Winter Wonderland!

As you may have guessed, this is a Hail team. I've been trying it on PO, and while I've gotten a few wins, 2 losses from misclicks, and a lot of forfeits. and considering I'm not the greatest ever at this, I could use some pointers on how I could change my team.

AT A GLANCE

IN DEPTH

Abomasnow (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Att
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Attract
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball

My hail starter, every team needs one, no? Unfortunately, while holding a Focus Sash, I can't invest in either Health, nor defenses, and I need the lowest speed possible to ensure Hail is set
up when leading against other weather starters. Attract, in the PO style, where nobody bothers to change genders, and all pokemon are male works as a better attract, without the speed drop. And I think very few people really view Attracts 50% no move rate in the greatness it should
be.So, Basically, Attract either offers me a free switch out,or my opponent is stuck trying to take me out with a 50% failure rate. Moving away from Attract, Blizzard and Energy Ball are for STAB and Coverage. Ice Shard is mainly filller, but useful to do some decent damage while abomasnow is on his last legs, or against special walls who see I have blizzard and energy ball and try to wall me.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash

A Revenge Killer. Low Kick has OHKO'd several Tyrannitars in the past, and severely damaging Bulky T-Tars.Low Kick also OHKO's Heatran, And Ice Shard does very strong damage to nearly every dragon.X-scissor rarely get's use, as Night Slash does the same coverage with STAB, I don't run Weavile becuase Weavile barely ever stays in more than a turn anyway.

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SPAtt
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Mostly Seen on Sand Teams, this giant Amoeba (I think it is) Can cause some serious hurt. Pretty standard, but HP Ground is there to cover my teams biggest weakness, Fire/Rock/Steel Pokemon. Because while I may have Chandelure, It's Quite frail, and can't switch in to rock moves. Also HP Ground does quite a hefty amount to most Fire types, as well as most Rock and Steel types, many are hit for super-effective damage.Most of the EVs in Defense because Reuniclus can boost up his Sp.Defense, and then HP because he has a hell of a lot of it, an then the leftovers in Sp.Attack to make the moves hurt slightly more. haven't used him too much, but hasn't let me down so far.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 196 HP / 248 Def / 64 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray

Turns out my Tentacruel set just sucked.Toxic Spikes is All I need for My upcoming Pokemon to work fluently, and Rapid spin is there because Tenta is a rapid spinner.Confuse Ray is always a fun move to use, and Acid Spray is so I don't get taunted. Acid Spray isn't even for damage, it's to force sitches considering it works as a pseudo nasty plot, in terms of the opponents Sp.Defense is reduced 2 stages.Toxic Spikes, is my hazard, the only one on my team, but in reality, it's the only one I need.Even one layer of TS brings my next pokemon ready to bring the hurt out....

Glaceon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 116 HP / 176 Def / 28 SAtk / 188 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

Glaceon. Running a Stallrein set of sorts, Glaceon can Stall an opponent until the Toxic Spikes finally kills them off.Blizzard is For STAB And so I don't get taunted, and Sub And Protect are what keep Glaceon stallin'.Please do not tell me to replace her with Walrein because I hate alrein with a passion, and I don't believe walrein is any better at this role than Glaceon. because while glaceon has less Base HP than Walrein, she hashigher defenses, on top of a much higher special attack which IMO, equal out in the end.

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Every hail team needs a Fire absorber, correct? absorbs with flash fire, and can proceed to sweep with either fire blast or another move. I don't really like Fire blast accuracy, but it has given me some wins when flamethrower probably would have not.Not much else to say about Chandy, except that he is easily one of the top members of my team, absorbing hits that would kill most of my team.

Hmm, a couple of issues.

1. with attract on Abomasnow, its useless unless the other pokemon is male, i would say EQ for coverage on steel types. Or you can do like I do and put specs on him and max out blizzards power.

2. Charm can be replaced on wallrein for a protect. Gives you a free turn for the other player to lose HP while you gain it. Same with curse on Glaceon .

3. Weavil can be replaced with a Mamoswine. It can be a much better revenge killer and gets a 20% boosted evasion in hail. Look up some movesets on Smogon and see if you wanna make a change.

4. Your team has no pokemon with rapid spin and rocks would take out 25% of most of your pokemon's HP. That's a huge issue. Tentacrule is used alot because he resists fire and fighting attacks (although i like what you did with Chandelure, never seen it used like that before) maybe replace Haxorus? Plus tenta can use toxic spikes :) I know you said it didnt work but really, you kinda need it

Thats a few of the big issues to work on for now. I would look up other types of hail teams on here and look at feed back they give. Overall, it needs work but with some revision it can be great :)

Hmm, a couple of issues.

1. with attract on Abomasnow, its useless unless the other pokemon is male, i would say EQ for coverage on steel types. Or you can do like I do and put specs on him and max out blizzards power.
Well, since I'm playing on PO, 95% of the pokemon there are male, so Attract works really well.

2. Charm can be replaced on wallrein for a protect. Gives you a free turn for the other player to lose HP while you gain it. Same with curse on Glaceon .
I agree with Glaceon, but again, When facing a Physical sweeper, it drastically lowers it's attack to where a super-effective hit can sometimes not even break a substitute.

3. Weavil can be replaced with a Mamoswine. It can be a much better revenge killer and gets a 20% boosted evasion in hail. Look up some movesets on Smogon and see if you wanna make a change.
That does seem like a good idea, I'll study up some good movesets.

4. Your team has no pokemon with rapid spin and rocks would take out 25% of most of your pokemon's HP. That's a huge issue. Tentacrule is used alot because he resists fire and fighting attacks (although i like what you did with Chandelure, never seen it used like that before) maybe replace Haxorus? Plus tenta can use toxic spikes :) I know you said it didnt work but really, you kinda need it

Thats a few of the big issues to work on for now. I would look up other types of hail teams on here and look at feed back they give. Overall, it needs work but with some revision it can be great :)
And I do agree how I have a large SR weakness, I guess I can try Tentacruel again, maybe i just had a bad moveset. Hows This, it was my set last time when I tried him:

EVs:
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Magic Coat
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Barrier

I agree with Glaceon, but again, When facing a Physical sweeper, it drastically lowers it's attack to where a super-effective hit can sometimes not even break a substitute.
Yes, but a simple switch out undoes all the turns you used charm. You could use stockpile to raise def and spec. def but that can be roared away easily. Walrein is famous for the sub, hail and protect combo cuz with leftovers and ice body it regains the hp it used to make a sub over just 2 turns. (first turn sub, second turn protect) meaning it can stall about 2 pokemon to death with just hail damage (which is about 32 turns). Tossing in toxic spikes from tentacrule and useing superfang sometimes can do alot of damage.

And I do agree how I have a large SR weakness, I guess I can try Tentacruel again, maybe i just had a bad moveset. Hows This, it was my set last time when I tried him:

EVs:
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Magic Coat
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Barrier
hmm, giving him hidden power eletirc would help agasit bulky waters and make it so your not stuck useing rapid spin if they taunt you. I run a hail team too (i will post it later when i stop being lazy) I basically just use it to spin if needed and to set up toxic spikes, then it is just a wall for pesky fire and fighting types. I have tried a rest talk version

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Sleep Talk

Of course this does poop after spikes are set but its a good wall/stall while hail and toxic spikes do their job. Black Sludge makes trick users think twice before stealing your item. Its okay, fails under taunt, but its good other than that.

I agree, tentacruel works very well on this team. i was wondering why you were running 228 HP ev on abomasnow if your running sash anyway. no matter how much bulk you add he will still be 2hit ko with the sash, so why not add more ev's to speed?

As you may have guessed, this is a Hail team. I've been trying it on PO, and while I've gotten a few wins, 2 losses from misclicks, and a lot of forfeits. and considering I'm not the greatest ever at this, I could use some pointers on how I could change my team.

EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Attract
- Leech Seed
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
Run wood hammer over energy ball and Ice shard over attract, noone uses attract.
Hail Starter, Attract is extremely useful when I predict a non attacking move first, then I can potentially sweep at least a little. Leech Seed is mainly filler, and the majority of pokemon I can endure a hit with Focus Sash, then return OHKO with Blizzard/Energy Ball, otherwise I switch out.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
Swords dance over x-scissor, bb + night slash covers that
Sweeper/Revenge Killer, not really a whole lot to say about it.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 156 HP / 132 Def / 220 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Charm
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Super Fang
lolcharm Use protect to stall and get more from ice body
Slightly edited Stallrein. Substitute for status evasion, Toxic & Super Fang For Damage Dealing, And Charm for overall amazingness, as it saved my ass multiple times, because apparently, people refuse to call back their physical sweeper after it's attack is lowered.

Haxorus (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
LOL! why you have x-scissor on this is beyond me. Run a DD set with lum berry. Same EV spread.
I originally added this to my team to try and counter other weather teams, because I thought Mold Breaker could deactivate Swift Swim/Sand Rush, but they apparently don't, so it's more of simply a Non-ice type physical sweeper.Choice Scarf allows it to outrun non scarfed 100 base speeds(I think) Sweeps fire type sweepers trying to ruin my fun.

Glaceon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 176 Def / 108 SAtk / 188 SDef
- Blizzard
- Curse
- Wish
- Mirror Coat
No one uses glaceon either, use frosslass.

While This is different than the usual glaceon, but with te following EVs, reaches 300 in both defense stats, making it more of a tank-esque pokemon. Mirror coat has saved my life on so very many occasions, Wish heals HP, and Blizzard for constant damage. Looking for a move to replace Curse, as it's really mainly a waste of a spot.

- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
Not every team needs a fire absorbed. I suggest changing chandy and making this team UU.
Every ail team needs a Fire absorber, correct? absorbs with flash fire, and can proceed to sweep with either fire blast or another move. I don't really like Fire blast accuracy, but it has given me some wins when flamethrower probably would have not.

So, What do you think? My main problem with this team is that it has no spinner, but there really aren't any pokemon I've seen that can spin and fit on my team, because Tentacruel didn't fit well when I tried it.
Take out shandera and replace with a UU fire type, and a replacement for haxorus, and this team can work in UU. Changes in bold.

This team is desperately weak to Terrakion. After a Rock Polish, it will outspeed and OHKO everything in your team. In general, your team is extremely vulnerable to Rock attacks as you have 5 Pokemon weak to it and nothing resisting it. Glaceon feels like the weakest link here, may I suggest you replace with Donphan? It has the ability to set up Stealth Rock, as well as spin it away which would be incredibly useful as Stealth Rock will otherwise be the death of your team. It has that all important Rock resist, too.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rule #3 said:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.
You should expand your descriptions so potential raters can get a better look into how your team works and so the mods won't lock this under violation of Rule #3. With the limited descriptions you've given here, expect my rate to be just as limited.

Abomasnow: Attract is gimmicky. A SubSeeding or Scarfed set would work better here.

Weavile: Try Pursuit or Ice Punch over X-Scissor, because Night Slash covers what X-Scissor does.

Walrein: Protect over Charm, as Walrein's main counters are special attackers.

Haxorus: I think a defensive Heatran with Stealth Rock would do your team solid instead of Haxorus. Try the set I listed out:

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar

Glaceon: If you want a Blizzspammer, then try Kyurem over Glaceon. Kyurem has better defenses than Glaceon, and has access to better moves.

Chandelure: If you're going to follow my suggestion of replacing Haxorus with Heatran, then replace this with ConkelHURR. It stops opposing weather starters (namely Tyranitar) from ruining your game.

This hail team is missing quite a bit in order for it to be considered "viable" in the current state of OU. You're missing a Rapid Spinner, Tyranitar counter, and DroughtTales counter. My suggestion of Heatran alleviates the DroughtTales weakness while ConkelHURR removes the Tyranitar vulnerability. I don't know what to suggest for a spinner though.

Good luck with your Hail team, and have a nice day.

EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Attract
- Leech Seed
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball

Hail Starter, Attract is extremely useful when I predict a non attacking move first, then I can potentially sweep at least a little. Leech Seed is mainly filler, and the majority of pokemon I can endure a hit with Focus Sash, then return OHKO with Blizzard/Energy Ball, otherwise I switch out.
If you're going to invest in bulk, why bother with a Focus Sash? Attract is essentially a poor man's paralysis, as well. Protect or Substitute is infinitely superior to Attract. Use one of those. I'd also recommend Giga Drain over Energy Ball to help beat bulky pokemon and to keep Abomasnow alive in weather wars.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash

Sweeper/Revenge Killer, not really a whole lot to say about it.
You could try a Mamoswine here. It is not as fast, but it can revenge kill due to Ice Shard's priority. It is bulkier, has slightly higher attack, better STABs, and superior typing. Superior in that it is not weak to Rock, which your team is horribly weak to, and with Thick Fat is also not weak to Fire. Alternatively, you could run Snow Cloak to abuse the Hail with.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 156 HP / 132 Def / 220 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Charm
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Super Fang

Slightly edited Stallrein. Substitute for status evasion, Toxic & Super Fang For Damage Dealing, And Charm for overall amazingness, as it saved my ass multiple times, because apparently, people refuse to call back their physical sweeper after it's attack is lowered.
Stallrein is not near as effective without Protect, it's a superior option over any of your current moves, bar Substitute. If you are playing Dream World, a Regice could work over Walrein. Regice is a great deal bulkier specially, and without the Electric and Grass weakness that are troublesome, it has better offensive power and coverage, and a few unique options like Psych Up.

Haxorus (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

I originally added this to my team to try and counter other weather teams, because I thought Mold Breaker could deactivate Swift Swim/Sand Rush, but they apparently don't, so it's more of simply a Non-ice type physical sweeper.Choice Scarf allows it to outrun non scarfed 100 base speeds(I think) Sweeps fire type sweepers trying to ruin my fun.
A couple notes. #1, Mold Breaker only cancels abilities that would affect how the opposing Pokemon would be hit by your attacks (i.e, Levitate, Battle Armor, etc). Also, X-Scissor and Rock Slide are largely pointless. The only thing that resists your Dragon STAB and Earthquake is Skarmory, who you can't touch anyway. Run Dragon Claw at the very least so that Haxxy can use it's Dragon STAB without being locked and revenge killed. The other redundant attack can stay I guess, although something like Dual Chop to hit through Subs would be more useful.

Glaceon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 176 Def / 108 SAtk / 188 SDef
- Blizzard
- Curse
- Wish
- Mirror Coat

While This is different than the usual glaceon, but with te following EVs, reaches 300 in both defense stats, making it more of a tank-esque pokemon. Mirror coat has saved my life on so very many occasions, Wish heals HP, and Blizzard for constant damage. Looking for a move to replace Curse, as it's really mainly a waste of a spot.
Fine I guess, but this slot is probably better served by something else, as your team is missing... well most of the things any decent Hail team needs. For the sake of this set, a Hidden Power or even Water Pulse or Protect would work over Curse.

- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Every ail team needs a Fire absorber, correct? absorbs with flash fire, and can proceed to sweep with either fire blast or another move. I don't really like Fire blast accuracy, but it has given me some wins when flamethrower probably would have not.
A good option. Immunity to Fire AND Fighting, as well as a resistance to Steel makes it mix well with Ice types. Normally, Psychic is a great option (in this case anyway) to nail Fighting-types, and unexpected, but HP Fighting is something to consider to deal with enemy Tyranitars.

So, What do you think? My main problem with this team is that it has no spinner, but there really aren't any pokemon I've seen that can spin and fit on my team, because Tentacruel didn't fit well when I tried it.

-Spinners
Starmie and Hitmontop are also acceptable spinners. Tentacruel is still the best spinner for Hail teams due to access to Toxic Spikes, as well as the very underrated Knock Off (which will strip enemy walls of their Lefties, which is insanely helpful). Starmie however, works in a similar manner, and has a few advantages over Tentacruel. Hitmontop doesn't last as long as the other two, but it does provide a Rock resist, which your team desperately needs. Forretress is another solid option; it doesn't provide any resists you need, but it is bulky, is immune to Hail via Overcoat, and can set entry hazards, and on that note...

-Entry Hazards
Yes, your team needs them. Hail teams need to rack up passive damage, Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes in particular are helpful. If at all possible, try to run both.

Type resists
-Hail teams should never run more than two Ice-types outside of Abomasnow, for a good reason. Ice is an awful type defensively, and you will be slaughtered by Rock, Fighting, and Fire type attacks, which are rather common. Those pokemon that do carry Steel type attacks are not as common, but are also deadly. You seem to have Fire covered pretty well, but the other types are not covered well enough. In particular, Rock.

Seriously. Get a Rock resist, if nothing else. A Swampert over Glaceon would not only provide you with Stealth Rock support, but also a Rock, Steel, and Fire resist. Chandelure can't take beating from everything. Also, while you may be a team packed with Ice attacks, it is still a good idea to carry a Steel type for Dragons. Suggesting Forretress for Spin support, Toxic Spikes/Spikes, and the Dragon resist over Haxorus.

Having Focus Sash on Abomasnow has no bearing on needing low defenses, if anything you need to keep Abomasnow alive as much as possible since it allows more opportunities to change the weather. Swap it for leftovers or something that actually keeps it alive to ward off enemy weather.

On Weavile, remove X-Scissor for Ice Punch. Despite being redundant coverage, a secondary, more powerful STAB is required to KO stuff like Hippowdon, Gliscor at full health, Zapdos/Togekiss/other bulky flyers, etc. It's like the assault rifle to Ice Shard's pistol.

Last thing: The use of HP Ground is a pretty novel idea for Jirachi, I can give you that. However, the EVs on Glaceon seem a little weird, could you tell me where you got that from? I'm not very used to custom EV sets...

Having Focus Sash on Abomasnow has no bearing on needing low defenses, if anything you need to keep Abomasnow alive as much as possible since it allows more opportunities to change the weather. Swap it for leftovers or something that actually keeps it alive to ward off enemy weather.
Well that's possible, but if I swap leftovers, then Abomasnow still dies from one of it's many weaknesses, all of which will be the most likely attack, and are all very common. Focus Sash allows it to survive at least 1 attack that would kill it.

On Weavile, remove X-Scissor for Ice Punch. Despite being redundant coverage, a secondary, more powerful STAB is required to KO stuff like Hippowdon, Gliscor at full health, Zapdos/Togekiss/other bulky flyers, etc. It's like the assault rifle to Ice Shard's pistol.
Good Point, I'll run that over X-scissor.

Last thing: The use of HP Ground is a pretty novel idea for Jirachi, I can give you that. However, the EVs on Glaceon seem a little weird, could you tell me where you got that from? I'm not very used to custom EV sets...
The EVs on Glaceon are somewhat random, I agree, but the EV spread has both of Glaceons Defenses as well as HP all hit 300. Then I just stuck the leftovers in Sp.Attack.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tyranitar can ohko/2hko every single pokemon on this team. Probably fit a gliscor in there or something, the pokemon probably most easily replaced would be the reuniclus. you can run a roost/protect set to still keep toxic stalling, or even a sd set could work here. just an option

Tyranitar can ohko/2hko every single pokemon on this team. Probably fit a gliscor in there or something, the pokemon probably most easily replaced would be the reuniclus. you can run a roost/protect set to still keep toxic stalling, or even a sd set could work here. just an option
He can OHKO or 2HKO my entire team, but both Weavile and reuniclus, and Possibly glaceon can all OHKO T-Tar with Low Kick/Ice Punch, HP Ground and blizzard respectively, so T-Tar isn't an issue.

In a related note, I did slightly change abomasnow.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Weavile yeah but he won't be switching in and tar won't stay in on him. Reun has to be set up already or he'll lose. And I don't believe Blizzard will be doing enough damage to 2hko especially when there's an increased chance in it missing due to Sandstream in play and not Hail.

yes, you need a rock resist and rapid spinner, otherwise any team with those will cause problems. try hitmontop, he does both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)