Defying the Norm (Normal Monotype Team)

After browsing Smogon for a while, I appropriated the idea of a school-based Gym Leader challenge from some threads that vaguely mentioned it. A few of my friends have taken up the mantles of monotypes such as Bug, Ground, and Electric, but I chose an (arguably) more difficult monotype-- Normal. With no offensive strengths to it's STAB, plus two resistances and an immunity, a team composed entirely of Normal pokemon proved to be pretty challenging (not as bad as Poison monotype, amirite?). This is also my first ever post on Smogon, so if I screw up the formatting, I apologize in advance.

Anywho, down to the good stuff- i.e., the part where you tell me how bad my team is and how to make it any less shitty.

NOTE: WILD CARDS ARE NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ANY POKEMON THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE WORD "NORMAL" IN EITHER OF IT'S TYPINGS.

The Anti-Lead

Brombipom
Ambipom @ Life Orb
4HP / 252Atk / 252Spe
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly

Moves
Fake Out
Taunt
U-Turn
Pursuit

This little guy kicks major ass in and out of OU (why he is considered inferior to other anti-leads, I'll never know). The concept is simple enough (this is his standard set, after all)-- Fake Out for free damage (90 BP with STAB and Technician, if I calculated properly) and to break Sashes on Pokemon like Roserade, etc. Follow up with Taunt if it's something you predict to be able to handle. If it's something that isn't offensively powerful enough to OHKO Pory (which should be next to nothing without boosts), or if it's a physical attacker that requires boosts to get moving (i.e., most physical sweepers), U-Turn out to either Porygon2 or Lopunny depending on whether you want to play it safe or go for an early sweep.

The Big Guns

Brosaring
Ursaring @ Flame Orb
252Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Guts

Moves
Swords Dance
Facade
Crunch
Close Combat/Earthquake

Ursaring is a monster. After considering Snorlax for the spot because of his immense special bulk, I realized my team was low on sweepers, so I slashed Lax and put in Ursaring. He has yet to dissapoint me-- after a Swords Dance and Guts boost, his Attack reaches 1017 after a single turn of setup. If you don't OHKO everything that doesn't resist the listed moveset, UR DOIN IT WRONG. Close Combat is probably the superior decision due to coverage of defensive types like Steel and Rock and strong offensive types like Dark, Ice, and opposing Normals. Earthquake is for super-effective Electric coverage, but given that most Electric types either have dual typing that allowed a super effective hit or thin defenses, Ursaring with Close Combat is the best choice. The strategy here is to get Lopunny to Baton Pass an Agility and a Substitute after Burning their physical sweeper and SD'ing up, then sweeping until your own burn cuts short your sweep.

Gay Little Fairy Boy

Brogekiss
Togekiss @ Life Orb
4HP / 252SpAtk / 252Spe
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid/Modest

Moves
Nasty Plot
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Roost

Switch in on something Snorlax isn't too comfortable with initially or on a predicted Earthquake/Shadow Ball and Nasty Plot up, then use Air Slash or Aura Sphere depending on typing. As far as I know, Flying/Fighting offers perfect coverage (or very close to it), and there's not much that can handle a STAB Air Slash crit coming off a 744 (assuming you ran a Modest nature) Sp. Atk stat. If you can get off another Nasty Plot, it's GG for the opponent. Roost is to heal off Life Orb recoil and whatever hits you may take. I have some Speed problems with this guy sometimes, but that's nothing a little Paralysis support can't help with. Speaking of which...

Obligatory Wall

Brorygon2
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
252 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpDef
Nature: Bold
Ability: Trace

Moves
Thunderbolt/Swagger
Ice Beam
Thunder Wave
Recover

Eviolite is, without a doubt, the coolest thing to be introduced this generation. When Pory packs this bitch, both of his defenses skyrocket into the 400-ish range (Sp. Def is just shy of the 400 mark). Anything that can't kill this thing outright (i.e., nothing without a few boosts under it's belt) will be bitchslapped with some delicious Paralysis, which makes everything in the game fodder for a Togekiss sweep. Not only can Pory slow folks down though-- he can also do some decent damage himself using the infamous BoltBeam combo. Swagger is an option to induce confusion and piss people off even more, but it's very risky due to the +2 attack that comes with it. If you're running Swagger, make sure you use it on a special attacker that comes into Pory expecting a round of free boosts and bring in Togekiss to set up.

Supportalicious

Bropunny
Lopunny @ Flame Orb
252HP / 4Def / 252Spe
Ability: Klutz

Moves
Agility
Substitute
Baton Pass
Switcheroo

Ah, I found my replacement for Meloetta-Piroutte! Lopunny is fast, has usable defenses, and probably one of the most incredible and diverse support movepools I've ever seen. The idea here is to Switcheroo her Flame Orb (which will not burn her due to Klutz, her unique ability) to a key physical sweeper or revenge killer on the opposing team, Substitute on the switch, allowing her to set up a free agility, and then Baton Passing that Agility to either Cinccino or Togekiss. I haven't playtested this set on Pokelab yet, but it works wonders when I use it against friends on my retail cartridge.

The Philanthropist (pronounced fuhl-on-ray-pist)

Broccino
Cinccino @ Life Orb
4HP / 252Atk / 252Spe
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Skill Link

Moves
Tail Slap
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed
U-Turn

Oh, man. This guy. Nobody ever sees it coming: cute, fluffy little chinchilla comes out and everyone is like "wtf is this shit I see". Then the cute, fluffy chinchilla says "sup guys, just gonna smack your shit around with my 187.5 BP Tail Slap coming off a 317 Attack if you don't mind". Yes, you read correctly. With Skill Link and STAB, the equation look something like: (25*1.5) * 5 = 187.5. While Tail Slap is preferable, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed, both of which clock in at 125 BP are here for coverage, and U-Turn is to make a hasty escape when the opponent brings something in that you don't expect to be able to handle with Cinccino's relatively brittle defenses.

Please, feel free to offer suggestions, revamps of movesets, EV changes, and complete replacements. I'm open to anything you have to say, as I'm comparitively new on the competitive battling scene and don't completely and absolutely understand all game mechanics quite yet.

Bump.

I replaced Meloetta with Lopunny, who has much more utility. I'm considering replacing Snorlax with Life Orb or Guts/Flame Orb Ursaring as a Baton Passed Agility recipient.

Any thoughts?

Added Ursaring as a replacement for Curselax. The idea is for Lopunny to set up a Sub and an Agility, cripple an opposing attacker, and Baton Pass the Agility to Ursa, who then sets up with Swords Dance and proceeds to rape the opposing team. I've yet to take out less than two opposing Pokemon with this technique, but I think Ursaring's longevity may be improved with Life Orb for a better sweep. It's a tradeoff between +3 attack with one turn of setup or a chance an extended sweep at the risk of being statused.

Girafarig could give you neutral fighting weakness and be a passer the it could pass calm minds to porgon2 while giving paralyze support the set would be
Girafarig@leftovers
Thunder wave
Calm mind
Baton pass
Wish/charge beam

I bet your thinking WTF but hear me out after an agility and sub from luppony this poke can get at least one calm mind.thunder wave helps to get more CM. Charge beam could be for if your taunted and get boosts that increase power then pass when the taunt is over but wish could heal a burnt usarang or weak chinchilla. Thunder wave could then allow porygon2 to scratch TW and have swagger and boltbeam. Although girafarig is a crap pokemon if done well you've set up to win as porygon2/togekiss obliterate everything with the sp att boost.

Girafarig (or at least, that specific Girafarig) seems somewhat redundant given that Togekiss already has a stat-boosting move, and giving up a team slot for a pokemon that is essentially passing a +1 Sp. Def boost and doing something that Pory is already perfectly capable of doing (Thunder Wave) without getting OHKO'd by almost any move. While Wish support is nice, it simply doesn't justify removing any of the pokemon I have up and the synergies they have amongst each other.

Have you considered making Togekiss bulkier? After a T-wave she outspeeds +Speed Base 100s anyway, and the extra defenses would definitely help. I'm thinking;

Togekiss @ Life Orb
252HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nasty Plot
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Roost

Basically what you have already, but with max Hp and a little bit of Def thrown in. This'll also help Porygon live longer, since you'd be able to bring Togekiss into some threats.

I want to suggest a Staraptor, but I can't think of anyone to replace besides Ursaring.If you can find a space for it though, here's the set I'd recommend:

Staraptor @ Life Orb / Leftovers
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Close Combat
Brave Bird
U-Turn/Pursuit
Roost

Flying Fighting has near perfect coverage, stopped only by lolrotom and Zapdos, and because the original Rotom is the only Ghost/Electric anymore, Zapdos is your only concern. He doesn't really have any moves to take care of him though, so the choice between U-Turn and Pursuit is whether you need momentum or trapping more. Roost for obvious healing.

Hey man. Mono poison isn't that bad. Mono grass is the toughest to do.

Anyway, I like this team, it's pretty good. Ursaring isn't really very good and is too frail though, and I would put Stoutland in there over him.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch / Pursuit
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Wild Bolt / Retribution
ability: Sand Throw
nature: Adamant
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

That set is surprisingly powerful, and with Sand Throw you can counter Sandstorm teams with ease (outspeed Excadrill and pound it).

Have you considered making Togekiss bulkier? After a T-wave she outspeeds +Speed Base 100s anyway, and the extra defenses would definitely help. I'm thinking;

Togekiss @ Life Orb
252HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nasty Plot
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Roost

Basically what you have already, but with max Hp and a little bit of Def thrown in. This'll also help Porygon live longer, since you'd be able to bring Togekiss into some threats.

I want to suggest a Staraptor, but I can't think of anyone to replace besides Ursaring.If you can find a space for it though, here's the set I'd recommend:

Staraptor @ Life Orb / Leftovers
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Close Combat
Brave Bird
U-Turn/Pursuit
Roost

Flying Fighting has near perfect coverage, stopped only by lolrotom and Zapdos, and because the original Rotom is the only Ghost/Electric anymore, Zapdos is your only concern. He doesn't really have any moves to take care of him though, so the choice between U-Turn and Pursuit is whether you need momentum or trapping more. Roost for obvious healing.
I actually considered putting Staraptor in there for a while, but since it gets the exact same coverage as Togekiss I'd either have to get rid of Toge or deal with the redundancy in coverage. It would also leave me with an almost exclusively physical team, so I'd get completely raped by defensively-oriented stall teams and won't have a setup sweeper at all. However, I will definitely be implementing your Togekiss suggestions, as keeping Toge alive and well for a continued sweep is definitely a good thing, and doing it while maxing Sp. Atk is something I never considered.

Hey man. Mono poison isn't that bad. Mono grass is the toughest to do.

Anyway, I like this team, it's pretty good. Ursaring isn't really very good and is too frail though, and I would put Stoutland in there over him.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch / Pursuit
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Wild Bolt / Retribution
ability: Sand Throw
nature: Adamant
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

That set is surprisingly powerful, and with Sand Throw you can counter Sandstorm teams with ease (outspeed Excadrill and pound it).
The coverage this offers is pretty damn good, so I think I'm gonna try it out. I'll probably use it primarily against teams I know are going to be utilizing Sandstorm, since it isn't quite as strong as Ursa and notably more fragile than Snorlax.

I really appreciate the feedback and will get back to you on how the changes work out for me.

Alright, so I used Staraptor and I have to say it works wonders as a choiced revenge killer or Life Orb sweeper. That extra fighting neutrality makes a world of difference on a team with such a huge exploitable weakness, and he generally fails not to OHKO anything that doesn't resist the move I use (which, as far as I know, is next to nothing unless I mispredict a switch). I like to pretend I have a Choice item by using Close Combat a few times until they switch, then surprise them with a STAB Brave Bird or Return to the face on the switch. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add him up there as soon as I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)