Azumarill (OU Analysis) [QC 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to add another thing to an already-lagging list, but I felt this needed to be done.

List of sets:
Choice Band

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/azumarill

[SET]
name: OU Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Return / Ice Punch
move 4: Superpower / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
ability: Huge Power
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe

Why this set belongs on-site:

- With a Choice Band, Azumarill's attack soars to 654, higher than Choice Band Tyranitar or Scizor.

- The strongest STAB Aqua Jet in the game lets it act as a check to Scarfed Heatran, Infernape, and fast but frail threats such as Jolteon or Weavile, once they've been weakened.

- Unlike ScarfMie (who can also check the above mentioned Pokemon), Azumarill isn't Pursuit or U-Turn weak. Also, Azumarill's greater bulk allows it a greater number of switch-in opportunities.

- Unlike Choice Band Gyarados, Azumarill isn't Stealth Rock weak.

- Though Scizor outclasses it in terms of general utility, Azumarill's Water typing provides a Water- and Fire-type resist that Scizor cannot. Unlike Scizor, Azumarill can also check Fire-type threats like Scarfed Heatran in addition to things like Scarfed Tyranitar that Scizor already checks.

- Sporting a resistance to Bullet Punch and Ice Shard (the two most common priority moves in OU) is a major plus, since it means Azumarill will beat most Priority abusers one-on-one while still checking several of their usual teammates.

- The raw power Azumarill provides is quite useful.

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet vs 4/0 Timid Gengar: 68.7% - 81.3%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet vs 0/0 Jolly Flygon: 47.8% - 56.8% (2HKO after Stealth Rock)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet vs 0/0 Naive Infernape: 108.5% - 127.6% (OHKO)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet vs 0/0 Naive Heatran: 70.6% - 83.6%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet vs 4/0 Jolly Tyranitar: 63.7% - 76%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Waterfall vs 248/212 Relaxed Swampert: 47.1% - 55.6% (2HKO after Spikes)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Waterfall vs 252/168 Bold (Bulky) Rotom-A: 57.6% - 68.1% (2HKO)
...0 SpA Rotom-A's Discharge vs CB Azumarill: 55.3% - 65.5%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Waterfall vs 0/0 (Choiced) Rotom-A: 93.4% - 110% (OHKO after Stealth Rock)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Waterfall vs 248/0 Adamant Scizor: 69.4% - 82.2% (2HKO)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Superpower vs 252/252 Bold Blissey: 121% - 142.6% (assured OHKO)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Return vs 248/252 Bold Vaporeon: 44.3% - 52.3%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Return vs 4/0 Timid Starmie: 88.5% - 104.6% (OHKO after Stealth Rock)

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Return vs 252/4 Timid (Rapid Spin) Starmie: 71.3% - 84% (2HKO)
...0 SpA Starmie's Thunderbolt vs CB Azumarill: 42.1% - 49.7%

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Return vs 0/4 (Offensive Life Orb) Adamant / Jolly Gyarados: 49.5% - 58.3% (after Intimidate [2HKO with Stealth Rock]) or 74% - 87.3% (no Intimidate [high probability of an OHKO after Stealth Rock])

252 Atk Adamant CB Azumarill's Ice Punch vs 252/220 Bold Celebi: 54.5% - 64.4% (2HKO after Stealth Rock)
...0 SpA Grass Knot vs CB Azumarill: 39.6% - 47.2% (60 BP)

As you can see, Azumarill is extremely difficult to switch into without predicting the correct move.

[Additional Comments]

- 44 Spe outpaces 4 Speed Blissey, although you may want to add another 4 EVs to ensure you outpace 8 Speed Machamp as well. Max Attack, the rest dumped into HP for bulk.

- Aqua Jet and Waterfall are practically required on this set to provide both powerful Priority and a reliable STAB to fall back on.

- The last two slots are the coverage options. Return is the main attack of choice against Bulky Water-types, while Superpower smites Blissey and hurts Steel-types. Ice Punch is more for Grass-types than Dragonite, as it's 2HKO'd by CB Return anyway.

- As the damage calcs and Azumarill's coverage options filling two slots would indicate, heavy prediction is required to use Azumarill at anywhere near its full potential. If you can't predict as well, stick to ScarfMie and its greater coverage.

- Pairs well with Pokemon such as Offensive Breloom, who can inflict damage on most of Azumarill's checks / counters while luring in Pokemon such as Scarfed Heatran and Infernape for Azumarill to switch in on. Other Grass-types such as Celebi and Shaymin are also effective, as they resist both of Azumarill's weakness and lure in Fire- and Ice-type attacks for the rabbit to take.

- Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Scarfed Heatran and Infernape, such as Mamoswine and Weavile, pair well with Azumarill and can clean up the opponent's team after Azumarill has laid into them for the better part of a match. Ironically enough, LO Heatran and Infernape also fall into this catagory.

- Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Rapid Spin are all much appreciated (and in the case of the first two, practically required) by Azumarill, making Forretress (and to a lesser extent, Skarmory) a valuable teammate. Donphan can also be considered for its Electric-type resistance and ability to lure in Water- and Ice-type attacks.

- Wish support is useful for keeping Azumarill healthy and letting it stick around to deal damage longer.

- Select teammates that compensate for holes in Azumarill's coverage. If it lacks Superpower, it will be walled by Empoleon. If it lacks Ice Punch, it will be walled by Bulky Celebi. If it lacks Return, it will struggle with bulky Water-types, particularly Gyarados, Vaporeon, and Kingdra.

Optional Changes:

- Aqua Tail can work over Waterfall as a more powerful STAB, but it doesn't really net you any KO's except the 2HKO on Swampert with SR, the OHKO on Choice Rotom-A, and a chance at a 2HKO vs Physically Defensive Skarmory with SR.

- Double Edge > Return. This assures a few KO's on bulky Water-types, most notably Vaporeon and Bulky Gyarados, but the recoil hampers Azumarill's bulk.

- 84 Speed EVs could be used to outspeed Base 60 Pokemon that don't invest in speed, but these are fairly rare.

- A SubPunch set could work, since Azumarill is capable of creating 101 HP Substitutes and has excellent Attack power. However, it will struggle against bulky Water-types, particularly Gyarados, and will be relegated to using Aqua Jet as its only STAB. It also lacks the raw battering strength of the Choice Band set, and loses a lot of usability against bulky Steel-types.

- A RestTalk set might also seem plausible, but Azumarill's lack of coverage while limited to only two moves makes it very easy to counter. In addition to this, Azumarill is weak to, and setup bait for, the most common sleep abuser in OU: Breloom. Skarmory, Tentacruel, and Forretress also enjoys setting up on RestTalk Azumarill.

[Checks and Counters]

Directly countering Azumarill is difficult, but not impossible. Vaporeon is likely your best bet, as it heals from switching into Azumarill's STAB attacks and can abuse Protect + Leftovers to avoid a 2HKO after Stealth Rock from CB Return before healing off damage with Wish. It can also 3HKO Azumarill with HP Electric or stall it out with Toxic. However, Double-Edge can 2HKO Vaporeon with Stealth Rock support, so be careful. RestTalk Gyarados (provided Intimidate is activated) and Suicune are also good choices, as their impressive bulk allows them to shrug off Azumarill's Return attacks with ease. However, even they can recieve a 3HKO with Stealth Rock support, so a crit could potentially bring them down, and they can do little to Azumarill in return.

Checking it is easier. Bulkier variants of Celebi and Shaymin can survive even a CB Ice Punch and proceed to outspeed and KO Azumarill with their STAB Grass attacks, provided Celebi is using Leaf Storm. Faster opponents with a Super-effective STAB move such as Rotom-A, Magnezone, or Zapdos, can easily revenge kill Azumarill, but frail Pokemon must still beware of CB Aqua Jet. Ultimately, the best way to deal with Azumarill is proper prediction and the removal of entry hazards. Just make the right decisions and keep Stealth Rock off the field, and Azumarill shouldn't cause undue ammounts of trouble.

I'm pretty sure this is everything major except the Overview, which I'll get to once I've gotten some feedback from QC. Cheers!

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You spelled Azumarill wrong in the title. Also, you need to remove the spaces between each bullet point, it should all be together in one whole mass of text. The analysis is formatted wrongly, look here for guidance.
Other than that, everything seems really good. I totally agree with this set, and I myself have used it to great success in OU. Good job!

You spelled Azumarill wrong in the title.
Fixed. I knew I'd missed one when I went back and double-checked the spelling. Thanks.

Also, you need to remove the spaces between each bullet point, it should all be together in one whole mass of text. The analysis is formatted wrongly, look here for guidance.
...isn't that just for the full writeup? The skeleton is much looser. I've written several analyses for UU, and I've never had to use the full writeup's format for the skeleton before, nor I have seen anyone get penalized for not using it for the skeleton. I'm leaving it as is until a mod or QC member tells me otherwise.

Other than that, everything seems really good. I totally agree with this set, and I myself have used it to great success in OU. Good job!
Thank you :)

elDino

Deal With It.
...isn't that just for the full writeup? The skeleton is much looser. I've written several analyses for UU, and I've never had to use the full writeup's format for the skeleton before, nor I have seen anyone get penalized for not using it for the skeleton. I'm leaving it as is until a mod or QC member tells me otherwise.
Here is an example. You do need to change it, it's only recently that they changed the format, which is why you probably haven't realized.

Here is an example. You do need to change it, it's only recently that they changed the format, which is why you probably haven't realized.
True, it has been a while since Ninetales went up, and I haven't done anything since then. I'll fix parts of it that need fixing.

...although quite frankly I find squashing everything together just makes the analysis a massive clusterfuck.

EDIT: Well fuck this. I now apparently have to re-write most of the first portion of the analysis to conform with the new format. That means that the several hours of calculating and shit that I did are worth nothing. Since I'm also almost certain I don't need to do this for the fucking skeleton of all things (see LizardMan's Quagsire Analysis), I'm not going to bother unless I'm told explicitly that I have to change it by QC or a Mod.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for the record i have no idea what elDino is talking about

it's just a skeleton, as long as the QC team can see the salient points and the final analysis is in the right format, i don't think we particularly care???

elDino

Deal With It.
for the record i have no idea what elDino is talking about

it's just a skeleton, as long as the QC team can see the salient points and the final analysis is in the right format, i don't think we particularly care???
Thanks Fate, I was just saying that's how it should be....

Thanks for clearing that up, Fate.

What calcs should I keep for the writeup? I kinda just spat out everything that came to mind, lol.

Made a few minor updates to the skeleton.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always recommend people to use bullet points when they want the Quality Control team to check their analyses, as reading through walls of text is sometimes counterproductive.

Anyways, me and my colleagues will review this set soon. But I'll tell you from now that you need to get rid of a lot of those calculations and stick to the most important ones. This means that you should just keep those that involve the most important Pokemon in OU (and their most used sets for that matter), such as Gengar, Starmie, Scizor, Tyranitar, and Rotom-A. There's really no need to have so many calcs on an analysis.

You'll hear from us soon.

I actually brought up an idea for a potential Azumarill analysis a year ago but it wasn't meant with much enthusiam (which makes sense, im iffy on it atm). I hadn't tried it then and I never ended up pursuing it, so I'm glad its getting a chance now. I haven't talked to anyone else on QC recently but i hopefully will be able to soon. I'll test the set too when I have time so expect a response somewhat soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)