Triple Battle Metagame (GBU)

This follows the other metagame threads. So far, I've seen terrakion leads.

EDIT: Solace included this in his post, so as I play more, I will attempt to make this post less shitastic.

I've never played a triple battle before... How similar is it to a double battle? Triple Battles seem far more complicated...

Well imo its fairly similar to doubles. Synergy is a huge concern still, as is strategy and positioning. However the positioning takes a far larger role due to the mechanics, and crazier and many more strats become viable since you can afford more to have one or two mons set up in triples.

In terms of threats - tailwind, TR, justified/anger point, various weathers, and sleep are things you definitelz wanna look at when teambuilding.

Has anyone seen a zapchomp-ish strategy on triple battles? I haven't played one, but I was wondering if something like a zapdos/garchomp (with balloon)/landorus start would be any good...

Granted, I haven't thought about this much. Would the discharge pop the balloon??

Has anyone seen a zapchomp-ish strategy on triple battles? I haven't played one, but I was wondering if something like a zapdos/garchomp (with balloon)/landorus start would be any good...

Granted, I haven't thought about this much. Would the discharge pop the balloon??
I use one with tundurus/waruvail, claydol/ hydregion.

Since this thread is very quiet, I just wanted to ask if anyone's had any sucess with some teams avoiding the mould of tailwind, trick room or justified abuse? In my experience these strategies seem most common on po where I play this meta, having no wifi access.

Personally, I tried to avoid these speed based strats with a bulky but offensively powerful team through use of screens, rain and surf. See the triples rmt in my sig for details, its been doing alright so far in my limited tests, so has anyone perhaps tried the same with discharge or anything similar?

I've seen a team that worked off of Eruption, and it looked pretty viable. It was in the Battle Video Theater thread though, and is almost certainly gone now.

I think that was me who posted the video. I'm using an Eruption Typhlosion and I initially thought Cherrim's ability was to boost special attack and it turned out that I was wrong. So instead of Cherrim I replaced it with heal pulse/helping hand Latios. Latios is so much better because I can use dragon pulse to weaken anyone I want in the field and also heal pulse keeps Typhlosion healthy. Did you guys know helping hand is stackable? 2 helping hands + sunny day + fire gem + STAB eruption = mega damage (1.5^5 x 150 = 1139) [Correct me if I am wrong though.] And since Eruption is a spread attack, the damage is reduced to ~854.

Trick Room is still a pain for my team to deal with so I need to adjust my other team members to handle them.

There was a team that I faced on Wifi twice and I lost twice. This Japanese player had Mental Herb Telepathy Musharna, Own Tempo Smeargle, and Dusknoir. Musharna had helping hand/protect/imprison/trick room. Smeargle had fake out/protect/explosion/??. And Dusknoir had trick room/swagger/???/???.

I couldn't stop his/her trick room on the first turn and Musharna's Imprison prevented me from reversing trick room and using protect. Second turn Musharna used helping hand on Smeargle and Dusknoir used swagger on Smeargle. Then Smearge used explosion to wipe out 3 of my pokemon while Musharna and Dusknoir remained unharm. Next turn he sent out Metagross... and I knew from team preview that he also had a Lickilicky. I should give my team wide guard...

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of wide guard is it possible to negate all damage caused to one pokemon in triples with follow me+ wide guard? I haven't tried this strategy but if one free turn is as useful in triples as it is in doubles can baton pass actually be used successfully in triples?

@the above, yes it is, as long as your Follow Me mon doesn't die before the slowest targeted attack hits.

I did try an Eruption abuse team with a Quiet Heatran, After You Lilligant and Tales as leads, but it got roflstompted by Tailwind and TR, prompting my second team..

But your Typhlosion idea looks hilarious, the cool factor of an attack that powerful is just amazing. Another thing for you to try may be something along the lines of Fake Tears, to help with any 4x resists or whatnot you'd like to OHKO as opposed to merely adding a slight helping hand boost to. Also, unsure if you'd considered it but a strat I used on my gen 4 sun team was Eruption Typh with Icy Wind Shiftry in the sun, protect with Typh to lower everything's speed so he was more likely to not get hit.

That Trick Room team seems like the fabled impossible to stop TR, which battlers have searched for for aeons! Can't help but feel that without a Feint user he's gambling a bit but as it proved against you, Explosion is still very deadly in Triples.

Yes, I tried fake tears before. It worked but too situational sometimes because there were times when the target was on the opposite side of the field so I couldn't use it. Also the popular terrakion is faster than me so I gave my Whimsicott stun spore instead of fake tears.

I just wish the Sky Drop glitch is fixed. I can see the potential of this move ruining trick room. Eg. Aerodactyl uses sky drop first turn on the trick roomer, while the other 2 pokemon setup sunny day and tailwind or whatever. Second turn trick roomer receives damage from sky drop, ruining its sash or whatever. Then powered up eruption in the sun finishes the trick roomer off :)

I also want to experiment with the move Quash with Prankster Murkrow (quash/tailwind/thunderwave/??) but it doesn't learn helping hand like Whimsicott :(

I initially thought Cherrim's ability was to boost special attack and it turned out that I was wrong.
Actually, I got a 153 streak in D/P Doubles Battle Tower with a team of Cherrim, Shiftry, Typhlosion, and Heatran. I spent weeks trying to get it, and I found out only afterwards that Flower Gift did not boost SpA. So don't worry about looking foolish, I have got that covered.

Another thing for you to try may be something along the lines of Fake Tears
It's been a little while since I watched his video, but I believe he did have a Fake Tears user with him.

EDIT: Ninja'd

EDIT: Ninja'd
but wow, you have good memory! props to you.

Right now I'm debating whether I should give HP ground to Typhlosion for flash fire users.

@fire gem
Eruption
Heat wave
Solar beam
Protect

Also debating whether flamethrower or heatwave is better. I have seen quite a few wide guard users lately, but Heat Wave had saved me many times when Typhlosion no longer had enough HP for Eruption.

You could just use an ability-erasing move, such as Worry Seed on your Whimsicott? That would help eliminate them to a hilarious extent.

You could just use 3 Fire moves (and/or Charcoal), since if you have enough support then immunities and resists won't be troubling you too much? Gives you good options at least, since SolarBeam doesn't help against Flash Fire mons.

I have decided to keep Solar Beam for now because it can seriously hurt a lot of water pokemon.

I gave Whirlwind to my Pokemon to mess up those Trick Room teams. Some of them disconnected on me as soon as their Trick Room user got blown away before they were able to use Trick Room. :P You can easily tell from the team preview which pokemon has Trick Room.

I like the idea of the triple battles. It's better than double battles, and it goes by more faster than single battles.
I agree. I mostly do triple battles than any other battles because its fun. Double battles used to be my favourite but ever since triple battles came out I fell in love with it. Also here in triple battle I use a Drizzle team to beat almost anyone unless a Grass type ruins my day.

I mostly play Triple Battles nowadays. I like them because I feel that you get can get more control in the battle, and many UU Pokemon become very viable in Triple Battles. Compared to a 3-pokemon single battle, there are many unpredictable factors that keep you from getting consistent performance. IMO, it is more luck dependent.

i keep seeing lots of Swampert and it's Water/Ground friends, then they usually go for a discharger on either side (usually levitating, flying or balooning), or they go for any floating pokemon on either side, whilst Swampert spams Choice Band Earthquake, and the other two just kill anything left. Out of the two strategies, ive seen the former work more effectivly, but it still can't beat teh awesomeness of Whimsicott, Ninetales and Yanmega!(Prankster, Drought and Tinted Lens)

I'm interested in going into Triple Battles in the GBU, after staying in Doubles for so long. From the few I played months ago on PO and the battle videos I've watched, it seems like an exaggerated version of Doubles, where the viability of certain moves that were good in Doubles is greatly increased; moves like Eruption, Rock Slide, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, etc. that were noticeable in Doubles are very potent and threatening in Triples. Also, positioning appears much more important. In Doubles, positioning doesn't matter at all unless you're trying to fool the opponent with Ally Switch. In Triples, the middle member has a better attack range than the other two, as well as being the only one who can be safe from damage via Follow Me + Wide Guard.

Can anyone confirm/deny/add to this? I want to be prepared before I go into it.

Ashenlock, you've got it right! Middle Pokemon can hit everyone and be hit by everyone.

I am bumping this thread. Triple Battles aren't nearly as popular here, but when I started playing this metagame (yesterday) I found a lot of ingame teams and rather new people. There are a surprising amount of people playing Triples, it's the most reliable match-finder out of any mode IMO.

First I used an EQ-Spam Sandstorm team leading with Hippowdon, Archeops, and Excadrill. And then I felt bad for using Exca so much, so I switched to...

Trick Room is unbelievably good in Triple Battles. Got TR up on turn three after some horrendous hax with my auxiliary set-upper (Reuniclus) and I managed to win the battle in the next two turns. I even had the fun of facing another TR team which was interesting. One downside of this playstyle is that it's tough to "disguise" a TR team since you have to use all 6 Pokemon now!

I've realized that Swampert can be pretty amazing for triples. the one Im currently using has
swampert@Lefties
Careful
252HP/252 Sp.D/6Defense(or something like that
Toxic
Wide Guard
Mirror Coat
Scald/Bulldoze/Hammer Arm

Works amazingly. If you didn't know, Wide Guard protects from moves that hit multiple opponents, including moves you use yourself. I use it on the first turn long with a CB Exploder, which protects my Salamence, allowing me to get in a free DD. Also, you don't know how many D/Cs I've gotten after their lead tried to explode on me and I Wide Guarded it. Also works well when using moves like Earthquake and Surf, and is very helpful in protecting against rock slide, as well as EQs or Surfs from my opponent.

And also, God I ****ing hate Trick Room. not because my team can't beat it, but because It comes up SO MUCH. since I've started playing triples the other day, I've faced like 30 Trick Roomers. It Pisses me off that people tend to be too lazy to think of fancy strategies. I have a Dusclops on my team I've had since 3rd gen, and basically, it spams Calm Mind, then mimics my partners healing move(recover, Moonlight, etc..) for instant healing. Not a very offensive combo, but still.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Normal Gem seems far superior to Choice Band for Explosion abuse; it hits just as hard, but has the option to Protect then Explode, or just attack before going out with a bang. Unless you're using a Pokemon that achieves particular KOs with Choice band and Choice Band alone (I can't think of any example right now except for Metagross's Meteor Mash on Rhyperior, and Metagross beats Rhyperior anyway thanks to its higher Speed), I'd think a Normal Gem would do the job more efficiently than a Choice Band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)