Move 1: Sunny Day
Move 2: Fire Blast
Move 3: Air Slash
Move 4: Solarbeam
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252SpA/4Def/252Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set utilizes Charizard's DW ability, Solar Power, to wreak havoc on everything in it's path.
  • Leftovers allow Charizard to survive and take back half of the HP lost from Solar Power
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Life Orb can be used but it makes you lose a very large chunk of health per turn.
  • Lum Berry can be used to take T-waves or the odd Toxic.
  • Laying down entry hazards allows Charizard to OHKO almost all of the metagame
  • Uxie or another Sunny Day user gives Zard another avenue to exploit Solar Power.
  • Heat Rock allows Charizard to sweep for a longer period, while Life Orb adds even more power, but at the expense of longevity.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Fire Blast/ Overheat
move 2: Solarbeam
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
ability: Solar Power
nature: Modest/Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set should be used in the sun, as Charizard is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users without it.
  • Specs can be used to make Charizard becomes a fast, powerful, KO machine.
  • Choice Scarf makes it a powerful revenge killer and capable of taking out weakened teams late-game.
  • Fire Blast is the obligatory STAB move and deals out ridiculous damage. Overheat is better for the run-and-gun approach, with the 20 extra power, but with the downside of lowering your SpA 2 levels.
  • Focus Blast is to hit Rock types that would otherwise wall this set, OHKOing Regirock, has a 75% chance to OHKO Max HP/Min SpD Clefable, and easily 2HKO's Umbreon.
  • Air Slash is another STAB move that works great with Charizard's high Base Speed, with it's 30% flinch rate. It also eases prediction as a majority of UU is not resistant to Flying, while still dealing decent damage, especially with Specs.
  • Solarbeam in the sun checks almost everything that resists Charizard's Fire STAB, hitting the likes of Milotic, Slowbro, and Regirock for SE damage.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Once again, this set needs a spinner. Donphan works well as it resists Rock and is immune to Electric, two of Charizard's biggest weaknesses.
  • If Fire Blast's Accuracy scares you, Flamethrower is a more reliable, albeit weaker, choice.
  • Anything that can get rid of Milotic is a welcomed team-mate, as it is arguably the set's biggest problem. Air Slash is a 3HKO to Milotic however, and with it's flinch chance, you do actually have a decent chance of being able to beat it one-on-one.

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • A SubRoost set is viable with Charizard's decent defences.
  • Choice Band with FlareBlitz/Thunderpunch/Rockslide/Earthquake could be used.
  • Swords Dance and Dragon Dance are possible but due to Charizard's mediocre Attack and the prevalence of Bulky Waters the effectiveness is limited.
  • A Mix-Attacking set is possible.
  • Charizard is capable of Pseudo-Hazing with Dragon Tail, but it is outclassed by many in that role.
  • The classic BellyZard set is still an option. However, with Stealth Rocks and the lack of Salac Berry reduce the effectiveness of the set.
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
  • Bulky Waters take the prize as best Charizard counters.
  • Slowbro walls basically all sets without a SE move.
  • Priority attacks from the likes of Arcanine are the bane of BellyZard.
  • Without a Resist, the Specs set is harder to wall due to the huge power of Fire Blast.
  • Chansey walls all of the Special versions of Charizard.
  • Stealth Rocks is THE best counter for any Charizard set, instantly shredding 50% from the beast's health.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bellyzard seriously? That set is terribly difficult to set up, easily revenge killed by priority when it does set up. IIRC Salac berry is not released either, making the set totally useless. (edit- lol ninjad on that one)

Choice Scarf Charizard is probably the most effective set, as Solar Power is released, making it a total monster in the sun. You can quite possibly sweep an entire team with only Fire Blast. Choice Specs OHKOes virtually everything not 4x resistant or immune to Fire Blast (you can even OHKO Chansey if you use Overheat), which is also cool, but you will get outsped by stuff and will be forced out, which is not cool because you might have to switch into SR again, and it wastes a turn of Sun.

edit - sadly drought has been banned so you have to use sun supporters with heat rock unfortunately.

Bellyzard seriously? That set is terribly difficult to set up, easily revenge killed by priority when it does set up. IIRC Salac berry is not released either, making the set totally useless. (edit- lol ninjad on that one)

Choice Scarf Charizard is probably the most effective set, as Solar Power is released, making it a total monster in the sun. You can quite possibly sweep an entire team with only Fire Blast. Choice Specs OHKOes virtually everything not 4x resistant or immune to Fire Blast (you can even OHKO Chansey if you use Overheat), which is also cool, but you will get outsped by stuff and will be forced out, which is not cool because you might have to switch into SR again, and it wastes a turn of Sun.
Updated with CS in the sun the #1 set. Bellyzard is very difficult to set up but it can still work with proper support and with Charizard's immunities and resistances. Any choice'd user locked into EQ becomes set-up fodder.

Why the hell would anyone even consider Bellyzard now? Without Salac Berry, it's ridiculously easy to revenge kill, and all the other problems it has still carry over.

Would zard be a good choice to actually set up sunny day? The reason I bring this up is that it doesn't really need an item to be terrifying inder sun, so i couuld see it holding a heat rock and running Sunny Day + dual STAB and Solar Beam. Weather teams are often held back by the fact that they have to split resources to set up weather and then abuse it, so a set like that could be pretty helpful in team building.

So what I'm hearing is just scrap the BellyZard set totally? I mean I understand that it's terribly hard to set up and is very easily revenge killed. so I guess I'll take it out. And scoopapa yeah that does sound pretty decent actually. I'll put that up.

Life Orb Attacker with Sunny Day + 3 moves should be the main set. Charizard can effectively set up Sunny Day, Choice is just terrible due to the 4x Stealth Rock weakness, and get rid of BellyZard. Even in 4th gen it was gimmicky and this gen doesn't work at all. Solarbeam is actually viable with the only common weather being Hail. HP Grass is really weak, Solarbeam should be the first slash on the non-choiced set. Also, what does Hidden Power Electric hit? A resisted Fire Blast in the Sun boosted by Solar Power does more damage than a supereffective HP Electric IIRC. 202 BP vs. 140 BP. Fire Blast essentially gets triple STAB due to typing, sun, and solar power.

Vulpix is banned, so remove mentions of it for support. Mention teammates like Uxie who can reliably set up Sun, Crobat is a good supporter too. Bellyzard is horrible, remove it. It was horribly gimmicky last gen and is absolutely ineffective this gen. There should only be two sets up there, a set with Sunny Day and three attacks, and a Choice Set. Even the choice set I'm iffy about because of the 4x Stealth Rock weakness, but it's QC's decision to keep it or not. In addition, Solarbeam is an amazing option on the non-choiced set since Hail is not that common. It can OHKO many bulky waters, and is much more powerful than HP Grass or Electric. Speaking of, why is HP Electric in the analysis? What does it hit harder than a triple STAB Fire Blast? Even a resisted Fire Blast in the sun boosted by Solar Power does more than a Supereffective HP Electric IIRC. (202 BP vs. 140 BP) Also, it seems you have 2 choice sets... get rid of the choice items on the first set and replace Focus Blast with Sunny Day and replace the Hidden Powers with Solarbeam.

I think that's all... QC will see if I missed anything but I think I am pretty confident about my opinion on this.

Anyways, hope this helped and sorry for the long-winded post :P

EDIT: Damn computer.... Also, I forgot about Heat Rock on the Sunny Day set.

EDIT 2: The reason Focus Blast is not needed for the Sunny Day set is because Fire Blast hits everything except Rock-types harder, which are decimated by Solarbeam (which has perfect accuracy thank god). Even Chansey is hit much harder by the boosted Fire Blast than a supereffective Focus Blast.

Chanazn, I think I got everything you put. Thank you for the input, and yeah, I realize that Grass>Electric, but I just put it on there anyways. But the choice set isn't terrible per se. Even without sun, if you dont have rocks on your side, Charizard is still a very effective choice user in UU. I've used him on all my teams with a lot of success.

breh

強いだね
I could have sworn this is like what, the third charizard analysis?

sets should be LO/Choice Specs (with Solar Power) and Scarf (with Solar Power) and sun support should be mandatory. get rid of bellyzard, belly-everything sucks.

without sun, zard is pretty stupid, frankly.

I can't see how slowbro walls charizard, air slash 2 hit ko's slowbro afther sealth rock and OHKO'S slowbro afther a solar power boost.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You missed a few things. Leftovers should be the only item listed, you messed up the move order (Sunny Day > Fire Blast > Air Slash > Solarbeam) and Choice Scarf should be the main item on the choiced set.

Also the choiced set NEEDS to be used on a sun team otherwise its outclassed by other scarfers.

Swords Dance and Dragon Dance are not outclassed by Belly Drum. Their problems stem from Charizard's low attack stat and the popularity of bulky waters. Reword that OO sentence.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)