Triple Battle Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note:

Confirmed Beat Up's new damage formula uses the Attack of each attacker and Defense of the target, but its BP for each hit = 5 + (Base Attack of Attacker / 10). However, if the user is holding a Choice Band or has Technician, all Beat Up hits will be boosted. (mien)

Therefore Beat Up is actually a good attack after the hit. With a terakion and weavile with a choice band, you have one 28 power hit - from 2356 Atk! Not to mention the other attacks that you have. In any case, it can break sashes etc.

Also, and anger point Wariburu with gravity can smash everything FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE (caps were necessary) but won't hit, for example, Dialga with Telekenisis. lol.

Dialga can't set it up, though (I don't think anything with gravity can).

I just came up with one while I was bored at school. in order of left/middle/right

Ninetales, Iron Ball, Modest
Drought
~Fire Blast
~Solarbeam
~Nasty Plot
~HP Ground

This Ninetales is meant to set up with drought! Iron Ball may seem like an odd choice but it's important you get up the sun or else the combo is ruined. Attack with your moves really. She's just meant to use Drought pretty much

Typholosion, Choice Specs, Modest
Blaze
~Eruption
~Solarbeam
~Focus Blast
~Hp rock

The purpose of this set is to abuser the massive Strength of a STAB Eruption under the sun hitting all of the opponents. Choice specs is for power

Doredia, Leftovers, Timid
Cholorophyll
~Make Friends
~Sleep Powder
~Solarbeam
~Hp fire

aww Doredia! my favorite 5th gen pokemon! she's often the fastest on the stage with cholrophyll. Typhlosion has decent speed but Cholorophyll will make it extremely good! Make Friends passes her own Ability in this case; Cholorophyll. to make Typhlosion extra seepdy. Sleep powder for guys like heatran. and HP fire and Solarbeam for coverage.

I just came up with one while I was bored at school. in order of left/middle/right

Ninetales, Iron Ball, Modest
Drought
~Fire Blast
~Solarbeam
~Nasty Plot
~HP Ground

This Ninetales is meant to set up with drought! Iron Ball may seem like an odd choice but it's important you get up the sun or else the combo is ruined. Attack with your moves really. She's just meant to use Drought pretty much

Typholosion, Choice Specs, Modest
Blaze
~Eruption
~Solarbeam
~Focus Blast
~Hp rock

The purpose of this set is to abuser the massive Strength of a STAB Eruption under the sun hitting all of the opponents. Choice specs is for power

Doredia, Leftovers, Timid
Cholorophyll
~Make Friends
~Sleep Powder
~Solarbeam
~Hp fire

aww Doredia! my favorite 5th gen pokemon! she's often the fastest on the stage with cholrophyll. Typhlosion has decent speed but Cholorophyll will make it extremely good! Make Friends passes her own Ability in this case; Cholorophyll. to make Typhlosion extra seepdy. Sleep powder for guys like heatran. and HP fire and Solarbeam for coverage.
You could also use a -Spd nature on Ninetales, and a Cherrim to boost Typhlosion's attacks even more, so you don't need the Specs, but can use Life Orb/Wise Glasses. If Ninetales is purely used to set up sun, Will-o-Wisp and Hypnosis are pretty good options for it as well.
By the way, what is Typhlosion's Dream World ability and does it have any use in a combo like this?

You could also use a -Spd nature on Ninetales, and a Cherrim to boost Typhlosion's attacks even more, so you don't need the Specs, but can use Life Orb/Wise Glasses. If Ninetales is purely used to set up sun, Will-o-Wisp and Hypnosis are pretty good options for it as well.
By the way, what is Typhlosion's Dream World ability and does it have any use in a combo like this?
Flash Fire. Please tell me Ninetales has access to Lava Plume?

I think we can combine the idea of Make Friends Doredia and Swagger Eruruun/Toronerosu to pass Own Tempo and +2 Atk to anyone? Like giving Own Tempo to chomp and watch him tear everything apart with +2 Outrage.

While it's very interesting to see the combos we came up with, many combos are scary only if the opponent is not prepared for it tho. AoE teams (2 supporter + 1 AoE attacker) is stopped by Fake Out, Wide Guard. Trick Room team is stopped by Taunt. While it is fun to see 3 of thier pokemon dies at once, it is also possible that your combo will be stopped and it is your turn to be killed. It only requires 1 or 2 pokemon to stop a combo, so a right Taunt, Wide Guard decision will give you a free turn for your other ones to take advantage. This also implies that only Magic Guard Trick Roomer is really reliable in Triple Battle.

What I want to say is that even tho team combos are fun to come up with, you also have to think of someway to stop the other teams' combos or to stop them stopping you as well. Try including defensive moves such as Erufuun with Beat Up + Taunt/Encore or Hitmontop with Helping Hand + Wide Gaurd/Fake Out.

Some battle report:
I just ran into a guy sending Mushana/Metagross/Obemu on turn one. The guy also have slow sweepers on his roster. So I thought that I can taunt Mushana with my Kojondo to stop any attempt to set up Trick Room, and let my others beat up the weaker Obemu.

What happened was Telepathy Mushana -> Helping Hand + Metagross(Normal Jewel) -> Explosion. While the Telepathy Obemu stands next to him using Trick Room once my team got Al-qaeda'd into oblivion. I think I don't even have to explain what happened afterwards.

What happened was Telepathy Mushana -> Helping Hand + Metagross(Normal Jewel) -> Explosion. While the Telepathy Obemu stands next to him using Trick Room once my team got Al-qaeda'd into oblivion. I think I don't even have to explain what happened afterwards.
This reminds me of Niched's (still) unbeaten VGC2010 team, where CBMetagross Explosion killed off their two leads, with (iirc) Giratina picking off any ghosts. Then he would bring in something, Perish Song, and stall out 3 turns. Perhaps a similar combo to this for triples? It would be less effective with Explosion's nerf, but...

It should be better now that we have Wide Guard to counter Explosion attempts. A successful explosion sure win you lots of game, but Explosion into Wide Guard is quite a GG . I'm running a team with SD + Explosion Randorosu and an unexpected Wide Guard screwed me over and over again.

Flash Fire. Please tell me Ninetales has access to Lava Plume?
Sadly, it doesn't. It does have Bursting Flame which would hit Tyflosion but I don't think that activates Flash Fire.

PoSwords: Explosion teams aren't as popular anymore since Explosion no longer cuts Defense in half.

I've been trying out a Discharge team on Pokemon Online and it's worked out rather well. There's been quite a few new Lightning Rod users like Zapdos and Raichu which work well when they can just spam Discharge. Zapdos's Discharge becomes insanely powerful after a few boosts and can hurt anything that's not immune to it. Fake Out and Encore make Raichu a great Pokemon to use in Triples and Grass Knot deals with Ground types that are immune to Discharge. Quite a few times I've been able to Encore my opponent's Protect which pretty much takes them out of the battle for three turns.

The other Pokemon I'm leading with is Claydol which is a great Pokemon for my team as it's immune to Electric and can set up Reflect and Light Screen, which usually last for the entire match. Ground types really aren't a huge problem since half of my team is immune to Ground (Electivire has a Balloon) and things like Grass Knot and HP Ice can take them out. The paralysis chance for Discharge is also quite nice since it takes care of fast Pokemon and I usually get atleast two full Paralyses per match.

This reminds me of Niched's (still) unbeaten VGC2010 team, where CBMetagross Explosion killed off their two leads, with (iirc) Giratina picking off any ghosts. Then he would bring in something, Perish Song, and stall out 3 turns. Perhaps a similar combo to this for triples? It would be less effective with Explosion's nerf, but...
I would bring in Lapras. Yeah, with regards to triples strategy, I had a hilarious Idea that involved perish song and free falling my own Shadow Tag user. Unfortunately that strategy would not work. But yeah, does telepathy block perish song? If it does, just spam that at the end.

With regards to the anger point strategy, Nageki. It (and smeargle) are the only users of Mountain storm, the 40 power always crit Fighting move. It also gets Inner focus, and so can't be flinched out, and has wide guard to protect your team. (does your own wide guard protect from your own earthquake?)

Wide Guard will protect you from your own Earthquake.

I don't see why you would want to run Nageki to get Anger Point to work, though. Mountain Storm hits both Tauros and Waruvial SE while Ice Breath only hits Waruvial SE. IMO, you're much better off going with Froslass with Ice Breath for your Anger Point needs since it's immune to Fake Out, faster than Waruvial and ties with Tauros (so you can use your +6 Atk on the first turn), and has Taunt to prevent your opponent from setting up something like Trick Room that will completely ruin your strategy.

Sorry to revive this from the depths of the forum, but google seemed to say this is the closest thing we have to a Triples discussion thread, and The Masked Nitpicker's recent warstory has piqued my interest in the metagame.

So, would anyone playing triples be able to sum up a lot of the best strategies for people hoping to get involved? One would think Trick Room would be even more deadly than in doubles, as would weather/Tailwind based strategies.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, since we don't yet have Global Link, I've only been playing the Wi-Fi free matches, which are probably a lot easier than the Rated matches. The best players at this point are of course, Japanese. A lot of what I've read in this thread still holds.

I'll tell you this: there is a Prankster Whimsicott with Tailwind on virtually every Japanese team. It's really annoying. Whimsicott will also have Encore, so using Fake Out (the only way to stop it) is also a dangerous idea. GameFreak really went overboard with this one.

Also, expect that Hitmontop with Intimidate and Fake Out to have an Escape Button so that it can switch out for free and use them again later.

Actually what do you think of Storm Drain or Lightningrod abuse? Gastrodon has a passable 92 base SAtk, while Zapdos and Manectric spamming Discharge with a Mamoswine in between to kill ground-types sounds very deadly.

One team that I have had a lot of success with is leading with abomasnot, glaceon, and porygon 2. Porygon 2 sets up TR while abomasnow and glaceon spam blizzard. Glaceon has the most powerful blizzard in the game so its pretty effective.

Actually what do you think of Storm Drain or Lightningrod abuse? Gastrodon has a passable 92 base SAtk, while Zapdos and Manectric spamming Discharge with a Mamoswine in between to kill ground-types sounds very deadly.
Wouldn't the Zapdos and Manectric need to be next to each other to be hit by Discharge? Otherwise they wouldn't get the boosts.

How to Stop Trick Room From Ever Being Used:

Imprison Azelf with Trick Room.

Even better if the Azelf has Helping Hand from Gen IV Move Tutor.

Well, since we don't yet have Global Link, I've only been playing the Wi-Fi free matches, which are probably a lot easier than the Rated matches. The best players at this point are of course, Japanese. A lot of what I've read in this thread still holds.

I'll tell you this: there is a Prankster Whimsicott with Tailwind on virtually every Japanese team. It's really annoying. Whimsicott will also have Encore, so using Fake Out (the only way to stop it) is also a dangerous idea. GameFreak really went overboard with this one.

Also, expect that Hitmontop with Intimidate and Fake Out to have an Escape Button so that it can switch out for free and use them again later.
Tailwind Whimsicott seems like you could anti-meta fairly well with a TR team? Admittedly setting it up takes some support, but it seems worth it.

Hitmontop with EB seems pretty insane, stuff like that is why I love Doubles and and becoming more interested in Triples.

Problem with Lightingrod is that it draws in Lightning attacks - I'm not sure it this means they won't hit the opponent or not, but you want to be sure you won't be sucking up your own attacks before trying anything like this. Until then, there's always Zapchomp.

One team that I have had a lot of success with is leading with abomasnot, glaceon, and porygon 2. Porygon 2 sets up TR while abomasnow and glaceon spam blizzard. Glaceon has the most powerful blizzard in the game so its pretty effective.
Blizzspam seems quite effective, your TR setup doesn't seem too secure though, though Magic Coat could help that I guess - and ofc you will be outsped by dedicated TR teams using slower mons than you as well.

How to Stop Trick Room From Ever Being Used:

Imprison Azelf with Trick Room.

Even better if the Azelf has Helping Hand from Gen IV Move Tutor.
You'd have to combine this with an Anger Powder user surely to prevent FO being used? Especially if in the centre position so you can Imprison the whole enemy team.

Anyway, does anyone know any uses for After You/You First? It seems really useful but then it's only distributed on mons with base 105 Speed (Lopunny...) or lower. Perhaps utility for normal teams against TR teams I guess, since things like Quagsire and Snorlax learn it who may be useful for them? I suppose it's a good thing noone with Pranksteer gets it, else TR/Anti-TR strats would just get even more complex.

Lilligant gets after you and cholorphyll, so in sun it could probably use it to great effect. In fact, you're probably better off using that rather than entrainment in the eruption strategy- especially since then you can use eruption heatran rather than typhlosion, and can still use Heatran's/DW typhlosion's flash fire. The only problem is you can't helping hand afterwards, but this way the opponent doesn't get a turn to attack your eruption user before they're super-fast.

No Guard abuse is completely forgotten in this thread. No Guard+ Zap Cannon, Inferno and of course Dynamic Punch, AND basicly 1/3rd of the metagame having a 100%accurate sleep move AND being able to use a starmie with Thunder/Hydro Pump/Blizzard(too lazy to search if it learns it) etc, etc, while a poke with No Guard is on the field, is too good to pass up, IMO.

Even if someone did "use" this strategy on youtube, you have no idea if it was no guard or they just got lucky. And since it was a patched version, there is always the possibility of something getting messed up... or changed on purpose.

EDIT: Also, I couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)