The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Oops, thought it was 100... 110 is only worse lol

Anyways, my calc says that it should do about 83%-98% (at lv.100; 50 just doesn't work for some reason, but the percents would be similar either way), but I'm not sure how accurate my damage calculator is.

EDIT: Forgot to factor in Intimidate (the one I faced was Intimidate.) The damage would actually be around 55%-65% (I think)
Who's actually switching in Tauros to Conkeldurr though? Intimidate likely not a factor the majority of times they might face each other. Life Orb Sheer Force Rock Climb and Zen Headbutt calculations against Conkeldurr would be important though, letting us know if he could switch it at all.

Who's actually switching in Tauros to Conkeldurr though? Intimidate likely not a factor the majority of times they might face each other. Life Orb Sheer Force Rock Climb and Zen Headbutt calculations against Conkeldurr would be important though, letting us know if he could switch it at all.
My Max HP/4 Def Conkeldurr took almost exactly 50% from a non Life-Orb'd (I think), Intimidate Tauros (I'm 100% sure it was Intimidate, as I vividly remember raging when the second Zen Headbutt got a flinch), meaning that it definately would have been 2HKO'd by a LO, Sheer Force Zen Headbutt; Not so sure about Rock Climb, but I'll add that in a sec.

EDIT: Calcs
Jolly 252 atk Tauros Rock Climb (LO Sheer Force) vs. Adamant 252 HP/4 Def Conkeldurr:;

53%-63%

A clean 2HKO

Zoroark is terribly overused though most people don't seem to take full advantage of Illusion. The few that do are extremely annoying to battle. More often than not, you lose a Pokemon that you needed for another threat.

Interestingly, I faced a trick room team for the first time today though it was mono-psychic. Not sure why more people don't use them since they seem to screw over a lot of people's teams. Also, Gothitelle is surprisingly bulky, surviving Blaziken's Flare Blitz with ~40% and then mirror coating a Thunderbolt from Rotom. The rest of his team was unremarkable. And is it me, or do Japanese players like to use mono-teams a lot? And yet they somehow still have a ton of wins (I guess they use another team for the wins, and then switch to mono-teams for fun).

Well, I've got nothing to do for the next 30 minutes, so I figured I'd post a(nother) pseudo-RMT style team update thing.

Anyways, I'll put it in a spoiler for those that don't want to be hit by a wall of text and whatnot.

Super Awesome Team of Stuff

Well, I've never been good at introductions, and since this is for random Wi-Fi, I don't think I need to explain the entire team building process. Let's jump right in, shall we?

Latios @Expert Belt
~Timid
+Levitate
>252 spA/252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Psychic
-Dragon Pule

Latios. Latios is... Latios. Not much needs to be said; it hits everything hard. It often nets surprise KOs with HP Fire; you'd be surprised how many people try to switch in a Scizor/Ferrothorn/Any other Steel expecting to tank a DM, only to get slaughtered by HP Fire. Expert Belt because Dragon/Fire/Psychic hits many powerful threats for SE damage.

Sharpedo @Life Orb
~Adamant
+Speed Boost
>252 Atk/252 Spe
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Fang

Sharpedo(phile). It rapes many things (like children); after 2 turns of Speed Boosting, it outspeeds Adamant Excadrill. This is a pretty big job, since I lack a reliable counter for it. It also is a fairly reliable dragon "counter", since it outspeeds all scarfed dragons after 2 SBs and can hit hard with Ice Fang. This isn't that big of a deal since as you'll see, my team is quite over prepared for dragon types, and rightfully so. Waterfall's extra flinch ratio has actually saved me in a few instances as well (and forced just as many D/Cs as well). It was meant to be purely physical as a "SB tag-team" with Yanmega, but... Well, I'll get to that later.

Lilligant @Leftovers
~Timid
+Own Tempo
>252 spA/252 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Ice] (Will most likely change to either Ground, Rock, or Fire)

Lilligant. Oh how I love thee. There is one reason, and one reason alone I use it over Volcarona: Sleep Powder. And that alone is a very good reason. Despite it's shaky 75% Acc., it's been quite reliable; in fact, out of all the times I've used it (6-7), it's never missed once. Giga Drain + Lefties give Lilligant a good amount of recovery each turn. HP Ice is meant to handle Dragon, Flying, and Grass types; this leaves it walled against steel and fire types, forcing to either put them to sleep or switch out. This is why I want to change it's HP type; I'd prefer fire, but dragons could easily come in and set up. Rock allows me to keep coverage on Dragon types while letting me hit fire and flying types for SE damage; this doesn't fix my steel problem, though, as my team lacks a reliable fire user. Ground-type is sort of the middle ground (no pun intended); I can hit steel and fire for SE, keep neutrality on dragons, but miss out on flying and grass types. Overall, the current MVP of this team.

Omastar @Focus Sash
~Timid
+Swift Swim
>252 spA/252 Spe
-Shell Smash
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Electric]

Omastar. I chose it over Cloyster for 3 reasons: Higher attacking stat, Swift Swim, and Sandstorm immunity. Higher attacking stat is self-explanatory. Swift Swim allows it to outspeed EVERYTHING IN THE GAME after a Shell Smash and it's SwSw boost (Essentially at +6 I believe). Sandstorm immuntiy is fairly crucial; Omastar, unlike Cloyster, isn't dead weight against SS teams, since it's sash stays intact. Surf was chosen over Hydro Pump for more reliability. A close second to Lilligant in terms of usefulness.

Yanmega @Bug Gem
~Modest
+Speed Boost
>252 spA/252 Spe
-Detect (Darn you, PokeGen...)
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power [Ground]

Yanmega. The current LVP. Why? Because I haven't gotten to use him yet. Now you may be wondering, "Why are you going to judge it if you've never used it?" and my answer could be found in the rest of the team. I've never used it because there's nothing it can do that something else can't do better. I guess it's just been unlucky and trolled by bad match-ups against others teams, but I've yet to find a use for it and thus cannot explain how well it preforms. I'll probably swap it out for a ground-type later.

Staraptor @Choice Scarf
~Adamant
+Reckless
>252 Atk/252 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Double Edge
-Close Combat
-U-turn

Staraptor. It does it's job, and it does it well; BRAVE BIRD EVERYTHIIIIIIIING!!!11!1!!!1 (cookie to those that get the reference). But really, it's job is as a revenge-killer extraordinaire; the sheer power behind Brave Bird and to a lesser extent Double Edge is almost unfair; very few things can and will switch in safely.

THREAT LIST:
Excadrill- Very fast, I lack a reliable counter as most carry Focus Sash.

Electric types- 4 members of my team are weak it

Scarf Galvantula- Gets a special mention for being able to hit everything for SE damage with it's STAB; not sure if Omastar outspeeds after a Shell Smash, but Thunder could paralyze and ruin my fun.

Steel types NOT named Ferrothorn or Scizor- I lack any STAB fire or ground moves; Omastar and Staraptor are mere checks, not counters.

Metagross- Particularly threatening if it packs Bullet Punch.

Focus Sashes- Since I lack priority

Shell Smash Users- See above

Well, that's really all I can think of now; your feedback would be greatly appreciated.​

A Mamoswine would solve most of your problems, giving you immunity to electric attacks and priority in Ice Shard. Considering that Zapdos and Thundurus are probably the most common electrics next to Rotom-W (which Lilligant probably takes care off), the secondary ice typing will be useful. It also gives more insurance against dragons.

For Excadrill and steels, you can try something like Balloon Heatran or Balloon Blaziken. Balloon anything + Super Effective Attack will work against Excadrill most of the time.

Btw, how has Latios been working out for you? I almost never use mine, and the times I do are against people using Pokemon like Emboar. It seems like every team I face is prepared for it.

Latios gets the job done. It's not super over-powered like one would think; it's kind of like a rain team; has the potential to wreck anyone unprepared for it, but many good players prepare for it well, since really anything with a scarf and a SE move will force it out. Not to mention that it has to switch out every time it uses DM. That being said, it's a solid addition to the team; I sort of use him as my "filler" so to speak, since I can really just slap him on any team and have him do well (especially with HP Fire. It amazes me how few people expect it...)

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions; I'll add Mamoswine and Heatran ASAP, as soon as I can think of who to replace.

Latios gets the job done. It's not super over-powered like one would think; it's kind of like a rain team; has the potential to wreck anyone unprepared for it, but many good players prepare for it well, since really anything with a scarf and a SE move will force it out. Not to mention that it has to switch out every time it uses DM. That being said, it's a solid addition to the team; I sort of use him as my "filler" so to speak, since I can really just slap him on any team and have him do well (especially with HP Fire. It amazes me how few people expect it...)

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions; I'll add Mamoswine and Heatran ASAP, as soon as I can think of who to replace.
You should replace one of the Water-types, since you have two of them on your team. Personally, I like my team spread out in terms of types, etc. but don't let that stop you from keeping the team you wanted.

You should replace one of the Water-types, since you have two of them on your team. Personally, I like my team spread out in terms of types, etc. but don't let that stop you from keeping the team you wanted.
I have no idea which to switch though; I like the speed and decent power Sharpedo gives just by being on the field, but I also like Omastar's power post-setup. Maybe Omastar, since my team will be all special and only 1 physical (Mamoswine) attacker if I give Sharpedo the boot. I'll just have to test them both.
So my new team will look something like this:

-Latios
-Sharpedo/Omastar
-Lilligant
-Mamoswine
-Heatran/Blaziken (Still haven't decided)
-Staraptor

That's pretty solid I guess. Who needs walls? I play Ash-style.

I have no idea which to switch though; I like the speed and decent power Sharpedo gives just by being on the field, but I also like Omastar's power post-setup. Maybe Omastar, since my team will be all special and only 1 physical (Mamoswine) attacker if I give Sharpedo the boot. I'll just have to test them both.
So my new team will look something like this:

-Latios
-Sharpedo/Omastar
-Lilligant
-Mamoswine
-Heatran/Blaziken (Still haven't decided)
-Staraptor

That's pretty solid I guess. Who needs walls? I play Ash-style.
Well, if you have BOTH Blaziken and Sharpedo(phile), you'll have two Speed Boost Pokemon on your team, but my opinion is keep Blaziken, or otherwise you'll be walled by Chansey/Blissey, so Heatran is out of the picture. Now with Sharpedo/Omastar...you might need something to cover Blaziken's Psychic-type weakness. Bring Sharpedo on the switch on an incoming Psychic-type attack, and Protect the next turn, and fire off Crunch. Just my opinion.

So my view of the team is now:
Latios
Sharpedo
Lilligant
Mamoswine
Staraptor
Blaziken

Well, if you have BOTH Blaziken and Sharpedo(phile), you'll have two Speed Boost Pokemon on your team.
In which case one of them would need to be a Special attacker; Blaziken has the better spA stat, but Sharpedo has a "better" movepool.

In which case one of them would need to be a Special attacker; Blaziken has the better spA stat, but Sharpedo has a better movepool.
Okay, to prevent yourself from being walled by Gliscor, try this:
Blaziken @ Ice Gem
252 Atk/60 SpA/136 Spd
Hasty
Hidden Power Ice
Hi Jump Kick
Blaze Kick/Flare Blitz
Protect

Just made that up myself.

The Hidden Power Ice is there for Dragon-types, mainly Salamence, and for Gliscor, so it doesn't wall your physical fun.

Okay, to prevent yourself from being walled by Gliscor, try this:
Blaziken @ Ice Gem
252 Atk/60 SpA/136 Spd
Hasty
Hidden Power Ice
Hi Jump Kick
Blaze Kick/Flare Blitz
Protect

Just made that up myself.

The Hidden Power Ice is there for Dragon-types, mainly Salamence, and for Gliscor, so it doesn't wall your physical fun.
Hm... Alright. Sounds good, though I'll change the Ice Gem to a Balloon, so I have a good Excadrill counter as well.

For Blaziken, you might want to bump the speed EVs up to 200 with a Hasty/Naive nature to outspeed neutral-natured Kingdra in the rain after two Speed Boosts. Practically no one gives Kingdra a speed boosting nature since it's already so fast under rain.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on a good Latios replacement? The only thing he does on my team besides sitting in the sidelines is scare fighters, so I figured I would replace it with something that would provide more insurance against dragons and handle bulky psychics like Reuncilus and Sigilyph, two Pokemon my team hates. Any recommendations on something that can handle fighters, psychics, and dragons? I was thinking Yanmega, but he seems really frail...(I already have sash on something else, and it's not coming off)

For Blaziken, you might want to bump the speed EVs up to 200 with a Hasty/Naive nature to outspeed neutral-natured Kingdra in the rain after two Speed Boosts. Practically no one gives Kingdra a speed boosting nature since it's already so fast under rain.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on a good Latios replacement? The only thing he does on my team besides sitting in the sidelines is scare fighters, so I figured I would replace it with something that would provide more insurance against dragons and handle bulky psychics like Reuncilus and Sigilyph, two Pokemon my team hates. Any recommendations on something that can handle fighters, psychics, and dragons? I was thinking Yanmega, but he seems really frail...(I already have sash on something else, and it's not coming off)
Toxic-stalling CM Cresselia with CM/Rest/Toxic/Ice Beam might work (CM mainly for Sigilyph/Reuniclus).. I'm not too big a fan of offensive Cress, but people have claimed that it works well. In theory, it should be able to stop Dragons with Ice Beam/Rest, Fighters/Psychics with Toxic-stalling, and Magic Guard Pokémon by having a CM stall-war with them (Clefable/Sigilyph can't do much, and Reuniclus might be a problem if it carries Shadow Ball but I never see them using that).

I could, but the problem is, Blaziken would have had to have been in before Kingdra came out; otherwise, I'd have to rely on getting a double protect, and I don't think HJK OHKOs (I'll put in calcs later).
EDIT: HJK would do a max of ~84% to Kingdra.

For Excadrill, it'd go like this (Assuming Excadrill is sash'd):

Turn 1

Blaziken (+0) Protect
Excadrill Rock Slide

Turn 2

Blaziken attack (+1)
Excadrill Rock Slide; I live (Take ~56% max) , balloon breaks

Turn 3

Blaziken (+2) Protect
Excadrill EQ

Turn 4

Blaziken (+3) Now outspeeds Jolly Excadrill in the sand by 2 points and gets the KO, unless Rock Slide got a flinch.

Virizion's got a good idea, Cresselia is really useful.

But if you wanted to use Yanmega (<<<*unbiased*), Life Orb, a Gem (Flying or Ice), or Specsmega are other workable items. HP Ice for dragon slaying, Air Slash, Bug Buzz, Protect/etc.

Cresselia depends on trainer, I fought a yanmega with substitute, Feint, protect, retaliate. item was a Focus sash so its a nice sweeper.

I'm relatively new to the random battles and just started EV training :P my white FC is 4556 0340 8557 trainer name CLINT

Ive added those who posted here already.

so far i have gotten 21 wins and many DC's from my opponents using my ev team of Scrafty tyranitar and garchomp, (conkeldurrs eat me for breakfast -.-"")

any advice would be great I have learned alot just reading posts here :)

Breloom is retardedly amazing, I'm running:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly - Poison Heal
128 Defence / 128 Sp. Defence / 252 Speed
-Spore
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Ankle Sweep

You basically win if they are slower than you, don't have recovery or magic bounce and arent grass type.
If you dleep something fast on the switch you just sub and ankle sweep ftw.
Never bring it out first!!!bunkers their whole team is slower than you.

This thread needs more love...

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
started playing free mode today and my first 4 matches were all japanese players.
1st one had 5 stars, 3-0ed them.
2nd one had 3 stars, 2-0ed them.
3rd one had 3 stars, 2-0ed them.
4th one had 3 stars, lost horribly (2-0).

the interesting thing is, i am using ttar / excadrill / milotic. yeah yeah standard i know, but my point is this: the person who beat me had kingdra, excadrill, and virizion, all common anti-weather pokemon (kindof...), whereas the previous people employed a single strategy (ninetales lilligant etc). apparently throwing a pokemon on your team to counterteam every style works....

brb RNGing kingdra jumpluff and virizion hehehe

i for one think priority moves are the key to winning games here. but i was just wondering which pokemon dominate the 3 vs 3 metagame, so that i can, well, abuse them. thundurus is working well for me so far.

I concur that Thundurus is awesome. It has the coverage in TBolt and HPIce and the speed and special attack to back them up, shuts down set up with Taunt, and cripples fast sweepers with TWave. It and Blaziken are usually my MVPs.

Dragonite (with Multiscale) and Garchomp are also rather effective. You can also just go with the standard rain team, which for some reason is rare on Wifi even though it rips apart most teams. Same goes for Trick Room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)