CAP1 - Part 13.5 - (Pre-Evo Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright! Now that we have art, we go to one of the most important flavor parts of the PreCAP, the name! This is the name that PreCAP1 will forever be known as and implemented into the server as, so be mindful of that!

Below are some relevant rules for names and this thread in general:

• Names must be marked as final submissions to get into the polls. Be sure to make it clear to me in your post that the name you want to submit is your final submission.
  • Only one final submission per person. This is for cutting down on the inevitably large number of names that will be proposed in this thread. You're allowed to post multiple names and get feedback, but you may only consider one of these names your final submission.
  • The length limit for Pokemon names is 10 characters. This is the limit that exists in-game, and it's the limit that we will be using for submissions here.
  • Do NOT post just to say that you like another name, without some additional reasoning. Your post will be moderated. The system here is that names that get a lot of support will grab my attention more than ones that don't, but it's not that hard to back up your post with reasoning. For example, "I like the name Cutelionz because in addition to being catchy, it's also fitting because it paints an accurate picture of the cuteness level of this Pokemon" is going to be allowed because it's descriptive, whereas "I like the name Cutelionz a lot" is spam and will be moderated.
  • Don't submit a name that contains profanity or suggests profanity. This should go without saying.
Here's our pre-evo so far:
Main Design

Supporting Material

Side-on pose showing spots and egg shaped body.

This Tomohawk prevo concept is a little cub with a protective fluffy egg body. The ruffles around its face show the beginnings of the feather-like fur that Tomohawk uses for flight after it evolves. Its wide, flat, oversized arms hint at wings. Tomohawk's purple markings are foreshadowed in the purple spots on cub-hawk's egg body.
Typing: Normal / Fighting
Base Stats: 55 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 20 SpA / 70 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Scrappy / Prankster

Final Submission

Scratchet

Etymology: Scratch + Hatchet
Scratchet is a portmanteau of scratch, which is something that both sounds immature and PreCAP1 looks like it'd do a lot of, and hatchet, which keeps it totally in line with its evolution, Tomohawk. I really wanted to keep with the axe theme for the Pokemon to give it a trival feeling, but I also really wanted a name that clearly indicated immaturity and a bit of scrappiness. I think that Scratchet really comes together to accomplish all of those things in one adorable package.

...and for those of you curious, the name stage is the only stage where the ATL can submit!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Final Submission

Scratchick

Scratch + Chick

Yeah yeah it's a cub not a bird, but ehh.

Also, screw you R_D and your stealing of my ideas.

Having trouble deciding among Tomcat, Tomocat, Tomkit, etc. The idea is fairly obvious, but I'm not sure which is the best to go with.

I'm trying to find ways to incorporate Native American tribe terms into the name, but I am finding it very difficult ;_;

EDIT; nvm got it:

Chippakee

-Chipper+Cherokee: Chipper is usually seen as a term used to describe rambunctious kids. Plus it works with the theme of tools with blades (Starting off with a chisel or some shit, chipping wood, and moving up to the big guns i.e. Tomahawks). Plus it sounds kinda like Chickadee, which was kinda unintentional, but it adds to the half-bird theme.

(Chipperkee also works a guess)

Having trouble deciding among Tomcat, Tomocat, Tomkit, etc. The idea is fairly obvious, but I'm not sure which is the best to go with.
The word "tomcat" refers only to male cats, so don't go with just the plain word... Tomkit sounds really cute, however, I like it.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission...

Cubhawk

Etymology: Cub + Mohawk

Cub refers to the fact that this Pokemon is a Cub, & Mohawk refers to the same thing that the "mohawk" in Tomohawk refers to, which for the uneducated, is a tribe. I simply wanted a simple name for the pre-evo that's linked to its evolution in its name. Other than that, that's about it from me.

Final Submission

Hatchlete: Hatchet (also "hatch" as in what eggs do) + Athlete (refrencing its better physical capabilities than Tomohawk)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Kittihawk

In support of this name. Some background:

Aside from being Kitty+Hawk and following Tomohawk's naming scheme, Kittihawk also has some history behind it.
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina was where the Wright brothers first took flight. This fits perfectly with the concept of a grounded pokemon learning to fly, and even if the reference is lost to some, the name still fits.

I really like Tomcat. I think it is good in the way Stratagem was good (though you can't really beat that one) plus it keeps up gen 1's tradition of keeping part of the name, which I'm a big fan of.

Final Submission

Hatchcat

Explanation
From hatchet/hatch and cat. Hatchet because of the theme from the main tomahawk idea, hatch because of the art being and egg-like shape and that is how birds come into the world (they hatch if you diddn't catch my drift) and cat because also cat themed... Sorta trailing now

Final Submission

Kittihawk
In support of this name. Some background:

Aside from being Kitty+Hawk and following Tomohawk's naming scheme, Kittihawk also has some history behind it.
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina was where the Wright brothers first took flight. This fits perfectly with the concept of a grounded pokemon learning to fly, and even if the reference is lost to some, the name still fits.

DFrog's Hatchcat is my favorite submission so far; I like how it combines Hatch, Hatchet, and Cat, all words that are perfect for describing Tomohawk's pre-evo IMO. Although after reading darkchicken's post on the Wright brothers, I also support Fatecrasher's Kittihawk.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd like to throw this name back into the mix, even though it's not mine and was actually submitted in the regular name poll:

Cherokeet

Name is based off of the native american tribe Cherokee and a parakeet :)
At the time Cherokeet was submitted, I thought it would be a great pre-evo name. And just to be clear: Credit goes to Joeyboy for this name, not me.

Looking at the submissions so far, I find that Scratchet is by far the best name. Maybe I'm biased because it's very similar to my CAP 11 name, but it just really comes together with the small axe reference and a very fitting "prefix" word. I don't know if I'm even going to attempt a submission for this X(

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really like Scratchet. It's easy and fun to say, plus the "et" at the end gives the impression of something immature and small, but it also sounds fiesty, which fits I think :)

Hatchcat is definitely clever, but I don't think the name sounds as good, and it's harder to say.

Kittihawk is also really clever, but I don't think it fits as well with the pokemon. PreCAP1 is not very hawkish!

Do any of these seem to fit? These names draw from keywords such as lion, hawk, hybrid, and purple.

Flybrid:
It will be able to fly soon, and it's a hybrid of two animals.

Windoo:
Wind for flying, and Mace Windu is the only Jedi with a purple lightsaber. :naughty: Had to get this one out of my system. I mostly lurk here, but I feel like there's already a user or something named Windoo. Might be getting confused with other sites though.

Roarkid:
Roar, kid, and orchid (a light tone of purple) combined.

Bixie:
Sounds cute, and is a Chinese lion chimera.

Chimaero:
Chimera plus aero.

Felidaero:
Because this CAP is lionesque, I looked what family lions belong to--Felidae. To capture its hawk characteristics, I added "ro" to the end for aero.

Flion:
More of a play on words than anything.

Leonate:
Leo and neonate, usually used to describe a newborn child.

Purrple:
My least favorite. Sounds a lot like Purrloin, and I don't even know if lions purr. Plus, it's barely purple.

Okay, so far:

Mohawk + Catulus = Mocatulus

It feels pretty weird. Mohawk is the same tribe, to keep the band with Tomohawk, and Catulus is a Latin word for cub.

Hatchawk:
hachet + hawk

Tomattack:
Tomohawk + Attack but I think that it would fit the evo better and is too tough for this pre-evo. Feedback on both names would be appreciated.

I also really like Scratchet

In no particular order, my submissions. Tell me which is best for my final submission.

Flufficub

D'awwwww, it's SOOOOO CUTE!

Cubtooth

Cub+Tooth, due to the cuteness of that one tooth

Kitticub

Kitten+Cub=My submission (not final)

Liking Scratchet too.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not great at names, but w/e...
Final Submission

Bluffet

There are many things going on in this name (perhaps too many). The name is "buffet", which means "to batter", which is exactly what Bluffet seems to be doing in the artwork. It also starts with the word "bluff", which kind of works flavor-wise with the ability Prankster as well as the ability Intimidate for Tomohawk later on. The "et" suffix is there as a reference to hatchet, which has been used for the other names for the reasons listed by other people. To tie everything up, the name sounds peculiarly similar to a certain Pokemon...

I thought of this a while ago but didn't want to post it after I saw how many closely sounding "Hatchet" names there are, but what the hey.

Final Submission

Hatchlet

It's very simply hatchling + hatchet. Hatchling is because it's recently hatched (and egg-shaped to boot), while a hatchet is a small axe. By the way, hatchet is from the French word "hachette" which literally means "small axe" (hache = axe) and that's terribly cute!

Leotund (Leo + Rotund)

I don't even know how I thought of that. Just conveys a small, fat feline cub, which pretty much sums up the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)