincerely sorry for them and hope that they will make it out and have everything return to normal. My heart does go out to all who may have been involved in this terrible disaster in Japan <3

Regardless, if the Japanese are out, it's a clean sweep for Smogoners at Nationals/Worlds. That might be a little disappointing for you who all claim, "0h, diz suckz manz, i haz n0 compet!tion, tr0lo0lolololoolololl!!1!!!1!!!".

I don't care who I face, I'm in it to win it.

Although the qualifiers have been canceled, i am sure there will be SOME way that they can give out some invites.

They have canceled qualifiers in the past (due to bomb threats i believe) and they still had invites to give out.

We will see - but it is sad to see this news.

Here's to hoping some of them are able to make the trip to the LCQ. It's terrible that they didn't get an opportunity this year to compete, but my heart goes out to all those involved in the disaster.
Very true Andrea, for some pokemon is the last thing on there minds. But yeah hope some can attend the LCQ.

Japan out of worlds will certainly make it easier for everyone else. If I'm honest, and no offense to Bluecookies, that Japanese guy should have won it. But Japan keep winning it and with a large number of entries out (remember: some will still be able to attend the grinder), it should give Europe a chance for, like, the first time ever.

So the Japanese nationals are cancelled, or postponed?

Either way, this is just awful... the Japanese hold most of the tournament's spirit and it just won't be the same. I'll miss the Smeargle shirt guys, Kazuyuki Tsuji and his team, and good old Santa Ito. I'll even miss that awesomely sneaky kid who accidentally taught me how to trade cards. :(

I really hope the tournament comes back on somehow...

Didn't tcpi say that they would possible be handing out invites from the GBU?
If so, couldnt this be a way to get more japanese people here?

Just thinking out loud

andrea

/me cresselias
Didn't tcpi say that they would possible be handing out invites from the GBU?
If so, couldnt this be a way to get more japanese people here?

Just thinking out loud
That was GameFAQs or something with absolutely no source at all. =(

Anyone in the Daisuki Club got an email over it too, which is how I found out.

But it's sweet if Santa Ito can come (thanks Huy), he's a really nice kid and I want him to win this time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)