Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

bulk doesn't matter as much as offence.

also, 75 base attack is laughable compared to 110 base Special Attack. that's not a marginal difference.

Serperior is far worse than lilligant.

Also Quiver Dance+Petal Dance >>>>> Coil+Leaf Blade.
My mistake, I meant to remove "marginally" since I had restructured that sentence.

Why doesn't bulk matter as much as offense?
How is Serperior far worse than Lilligant?
Is it just Quiver Dance? How is it better than Coil? Because it boosts Speed instead of Accuracy?
Is it Petal Dance? How does that factor in when Lilligant gets Petal Dance at Lv46?
How is Petal Dance better than Leaf Blade? Is locking yourself into the same move 2-3 turns better than a higher Critical Hit ratio?
Is Own Tempo + Petal Dance a lot better than Overgrow + Leaf Blade?
How much Speed above Serperior would Lilligant have with one Quiver Dance if both Pokemon were the same level and Nature?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My mistake, I meant to remove "marginally" since I had restructured that sentence.

Why doesn't bulk matter as much as offense? In-game isn't like stall - chances are you want to just kill everything before it has a chance to kill you.
How is Serperior far worse than Lilligant? Can't say anything here, haven't used Smuglord.
Is it just Quiver Dance? How is it better than Coil? Because it boosts Speed instead of Accuracy? Not only does it do that, but it boosts an already high stat to immense levels, as opposed to an above average stat to good.
Is it Petal Dance? How does that factor in when Lilligant gets Petal Dance at Lv46? It's not Petal Dance, I used Giga Drain / QD / Leech Seed / Sleep Powder and love it.
How is Petal Dance better than Leaf Blade? Is locking yourself into the same move 2-3 turns better than a higher Critical Hit ratio? I didn't use it, but Petal Dance is ridiculously strong now, so in this case yes. It also only uses 1 PP for multiple attacks.
Is Own Tempo + Petal Dance a lot better than Overgrow + Leaf Blade? YES YES YES YES YES
How much Speed above Serperior would Lilligant have with one Quiver Dance if both Pokemon were the same level and Nature? /me waits for Psypoke to load

Well, I understand what makes Lilligant a relatively good Pokemon. I have no arguments about it and of itself. What I'm curious about is how Serperior is "so horrible" but Lilligant is "oh so good". They seem to be on equal footing with all things considered. Not this over-reaction of Serperior being a shit-turd and Lilligant being some savant.

EDIT:
Looking over Serperior's movepool:
Coil / Glare / Leaf Blade / Dragon Tail
Sounds rad. I'm going to try it.

Basically B/W tried to make making a F/W/G core really easy but ended up making most of the wild ones better than the starters. Serperior is Meganium with more speed and worse offenses, Emboar is fat Blaziken, and Samurott is Feraligatr with a smaller movepool and better SpA.

Cue everyone picking Oshawott because it's less bad than the others.

:D

Skorpius, because Serperior has only one stat - Speed. Defenses are very good but nothing spectacular. Attacks are simply bad. NFE usually hit harder than Serperior. In-game Atk/SpAtk are the most important stats - you want to OHKO as much as possible because you fight vs millions of weaker Pokemon and constant healing is pain in the ass. Serperior has no moves. Really, no moves. Like other Grass types... Serperior has weak moves - Leaf Blade being strongest because you don't like -2 SpAtk on something that is supposed to kill 10 opponents in row.
80 BP move with horrible coverage coming of 75 base Atk. Kind of pitiful.
On the other hand you have Lilligant. After Quiver Dance or two, you simply don't care about resists. Especially with 120 BP STAB coming of really good 110 SpAtk and no drawbacks (Own Tempo). You have Sleep Powder (also useful for catching).
Both have Giga Drain. Only Lilligant can OHKO something with it.

Yeah, I know, Snivy looks great (imo best Grass starter) while Tepig and Oshawott are ugly as hell (both are imo the worst of their types, especially otter). Unfortunately, only Samurott and Emboar can do something more than subseed. Also, Samurott faces no competition (okay, Carracosta is slightly better however you might want to get Archeops). Emboar and Serperior are severely outclassed (Darmanitan/Chandelure [Larvesta is too hard to get and train imo] and Simisage/Leavanny/Lilligant/Maractus/Sawsbuck/Ferrothorn respectively).

Dragon Tail - kind of fun but useful only with ton of entry hazards.

Edit:
You know that there exists nsfw ending of that comic? ;>
I chose Oshawott because of Samurott, planning to evolve it as soon as possible. Megahorn is badass \m/

I only picked Wotter because I've never picked the Water starter. SoulSilver and White were when I decided to try out the water guys. I wish I could use Charmander in ever game, though. Or Turtwig. Torterra was rad.

yeah, Maractus as well. It has 11 base Atk more, 31 base SpAtk more, Synthesis and powerful Petal Dance. With Cotton Guard it takes hits much better than Serperior with Coil. Sucker Punch might prove useful as well. It really hurts me to say that but yeah, in-game Maractus is better than Serperior.

Heart Gold... only game where Water was my first choice (you know, physical split is huge boost to Feraligatr and little nerf to Typhlosion - Thunderpunch).

yeah, Maractus as well. It has 11 base Atk more, 31 base SpAtk more, Synthesis and powerful Petal Dance. With Cotton Guard it takes hits much better than Serperior with Coil. Sucker Punch might prove useful as well. It really hurts me to say that but yeah, in-game Maractus is better than Serperior.
See, now I can't take you seriously. 75/67/67 defenses, 60 Speed. So Synthesis doesn't help out much. Petal Dance at Lv38 locks it into confusion, Sucker Punch doesn't get STAB and is at Lv42, and Cotton Guard is almost completely irrelevant because it's at Lv55. You trollin' me, bro.

No. We're talking about in-game. Have you EVER cared about confusion after Thrash etc.? You simply switch out. It's not Battle Tower. EVs/nature let you outspeed potentially faster Pokemon.
Defenses are irrelevant if you ohko your opponent. Sucker Punch is for picking off something that has low HP and outspeeds you. Still is better than lolSlam or lolReturn on Serperior. I'm just naming options.
Petal Dance is easily the best grass type move in-game. Immense power and great PP.

@Arcticblast, sorry ^^"

Sorry for popping bubble filled with love towards Serperior. I like him a lot however he's really weak. I admit, 'severely' was too much. However... I can't say that Serperior is better. Not when he fails to 1hko anything without Grass weakness. On the other hand, anything is usable in-game.
btw nice level of replying, maybe try to think of something constructive.

I didn't use Serperior in-game myself, but I cringed watching others use it. Up until it learned leaf blade, Serperior was nearly useless.

Pleases rate this team
Serperior 60
Quirky Nature Miracle Seed
Aerial Ace
Giga drain
leaf blade
toxic

Emboar 61
Timid Nature Quick claw
Stone Edge
Hammer Arm
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Samurott 59
Timid Nature mystic water
Slash
Surf
Aerial Ace
Dig

Galvantula 60
Brave Nature Magnet
Thunder bolt
Electro web
bug buzz
slash

Unfezant 48
Sassy Nature Exp Share (Rock helmet or Float Stone) for later
Air Slash
Steel wing
Fly
Detect

Krookodile 59
Relaxed Nature soft sand
Grass knot
Slugde bomb
Crunch
Earthquake

Sorry for popping bubble filled with love towards Serperior. I like him a lot however he's really weak. I admit, 'severely' was too much. However... I can't say that Serperior is better. Not when he fails to 1hko anything without Grass weakness. On the other hand, anything is usable in-game.
btw nice level of replying, maybe try to think of something constructive.
I actually don't like Serperior, but I know it's not so abysmally horrible and unusable like everyone seems to complain about. I couldn't use Petilil or Maractus because they died too quickly. I tried. I really did. Dunno, maybe I suck at using good Pokemon and good at using sucky Pokemon?

Also, why so serious? There's no reason to snap out like you did here.

I actually don't like Serperior, but I know it's not so abysmally horrible and unusable like everyone seems to complain about. I couldn't use Petilil or Maractus because they died too quickly. I tried. I really did. Dunno, maybe I suck at using good Pokemon and good at using sucky Pokemon?

Also, why so serious? There's no reason to snap out like you did here.
Petlil evolves into a fairly sturdy Pokemon which becomes even more sturdy with Quiver Dance. I can't understand how it would die quickly.

Pleases rate this team
Serperior 60
Quirky Nature Miracle Seed
Aerial Ace
Giga drain
leaf blade
toxic

Honestly can't learn anything better. Its okay.

Emboar 61
Timid Nature Quick claw
Stone Edge
Hammer Arm
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Its alright. Maybe replace Flamethrower with a physical attack if you'd like but making it go mixed could be useful. Give it TM Scald if you want as its a water attack and is useful on a fire type.

Samurott 59
Timid Nature mystic water
Slash
Surf
Aerial Ace
Dig

Arial Ace has got to go. Way too weak. Slash needs to go too. Its not that great as its just a normal type move. Dig should be upgraded to a stronger move later on but its good for now.

Galvantula 60
Brave Nature Magnet
Thunder bolt
Electro web
bug buzz
slash

Give it Thunder if it has Compound Eyes ability. That ups the accuracy of Thunder. If not keep Tbolt. Get rid of slash it has horrid attack stats. Electroweb should go. You already have a btter electric move. Its redundant.

Unfezant 48
Sassy Nature Exp Share (Rock helmet or Float Stone) for later
Air Slash
Steel wing
Fly
Detect

Okay its your Fly slave I guess. Honestly I don't think it learns anything better. Seems "meh" though. Steel and flying attacks don't cover much.

Krookodile 59
Relaxed Nature soft sand
Grass knot
Slugde bomb
Crunch
Earthquake
Get rid of Sludge Bomb and Grass Knot now. It has horrid Special Attack. You might as well use a Magickarp if you wanna give it Special Moves as the two would do similar damage. (Okay I'm exaggerating but I hope you get the point.) Crunch and Earthquake are great for it. Keep em.

Alright, so, i finally got Pokemon White, took me long enough!

I have 5 Badges and i just got done climbing the celestial tower, this game is awesome with a very interesting storyline.

My Team

Emboar Level 38
Sigilyph Level 36
Sawsbuck Level 39

I just fell in love with Sawsbuck, i attached a lucky egg on him, that's why he's leveling so damn fast. Yea, i was considering adding another pokemon, i hate training 6 Pokemon, i usually stick with 3-4, but i might add one more, hopefully i see some more interesting Pokemon during my journey.

Can't wait to ev/iv train lol.

After i'm done with B/W i'm going to start playing HG, which i never played yet, haha.

breh

強いだね
HG was fun but that's for another topic.

also, I take it you did not use the monkey? I hope I'm not the only person stubborn enough to grind their Tepig to a Pignite.

HG was fun but that's for another topic.

also, I take it you did not use the monkey? I hope I'm not the only person stubborn enough to grind their Tepig to a Pignite.
What monkey? The three monkey dudes (Water, Fire, Grass)Nah, i didn't use the Grass one, i wasn't really feeling him so i dumped him in the PC. Also, my Pignite evolved before i faced the first gym, so yea. I was using other Pokemon along the way, like throh, but i dumped him in the pc because it felt weird having two fighting types on the same team, i want to be diverse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)