The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Tauros..........ive only seen 1....and that was two years ago on PBRs random battles.......
I completely forgot it had base 100 speed (faster than most of my team and can hit almost everything for SE damage, making it a fairly potent threat). Zen Headbutt does ~49% to Conkeldurr (NOT with Sheer Force, mind you), however I'm not sure if a Guts-Boosted Mach Punch OHKOs (I got ballsy and went for a Drain Punch, in which a retarded flinch cost me a chance at winning the match.) I'll calc it, then edit it in.

I completely forgot it had base 100 speed (faster than most of my team and can hit almost everything for SE damage, making it a fairly potent threat). Zen Headbutt does ~49% to Conkeldurr (NOT with Sheer Force, mind you), however I'm not sure if a Guts-Boosted Mach Punch OHKOs (I got ballsy and went for a Drain Punch, in which a retarded flinch cost me a chance at winning the match.) I'll calc it, then edit it in.
tauros has 110 speed... and i dont think mach punch would ko.. tauros is fairly bulky....damn it now i want Tauros!

tauros has 110 speed... and i dont think mach punch would ko.. tauros is fairly bulky....damn it now i want Tauros!
Oops, thought it was 100... 110 is only worse lol

Anyways, my calc says that it should do about 83%-98% (at lv.100; 50 just doesn't work for some reason, but the percents would be similar either way), but I'm not sure how accurate my damage calculator is.

EDIT: Forgot to factor in Intimidate (the one I faced was Intimidate.) The damage would actually be around 55%-65% (I think)

Anyways, my calc says that it should do about 83%-98% (at lv.100; 50 just doesn't work for some reason, but the percents would be similar either way), but I'm not sure how accurate my damage calculator is.
Ya, it has the same speed as gengar. I can never forget tauros' speed. Learned it the hard way back in the old days when I was playing the pokemon crystal battle tower.

that sounds about right.
speaking of conklederp,its been rising in popularity. he's one powerful son of a bitch! and lastly, is it just me or is reuniclus really rare?

that sounds about right.
speaking of conklederp,its been rising in popularity. he's one powerful son of a bitch! and lastly, is it just me or is reuniclus really rare?
I see Reuniclus occasionally, and I also use one myself, and I'd say the reason (in my case) it isn't used more is because of it needs to set up to be potent, common weaknesses, and 4mss; without Recover it's defences aren't really that stellar uninvested/unboosted. Without CM or TR, it's either too weak or too slow. Psychic really isn't a great type, either. I run max hp/max def, with a (terrible) moveset of Recover/CM/Psyshock/Focus Blast, which either works very well or gets crapped on by anything with a bug/dark/ghost move, as well as other Psychic types; if I replace FB with Shadow Ball, I can't touch dark types, etc. etc.

I use that same set when i use my Reuniclus (Recover/CM/Psyshock/Focus Blast)
but im not a big fan of pure psychic types. The only Psychic type i use most of the time is Gallade with CC/PsychoCut/Leaf Blade/Earthquake, works better than i expected it to.

Gallade with CC/PsychoCut/Leaf Blade/Earthquake,
I wonder if it was you who critted my Golurk... j/k (probably)!

I've seen only one Tauros who wasn't used. But I am so sick of Rotom-Wash, whether they're Scarf, Specs, Screens, or Trick. That thing is good.

What are everyone's best (approximate of course) times for finding a match?

But I am so sick of Rotom-Wash, whether they're Scarf, Specs, Screens, or Trick. That thing is good.

What are everyone's best (approximate of course) times for finding a match?
Rotom-W gets on my nerves...even though i love it. I saw 1 Rotom-Fan which i didn't expect

I usually go on around 10pm (GMT)

The best matches are whenever the Japanese young adults get off of work, in whatever the Western equivalent time is.

>.>

I'm not anti-American by any stretch, but I have to say that the Japanese players have got way better sensibilities in the game, or at least wait until they know more about it to get into any particular metagame. I can count on one hand the number of JP players who played like they didn't know what they were doing. That's not to say that there aren't thorough and competent American players (Smogon is proof enough of that) or even that there aren't many of them, but the ones who are decent-to-great are vastly outnumbered. But then I'm speaking in the Singles thread where I have absolutely no Random Matchup experience, so maybe I should shut my mouth.

Not to segue off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that this thread is about to double in posts one day? Is it just having a free Monday that has everyone posting?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been thinking about a defensive team backed by a couple sweepers. It's going to look something like this:
-Lanturn (Stockpile/Tbolt/IceBeam/Scald)
-Shuckle (Rest/SleepTalk/Toxic/KnockOff) [I love this damn thing.]
-Registeel (Curse/Toxic/EQ/[Iron Head or Metal Claw, depends on my interest in leveling it])
-Bronzong (GyroBall/Reflect/LightScreen/???)

And then two fast and hard-hitting sweepers, to be used depending on the opponent's team. I know my Lanturn takes hits well and can hit back with moderate power, it might be the MVP of my current team. Thoughts on my idea?

From GameFAQ(G)s nonetheless.
apparently he doesn't play other battle modes.

but is he actually skillful, or like most of the Americans i face..."oh no im gonna lose *they dc*"
it would take a lot of dc's to reach a score that high. I'm struggling hard and I don't even come close to his rating though. :( and Yes, I'm guilty of disconnecting once in a blue moon...

My ranking doesn't show up on PGL for some reason... When I go to "Profile --> GBU" It shows my singles win/loss/rating as all "-". Why is that? I've been in well over 100 battles, so I know that's not the problem.

That's odd. When did you start playing? The ranking gets updated once a week. Are you sure you are playing rating mode? Also if you get over 50 wins, you get a star on the trainer card.

That's odd. When did you start playing? The ranking gets updated once a week. Are you sure you are playing rating mode? Also if you get over 50 wins, you get a star on the trainer card.
That's the thing- I've played since the day it was up, and I have around 60 wins (The star is on my card). I know it's sync'd to the right account, since I've used the Dream World before.

Offensive set up sweepers (np, dd, sd, shell smash, quiver dance) are kind of a high-risk high-reward strategy as it is very hard to set up but it kills if you do. Speed Boost is quite good especially Yanmega but it fails when noobs use it and don't protect but if you protect turn 1 it's quite good due to the lack of base 100+ scarfers (excluding lati@s). Also Breloom is fkin retarded if you bring it in on something slower and kill it while maintaining a sub then u sleep the next poke and repeat. DC is gay and so is BrightPowder Sheer Cold Obama.
EDIT: Drought and Drizzle are also fkin retarded.

That's the thing- I've played since the day it was up, and I have around 60 wins (The star is on my card). I know it's sync'd to the right account, since I've used the Dream World before.
did you specify your location (Country, State/Province)?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Damn Azelf. I see them on every other freaking team. I've never liked it anyway. I actually disconnected on one (given it was a rematch and Explosion is rather cheap).

did you specify your location (Country, State/Province)?
Pretty sure.

EDIT: Just had a match with a Japanese person with 2600+ wins, and it was... Underwhelming to say the least. I don't even need to post the video, as the battle was that short:

(Comments in Navy)

Turn 1

Nidoking (scarf) vs. Ninetales (Drought)

I was pondering whether I should use Earth Power or Fire Blast in case she (he?) switched into a resist. Eventually decided Earth Power was better.

Nidoking used Earth Power!
it's super effective!
Ninetales hung on with a Focus Sash!
Ninetales used Fire Blast!

Turn 2

Nidoking (Scarf) (9 Hp) vs Ninetales (1 Hp)

I couldn't believe I lived. I was utterly shocked.

Ninetales used Quick Attack!
Nidoking fainted!
-_-

Go! Blaziken!

Turn 3

Blaziken vs. Ninetales

Ninetales should outspeed, and I don't want to get hit with a Fire Blast/Hypnosis/somemoveinwhichIgetBShax'd

(Insert Japanese name) Withdrew Ninetales!
Go! Charizard!

Blaziken used Protect!
But it failed

(Speed Boost)
(Solar Power damage)

Turn 4

Blaziken vs. Charizard

It's clear (skies) that he's going to use Air Slash. I don't want Blaziken to die, so I switch into my last poke...

Blaziken! Come back!
Go! Honchkrow!

Charizard used Air Slash!
(Does about 85%)

Turn 5

Honchkrow vs. Charizard

I knew deep down that this next move could potentially determine the outcome of the match, so I thought long and hard; after weighing the Pros and Cons, I eventually op'd for Pursuit.

(Japanese) Withdrew Charizard!

AW HELL YEAH

Honchkrow used Pursuit!
(Dark Gem activates)
(Charizard faints)

(Japanese) sent out Blaziken!

Bullseye! I'm not usually that great with calling switches, but this one was ever-so satisfying, as all high-ranked players do the exact same thing once they see a Honchkrow. Anyways, this next move was still important, albeit a little less. I know She would probably try to set up so Sucker Punch would fail; Brave Bird was my best bet.

Honchkrow used Brave Bird!
(I outspeed? I assume it had few to no speed EV's...)
Blaziken fainted!
(Honchkrow faints due to recoil)

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the battle, as She forfeit the next turn.

Props:
Me
Honchkrow
My Pursuit prediction
Quick Attack Ninetales
Hax-less battle

Slops:
Everything not in the props

MVP: The almighty HONCHKROW

So, there you go. Like Comment Sub, peace.

Anyone seen or have saved, battle videos from top ranked peoples? (singles preferred)

I know i have found a few from the top ranked overall player, BIDC, but they're mostly doubles/triples

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)