Gastrodon

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

HP: 111
Atk: 83
Def: 68
SpA: 92
SpDef: 82
Spe: 39

Abilities:
Sticky Hold: This Pokémon’s item cannot be taken.
Storm Drain: Water-type moves are drawn to this Pokémon. Water-type moves will do no damage and the Pokémon's SP ATK is raised one stage
Dreamworld:
Sand Force: Ground-type, Rock-type & Steel-type moves have their power increased by 33% in a Sandstorm

Code:
[B]Level-Up Moves[/B]
Lv1 Mud-slap
Lv2 Mud Sport
Lv4 Harden
Lv7 Water Pulse 
Lv11 Mud Bomb
Lv16 Hidden Power
Lv22 Rain Dance
Lv29 Body Slam
Lv41 Muddy Water
Lv54 Recover

[B]TM/HMs Learned[/B]
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM55 Scald
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM71 Stone Edge
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
HM03 Surf
HM04 Strength
HM05 Waterfall
HM06 Dive

[B]Egg Moves[/B]
Counter
Mirror Coat
Stockpile
Swallow
Spit Up
Yawn
Memento
Curse
Amnesia
Fissure
Trump Card
Sludge
Clear Smog
Brine
Mist

[B]Gen IV Move Tutor[/B]
Secret Power
Endure
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Whirlpool
Icy Wind
Snore
Ancientpower
Earth Power
Pain Split
String Shot
Block
Headbutt

GBU Doubles Sets
Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry / Sitrus Berry
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover / Protect

• Immunity to Surf coupled with the Special Attack boost from Storm Drain allow Gastrodon to perform well under Rain
  • Its slow speed makes it a viable option for Trick Room
  • It can be paired with a Pokemon with Water Absorb in order to create a combination of Surfs that benefit both Pokemon.
  • Gastrodon's typing works well in a weather-based metagame since it benefits from a Sandstorm and from rain.

(still something of a WIP, but I figure I would post the first one)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
GBU Doubles Sets
Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry / Sitrus Berry
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover / Protect
In GBU you can't use moves only available through Gen 4. Sorry :(

Edit: Sorry, I haven't played GBU or herd of this update...

In GBU you can't use moves only available through Gen 4. Sorry :(
It's not September anymore.. seriously. Research before posting, please

It has always had Storm Drain, he's not discussing the use of Earth Power with its Dream World ability (Sand Force).

As for Gastrodon himself, I'm currently using him in Singles Free mode with a set similar to the one in the OP, though with a Calm nature and a good amount of EV's in Defence ('Twas traded to me, don't exactly know how many are invested), along with Counter over Earth Power for the suprise factor. Mirror Coat can work as well, but usually people try to avoid using Special attacks against him.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
finally a ev set for gastro. Also interesting things to note in doubles he gains access to both icy wind and recover, for a more stallish and supporting gastro. Also in doubles muddy water seems to be more of the standard move in doubles.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not September anymore.. seriously. Research before posting, please

It has always had Storm Drain, he's not discussing the use of Earth Power with its Dream World ability (Sand Force).

As for Gastrodon himself, I'm currently using him in Singles Free mode with a set similar to the one in the OP, though with a Calm nature and a good amount of EV's in Defence ('Twas traded to me, don't exactly know how many are invested), along with Counter over Earth Power for the suprise factor. Mirror Coat can work as well, but usually people try to avoid using Special attacks against him.
Yeah, calm nature can also work, when I play singles I use that nature and a slightly different set (which I will be posting).
also virizion don't worry this will be focusing on singles as well as doubles, and if you want there to be more singles the best way to do so is contributing!

Virizion, I agree. A Physically-Defensive spread with Counter is good fun against Sandstorm teams especially. Unless they run offensive Seed Bomb Donphan (true, painful story).

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
add double team
along with recover and toxic. Gastrodon is so disruptive to some teams that you generally have one or two turns where the opponent just can't touch it at all. Double Team is a great way to make use of those turns, especially since Gastrodon's Special Attack is not that high.

plus its annoying

Gastrodon is a good weather counter to have. But I wouldn't run a stall set in GBU singles or doubles, with people dcing enough when you just thrash the with a better team.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While dcing may be a problem with such a stallish set, that doesn't mean it's not a good set which allows you to accrue wins. If that philosophy held true, Blissey would be useless. I've used Double Team to great effect; it's excellent thanks to Gastrodon's excellent bulk and typing, which allows it to get a number of free turns, especially with Recover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)