Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Q: How do common walls function in Ubers and what are they? Like, are mixed walls lugia and giratina? And what are special and physical walls in ubers?

Q: How does Rayquaza function currently? He's probably my favorite legendary, and really cool. Is he a mixed sweeper or just normal?

edit: Also, I just tried to make a Groudon set. How is this?

Groudon @ Leftovers Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Polish

He is a brilliant physical wall with his HP and Def, and Lefties extends his lifetime, which is much needed for my weather setter. Rock Polish can be used in an advantageous situation, and after 2 if you can get there, you outspeed nearly everything in Ubers. His godly EQ is pure power, Thunderpunch is there for coverage on things like Kyogre (nemesis) and Ho Oh, and Dragon claw rounds it out by being able to hit levitating dragons that resist Thunderpunch and immune to EQ. How is this?

And I tried to make a reshiram set too, one of the primary sun abusers for the team.

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Draco Meteor
-
-

I can't think of the last two moves on him. He isnt meant to sweep, just punch burning holes into the opponents team. Any advice to improve this set?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Tpunch isn't hitting Kybroker for any more damage than EQ, so I suggest you drop it and go with Stone Edge instead. Dragon Tail could be a useful fourth move to shuffle for SR damage whilst hitting Dragons super effectively on the switch, speaking of which if you have no other SR setter he could do that instead.

As for Reshiram, it kind of is meant to sweep with Flame Charge, but if you're intent on using it as a Latios, I would go with Blue Flare over Overheat. The drop in power is only around 6%, and the accuracy is hardly lower, and you can use it twice in a row. Plus it can burn things :D. The last two moves should be basically whatever SpAtk moves he learns, really, as they'll most likely be fillz.

EDIT: Oh right and Rayquaza is basically more or less Mence in Ubers, if that helps any.

Q: How do common walls function in Ubers and what are they? Like, are mixed walls lugia and giratina? And what are special and physical walls in ubers?

Q: How does Rayquaza function currently? He's probably my favorite legendary, and really cool. Is he a mixed sweeper or just normal?

edit: Also, I just tried to make a Groudon set. How is this?

Groudon @ Leftovers Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Polish

He is a brilliant physical wall with his HP and Def, and Lefties extends his lifetime, which is much needed for my weather setter. Rock Polish can be used in an advantageous situation, and after 2 if you can get there, you outspeed nearly everything in Ubers. His godly EQ is pure power, Thunderpunch is there for coverage on things like Kyogre (nemesis) and Ho Oh, and Dragon claw rounds it out by being able to hit levitating dragons that resist Thunderpunch and immune to EQ. How is this?

And I tried to make a reshiram set too, one of the primary sun abusers for the team.

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Draco Meteor
-
-

I can't think of the last two moves on him. He isnt meant to sweep, just punch burning holes into the opponents team. Any advice to improve this set?
For Groudon, I would recommend putting the Defence EVs into Sp. Defence, only because Groudon already has a base 140 in Def. Also, most people trying to knock Groudon out will use a Special attack rather than a physical one. This improves Groudon's overall walling capabilities. Otherwise, I really like the set.

For Reshiram... I can see some improvement. I like the Scarf, but I would never run Overheat and Draco Meteor on the same set. Sure, they give you a lot of power, but they effectively half your Special Attack, making it a measly 219 instead of an amazing 438. This means that you're most likely going to be switching, a LOT. What I like more is running Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor, but not many people agree with my choice. However, Blue Flare is worth the minuscule drop in Base Power and Accuracy, because it gives you a 20 % chance to burn, and you can keep using it over and over again. If you do want to run Specs, then you're saying goodbye to 418 Speed, and hello to 279, but you're also saying goodbye to 438 Sp. Atk, and hello to 657. This means you can EASILY OHKO almost the ENTIRE metagame in Sun, with the possible exception of Chansey and Blissey, which are usually 2HKOd.

A better idea would be to run Life Orb, only because you can use Flame Charge effectively. Flame Charge may seem weak, but the measly 50 BP becomes 146.25 under Sun, with Life Orb and STAB. That's coming off of around 250 Attack (with Rash or Mild), and raising your speed at the same time. That boost in speed is equivalent to that of a Choice Scarf. Use it twice and you get 558 Speed, enough to outrun even Deoxys-S, and any other un-boosted Pokemon. For the other three moves, Blue Flare and Focus blast are very useful. Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse will both work, but as Reshiram's probably going to be in for a while, I prefer Dragon Pulse.
If you really want to surprise somebody with Reshiram, go for a physical set. Base 120 attack is equal to that of Arceus, and even if you run Adamant, you still have great Sp. Atk to work with. Adamant Reshiram gets you to 372 Attack. You could run Outrage or Dragon Claw, something like Hone Claws for an attack boost, Flame Charge, and maybe Stone Edge? Of course, a Choice Band would be an alright item to hold... either that or a Life Orb. If you want, you can even use a Special attack, because an uninvested Sp. Atk is still around 300, which is usable for something like Draco Meteor, and the negative effect of which won't affect Reshiram's other moves.

If I want to make a balanced team (leaning a bit towards stall), what are some necessities? I want to use either a Normal or Steel Arceus (defensive sets for both), but I'm not sure if I want Steelceus' Ground- and Fire-type weaknesses, and I also want to use Shaymin-S, because although it's frail, I saw a LO Rayquaza use an unboosted ES which did about 45-48% to a Shaymin-S in a battle video I watched (both players were competent, I checked the HP and items to make sure), which was a suprise to me (not to mention Shaymin-S is one of my favorites, and I already have a perfect HP-Ice one to use).

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is ScarfTar any good on a Uber team?
Not really that useful because Lati's are rare.

Virizion said:
If I want to make a balanced team (leaning a bit towards stall), what are some necessities? I want to use either a Normal or Steel Arceus (defensive sets for both), but I'm not sure if I want Steelceus' Ground- and Fire-type weaknesses, and I also want to use Shaymin-S, because although it's frail, I saw a LO Rayquaza use an unboosted ES which did about 45-48% to a Shaymin-S in a battle video I watched (both players were competent, I checked the HP and items to make sure), which was a suprise to me (not to mention Shaymin-S is one of my favorites, and I already have a perfect HP-Ice one to use).
If you're going to use Skymin, I would recommend the SubSeed set with Toxic Spikes from Forry to help it stall. Arceus mostly depends on whether you wanna use Arceus as your spinblocker - if not, CM Steel with Roar can take advantage of those hazards nicely, while CM Ghost can be used if not using Giratina. The rest is up to you really, just try things and see what works, although you'll definitely want something for Ho-Oh/Tran/Reshiram if using Shaymin-S. :V

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I just calculated EQ vs TPunch on groudon. Wondering if I could possibly put SD in there? Dragon Claw/EQ isnt really resisted is it?
Fire punch for ferrothorn :D. Stops you from any spiked nonsense.

For reshiram blue flare + draco metoer + dragon pulse + focus blast /fusion flare on a scarf set is the standard one ive seen. Blue flare provides 10 less base power then overhear and doesn't come with the nasty -2 drawback (I dont think there are koes that it gets without it wither). Resh doesnt really need any coverage moves aside from its STAB ones, and focus miss was just chosen for the SE hit on dialga, ttar and something to use other then meteors on kyogre in the rain.

You'd also want a spinner or xatu/espeon. Shaymin's weakness to rocks is just annoying.

So, I was looking through my team's natures, and.. all but one is Timid, which is not good. I have an EV'ed (All are Adamant) Rayquaza, Zekrom, and RP Groudon··· In general, which should I use? I'm leaning towards Rayquaza because of Extremespeed and Air Lock, while Zek is a bit slow and Groudon's Drought ruins the rest of my team.. but I'm not entirely sure.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
The following clauses are in ubers. Ive hidden them so that they don't take up too much space.
Species clause: You are not allowed to use two of the same type of pokemon, like 2 palkia and 2 dialga, this applies to the deoxys and giratina forms as you are not allowed to use both forms of giratina or 2 forms of deoxys on the same team.

Moody clause: All pokemon that have the ability moody cannot be used. This includes but is not limited to bidoof, bibareal, glaile, octillery and smeargle.

Sleep clause: No more then 1 pokemon can be forcefully sent to sleep on 1 team by means of using a sleep inducing move. If 1 pokemon uses rest another pokemon can be sent to sleep on the other team by means of sing or another sleep inducing move though. Similar to this, if 1 pokemon on the players team has been sent to sleep they are still allowed to use rest.

Wifi battle (assuming your in wifi ubers if not then this is not in effect): You can see your opponents team before the battle starts and change your lead accordingly.

OHKO clause: Moves like sheer cold and horn drill that cause an instant ohko are banned.

Evasion clause: The use of any evasion boosting moves, like double team and minimize is banned.

I think thats it.

for evasion clause, are you still allowed to use brightpowder?
and
for genesect, ireally like the standard scarfed U-turn/ice beam/flamethrower/t-bolt, and i wanted it for ubers, but i dont find t-bolt very useful, as the thing it hits that the others dont are kyogre and ho-oh. thunder would be better for kyogre, and with ho-oh's monstours sp. def, i would rather swith out to something to a counter than trying t-bolt.
Any recommendations?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Brightpowder and Lax Incense are included under the Evasion Clause, so you are unfortunately not allowed to use them in (DW) Ubers.

As for the other stuff, the only pokemon that would ever think of using Thunderbolt in Ubers is Electric Arceus. Kyogre is common enough to justify the decision to use Thunder. (You probably should use Kyogre on your team anyway.) Also, I'm not quite convinced that Flamethrower would be all that useful. I'd try out Bug Buzz instead, just to have a decently powered STAB to work with. To be honest, I don't have much experience playing DW Ubers, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

i was wondering whether ubers forretress runs primarily special or physical defense. i want to say special but i'm not sure as i don't have much experience with bw ubers. it would really help me out as i'm brainstorming a team. thanks in advance!

Forretress in any Ubers metagame generally wants to run special defense because its typing and resistances allow it to tank Ice Beam / Draco Meteor / Spacial Rend etc. There's also a wider array of special attacking threats in Ubers that justify doing so. Forretress still has enough physical defense to take Outrage with ease so buffing up the weaker defensive stat is more optimal.

I'm new to this kind of competitive battleing so i was wondering, what makes an Uber? Is it determined by stats, movepool, typeing, or a combination? Thanks!

I'm new to this kind of competitive battleing so i was wondering, what makes an Uber? Is it determined by stats, movepool, typeing, or a combination? Thanks!
Just for reference, the tiers right now go Ubers > OU > (BL) > UU > RU

If an OU Pokémon proves to be broken, it has tests and the best people on the ladder vote whether it should be banned or not. A single Pokémon usually isn't very good without a good combination of its stats, movepool, typing, and ability. For example, last generation Blaziken was UU, but in this generation, because of its new ability Speed Boost and because of the buff on the move Hi Jump Kick, Blaziken was banned. So it's really a combination of lots of things that makes a Pokémon broken

Combination. Stats are not everything, Slaking is not Uber, and we all know why Slaking sucks(Truant). Movepool/Typing aren't everything either(read: Kyurem).

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
Dusclops does not work well in ubers, lugia and giratina completely outclass it and gain more reliable recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)