Underrated Little Cup Pokemon

I wouldn't say Chinchou is underrated, I see it a lot. On the other hand, I find this poor guy to be insanely underrated:

Drilbur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 SAtk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Frustration / Rock Slide

The first nature and spread gives it 32 Speed under Sandstorm and 19 Attack, which it can quickly boost to 38 with Swords Dance. Earthquake hits anything that doesn't resist it like a ton of bricks. Shadow Claw OHKOs non-Eviolite Misdreavus before a Swords Dance, so it obviously KOs bulky ones at +2 as well. Frustration is better than Rock Slide, since it still one-shots all the non-Gligar birds (aka. offensive Murkrow), while hitting Monmen and Gligar (does about half at +2) much harder.

The second spread gives you a better way of dealing with Gligar, as Hidden Power 2HKOs it on the switch. It still retains most of its power, at 18 Attack, and all of its speed, although dropping some of it to git Gligar harder might be okay. This still gets walled to hell and back by Bronzor though.

Needs Hippopotas support, but that's cool, since Hippo is pretty good at laying down Stealth Rock and Roaring random stuff away. Most people on #littlecup seemed to think Drilbur sucks, but nah, they just suck at using it. =P
While I like the fact that it's not weak to any priority (save Aqua Jet), I just find Drilbur is so frail it can be hard to set it up, and it lacks the power to really sweep whatsoever, especially when Vulpix is so much better in LC than Ninetales is in OU and sun is so much better. Also, Gligar OWNS you, and you can't afford to predict when you''re using an unSTAB, unboosted, 70 BP, likely NEUTRAL move against your opponent, especially on such a frail poke.

Hidden Power Ice does a shit load of damage to Gligar, I would be using something like Return / Rock Slide to predict a switch, then after that damage is taken nail Gligar with a HP Ice for the kill. Drilbur isn't a one stop sweep shop, but if it comes out late game and your Counter/Gligar has taken even the smallest amount of damage, you're in deep shit.

Bonsly@eviolite
Ability:Rock head
Adamant
236 ATK/212 HP,36 DEF
-Stealth rock
-Stone edge
-double edge
-Sucker Punch

I use the little tree stump all the time with his great attack and defence stat He has never been 1HKO'd by any physical attack with this ev spread.his stone edge does great on bulky flying, fire and bug 'mons (vullaby,murkrow,vulpix,shelmet and dwebble). double edge because of its sheer damage and his ability stops any recoil.and sucker punch so he can actually hit first for once

I'm gonna point out that Mudkip's completely underrated.
Even though that's a really bad post, it's pretty true. I ran a Countercoat set a while ago that did REALLY well. It might not work as well not as everything sets up now, but it's definitely what is called an underrated Little Cup Pokemon. And no, Squirtle doesn't do it better, Mudkip has worse defenses. The lack of Stealth Rock helps the cause of Focus Sash too.

Machop needs some love...

Sorry; couldn't resist. :p

But yeah, it does sadden me that Machop's popularity has gone down as much as it has, no thanks to Timburr, Scraggy and apparently Meditite outclassing it. Unless I'm mistaken, all it has now is DynamicPunch and No Guard.

I would use Scarf Machop if:

A) Slowpoke wasn't everywhere.
B) Misdreavus wasn't everywhere.
C) Eviolite......

SubChop is still a cool poke. Missy doesn't like 100 bp Payback, Slowpoke gets dpunch'd without Own Tempo, which nobody runs, and Eviolite...can go jump in a lake. Hax helps it kill things before it becomes dead.

But yeah, it does sadden me that Machop's popularity has gone down as much as it has, no thanks to Timburr, Scraggy and apparently Meditite outclassing it. Unless I'm mistaken, all it has now is DynamicPunch and No Guard.
Encore!!!

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
He said SubChop. Who can also make itself slower than Bold Slowpoke iirc, meaning even that won't like 100 BP Paybacks.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Troll Ekans

Ekans @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate
Timid
236 HP/240 Spe
- Switcheroo
- Glare
- Swagger
- Giga Drain

I don't know how effective Parafusion is in Little Cup, but from what I was able to find, Ekans is one of the best at it. This spread ,along with Timid Nature, gives Ekans a speed of 16. With the bonus of Scarf, it should outspeed most non-scarfed targets, which is important for Switcheroo. The rest is put into HP for the extra bulk, giving it 23 HP. It's not a lot, but it's enough to prevent Ekans from getting roflstomped by everyone. Another note worthy aspect of Ekans is that it can suck up Toxic Spikes. While not the most useful thing, it is really good. It's typing, Poison, is also good for it's prey, Physical Fighting-types.

Ekans can cripple most with it's scarf. Intimidate on a set up physical sweeper *coughddscraggycough* will force one of the following situations:
A. It switches for another pokemon. Whatever is switched in will get the scarf, which means the only thing that is completely safe is a Scarf Sweeper. Walls and other set up sweepers are crippled if they get scarfed.
B. It tries to DD/Sword Dance/ect to counter the loss from Intimidate. This means it'll get Switcheroo'd into Scarf, crippling it. This is especially true if Ekans outspeeds it, which it most likely will.
C. It'll try to kill Ekans, but Ekans will outspeed it. Ekans will most likely die, seeing as it is frail as hell, but the set up sweeper will get scarf'd regardless, so it would still cripple it.
D. It'll try to kill Ekans, and outspeeds it. This is rare, and should really only happen if you don't know if the opponent is Scarf'd or not.

So what does Ekans do after it gives up it's scarf? Well, you're opponent is most likely going to switch into something else, so Glare is the next move to use. Now, you can either use Glare again if you predict a switch, or use Swagger if you know you're opponent is staying. Afterwards, you can use either Glare or Giga Drain depending on what your opponent will do.

Giga Drain is there as a healing move, and to stop him from being Taunt bait. However, his low 10 SpA might make you want to switch if it gets taunted. Acid Spray can be used because of it's -2 SpD, which may or may not force another switch-in. Switcheroo use is obvious. Glare is nice, because it is not affected by type immunity, meaning it will hit Ghost-types. Swagger is actually great. It gives a +2 Atk boost, which might sound terrible at first. However, how Confusion Damage works is that damage is based on a typeless 40 BP attack calculated with the user's Atk and Def. Depending on how high the targets Atk is, the +2 can cause some serious damage to sweepers.

This sets main enemy would be anything that has a Scarf, which, thanks to Scraggy, is most flying-types or anything with a powerful flying-type attack, since it can't Switcheroo it correctly, or not even at all, seeing as anything Scarf'd can most likely outspeed Ekans. And if you switch, you give the opponent a free switch and, in most cases, the momentum. It's also very luck based, however, if you get a good set-up, your opponent should only his around 25% of the time. Also, any miss predictions on Troll Ekans are lethal. You have to be near perfect with all your predictions or else Troll Ekanses fun will end. Taunt stops Troll Ekans cold in it's tracks, especially after Switcheroo. Despite Glare hitting Ghost, they are not hit by Swagger, so they can be troublesome for Troll Ekans.

Another Choice Item can be used, if Scarf'd pokemon are a problem for your team. He still has a decent speed of 16. Alternatively, you can completely ditch Trollkens and go for a Coilkens, which allows it to achieve a pretty accurate STAB Gunk Shot, which has a 120 base Atk due to it's access to Coil, which increases Accuracy, Attack, and Defense by 1 stage. It also has access to Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Payback, EQ, Rock Slide, and Aqua Tail. The only problem is it's terrible coverage.

Double post, but that's okay because this forum is pretty dead.

Now...

FUCK YOU LUMIN/UNIVERSAL BERRY

YOUR STUPID PIPLUP ASDFIHASL

Piplup @ Eviolite
Torrent
Timid
12 HP / 12 Def / 192 SpA / 236 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Stealth Rpck
-Hidden Power Grass
-Icy Wind / Ice Beam

This thing is a bulky SRer like Omanyte who can hit hard with STAB Hydro Pump like Omanyte but can't set up Spikes like Omanyte (or shell break, but that's something else). What it can do is use the fact that practically nothing outside of STAB Thunderbolt can OHKO it, and blast off some Torrent-boosted 180 BP moves with fantastic neutral coverage, which generally means you have a free kill. Faster mons who think they can dick around with Piplup get Icy Winded, which is a stupidly good move, at worst forcing a switch, at best netting a surprise kill. HP Grass is for Omanyte and Chinchou. Speaking of Omanyte again, another thing is that Piplup isn't cursed with horrible Water/Rock typing, and thus has none of that extremely painful Fighting weakness, as well as a Steel neutrality (not terribly useful), a Water neutrality (very useful), no Ground weakness (very useful), and isn't instantly destroyed by random HP Grasses, at the cost of resistances to Poison (lol), Normal (who runs mono-normal), and Flying (the only big one).

So underrated, so ANNOYING, this thing deserves more love.

Sorry if I'm rambling it's 3:00.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)