2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Championship and some European leagues about to get underway it is probably time to get a new thread for a new season (nobody cares about SPL).

Season Kick-Offs:

German Bundesliga - August 5th
Dutch Eredivisie - August 6th
French Ligue 1 - August 6th
English Premier League - August 13th
Spanish La Liga - August 21th
Italian Serie A - August 27th

Also if you haven't joined fantasy premier league you can join herehttp://fantasy.premierleague.com/ The League Codes are:
Classic: 4916-2786
H2H: 4916-235125

If you would like to discuss football on a more personal basis you can chat in #soccer on synirc server (yeah I know about the name, don't want to confuse americans)

PS. Liverpool fanboyism like nosferalto's and Man U fanboyism like phalanx's are discouraged however Man City hate is very much welcome xD.

Blackpool vs Hull City coming up. I'm excited to see how Blackpool play with the recent changes to their squad.

ahahahaah jimmy bullard.. i'm sure he's taking the piss... surely?

gonna watch hull vs. blackpool now \o/

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
gary taylor-fletcher must be on of the least athletic looking footballers to be in the top 2 leagues...

yay blackpool :D
Manchester United 6-0 New York Cosmos - Paul Scholes Testimonial
Barcelona 1-4 Chivas Guadalajara O.O LOL

Bundesliga already started today (5th), btw. Dortmund won 3-1 vs Hamburg (BVB is keeping it real).

Gotta wait for the Turkish league for another month since like half of the teams are accused of cheating.

What's that H2H fantasy thingy? What's different from the normal one? (I joined both).

I like how United fans feel the need to keep pointing out Barcelona's two pre-season losses(Chivas and Man United), while conveniently missing out the point that their two best players(Xavi and Messi) and half their first team have been out of those games. Still crying about the Champions league humiliation.

Yes phalanx, even the best team in the world and possibly ever use pre-seaspn games as a warm-up...
Slur alex woulf be extremely worried if those games were actually serious after conceding 8 (yes 8) against marseille

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
league winner predictions, with my preferred picks too

Primeira Liga - Porto (Benfica)
Bundesliga - Bayern Munich (Dortmund since St. Pauli dropped)
Eredivisie - Ajax (Ajax though i'm not really bothered)
Ligue 1 - Marseille (Lyon)
EPL - Chelsea (Arsenal)
La Liga - Real Madrid (Villarreal)
Serie A - Milan (Roma)

i'm not convinced that man city can win with no real system in place, and a manager who seemingly cares more about champions league success (you can probably trace this back to his firing at inter despite dominating domestically for years). liverpool aren't ready yet and i'm not fool enough to pick arsenal, so that leaves only two serious options.

united's signings have been very good . . . but despite eventually pulling through, i can't forget how unconvincing they were for most of last season. chelsea's success definitely rides on their old men not playing like old men (and a signing or two which i assume are coming soon), but in the end their squad is at least united's equal, so i'll tentatively back them to bounce back this year. plus villas-boas is the next great manager in world football!

"nuri sahin is superb", "mourinho's had a year to settle/is a genius", "i fucking despise barcelona" and many more valid reasons explain my bbva pick!

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Primeira - Benfica (DEATH TO GOUKI)
Bundesliga - Dortmund REPEAT
Eredivisie - Ajax
Ligue 1 - Lyon
EPL - Man U
La Liga - Barcelona (but go Valencia :((()
Serie A - Inter (realistically, but i want Napoli to win it)

gouki lose

This is cool:

Primera: porto (porto)
Bundesliga: bayern (bayern)
Eredivisie: ajax (ajax)
Ligue 1: marseille (psg)
EPL: man utd (liverpool)
La liga: barca (??? Prob barca even though I hate how they handled the fabregas situation)
Serie A: ac milan (roma)

Mine

Primeira Liga - Porto
Bundesliga - Bayern
Eredivisie - Ajax
Ligue 1 - PSG
EPL - Man U
La Liga - Barca
Serie A - Milan

Primeira Liga - dont give a shit
Bundesliga - dont give a shit
Eredivisie - dont give a shit
Ligue 1 - dont give a shit
EPL - Chelsea
La Liga - Barca
Serie A - dont give a shit

none of the other leagues really matter, right?

Primeira Liga - Porto (Porto)
Bundesliga - Dortmund (Schalke)
Eredivisie - Ajax (Ajax)
Ligue 1 - PSG (Lyon)
EPL - Man Utd (Chelsea)
La Liga - Barcelona (Villareal)
Serie A - Inter (AC Milan)

also joined the head to head league!

Just watched barca vs. Chivas and omg that marco guys goal's were out of this world. His bicycle kick makes rooney's goal in the manchester derby look like utter dog-shite

I like how United fans feel the need to keep pointing out Barcelona's two pre-season losses(Chivas and Man United), while conveniently missing out the point that their two best players(Xavi and Messi) and half their first team have been out of those games. Still crying about the Champions league humiliation.
For some reason I thought about this post during the match when some fat mexican kid in a man u jersey was cheering hysterically after one of the chivas goals. It was prob reyscarface
Off to watch chelsea vs rangers and then liverpool vs valencia. Looks exciting

People who feature in my championship fantasy football team: Buckley, Chopra.

Quite a few points coming in for me today then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)