Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?
Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78983
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340

How can I view an alphabetical listing of all the Pokemon threads?
Click here.

Can we breed Dream World Abilities?
From the research thread:
CONFIRMED Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It is unknown whether Ditto counts as the female for this purpose, and we won't know until DW Ditto is released. (Maverick Hunter, 0mastar\The Shadow Knight)
Can you use Rotom's alternate forms over WiFi?
Yes.

Why can't I select a Pokémon to replace a fainted in a Pokémon in a Triple Battle?
First you have to select which Pokémon you want to have replaced. If multiple Pokémon fainted, the game doesn't know which Pokémon you want on which position. So what you have to do is first select one of your fainted pokemon, and then select which unfainted pokemon you want to replace it with. (Thanks Chieliee)

The old SQSA thread can be found here.

Hey guys, quick question. I usually lead with an Infernape with Stealth rock/ fake out/ CC/ fire blast. And was wondering what the EV spread I should have on him should be. Right now I'm using a Naive nature and 252 Atk/ 4 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed and was wondering if I should change that to better dish out special hits on bulky physical leads. So what Ev spread should I use?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would focus on Special Attack over Attack. Surviving a hit with Focus Sash activates Blaze, boosting the power of Fire Blast. The 4th generation analysis suggests 64 Atk/252 SpA/192 Speed with a Hasty/Naive nature. This should still work in 5th gen.

For one, don't use Fake Out.

Gliscor, the most common physical wall (aside from Ferro, who obviously dies to Fire Blast), is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast with 4 EV's. Even with 252 Sp.Atk EV's, it's still not a OHKO. You probably still want to invest some more in Sp.Atk, but just try something out and see how it works

EDIT: Ninja'd :(

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As an addendum, Infernape has a chance to OHKO Gliscor with Blaze Fire Blast if it takes an Earthquake while setting up Stealth Rock (90.11% - 106.21%). However, I do agree with Chieliee about Fake Out. Dedicated leads are rare in 5th gen so you do not have to worry as much about Focus Sash. Grass Knot (for Jellicent) or Mach Punch (for Excadrill) may be better options. In retrospect it is probably a good idea to keep max Speed. It at least gives you a chance of KOing Terrakion with Close Combat if you win the speed tie.

It depends on how your team is constructed and what you need Infernape to do. However I would first suggest a slightly different moveset of:

Stealth Rock
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Mach Punch

Mach Punch gives you a much better priority attack and is the more powerful and versatile move in most situations. Remember Infernape doesn't always have to lead and Mach Punch still lets you get rid of Focus Sash leads if you do decide to lead with him.

I recommend keeping the EV spread you already have as it ensures an OHKO on Tyranitar as well as still 2HKOing Gliscor with Fire Blast after SR. It also gets the 2HKO on Politoed and ScarfToed can be killed by CC and then Mach Punch (assuming you have a Focus Sash). This is really helpful at the start of a match if your team is weather based. I don't think shifting EVs into SpAtk will achieve any important OHKOs as most threats hit hard by Fire Blast such as Ferro and Scizor are always OHKOed anyway and Infernape needs the full Attack EVs to ensure 2HKOs on Politoed. You will never OHKO Gliscor without Life Orb even with Blaze so SpAtk investment isn't needed imo.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
4 Attack EV Infernape always OHKOs max HP Tyranitar so that isn't much of an issue (122.77% - 145.54%). Both spreads can only 2HKO Tyranitar if it holds a Chople Berry. Defensive Polited (using the spread the current 5th gen analysis suggests) is not 2HKOed by max Attack Close Combat (37.76% - 44.79%). Offensive Politoed are obviously 2HKOed but Scarf outspends and OHKOs regardless. Infernape comes out on top if met with a lead Specs Politoed.

This turned out to be a bit more than a simple answer but it doesn't hurt to be informed when making your decision. Good luck!

252 Attack EVs also ensures that CC and Mach will KO Scarf Toed, another important benchmark.

It helps in this weather dominated meta to be able to reliably kill both Ttar and Toed guaranteed if that is indeed a consideration for benjamin and Infernape cannot do that without the Attack investment while still hitting the things he needs to hit on the special side.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I have tried three different damage calculators and they all give me 76.24% - 90.59% for max Attack (307) Close Combat vs 252 HP (404/256) Chople Tyranitar. I'm not sure what damage calculator you are using but something is obviously wrong.

Max Attack does not guarantee a KO on Scarf Politoed. Close Combat deals 66.15% - 78.26% while Mach Punch deals 22.36% - 26.40%. That adds up to 88% - 104%. You have a chance to KO it but more likely than not you won't.

It seems that neither spread has definitive advantages over the other. Like Chieliee posted earlier, it might just be best to test it out for yourself.

Yup scratch that, my calculations were with Life Orb. Didn't notice because I closed it down and opened it back up! So do what you want with the EVs lol :P

However Attack is still important for the CC and Mach Punch 1-2 on Scarf Toed and CC is a better main attack than Fire Blast I have found so that would still be my advice, despite my dodgey calculations... :(

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Though to be fair, stellar, with Stealth Rock down that is a 100% chance to KO Scarf Politoed. And Spikes and Stealth Rock are ubiquitous thanks to the ease of setting down hazards this gen.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
He wanted EVs with respect to leads. All my calculations were done with the assumption that the opponent is using Politoed in the lead position.

damn i was scared when i saw the other one was closed lol but now to the real question i saw that one of the EV raising items you know the Power Band and such one of them promotes speed but it also says it decreases speed WTF can somebody explain please

Stellar

of the Distant Past
It halves the Pokémon's Speed stat in battle but gives the Pokémon 4 Speed EVs when it defeats a Pokémon.

(Forum Question) For whatever reason I can't find the "Manage Attachments" option when I post (to post an image). Am I not able to post images, or is this option somewhere I don't notice?

Edit: Thanks stellar! :D

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yes,Giratina-O can be used on wifi just not on random match-ups for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all the help on this guys! thats alot more replies than I was expecting lol. I think Im gonna go with mach punch over fake out and a 192 Atk/ 64 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed. Max speed to help against the musketeers. I am still walled by the jelli tho :(

I read about people fighting over Adamant or Jolly in the Mamoswine thread, and I currently used a Scarfed Adamant Mamo with Icicle Spear/EQ/Superpower/Stone Edge. My question is, does Jolly matter at all when you're already Scarfed?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
jolly lets you outspeed base 130s (jolteon and aerodactyl). but unles your playing uu, that doesnt matter. so adamant is better

I've been working on a baton pass team (This is for the Battle Subway btw) and I've been conflicted between meinshao and musharna.

Meishao - modest - 252 SpA / 252 Spe w/ Aura Sphere/ Calm Mind / Hidden Power ?? /Baton Pass

Musharna - bold - Baton Pass / Stored Power / Moonlight / Shadow ball

Meinshao can hit faster and has regenerator but Musharna can tank better and has stored power.

Which of the two would be a better choice?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Which Pokémon are you Baton Passing to? You might also consider Substitute on Mienshao; with Regnerator it can recover the HP loss from Substitute after using Baton Pass.

Which Pokémon are you Baton Passing to? You might also consider Substitute on Mienshao; with Regnerator it can recover the HP loss from Substitute after using Baton Pass.
I'm using a smeargle as a lead w/ BP / Spore / Ingrain and the fourth slot substitute or aqua ring.

If substitute for smeargle, then Hidden power for meinshao's 4th slot and if aqua ring instead of substitute, sub for meinshao's 4th slot a good plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)