Bisharp (Analysis)

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approved: 2/2
GP Approved: 2/2

[Overview]
<p>Bisharp's great offensive STAB attacks and priority in the form of Sucker Punch makes it a potent threat to most teams in VGC 2011. However, its typing is a double-edged sword. While it gives Bisharp resistances to many common attacking types, Bisharp is also weak to extremely common attacks such as Heat Wave, Mach Punch, and Earthquake. Overall, Bisharp is a dangerous offensive threat which every team should be capable of dealing with.</p>

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Brick Break / Night Slash
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash
nature: Adamant
ability: Defiant / Inner Focus
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Bisharp can be a valuable asset to many teams. Its STAB Sucker Punch does massive damage to the common frail Tailwind attackers, as well as Ghost-type Pokemon such as Chandelure. Iron Head and Brick Break round out coverage, while Protect stops Fake Out and Mach Punch. Night Slash is a great move on Bisharp, hitting nearly every Trick Room Pokemon for super effective damage, while being able to damage Pokemon who are using support moves, unlike Sucker Punch. Either ability is viable. Defiant raises Bisharp's Attack when facing Stoutland or Krookodile, as well as preventing strategies such as Tickle or Charm from working. Inner Focus does have its uses, however, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>A Focus Sash is a great item for Bisharp. It stops Bisharp from being OHKOed by Chandelure's or Volcarona's Heat Wave, Landorus's Earthquake, or Conkeldurr's STAB move of choice. Iron Head will always OHKO Terrakion after Close Combat's Defense drop. If Terrakion does not use Close Combat, Iron Head followed by Sucker Punch will grab the KO.</p>

<p>Mandibuzz and Amoonguss, the premier walls in VGC 2011, can easily take on Bisharp's STAB attacks. Therefore, a strong special attacker makes an excellent partner. Thundurus is one of the best partners for Bisharp, stopping Amoonguss with Taunt and disposing of Mandibuzz with Thunderbolt. Volcarona does a similar job, but unlike Thundurus, it isn't immune to the Earthquake that Bisharp inevitably attracts.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Swords Dance can work well with a Focus Sash and Sucker Punch, and can be especially effective when partnered with a Rage Powder user such as Amoonguss. Low Sweep can really help against Hydreigon and Krookodile, 2HKOing with the Speed drop. If another Pokemon on your team is already holding a Focus Sash, a type-resist berry can also work. Occa Berry or Shuca Berry are the best options, allowing Bisharp to survive a super effective Heat Wave or Earthquake, because even a Chople Berry can't always keep Bisharp alive after Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Hammer Arm. Substitute can work instead of Protect, as it eases prediction for Sucker Punch and gains a large advantage against Trick Room teams.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Conkeldurr can make short work of Bisharp, 2HKOing it with Mach Punch. Mispredicting is Bisharp's downfall, as deciding whether to use Sucker Punch or another attack can decide the outcome of a game. Bisharp can't do much to Amoonguss, who can easily Spore in return.</p>

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
standard being sucker punch/iron head/brick break/protect

make sure you slash in night slash over brick break for reliable dark stab on mons that might try to avoid a sucker punch via sub/will-o-wisp etc.

I've also seen sub variants of bisharp over protect. really annoying.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good to go. I can't think of much else worth adding other than maybe Swords Dance in other options.

QC Approved 1/2

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yeah subtitute is worth a mention. everything else is good to go

QC Approved: 2/2

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally I think Low Sweep is the better option than Brick Break because the speed drop is more helpful than the slight power loss. Plus with two Bisharp, the one with Low Sweep is going to win if both have a Focus Sash.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Personally I think Low Sweep is the better option than Brick Break because the speed drop is more helpful than the slight power loss. Plus with two Bisharp, the one with Low Sweep is going to win if both have a Focus Sash.
im not sure about this. it does help against hydreigon, but brick break has more base power and can break reflect and light screen. :x idunno

JRank

Jonny
im not sure about this. it does help against hydreigon, but brick break has more base power and can break reflect and light screen. :x idunno
I think Brick Break>Low Sweep, because Bisharp seems like it could be used in Trick Room (idk, I've never used it, and 70 Base Speed is ok for TR), but if you're out of Trick Room, I think it becomes a question of do you want KOes or support. Brick Break should probably be prioritized, though, because Bisharp's goal isn't really to support. (I don't think)

Just my 2 cents.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
Actually, Low Sweep doesn't guarantee a KO on 252 HP Bisharp so I guess Low Sweep shouldn't be prioritized over Brick Break but I think its good in OO.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Actually, Low Sweep doesn't guarantee a KO on 252 HP Bisharp so I guess Low Sweep shouldn't be prioritized over Brick Break but I think its good in OO.
i might test it, but really the only thing its useful for is krookodile and hydreigon.
and iirc, hydreigon dies from brick break + sucker punch, while krookodile 2hkos with EQ.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
Well the BB + SP on Hydreigon is only if both roll max damage in which case you're more likely to get a critical hit than that happening. Krookodile, if intimadate activates Defiant, you 2HKO even if they have Chople berry. However, I typically run enough speed evs so I can outspeed Adamant Krookodile after the speed drop. I just think it deserves at least a mention in Other Options because of this and since your not really missing any important 2HKOs without Brick Break.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Well the BB + SP on Hydreigon is only if both roll max damage in which case you're more likely to get a critical hit than that happening. Krookodile, if intimadate activates Defiant, you 2HKO even if they have Chople berry. However, I typically run enough speed evs so I can outspeed Adamant Krookodile after the speed drop. I just think it deserves at least a mention in Other Options because of this and since your not really missing any important 2HKOs without Brick Break.
im convinced, mentioned in oo :D

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
remove
add
comments

[Overview]
<p>Great Bisharp's great offensive STAB attacks and priority in the form of Sucker Punch makes Bisharp a it a potent threat to most teams in VGC 2011. However, its typing is a double-edged sword. While it gives it resistances to many common attacking types, Bisharp is also weak to extremely common attacks such as Heat Wave, Mach Punch, and Earthquake.</p>

[Set]
Name: Standard
Move 1: Sucker Punch
Move 2: Iron Head
Move 3: Brick Break / Night Slash
Move 4: Protect
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Defiant / Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Bisharp is can be a valuable asset to most many teams. Its STAB Sucker Punch does massive damage to the common frail Tailwind attackers Maybe add something about taking out Ghost-types like Chandelure?. Iron Head and Brick Break round out coverage, with while Protect to stops Fake Out and Mach Punch. Night Slash is a great move on Bisharp. It hits, hitting nearly every Trick Room Pokemon for super effective damage, while Sucker Punch will not work against Pokemon using Trick Room or Will-O-Wispdamaging Pokemon using support moves, unlike Sucker Punch. Defiant is the better of the two abilities, raising Bisharp's Attack when facing Stoutland or Krookodile, as well as preventing strategies such as Tickle or Charm from working. Inner Focus does have its uses, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>A Focus Sash is a great item for Bisharp. It stops Bisharp from being OHKOed by Chandelure's or Volcarona's Heat Wave, Landorus's Earthquake, or Conkeldurr's STAB move of choice. Iron Head will always OHKO Terrakion after Close Combat's Defense drop. If Terrakion does not use Close Combat, Iron Head followed by Sucker Punch will grab the KO.</p>

<p>Mandibuzz and Amoonguss, the premier walls in VGC 2011, easily take on Bisharp's STAB attacks. Therefore, a strong special- attacking partner should be used attacker makes an excellent partner. Thundurus is one of the best partners for Bisharp, stopping Amoonguss with Taunt and disposing of Mandibuzz with Thunderbolt. Volcarona does a similar job, but unlike Thundurus, it does nothing for Bisharp's weakness to Earthquake.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Swords Dance can work well with a Focus Sash and Sucker Punch. This works well, and can be especially effective with a Rage Powder user such as Amoonguss. Low Sweep can really help out against Hydreigon and Krookodile, 2HKOing with the Speed drop. If another Pokemon on your team is already holding a Focus Sash, a type-resist berry can also work. Occa Berry or Shuca Berry are the best options. Even, allowing Bisharp to survive a super effective Heat Wave or Earthquake, because even a Chople berry can't always keep Bisharp alive after Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Hammer Arm. Substitute can work instead of Protect. I, as it eases prediction for Sucker Punch and gains a large advantage against Trick Room teams.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Conkeldurr can make short work of Bisharp, 2HKOing it with Mach Punch. Mispredicting is Bisharp's downfall. D, as deciding whether to use Sucker Punch or use another attack can decide the outcome of a game. Bisharp can't do much to Amoonguss, who which can easily use Spore in return.</p>
Not a member of the GP team, but I thought this would help.

Working on top of cosmicexplorer's proofread:

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]
<p>Great Bisharp's great offensive STAB attacks and priority in the form of Sucker Punch makes Bisharp a it a potent threat to most teams in VGC 2011. However, its typing is a double-edged sword. While it gives Bisharp resistances to many common attacking types, Bisharp is also weak to extremely common attacks such as Heat Wave, Mach Punch, and Earthquake. Overall, Bisharp is a potent offensive threat which every team should be capable of dealing with.</p> (Without a conclusion, the Overview looks like it is missing something. You need to conclude it)

[Set]
Name: Standard
Move 1: Sucker Punch
Move 2: Iron Head
Move 3: Brick Break / Night Slash
Move 4: Protect
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Defiant / Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Bisharp is can be a valuable asset to most many teams. Its STAB Sucker Punch does massive damage to the common frail Tailwind attackers Maybe add something about taking out Ghost-types like Chandelure?. Iron Head and Brick Break round out coverage, with while Protect to stops Fake Out and Mach Punch. Night Slash is a great move on Bisharp. It hits, hitting nearly every Trick Room Pokemon for super effective damage, while Sucker Punch will not work against Pokemon using Trick Room or Will-O-Wispdamaging Pokemon using support moves, unlike Sucker Punch. Defiant is the better of the two abilities, raising Bisharp's Attack when facing Stoutland or Krookodile, as well as preventing strategies such as Tickle or Charm from working. Inner Focus does have its uses, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Mandibuzz and Amoonguss, the premier walls in VGC 2011, easily take on Bisharp's STAB attacks. Therefore, a strong special-attacking partner should be used attacker makes an excellent partner. Thundurus is one of the best partners for Bisharp, stopping Amoonguss with Taunt and disposing of Mandibuzz with Thunderbolt. Volcarona does a similar job, but unlike Thundurus, it does nothing for Bisharp's weakness to Earthquake.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Swords Dance can work well with a Focus Sash and Sucker Punch. This works well, and can be especially effective with a Rage Powder user such as Amoonguss. Low Sweep can really help out against Hydreigon and Krookodile, 2HKOing with the Speed drop. If another Pokemon on your team is already holding a Focus Sash, a type-resist berry can also work. Occa Berry or Shuca Berry are the best options. Even, allowing Bisharp to survive a super effective Heat Wave or Earthquake, because even a Chople Berry can't always keep Bisharp alive after Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Hammer Arm. Substitute can work instead of Protect. I, as it eases prediction for Sucker Punch and gains a large advantage against Trick Room teams.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Conkeldurr can make short work of Bisharp, 2HKOing it with Mach Punch. Mispredicting is Bisharp's downfall. D, as deciding whether to use Sucker Punch or use another attack can decide the outcome of a game. Bisharp can't do much to Amoonguss, who which can easily use Spore in return.</p>

GP 1 / 2

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unofficial GP check incoming!!!

Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]
<p>Great offensive STAB attacks and priority in the form of Sucker Punch makes Bisharp a threat to most teams in VGC 2011. However, its typing is a double-edged sword. Bisharp is weak to extremely common attacks such as Heat Wave, Mach Punch, and Earthquake.</p>

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Brick Break / Night Slash
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash
nature: Adamant
ability: Defiant / Inner Focus
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Bisharp is a valuable asset to most teams. STAB Sucker Punch does massive damage to the common frail Tailwind attackers. Iron Head and Brick Break round out the coverage, with Protect to stop Fake Out and Mach Punch users. Night Slash is a great move on Bisharp. It hits nearly every Trick Room Pokemon for super effective damage, while Sucker Punch will not work against Pokemon using Trick Room or Will-O-Wisp. Either ability is viable. Defiant raises Bisharp's Attack when facing Stoutland or Krookodile, as well as preventing strategies such as Tickle or Charm from working. Inner Focus does have its uses, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p> A Focus Sash is a great item for Bisharp. It stops Bisharp from being OHKOd by Chandelure's or Volcarona's Heat Wave, Landorus's Earthquake, or Conkeldurr's STAB move of choice. Iron Head will always OHKO Terrakion after Close Combat's Defense drop. If Terrakion does not use Close Combat, Iron Head followed by Sucker Punch will grab the KO.</p>

<p>Mandibuzz and Amoonguss, the premier walls in VGC 2011, easily take on Bisharp's STAB attacks. Therefore, a strong special-attacking partner should be used. Thundurus is one of the best partners for Bisharp, stopping Amoonguss with Taunt and disposing of Mandibuzz with Thunderbolt. Volcarona does a similar job, but unlike Thundurus, it does nothing for Bisharp's weakness to Earthquake.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Swords Dance can work well with a Focus Sash and Sucker Punch. This works well with a Rage Powder user such as Amoonguss. Low Sweep can really help out against Hydreigon and Krookodile, 2HKOing with the Speed drop. If another Pokemon on your team is already holding a Focus Sash, a type-resist berry can also work. Occa Berry or Shuca Berry are the best options. Even a Chople berry can't always keep Bisharp alive after Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Hammer Arm. Substitute can work instead of Protect. It eases prediction for Sucker Punch and gains a large advantage against Trick Room teams.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Conkeldurr can make short work of Bisharp, 2HKOing with Mach Punch. Mispredicting is Bisharp's downfall. Deciding whether to Sucker Punch or use another attack can decide the outcome of a game. Also, Bisharp can't do much to Amoonguss, who can easily Spore in return.</p>

Great grammar, thanks to yourself and Calm Pokemaster.

Well done!
(Hopefully this gets a stamp...)

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
@ ce and c_p changes made, but
Inner Focus does have its uses, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.
i would like to keep this sentence, i just need to know if it's grammatically correct :3

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
<cosmicexplorer> "Inner Focus does have its uses, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out."
<cosmicexplorer> can that be improved?
<Rising_Dusk> Grammatically, it's fine.
<Rising_Dusk> And content-wise, it's spot-on.

You're fine.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
remove
add

[Set Comments]
<p>Bisharp can be a valuable asset to many teams. Its STAB Sucker Punch does massive damage to the common frail Tailwind attackers, as well as and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Chandelure. Iron Head and Brick Break round out coverage, while Protect stops Fake Out and Mach Punch. Night Slash is a great move on Bisharp, hitting nearly every Trick Room Pokemon for super effective damage, while damaging being able to damage Pokemon who are using support moves, unlike Sucker Punch. Either ability is viable. Defiant raises Bisharp's Attack when facing Stoutland or Krookodile, as well as preventing strategies such as Tickle or Charm from working. Inner Focus does have its uses, however, especially if the opponent mispredicts Bisharp's ability and tries to use Fake Out.</p>

<p>Mandibuzz and Amoonguss, the premier walls in VGC 2011, can easily take on Bisharp's STAB attacks. Therefore, a strong special attacker makes an excellent partner. Thundurus is one of the best partners for Bisharp, stopping Amoonguss with Taunt and disposing of Mandibuzz with Thunderbolt. Volcarona does a similar job, but unlike Thundurus, it does nothing for Bisharp's weakness to Earthquake isn't immune to the Earthquake that Bisharp inevitably attracts.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Swords Dance can work well with a Focus Sash and Sucker Punch, and can be especially effective when partnered with a Rage Powder user such as Amoonguss. Low Sweep can really help against Hydreigon and Krookodile, 2HKOing with the Speed drop. If another Pokemon on your team is already holding a Focus Sash, a type-resist berry can also work. Occa Berry or Shuca Berry are the best options, allowing Bisharp to survive a super effective Heat Wave or Earthquake, because even a Chople Berry can't always keep Bisharp alive after Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Hammer Arm. Substitute can work instead of Protect, as it eases prediction for Sucker Punch and gains a large advantage against Trick Room teams.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Conkeldurr can make short work of Bisharp, 2HKOing it with Mach Punch. Mispredicting is Bisharp's downfall, as deciding whether to use Sucker Punch or use another attack can decide the outcome of a game. Bisharp can't do much to Amoonguss, which who can easily use Spore in return.</p>

bad luck with your analyses!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)