Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

Could you provide me with the parameters you used so that I can make sure that case is properly caught in the next version?
It was set to search May 1 - 31, 2011.
Keypresses: None, One, Two
IV Frame 8, PID Frame 50 - 300
Shiny wasn't checked off.

I think that's how it was set up. If you need any more information, I'll be happy to provide.

Also, how exactly does one use the 'Adjacents' tab?
Every now and then I attempt to use it in attempt to find that annoying Timer0 I'm hitting, but I can never seem to get it to work... it doesn't list any other Timer0 values, usually. (Does that have something to do with me only having the same value in my Min/Max Timer0?)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Thanks. Do I just leave the paramaters at their default then?
Yes.

It was set to search May 1 - 31, 2011.
Keypresses: None, One, Two
IV Frame 8, PID Frame 50 - 300
Shiny wasn't checked off.

I think that's how it was set up. If you need any more information, I'll be happy to provide.
That's plenty, thanks. If you don't search for shinies, you will get 8000 times more results compared to shiny only. In such a case, you're better off limiting your search to a single day.

Anyway, the expected number of results calc is more or less fixed now (close enough to be reasonable) and will be in the next version.

Also, how exactly does one use the 'Adjacents' tab?
Every now and then I attempt to use it in attempt to find that annoying Timer0 I'm hitting, but I can never seem to get it to work... it doesn't list any other Timer0 values, usually. (Does that have something to do with me only having the same value in my Min/Max Timer0?)
Yeah, at the moment it just uses what's in your config, so if you only have one timer0 value in there it's not going to help. I'll be changing it to show the two adjacent timer0 values if you only have one in your config (or maybe just always) in the next version.

Thanks for the info. I've just been finding my parameters with that spread to see what I'm hitting, that'll definitely come in handy.

I've been having a problem similar to The Pokemon Pimp's. I'm trying to calibrate in the parameter searcher and while I have inputted the start date (today) to the second, have not touched any buttons until after the pokemon logo dissappears and have not turned on the c-gear, I cannot get any seeds after I search. The results remain blank. I have used the correct IV's for a pokemon I caught (after two steps) as well as the ivs (using serebii calculator). Can anyone help? Thanks

edit. I tried again with no steps before sweet scenting. Still coming up with nothing. I have version 1.2.0 is there maybe a newer version?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
I've been having a problem similar to The Pokemon Pimp's. I'm trying to calibrate in the parameter searcher and while I have inputted the start date (today) to the second, have not touched any buttons until after the pokemon logo dissappears and have not turned on the c-gear, I cannot get any seeds after I search. The results remain blank. I have used the correct IV's for a pokemon I caught (after two steps) as well as the ivs (using serebii calculator). Can anyone help? Thanks
Please post a screenshot, as well as the details of the poke you caught (nature and stats, not IVs). It's difficult to help without more details.

edit. I tried again with no steps before sweet scenting. Still coming up with nothing. I have version 1.2.0 is there maybe a newer version?
1.2.0 is the latest version at this time. And please actually edit your previous post instead of double posting.

sorry for the double post. I believe I have solved the issue using victory road instead of the giant chasm to calibrate. However, I am unable to post a screenshot because I have since released the pokemon :( if I have any problems in the future I will be sure to post a more detailed description (and not double post lol). Thank you

How would I got about looking at my adjacents for breeding? Is there some special setting I should set to for finding them, or is that not implemented yet (or, possible for that matter)?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
How would I got about looking at my adjacents for breeding? Is there some special setting I should set to for finding them, or is that not implemented yet (or, possible for that matter)?
There's no adjacents functionality for eggs at the moment. As I understand it, most people will immediately catch a pokemon after they pick up the egg to check whether they hit their seed or not before spending the time to hatch the egg. The existing adjacents functionality covers that scenario fine, so adjacents for eggs hasn't been a high priority.

And in case people are wondering what's coming up in the next release, here's the current list.

Implemented:
  • 20-30% speed up of standard seed searches (including eggs)
  • Ability to search C-Gear Seed Adjacents in order to more easily determine what delay you hit
  • Ability to set a range of IV frames in the C-Gear Adjacents so that finding which frame you hit after walking through the Entralink is easier

May get added before next release or in the following release
  • Multi-threaded searches
  • Ability to search other frame lists -- particularly PID frames -- to make it easier to find which frame you hit or would like to hit
  • Information about wild double battles
  • Detection of updated PPRNG versions
  • A couple other things I'm probably forgetting

I would still like to hear from people who have suggestions for useful functionalities (no guide requests, please -- and yes, I know some people want Gen 4 stuff, but there's only so much time that I have to work on this).

Hey I just got a new Mac and I'm unsure on how to actually get PPRNG to work. I download it and entered the program and a little menu box came up. Whenever I click on (for example DS Config) nothing happens. Help?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Hey I just got a new Mac and I'm unsure on how to actually get PPRNG to work. I download it and entered the program and a little menu box came up. Whenever I click on (for example DS Config) nothing happens. Help?
Please give more details. OS version, PPRNG version (found in the PPRNG menu under About PPRNG - please make sure you have the latest version found in the first post of his thread), model of your new Mac.

Also, if you could look in the console application (found in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder) and see if it logs any errors when you click on the buttons, it would be helpful.

I have a question regarding PPRNG when fishing. So, when the PID frames for fishing are generated, they either get a Y or not on the "Fish" column, what does this mean?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
I have a question regarding PPRNG when fishing. So, when the PID frames for fishing are generated, they either get a Y or not on the "Fish" column, what does this mean?
It's telling you whether you will get a nibble (i.e. encounter a pokemon) on that frame, because sometimes when you fish nothing appears. In other words, some frames won't be hittable.

Please give more details. OS version, PPRNG version (found in the PPRNG menu under About PPRNG - please make sure you have the latest version found in the first post of his thread), model of your new Mac.

Also, if you could look in the console application (found in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder) and see if it logs any errors when you click on the buttons, it would be helpful.
Oh sorry I forgot I'd asked about this here but It started working like 5 minutes after. Just want to say a BIG thanks for developing this program

Chiizu the new version is working brilliantly for my breeding, and the searches are so much faster. Amazing!

This is definitely not a high priority, but I was wondering if you could add a column to the PID list that indicates whether a wild battle will occur on that frame? It's really the only way to RNG in places like Giant Chasm where you can't Sweet Scent.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Chiizu the new version is working brilliantly for my breeding, and the searches are so much faster. Amazing!

This is definitely not a high priority, but I was wondering if you could add a column to the PID list that indicates whether a wild battle will occur on that frame? It's really the only way to RNG in places like Giant Chasm where you can't Sweet Scent.
I don't believe that the judgement about whether an encounter will take place or not on a given frame has been figured out (if you know that it has, please point in the direction of that info!).

However, for Giant Chasm (and other places where weather messes with your sweet scent) you can still use sweet scent if you follow the instructions in this post. See the last entry in the General Information section.

I don't believe that the judgement about whether an encounter will take place or not on a given frame has been figured out (if you know that it has, please point in the direction of that info!).

However, for Giant Chasm (and other places where weather messes with your sweet scent) you can still use sweet scent if you follow the instructions in this post. See the last entry in the General Information section.
Wow I wasn't aware of that, thank you.

For the record though, I know it has been figured out since I asked about it in the RNG Research thread at some point, but I can't seem to find my post. If I find the info I'll edit it in.

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3435656&postcount=4031
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3323618&postcount=665

Not sure if that means anything to you or not. :P

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Wow I wasn't aware of that, thank you.

For the record though, I know it has been figured out since I asked about it in the RNG Research thread at some point, but I can't seem to find my post. If I find the info I'll edit it in.

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3435656&postcount=4031
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3323618&postcount=665

Not sure if that means anything to you or not. :P
Those links are about how a Pokemon's PID is generated, not about determining whether or not you'll get a battle on a given frame. Kaphotics gives a one line answer to your post at the end of the first post, though.

Despite Kaphotics' statement, the logic for whether you'll get an encounter is not completely documented. There is this which was worked out by Toast some time ago, but I don't know the extent to which it's been verified (for example, I'm under the (perhaps false) impression that different areas have different encounter rates, which the simple formula in that post doesn't take into account).

Anyway, it's something that would be good to figure out, so I'll keep it on my list for stuff to do further down the line.

Hey, so first of all thanks for the great program. I was able to RNG some stationary legendaries and wild pokemon and have a basic understanding of hitting seeds and advancing IV and PID frames. I am currently trying to catch a flawless shiny wild pokemon. I used the standard seed searcher and came up with IV frame 2 and *frm 77.

My question is this: How do we find out what the initial PID frame is? I have read this thread and the guide and was unable to find it. I believe with RNG reporter it is in the time finder. I know how to hit the seed, and advance the frames, but can't figure out how to find the initial PID fame. This is probably an easy question, so I apologize if it seems obvious.

Those links are about how a Pokemon's PID is generated, not about determining whether or not you'll get a battle on a given frame. Kaphotics gives a one line answer to your post at the end of the first post, though.

Despite Kaphotics' statement, the logic for whether you'll get an encounter is not completely documented. There is this which was worked out by Toast some time ago, but I don't know the extent to which it's been verified (for example, I'm under the (perhaps false) impression that different areas have different encounter rates, which the simple formula in that post doesn't take into account).

Anyway, it's something that would be good to figure out, so I'll keep it on my list for stuff to do further down the line.
That's what the code looked like to me, but I don't have the background with it that others do and I didn't understand why he would respond to my post with that info. :\ Perhaps he misunderstood.

Hey, so first of all thanks for the great program. I was able to RNG some stationary legendaries and wild pokemon and have a basic understanding of hitting seeds and advancing IV and PID frames. I am currently trying to catch a flawless shiny wild pokemon. I used the standard seed searcher and came up with IV frame 2 and *frm 77.

My question is this: How do we find out what the initial PID frame is? I have read this thread and the guide and was unable to find it. I believe with RNG reporter it is in the time finder. I know how to hit the seed, and advance the frames, but can't figure out how to find the initial PID fame. This is probably an easy question, so I apologize if it seems obvious.
If it's IV frame 2 and PID Frame 77 you're (probably) not going to be able to hit it. Find something on IV Frame 1. Search more months and more hold buttons, if you have to. Something will pop up. Though to be fair, breeding shinies is MUCH easier and gives you TONS more results.

In response to your question though, the short answer is you need to test it. PID frames usually start around 45-60 in my experience, but it varies with every seed. If there are wandering NPCs in the area, the starting frame may actually vary with each save, since they can save in different positions, etc.

So save where you want to RNG the pokemon, load the game and immediately sweet scent to catch the first pokemon you can. Make sure the IVs match your seed, then use the gender, nature, and ESV of the resulting pokemon to find out what your starting PID frame is. Then just reset the game and hit the seed again, advancing as many times as necessary. As long as you use the same save file the starting frame won't change.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Nightmare13 answered your question in his post, but I just wanted to mention why PPRNG doesn't currently do the starting PID frame calculation while RNG Reporter does, which is due to the following two reasons:

1. The calculation RNG Reporter does is a good approximation of the initial PID frame offset, but it isn't always accurate, which is a good way to confuse people.
  2. If there are any NPCs around, you are anyway going to have to calibrate to find your actual starting PID frame, making the output of any PID frame offset calculation (even a 100% accurate one) not very useful in the general case.

If the real PID offset algorithm is worked out at some point, I'll look to add it at then, but I fear the result is a lot of people complaining that it's giving the wrong offset due to NPC movement, etc.

Nightmare13 said:
That's what the code looked like to me, but I don't have the background with it that others do and I didn't understand why he would respond to my post with that info. :\ Perhaps he misunderstood.
Kaphotics likes to respond to multiple posts simultaneously without clearly indicating what he's referring to. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the post by ToastPlusOne that I linked to when he stated that the encounter judgement was known, but I'm not sure.

Thank you Nightmare 12 and chiizu. I'm actually trying to RNG in an area with no NPC, because I know they alter the PID frame. I will try to search for a IV frame of 1. I would try to breed shiny eggs, but again, most of the guides are for RNG reporter. Maybe I'll use that once and try to adapt for PPRNG. In terms of checking the PID I'm guessing that I will have to use the standard seed inspector, and just search for the parameters that match the first wild pokemon as Nightmare13 suggested, then reset and hit the seed again. One final thing is, how do we tell the esv for a given caught pokemon

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  1. The calculation RNG Reporter does is a good approximation of the initial PID frame offset, but it isn't always accurate, which is a good way to confuse people.
Actually, that's not true. The original Japanese program (by hosome) which predicted initial PID frames is inaccurate, yes. But that's only due to a bug in the original program; the code behaves very differently from what you would intuitively expect.

I spent hours trying to figure out why RNG Reporter's prediction didn't match up with hosome's program, only to discover that RNG Reporter predicted initial frame correctly where hosome's program did not. To date, RNG Reporter has not failed to correctly predict initial frame in areas with no NPCs.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Actually, that's not true. The original Japanese program (by hosome) which predicted initial PID frames is inaccurate, yes. But that's only due to a bug in the original program; the code behaves very differently from what you would intuitively expect.

I spent hours trying to figure out why RNG Reporter's prediction didn't match up with hosome's program, only to discover that RNG Reporter predicted initial frame correctly where hosome's program did not. To date, RNG Reporter has not failed to correctly predict initial frame in areas with no NPCs.
Fair enough. I'm going by what other people (not random newbs, but people I have reason to believe know what they are talking about) in the Gen 5 help thread and on IRC have said, as I have not done any actual testing myself. Given the average user, though, I still think it can be more misleading than helpful in many situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)