Dragonite (Analysis)

Agreed, perhaps if EspyOwner decides to tell us what the moveset is intended to be used for but I don't see what he's seeing as it is. Though when I get the chance I'll test the EV spread as an alternative on the Swift's Parashuffler.
I'm trying an alternative to his set,(less bulk in exchange for more attack) and so far the results have been good. Easily stop guys who try to set-up and sweep.

To be honest, the set was to stop my theorymon leads that, like I said, I thought were going to be extremely popular until I figured the WiFi clause.

Things like NinjaBug/Pendoraa/etc. were to be hit by Fire Blast/Exspeed, while things like Kojondo (the main reason for the defense EVs in this set) were to take Dragon Claws. Honestly, the set needs revamping defense-wise and offense-wise. I think I can get it so that Doryuuzu's Rock Slide doesn't even 2HKO, in case of a Fire Blast miss, but I'm not sure.

Either way, I do enjoy this set very much tbh. Surprised that people didn't actually look over the whole 1PC thing and go "Oh, one post. Nub."

Here's some nice EV placements for anyone who wants to try out a set for - 252/48@HP/Defense, can act as a massive check to Doryuuzu.

Doryuuzu@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Rock Slide vs Dragonite@Leftovers (252/48 EVs, +Nature): 27.9 ~ 33.1% (108 ~ 128 HP)

I don't know what moves you people would put on that, EQ may be moot half the time, and Fire Blast only 2HKOs, but there's always a possibility of Extremespeed revenging, I guess. As always, Dragonite is one of my favourite defensive Pokemon this gen.

Edit again, just calced the EVs required to Fire Blast/Exspeed combo KO.
Dragonite@Leftovers (100 EVs, Neutral Nature) Fire Blast vs Doryuuzu@Life Orb (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 75.3 ~ 88.6% (272 ~ 320 HP)
It's basicly Fire Blast --> Exspeed for min of 75%/min of 15% hits. I would suggest adding in some more Sp.Attk or Attack EVs if you're trying to go up against Leftovers/Balloon Dorry.

Idk why SpecsNite was rejected again so quickly. He definitely has a niche in the rain with a moveset of Draco Meteor / Surf / Thunder / Hurricane. Emphasis on the STAB Hurricane. Unlike Lati@s he can actually hit Nattorei outside of HP Fighting. Worth some kind of mention imo.

I did some rough testing of EspyOwner's 100 HP / 216 Def / 192 SDef EV Spread on Swift's Parashuffler and the result was nothing short of beauty. EspyOwner wasn't kidding, especially with Roost to shake of Ice/Rock Damage while reactivating Multiscale, Dragonite is not going down anytime quickly. With the Parashuffler set nothing but a Ground Type showing up is going to rain on Dragonite's parade and even then Dragonite will most likely sooner run out of PP on Dragon Tail before he's taken out. With SR support and against anything that isn't a Sandstorm Team the results really are something I encourage anyone using the current parashuffler to check out.

I did some rough testing of EspyOwner's 100 HP / 216 Def / 192 SDef EV Spread on Swift's Parashuffler and the result was nothing short of beauty. EspyOwner wasn't kidding, especially with Roost to shake of Ice/Rock Damage while reactivating Multiscale, Dragonite is not going down anytime quickly. With the Parashuffler set nothing but a Ground Type showing up is going to rain on Dragonite's parade and even then Dragonite will most likely sooner run out of PP on Dragon Tail before he's taken out. With SR support and against anything that isn't a Sandstorm Team the results really are something I encourage anyone using the current parashuffler to check out.

It's funny it's getting so much praise here on the forums - People on the server were only saying it was a terrible idea.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Ok, the QC team has finally discussed this and here's what we came up with;

1. Remove Fire Punch from the Mixed set; it's really weak and Fire Blast is superior in every way, simply because it does more to Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory.
  2. "Gale" should be listed as "Hurricane" on the Rain Sweeper.
  3. The Dragon Dance set has one too many slashes. The QC team believes that ExtremeSpeed should be de-slashed and mentioned in Additional Comments instead. It's handy for picking off weak threats every now and then, but overall, it's quite weak without any boosts.
  4. Make the EV spread on the Dragon Dance set 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe. The 40 Atk EVs on your current spread don't really accomplish much, and with max Speed, you'll be able to outpace base 130's.
That's pretty much it!

QC APPROVED (2/3)

We discussed the issue of Fire Punch and concluded that it was mostly due the fact that the move is not affected by the negative stat drops of a Draco Meteor like Fire Blast is. I donno if this warrants the addition, but it's something to consider.

ExtremeSpeed on the DD set is mostly for Mischievous Heart Pokemon (Particularly Erufuun), but I guess now we know that they aren't used that often, it's not that important. I think it should be added (within the additional comments area next to the move) that ExtremeSpeed is truly only viable on the offensive DDNite anyway.

We discussed the issue of Fire Punch and concluded that it was mostly due the fact that the move is not affected by the negative stat drops of a Draco Meteor like Fire Blast is. I donno if this warrants the addition, but it's something to consider.

ExtremeSpeed on the DD set is mostly for Mischievous Heart Pokemon (Particularly Erufuun), but I guess now we know that they aren't used that often, it's not that important. I think it should be added (within the additional comments area next to the move) that ExtremeSpeed is truly only viable on the offensive DDNite anyway.
They are good enough for mentions at least.

Back from a friggin test where I studied for 2 whole days and failed miserably, so lets get our hands dirty and do the edits ^^

EDIT: I'll leave Fire Punch on additional comments tho, -2 FB deals less than +0 FP to most Steels due to bigger base Atk, SpD investments etc. Hope that's not an issue.

Earthquake defenitely deserves a mention on the Rain attacker set over Brick Break- otherwise Specially Defensive Jirachi takes your attacks with absolutely no effort and you gain great coverage, electric types like Lanturn and Magnezone are also much easier to get rid of.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe that brick break is used only because of nattorei... using eq would defeat the purpose of killing it. also i dont think specially defensive jirachi is very common

Hurricane hits Ferrothorn harder than Brick Break (180 BP v. 150 BP).... and it doesn't force Dragonite to take 1/8 of its health in Iron Barbs damage! Specially defensive Jirachi is a common utility counter for things like Latios and can otherwise switch in/heal up against Dragonite so it is very relevant.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wait nevermind brick break is to kill ttars that come in and ruin the accuracy of your moves so its important for that.

edit: sorry for the double post i'm new here and forgot u can edit the posts.... i wont do it again probably

Extremespeed is illegal with multiscale i believe, so on the listed band set you have to run inner focus, which means you can also use superpower.

Woah, smogon is finally back? So, who'll be the next QC we get?

Also anyone out there good on writing paragraphs? Cuz I suck big time without effort and right now I don't quite have the time needed for it.

Make the EV spread on the Dragon Dance set 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe. The 40 Atk EVs on your current spread don't really accomplish much, and with max Speed, you'll be able to outpace base 130's.
The 40 Attack EVs on that spread achieve more than Maxing speed. Dragonite falls short of the base 130s with Max Speed at +1 and still less than scarf 110s at +2. You are wasting those 40 EVs if you move them to Speed. Put them into attack like before because you are boosting it every turn.

[SET]
name: MixNite
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Extreme Speed / Roost
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Superpower / Brick Break
item: Life Orb
nature: Quiet
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
This needs a better EV spread because it is inefficient. Go with what I bolded and mention this spread in AC because it outspeeds Breloom and Gliscor.

80 Atk, 252 SpA, 176 Spe, Rash

Also, remove the ability tag and slash Brick Break... Multi-Scale is that good.

Also, I tested the rain abuser and it can be improved drastically. I've used this set on my rain teams for a LONG time now and I can confidently say it is an improvement.

[SET]
name: Rain Mix
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 3: Extremespeed
move 4: Roost
ability: Multi-Scale
nature: Quiet
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe

The water "STAB" is nice here. Aqua Tail is best because it hits Tyranitar the hardest out of the 3 and will hit neutral targets very hard from the physical side of the spectrum. Aqua Tail is preferred for power, as it does 50-58% to Bold Blissey in the Rain (Waterfall does 44-51%). Also, Hurricane + Extremespeed will beat a LOT of shit out there.

Also, I used a Dragon Dance Mixed sweeper on a Rain Team. I encourage some people to test it. It was stupidly effective. This is similar to Salamence, but Dragonite gets a safer Dragon Dance with Multi-Scale.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance Mixed
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hurricane / Draco Meteor
ability: Multi-Scale
nature: Rash
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe

The EVs allow for 236 Spe, enough to outspeed the genies at +1. You can shift the extra 56 EVs to speed to outspeed ScarfChomp at +2, HOWEVER you can lose important OHKOs on Tyranitar and Metagross with Earthquake which are crucial if you are using this on a rain team to abuse Hurricane (which you should because it has no drawbacks).

Also, I used this set extensively as well.

[SET]
name: Agiliscale
move 1: Agility
move 2: Hurricane / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Surf / Fire Blast
move 4: Roost
ability: Multi Scale
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Modest
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

This thing is a killer staller with Toxic Spikes, or a killer sweeper with regular spikes. Agility on the switch so that you are faster than everything. From here you can either attempt to stall for poison damage with Roost + Multi-Scale until they are in your killing range. Fast Roost with Multi-Scale is really realy good. The given EV spread is best with Life Orb, as its more about damage and less about stalling. However, Leftovers gives even more Multi-Scale abuse, which you should probably go with 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe, Modest, which outspeeds even base 130s after an Agility and gives you enormous bulk with Multi-Scale.

-quick question; Hurricane only gets improved Accuracy in the Rain, right?-

The anti-lead from last gen still works great; nobody sees it coming!
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Extremespeed
-(forgot other move; could be Outrage or Earthquake...)

The Fire Blast is key; so many Scizors and Ferrothorns have switched in thinking about an easy set-up, but they get taken out with one Fire Blast. Inner Focus would be superior on this set; it suprises (did I spell that right?) many Fake Out users, resulting in their deaths at Dragonite's hands (Infernape, Ambipom).

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
On the rain abuser set, deslash Dragon Tail and just mention it in Additional Comments for that set. Also in the AC of the DDNite set mention using a 252 HP/252 SpDef Careful spread in order to abuse Multi-Scale.

QC Approved (3/3)

I'm sad to say this, but I don't have the time I'd like to make the paragraphs.

If anyone could kindly take this part, I'd be really thankful.

So... anyone wants to?

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Ok, I'll lock this then. If you're interested in writing Dragonite's analysis, PM Rising_Dusk and I and we'll consider you. I plan on being picky with who gets this analysis since it's quite important!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)