Thugs in the Sand

Introduction:

Hi guys and welcome to my first RMT. Just saying this first, I'm not much of a writer so sorry if my descriptions aren't that... descriptive. I've wanted to make a team based around Scrafty 'cos thug so I did and now I've come here for further help on this team. Ok now for the team.

At a Glance:

In Depth:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 24 SAtk / 200 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Superpower​

I basically chose Tyranitar to be a Sp def wall and to set up Stealth Rock. The beauty of this team is that it doesn't rely on sand so if Tyranitar is gone it wouldn't be as disastrous as on other Sand teams. Crunch is just the basic STAB that KOs a lot of common mons such as Latios, Espeon, Deoxys, etc. Fire Blast is for those annoying Ferrothorns. And lasty, Superpower is for other Tyranitars and Heatran.​

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird​

When building this team I found that Skarmory can wall a lot of mons that give Scrafty trouble such as Conkeldurr, Excadrill, and Staraptor which is why I chose Skarmory. I found it to be extremely helpful in the team not just as a wall but as a phazer and capability to set up Spikes.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick​

I chose scarf Rotom-W to be my revenge killer as well as a mon to cripple opposing walls with Trick. Volt Switch allows me to scout and Hydro Pump to kill off Gliscors. Even though this is not a bulky set I was suprised by the hits it could take, easily taking a Rock Slide from an unboosted Excadrill and then killing it off with Hydro Pump. I also switch into this on mons that try to use Trick or Encore on Scrafty.​

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Celebi has been amazing. It easily counters common mons like Politoed, Rotom-W, and Jellicent and with Celebi's ability it has no fear of status inducers that poor Moxie Scrafty is so this is a great mon to switch to in that kind of situation. Alone as a sweeper, Celebi does great healling off damage with Giga Drain and Recover. Also having HP Fire to take on Ferrothorn.​

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost​

Bulky SD Scizor is a life saver. I mostly chose Scizor because I needed a mon with a priority move and something bulky to take hits. Unboosted Bullet Punch always helps in a pinch to take out sweepers that are low on health that would otherwise sweep my team. If Tyranitar is out this mon can be used to take on Latios and Reuniclus with Bug Bite and healing off any damage with Roost.​

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch​

The star of the team. Scrafty is indeed an amazing sweeper with access to Moxie and Dragon Dance. Drain Punch is not as powerful as Hi Jump Kick but I needed a move that can heal off the damage it takes from Life Orb and the Sandstorm. Crunch is the main STAB move that 1HKOs a lot of mons after a couple boosts from Moxie. Ice Punch is for more coverage and to take on Flying types.​

Conclusion:

Thanks for taking the time to read this RMT. I would love some feedback so don't be afraid to post :D.

I would switch out Crunch for Pursuit, in case you switch in on a Gengar or something and you could hit them with the pursuit in case they are trying to leave.

And as for scrafty, I would change cruch for Stone Edge because you don't need crunch for the STAB because DD is the BOMB anyways. :P

Hi there, nice team. Fried Rhys already pointed out that you're a bit weak to Volcarona so I'm agreeing with him and saying that you should use Rock Slide on Tyranitar. Also, to make Tyranitar more efficient, you might want to try out a spread of 252 HP / 64 Atk / 44 SpAtk / 148 SpDef; It's just a variation of the approved set leaning towards Attack, which you tend to be using more. You also might want to try Leftovers over Chople Berry to increase its overall longevity and giving it the ability to take Draco Meteor from Latios better.

You also might want to try out Hidden Power Ice on Celebi to hit any stray Dragon-types on the switch in, as well as any genies. This leaves you more open to Scizor but its handled quite nicely by Rotom-W. You're also a bit open to Ferrothorn, with your only option against it being Skarmory, who can't really do anything back, and Tyranitar can't come in on a Power Whip. Thus, it might be a good idea to switch your set on Scizor to 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SpDef, giving it a Choice Band, and giving it U-turn | Superpower | Bullet Punch | Pursuit, giving you both a check to Ferrothorn (Superpower 2HKOs) and a nice trapper for Latios and Latias. U-turn also helps it owrk with Rotom-W to rack up Spikes damage for Scraggy.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for the feedback NatGeo, I'll try that out. Also what move should I get rid of on Tyranitar so I can add Rock Slide?

The team still has problems with coming in on Latios as most Latios carry Hidden Power Fire. Instead of CB Scizor you could try a specially defensive Jirachi. It works just as well at beating opposing Reuniclus and a good way to keep Gengar in check. Since the only way of dealing with Thundurus in this team is Scarf Rotom-W, Jirachi would also give you a 60% chance of also paralyzing Thundurus. Here's the set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers -- Serene Grace
Nature: Careful - EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
- Body Slam
- Protect
- Wish
- Iron Head

Next, losing Scizor will lose you your priority Bullet Punch. Which can be very crucial against beating opposing Terrakion. I suggest replacing Scrafty for Conkeldurr. Mach Punch will allow you to revenge not only Terrakion better, but also Excadrill. Conkeldurr can also pose as a good enough stall breaker once you have opposing Gliscors weakened. A Bulk Up + Payback will do about 40% to opposing Gliscor as they Taunt you. So you can take that as advantage. Conkeldurr also has that great Guts boost when status'd. So it's definitely an optional choice. Here's the set:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers -- Guts
Nature: Adamant - EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Drain Punch

Try it out. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback NatGeo, I'll try that out. Also what move should I get rid of on Tyranitar so I can add Rock Slide?
If you wish to use Rock Slide, then you would have to replace Superpower. The biggest reason for having Superpower would be to KO opposing Tyranitar leads, Superpower predictable Terrakion switch, or just dealing heavy damage to Fighting weak Pokemon like Blissey/Chansey. With Fire Blast, you already have Ferrothorn covered.

Thanks for the feedback, Eternal. With Scrafty gone the team would no longer be thuggin' but I see how those suggestions make sense. And with Conkeldurr I might as well get rid of Celebi for CM Virizion since Conkeldurr doesn't fear status inducers with his Guts ability.

Thanks for the feedback, Eternal. With Scrafty gone the team would no longer be thuggin' but I see how those suggestions make sense. And with Conkeldurr I might as well get rid of Celebi for CM Virizion since Conkeldurr doesn't fear status inducers with his Guts ability.
You could do that, but Celebi is better at handling rain teams with priority Recover.

You could do that, but Celebi is better at handling rain teams with priority Recover.
Thinking about Thundurus too much, bro?

That said, Celebi handles Conk as well as other Fighting-types, which can ram right through your team. Virizion will only bring a higher Speed stat (which won't really come into any use most of the time, given that you have Skarmory and Scizor (Jirachi) to tackle fast threats with) and the ability to down most Steels without the use of Hidden Power. Celebi is definitely the superior option for this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)