Dual Screens Double Dragon Hyper Offense!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dual Screens Double Dragon Hyper Offense!

There's nothing fancy about this RMT besides the title. I'm sorry to disappoint you. Now, here's a brief history behind the formation of this team.

I was watching a battle where one of the competitors was using a Dual Screens Hyper Offense team. It was a light that shone into the team building rut I was stuck in. Needless to say, I quickly opened the team builder and assembled this team. My thoughts during the build can be seen below. Needless to say, it's brought me up the ladder at such a rapid pace that it's astounded me. However, I've given up on laddering for suspect rights on Smogon's Pokemon Online server because I usually get haxed in a critical battle, causing me to lose many of my hard-earned ladder points.

Dual Screens was my base for this team. The person I watched battle used Uxie, so I thought of that as an option for its bulk and ability to set Stealth Rock, lay Dual Screens, and Memento its opponent. I also thought of Latios for its ability to do what Uxie does better sans the ability to set Stealth Rock. I also considered Deoxys-S for its blazing Speed and access to Magic Coat, rendering opposing Thundurus leads unable to stop Deoxys-S's goal of laying Dual Screens. I decided to settle it later on.

, or

I looked at a list of threats that populated OU and the one that struck me the most was Terrakion. With the ability to slaughter stall or offense with its Dual Boosting set, it captured my gaze and adoration to this very day. Even now, I'm hailing Dual Boosting Terrakion as a nearly perfect lategame sweeper. When coupled with Dual Screens, it usually can obtain both boosts instead of only one.

, or
|

Now I'm sitting on my chair thinking about what makes Terrakion a sad Pokemon. I realized priority, paralysis, and faster opponents were the primary threats that needed to be watched for and eliminated in order to ensure a Terrakion sweep. I also wanted to take out opposing walls. I ended up choosing Scizor and Garchomp to deal with the threats previously stated.

, or
|
|
|

I'm saying to myself that my team looks good, but it still needs two more Pokemon. I decided to add two very physically powerful Pokemon often held back because of their decidedly average defenses: Salamence and Haxorus.

, or
|
|
|
|
|

After the 5 sweepers were finalized, I had to choose a Dual Screener. I ended up choosing Deoxys-S for its ability to stop many common leads with Magic Coat and its consistency in doing its job.

|
|
|
|
|

After reading Smith's post on this thread, I decided to take a Rotom-W running the set he recommended over Salamence, seeing that it was the most vulnerable point of the team. It's astounded me.

|
|
|
|
|

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock

Haxorus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split

Garchomp (F) @ Haban Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

#4 with 1339 ladder points on Wifi Ladder on Treehouse 3-12-11 under the alt Random Old Person (currently #7)

The team in detail:

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
~ Light Screen
~ Reflect
~ Magic Coat
~ Stealth Rock

Despite the advent of the Wifi Clause eliminating the concept of a formal "lead", Deoxys-S is an excellent Pokemon to start the battle with. I usually leave it in the lead position because of its ability to simply deal with almost everything that might be encountered. It gets Dual Screens and Stealth Rock crucial to the team's overall success down in a reliable manner. In most cases, after Deoxys-S gets Screens and Stealth Rock up, it's KOed by my opponent's first Pokemon. It deals with opposing Taunt and set up leads by using Magic Coat and attacking leads by setting the appropriate screen up. TrickScarf Jirachi is anathema to Deoxys-S due to the lack of Taunt. Holding Light Clay increases the duration of time the screens are in play by three turns. Usually, my Pokemon will only need one turn to set up and bring terror to my opponent's team, so the extra turns are appreciated.

Am I considering any changes to this Pokemon?

• Taunt over Magic Coat, if only to stop TrickScarf Jirachi. Some help here is appreciated.

Synergy:

Synergy for Deoxys-S is irrelevant because Deoxys-S only lives through the beginning of the battle to set screens and Stealth Rock up.

Haxorus (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Taunt

Haxorus serves as this team's first dragon and early-game wall-breaker. I usually send it in the turn after Deoxys-S gets KOed. I'll obtain one Dragon Dance as they switch out and usually another as they try to hit Haxorus in an attempt to KO it. With Life Orb, an Adamant Nature, max EVs in Speed and Attack, and a +2 boost in Attack acquired, Haxorus can 2HKO EVERY Pokemon common in the metagame, resistances or not, with Outrage. Not even Unaware Quagsire can stand up to it because of Mold Breaker. Its bulk after the Screens are in place is impressive. Dragon Dance is the obvious set-up move. Outrage is the obligatory spam move and is used the most out of all of the moves. Earthquake hits most of what Outrage doesn't super-effectively thanks to Mold Breaker. Brick Break is pure filler. I've only used it once. Taunt has been placed over Brick Break and it's worked wonders.

• Taunt over Brick Break, mostly to stop pHazing and setting up. Implemented.
  • Lum Berry over Life Orb, to help with confusion and random status at the cost of a presumably slight loss of power.
  • Jolly over Adamant to outspeed even more Pokemon, at the cost of raw power. This is a backseat thought and will not be touched upon for quite a while.

Synergy:

: Scizor

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
~ Swords Dance
~ Bug Bite
~ Bullet Punch
~ Brick Break

Scizor is my priority abuser and other choice for early-game wall-breaker. Unlike Haxorus and the other dragons, Scizor was chosen for its resists and defenses, letting it set up on Ferrothorn and Reuniclus reliably, something the dragons can't boast. The EVs maximize the offensive potential of Scizor by maxing its Attack and Speed stats. The remaining 4 EVs were tossed into HP. Swords Dance drives Scizor's Attack stat through the roof, letting it break through many Pokemon that try to stop it. Bug Bite is obligatory STAB and the tool in which the downfall of Reuniclus and Ferrothorn, two of the biggest threats in the metagame, is done. Bullet Punch is the primary STAB option because it bypasses any speed boosts my opponent might have accumulated. Brick Break actually helps here when Scizor is faced against Skarmory, unlike when Brick Break is on Haxorus.

• Roost over Brick Break for extra longevity, but it plays against Scizor's role as a wall-breaker
  • Lum Berry for random status moves at the cost of some power
  • A more defensive spread, 252 HP | 40 Atk | 216 SDef to be specific, to take Special hits better.
  • Superpower for more power.

Synergy:

: Haxorus, Rotom-W, Garchomp, Terrakion

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
~ Hydro Pump
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Pain Split

Smith said that Rotom-W would be a nice fit in this team. It is. It's served me wonderfully and its bulk with Screens is impressive. Rotom-W has given me a safer, better Excadrill switch-in, given its immunity to Earthquake. Under screens, Excadrill can only do a measly 23% to Rotom-W with X-Scissor. The EVs are the generic max *attacking stat*, max Speed with the last 4 EVs placed into HP. Life Orb lets Rotom-W hit (and KO) what would normally stop my team's rampage. Starmie decided to rain on Haxorus's parade? No problem. Jellicent giving my team the blues by denying them its share of Pringles? A simple Volt Switch takes care of that. Hydro Pump is the godsend that has solidified its position on my team. Volt Switch gives my dragons and Terrakion the extra turn they need to wreak havoc by bringing them into a favorable match-up. Hidden Power Fire ruins Ferrothorn's, Scizor's, and Forretress' day by OHKOing them. Pain Split lets me leech HP from massive, foreboding walls such as Blissey and her sister.

• Trick and a Choice Scarf.

Synergy:

: Haxorus, Scizor

Garchomp (F) @ Haban Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

Garchomp is the late-game dragon. Its goal is to destroy my opponent's team, and it usually does so by abusing the screens (if they last this long) and its good defenses for a sweeper. It comes into play when Haxorus and the other early-game hard-hitting Pokemon are KOed. The EVs max its offensive capacity while the remaining 4 EVs go into HP to augment Garchomp's overall defenses. The Haban Berry lets it live through a Latios' Dragon Pulse and OHKO it with Outrage. Haban Berry tends to catch many players by surprise, expecting an easy revenge kill on Garchomp. Swords Dance is Garchomp's best boosting move. Outrage is obligatory STAB on Garchomp, and can OHKO many opponents with the support of Stealth Rock. Earthquake is Garchomp's other STAB move and Fire Fang lets Garchomp break Scizor and Excadrill holding an Air Balloon.

• Substitute over Fire Fang, to abuse the Sand flying around by abusing Sand Veil
  • Dragon Claw if Substitute is used
  • :happybrain::happybrain::happybrain::happybrain:
  • Hone Claws over Swords Dance coupled with Dragon Rush

Synergy:

: Scizor, Rotom-W

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
~ Rock Polish
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

Terrakion is my absolute favorite Pokemon to sweep with in the endgame. It's saved me from loss so many times it's not even funny. The Air Balloon gives it a temporary immunity to its most common weakness, Ground. Adamant was selected as the nature of choice because Terrakion is boosting its Speed stat by itself. The EV spread used maxes Terrakion's offensive potential with the last 4 EVs being tossed into Special Defense as filler. Rock Polish and Swords Dance gives me the ability to pick the poison that will most likely destroy my opponent's team as it stands. With the screens in place, Terrakion can obtain both boosts, and if it does and my opponent lacks priority, then it's good game from there on out. Stone Edge and Close Combat are its obligatory STAB attacks that deal a large amount of damage to nearly every one of its opponents, with the only semi-common Pokemon resisting the combination being Gallade, who is usually gone by the time Terrakion takes the field.

• None.

Synergy:

: Haxorus, Rotom-W
: Scizor, Haxorus
: not needed
: Scizor, Garchomp
: Rotom-W, usually not a problem until the Air Balloon has been popped

One last glance at the team:

I hope you enjoyed reading this. Former members of the team can be seen below.

Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk | 24 SAtk | 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast

Salamence serves as this team's second dragon and mid-game attacker, softening the opponent's team up just a little more, and more often than not sweeping them down to the ground. It comes to battle usually when one of the attackers before it falls to its opponent. Salamence occupies a good speed tier and is very deadly after one Dragon Dance. The given EVs let Salamence OHKO Ferrothorn and activate Sturdy on Forretress and Skarmory if Stealth Rock isn't up with Fire Blast. Dragon Dance is Salamence's means of strengthening itself. Outrage is the strongest physical Dragon type move available at this moment for Salamence. Earthquake lets Salamence hit many of the Steels blocking her path to victory. Fire Blast is crucial because it lets Salamence hit many common Pokemon holding the Air Balloon.

• Lum Berry for obvious reasons
  • Yache Berry to take an Ice-type attack and the retaliate
  • Flamethrower for more consistency at the cost of a slight amount of power

Synergy:

: Scizor, Garchomp, Terrakion

You're counting on Scizor to take all hits, and its not even bulky. It will live through one Draco Meteor, then the opposite dragon will switch and next it comes in Scizor will die, leaving your team weak to Ice and Dragon attacks, as Terakion isn't resistant to ice.

The whole point will be to Outrage the dragon counters by sacrificing 2 dragons so then the 3rd dragon will have no counters and can proceed to sweep thats how Hyper Offense is.. hardly any switching just denting pokemon left and right

Just a though about screens: Metagross is bulky and can set them up with SR as well. Rotom W is also a good screens user although meta is a better lead with acess to EQ Bullet Punch and Meteor mash as attacking options. Give it EQ and jirachi will have made a big mistake tricking it :P Id also go with more Special attack on Salamence and give it flamethrower and moxie and dragon claw over outrage. While i see intididate is a good way to get him in and annoy an opponent moxie means that without ice shard and with good spec attack investment, one dragon dance is regularly game over.

Maybe that doesnt quite fit your team dynamic im not sure.

If you have genuinely never used brick break then why not add Dual chop in case you ever need to break a sub, or maybe taunt if you want to stop ferrothorn trying to use Thunder wave,leech seed?

Cloyster if setup will annihilate your team it's ice shard and physically bulky-ness would tank a few of your hits even if screens were up it can OHKO your Chomp and Salamence but generally a good player won't take it out early so you have to struggle to keep scizor alive until he goes for the cloyster sweep.
In all you have 4 Pokemon weak to Cloysters stab attacks including 2 quad weak.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Wario, its a great team you have here and congrats on its success on the ladder.

I actualy played this team earlier today (don't think it was you though) and It worked well putting me under early pressure. However Jellicent caused you a bit or trouble as I was able to switch in on Deoxys S and spam Will-o-wisp or Scald while your screens slowly faded. This pust you in a bit of a bind. On the one hand you need your sweepers weakening each others counters (which is why you are running Triple Dragon) however, your screens are on a timer and without them your team can easily be picked apart. During the match I played, I think in the end Jellicent was able to Burn both Scizor and Haxorus (since I survived the Outrage and nailed a Will-o-wisp) and was able to stall out the last few turns to clean up with Thundurus which OHKOed everything you had left.

Looking over your team again Skarmory kinda gives you problems as well. It causes Haxorus and Scizor problems (as well as that damn Sturdy) and can spike up and get its phasing game going which both weakens your team and wastes your screen countdown.

As far as solutions to this problem I think that Taunt on both Deoxys S (over Magic Coat) and Haxorus (over Brick Break) limits the opportunity Jellicent (and I guess Rotom W) have to burn you putting yourself at an advantage again. I'd also consider dropping one of your dragons for a different sweeper (maybe Shell Smash Cloyster?). I am aware that you like the "overload on counters" thing but in all seriousness you really only need 2 Dragons working together, having three really opens you up late game once your screens are down.

Good luck with the team!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes.

You're counting on Scizor to take all hits, and its not even bulky. It will live through one Draco Meteor, then the opposite dragon will switch and next it comes in Scizor will die, leaving your team weak to Ice and Dragon attacks, as Terakion isn't resistant to ice.
Read what FCBarcelona has to say.

The whole point will be to Outrage the dragon counters by sacrificing 2 dragons so then the 3rd dragon will have no counters and can proceed to sweep thats how Hyper Offense is.. hardly any switching just denting pokemon left and right
:happybrain: - Yes!

Just a though about screens: Metagross is bulky and can set them up with SR as well. Rotom W is also a good screens user although meta is a better lead with acess to EQ Bullet Punch and Meteor mash as attacking options. Give it EQ and jirachi will have made a big mistake tricking it :P Id also go with more Special attack on Salamence and give it flamethrower and moxie and dragon claw over outrage. While i see intididate is a good way to get him in and annoy an opponent moxie means that without ice shard and with good spec attack investment, one dragon dance is regularly game over.

Maybe that doesnt quite fit your team dynamic im not sure.

If you have genuinely never used brick break then why not add Dual chop in case you ever need to break a sub, or maybe taunt if you want to stop ferrothorn trying to use Thunder wave,leech seed?
MoxieMence is unreleased. I'll take a look into Metagross. However, it suffers from 4 moveslot syndrome. It wants the Screens, Hammer Arm, Meteor Mash, and Bullet Punch, but it can't have all 5 options. In my opinion, Dual Chop is less effective than Taunt.

Cloyster if setup will annihilate your team it's ice shard and physically bulky-ness would tank a few of your hits even if screens were up it can OHKO your Chomp and Salamence but generally a good player won't take it out early so you have to struggle to keep scizor alive until he goes for the cloyster sweep.
In all you have 4 Pokemon weak to Cloysters stab attacks including 2 quad weak.
By the time Cloyster comes in, one of the dragons, Scizor, or Terrakion will have accumulated enough boosts in Attack to OHKO Cloyster in tandem with Stealth Rock. Thanks for the concern though.

Hi Wario, its a great team you have here and congrats on its success on the ladder.

I actualy played this team earlier today (don't think it was you though) and It worked well putting me under early pressure. However Jellicent caused you a bit or trouble as I was able to switch in on Deoxys S and spam Will-o-wisp or Scald while your screens slowly faded. This pust you in a bit of a bind. On the one hand you need your sweepers weakening each others counters (which is why you are running Triple Dragon) however, your screens are on a timer and without them your team can easily be picked apart. During the match I played, I think in the end Jellicent was able to Burn both Scizor and Haxorus (since I survived the Outrage and nailed a Will-o-wisp) and was able to stall out the last few turns to clean up with Thundurus which OHKOed everything you had left.

Looking over your team again Skarmory kinda gives you problems as well. It causes Haxorus and Scizor problems (as well as that damn Sturdy) and can spike up and get its phasing game going which both weakens your team and wastes your screen countdown.

As far as solutions to this problem I think that Taunt on both Deoxys S (over Magic Coat) and Haxorus (over Brick Break) limits the opportunity Jellicent (and I guess Rotom W) have to burn you putting yourself at an advantage again. I'd also consider dropping one of your dragons for a different sweeper (maybe Shell Smash Cloyster?). I am aware that you like the "overload on counters" thing but in all seriousness you really only need 2 Dragons working together, having three really opens you up late game once your screens are down.

Good luck with the team!
I haven't been on PO today, so you were probably facing someone who decided to take this team out on a spin. I like your thoughts about replacing Brick Break on Haxorus with Taunt. I've listed it out as a change to test. Oh, and would you recommend changing Life Orb for Lum Berry on Haxorus? I'll test out Cloyster soon. Thank you very much for rating this team!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and would you recommend changing Life Orb for Lum Berry on Haxorus?
You could although since Haxorus has Taunt (and the fact that Jelli will only really be wisping on Scizor and maybe Terrakion if you did not already get a SD boost. Personally id consider giving Garchomp it as with Screens you should be able to survive most dragon hits anyway. Also since you are running Double/Triple Dragon its unlikely that any Dragon Types would be dead once Chomp takes the field. Lum also gives you utter Freedom to swithc into Rotom W, Walling its electric STAB and having a 1 time immunity to its Burn maybe gifting you with a free SD if you opponent gambles on a burn. Just a thought

Excellent team! Hyper offense is almost forgotten, as is Double Boosting Terrakion so I happen to like this team. That said ginganinja did a good job of outlining some threats- Jellicent causes you a great deal of trouble with its ability to switch into Scizor and burn everything with Will-o-wisp or Scald. Skarmory can handle its way around the majority of your team, and can wear down Mence switch-ins with Stealth Rock by just simply switching out of it and coming back in later. However, probably the biggest threat is Lo Starmie- once it switches in you honestly have almost 0 way of stopping it. Scizor has no recovery and such very little chance of stopping it, especially with that EV spread. Everything else dies to an Ice Beam or a Hydro Pump almost immediately, and Deoxys has no attacking moves.

As such I think a Rotom-w would do you solid. It's typing is enormously beneficial to this team by proving another ice resist and a bulky water switch in, and it has just the bulk to abuse screens properly. In fact, it can even set up screens itself, but unless you feel like replacing Deoxys I wouldn't recommend it. A simple Life Orb set would probably do wonders for this team. It counters and can do immense damage to anything that could switch in, and get your sweepers the extra turn they need to set up by Volt switching into a favourable match-up. It can generally win against Jellicent and lays a heavy hurt on Skarmory and Starmie. Try the following-

Rotom-w @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP Timid
Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Hidden Power [Fire] | Pain Split

I hope this helps, gl!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
When I listed Terrakion in as a check to Ice, I listed it because it has the bulk to switch into an Ice-type move and force my opponent out. I'll take it out from my synergy check. That being said, I'm replacing Salamence with a Rotom-W running the set Smith recommended. Thanks for the catch.

Edit: Rotom-W has been implemented, and Salamence is out.

If you're not running any attacks on Deoxys, could Whimsicott be considered an alternate? Having Prankster running you some priority could be well worth it.

Does that Rotom-W look like it's jacking it?

Cool team

Hyper offense is "almost forgotten" for good reason. There are too many heavy hitters in OU to rely on type synergy like you could in Gen 4. Once the screens go down, you'll be regularly sacking pokes to things like Latios, Specs+Rain, and Terakion to name a few. I'm not going to check off the whole list, but Borutorosu in particular just mows through your team, with or without a NP. Probably should look into Scarf Rotom or a CB Scizor for that. You may want to balance out the attacking spectrum more because Roob goes on holiday with a bulk up and some LO recoil on Rotom. Stat uppers in general, not just defensive boosters, are very threatening to this team.gl

This is just an idea, and since your team has great synergy im not going to push it too much. However, have you thought about a Magnezone in place of Rotom-W, with Steels Gone (Unless they have Shed Shell) you're Garchomp and Haxorus will go unresisted through other teams, Ferrothorn seems to be able to take on most of your team outside of Rotom and Terrakion who he carries super effective moves for. You could then change Fire Fang to Subsitute on Garchomp so that you have a buffer and can sweep with ease.

I recommend this set however if you decide to test it out, you can use whatever magnezone you prefer, this set can 2hko Ferrothorn in rain if you havent been seeded:

Magnezone
@Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid
Evs: 4 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed

Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power [Fire]
Flash Cannon

Hi, first off very nice team, I've been using Hyper Offense since the beginning of 4th and its just awesome to play.

While I don't have a single gripe with the team and their setups (they're now pretty ideal) I think you're drastically overestimating the screens. In my experience they last until your second pokemon, almost never longer than that. Because of this, I've noticed Terrakion has trouble setting up (when I tested the team this is), I am curious how you deal with this?

My endgame fave is Cloyster, with EVs 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd, Skill Link, Life Orb, Adamant nature and the mvoes Ice Spear, Rock Blast, Hydro Pump and Shall Smash.
It's a bit bulkier than Terrakion, and only has to buff up once (because shell smash is awesome!) and I've found in the very endgame he can sweep whatever they have left quite nicely!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)