Team Trap n' Kill! (Finally number one!)

Team Trap n’ Kill!!
More or less, the overall idea of this team is to abuse broken pokes and great trappers, plain and simple. Genesect, Latios and even Ditto can sweep, while Zone, Wobb and Chandelure rip apart offensive and defensive teams alike. My success with this team has been moderate, not because of the team by any means, but because of a lack of time. I'm ranked at #1! My rating (under the name "The Fifth Hour on smogon) is 1436, sitting pretty at the top of the ladder.

(Banner by me!)​

Team Building Process

First, I wanted a team of six trappers, but I thought that’d be too gimmicky, so I decided on just picking the three best I could think of. This is when Wobb was still UU, so she was at the forefront of my mind. I didn’t care what tier I played, so Chandy was a must. Having Chandelure on my team meant that I’d play Dream World, which meant steel types, which meant I needed Magnezone. There was my core.

Next, I chose the Poke no Dream World team should be without, Genesect. It can do almost everything, so there was no reason to not choose it.

Imposter Ditto was my next choice. Ever since I learned of its new ability, I wanted to try it, but never got the chance, since I never play Dream World. This was my chance and I was going to make the most of it.

At this point, I was stuck. I had no idea what would fill the last spot. I decided to look through some Dream World RMTs and learned that SOUL DEW LATIOS WAS LEGAL IN DREAM WORLD PLAY. So it was an obvious choice.

Sorry for the short team building process, but that’s how all my teams are built. I choose six somewhat random Pokemon and put them on a team. Either the team works or it doesn’t, not much time is spent revising or anything. There haven’t been any changes in the roster and there have been few moveset changes since this team’s inception.

The Trap

(F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow TagEVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Encore
- Tickle
- Mirror Coat
- Counter

Overview: Wobbuffet has one of the best support abilities in the game, why not use her? She can easily KO less offensively minded Pokes with Encore paired with Mirror Coat or Counter. Wobbs bulk also lets her take out many offensive pokes by surviving one attack and spitting it back at the opponent for twice the damage. She often removes pesky walls that stand in my way so that my offense can do as it pleases. Wobbuffet being able to remove walls and bulky mons, or just make it so that they can be taken out by another of my trappers is the main reason she remains on the team. One of my favorite plays is to Encore a set up/support move and switch to another poke that can trap that opponent. Magnezone has taken out Stealth Rock spamming Heatrans that way, and it always makes me feel warm and cuddly inside when things like that happen. And, no, Wobb is not my lead, but since the name of the team is “Trap n’ Kill” I figured I’d put the trapping Pokes first.

In Depth: I don’t really know what a “standard” Wobb set is, but this is what I use. Max HP makes CounterCoat do the most damage possible while the rest of the EV’s are used for bulk (who knew?). Encore is the most important attack on the set since it allows Wobb to get a kill or let’s another Poke get a free turn. Tickle… is honestly somewhat useless, but less useless then Wobbs other attacks and CounterCoat makes Wobb Wobb. Wobbuffet is another member of the team I am happy with, and could not be replaced with anything else; a better EV spread would be greatly appreciated though.

Possible Changes: Maybe Safeguard>Tickle? There aren’t many options…

@ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Overview: Mag is used almost exclusively for wiping out steel types, and nothing more. Though it has but one use, it as a crucial one with all of the steel types running around in the higher tiers. Genesect, Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, all taken care of by Mag and Mag alone. Though the reason Mag was chosen was to eradicate steel types and Mag does a great job, it is also a great Blissey and general special sponge lure. Though this team lacks type synergy in a sense, it has great synergy between the trappers, since all take out different types of pokes, and help each other in accomplishing the removal of their targets.

In Depth: 160 HP provides decent bulk, max Special Attack is a duh and 96 Speed outspeeds most Scizor. Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt form a STAB core of attacks, hitting many types neutrally, though Thunderbolt has MUCH better offensive typing. Flash Cannon does have its own perks though, like hitting Dragons and Ground types for Neutral damage. Sub lets me set up on many Ferrothorns and Choice Locked Scizors and Hidden Power [Fire] lets me dispose of both. Magnezone’s ability to trap and kill (GET IT!?!?!?!) opposing steel types is unparalleled and makes Magnezone an irreplaceable member of this team.

Possible Changes: A more standard EV spread is possible, but this has worked fine so far. Maybe Charge Beam>Thunderbolt for another possible sweeper. CB Scizor and Ferrothorn would be great set up bait to get to +6 with Charge Beam, but Mag is so incredibly slow that a “sweep” would be nigh impossible.

(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Overview: Mostly Chandy is used to set up on Blissey and sweep teams, which happens relatively often. This team as a whole is very good at baiting out Blissey with all of its strong Special attackers. Even though Latios has a move almost specifically for Blissey, if I feel I can set up and sweep with Chandy, I will either pivot switch with Latios or just switch to Chandy predicting any move other than status.

In Depth: Shadow Tag is the most important part of the set, it lets me set up on Blissey, Ferrothorn and a plethora of other walls and choice locked fighting attacks (they happen often). EV’s are another duh for Chandelure. Shadow Ball is STAB, as is Fire Blast. Fire Blast is chosen over Flamethrower for its ability to (sometimes) OHKO Blissey at +6, which means NOTHING is going to live it once Blissey is out of the way. Sub and Calm Mind are the two set up moves that allow this guy to sweep teams. Okay, I know I’ve said Blissey a lot in this RMT, but it will be mentioned ONE MORE TIME. Once I set up on Blissey, Chandy often takes down at least one other Poke, often times two, since by the time I’m done setting up, I’ll be at +6 with a sub, meaning at least one thing is going to die (other than Heatran?).

Possible Changes: A choice set could work as a better revenge killer, but I like being able to take out two or three pokes with this bad mama jamma. The hardest part about setting up is that there aren’t that many things to set up on. Choiced normal and fighting attacks and mono attackers aren’t common, so setting up can sometimes be quite the chore, making a choice set more appetizing.

The Kill

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Overview: Genesect, oh broken Genesect. Coming in at +1 for two different stats at all times (speed and either Attack or Special Attack depending on the download boost) makes Genesect a formidable foe. It can sweep, it can scout, it can revenge kill, it’s often my lead, it’s Genesect. +1 Dragons are felled by this beast, as are many other pokes that try and set up to sweep my team. DD Scrafty takes a hefty bit from a U-Turn, but is still a pain in the butt.

In Depth: The Scarf is there because that’s Genesect’s pride and joy; take it away and it throws fits. 4 attack boosts U-Turn’s damage output, even if only a very, VERY little, while max speed and max Special attack are to help Genesect do what it’s meant to, that is to kill stuff and scout. Naïve nature is chosen over hasty because Genesect’s typing gives it resistances to more commonly physical attacks, like Outrage/Dragon Claw, Bullet Punch, etc. U-Turn is for scouting (as has been stated multiple times) and the remaining three moves give phenomenal coverage. Flamethrower roasts steels, mostly Ferrothorn (f*** you!), Ice Beam maims dragons like Dragonite (F*** YOU!!) and Thunderbolt zaps any bulky waters that try and stand in my way, like Dos (actually, you’re alright).

Possible Changes: Bug Buzz for a STAB move that can clean up as opposed to using un-STABed elemental attacks, I’m just not sure what to get rid of, or if it’s even worth it.

(M) @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Overview: Latios, oh broken… okay, I’ll stop. Soul Dew Latios can be summed up so perfectly in just one word; broken. A Pokemon with base 130 Special Attack and base 110 Special Defense should NOT be allowed to enter a game with a free Calm Mind boost, it’s just not fair… Latios can revenge kill many threats because so few things are willing to switch in to a +1 Draco Meteor. This often forces my opponent to sac a Pokemon in the hopes of revenge killing Latios. Latios’ great typing coupled with its free Calm Mind makes it easy to switch in on special attackers. With great resistances to water, fire, grass and an ever useful immunity to ground, Latios has plenty chances to switch in and wreak carnage.

In Depth: Soul Dew is the item of choice for most all Latios in the Dream World tier, while the EV’s should be self explanatory. Draco Meteor kills stuff, Thunderbolt and Surf are for coverage and Psyshock is mostly for the pink blobs. With five special attackers on the team, Pokemon that are naturally specially bulky can cause problems, and Latios is my fail safe for them. Psyshock lets me hit from both sides of the spectrum while still using my higher offensive stat. This is the second COMPLETELY broken poke on my team and never fails to impress.

Possible Changes: Maybe HP [Fire] over something? I don’t think it’s really worth it though as Ferro is handled… handily, as is Scizor. Recover is another option that would allow Latios to stay active for a longer period of time, but I think the coverage is more important.

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Transform

Overview: Ditto, somewhat but not really broken Ditto. Ditto is very well one of the best revenge killers in the game. Imposter is really good (not broken), and being able to outspeed every Pokemon in the game is always a plus. Though Ditto is good, it is honestly the member of my team that I am least sure about, because its usefulness is judged solely on my predictions, which make it somewhat difficult to use at times. Though difficult to use, Ditto is still the “glue” to this team, making sure most boosting sweepers don’t have their way with this team. Excadrill, Scrafty, Dragonite, Volcanora and Terrakion are some of the most dangerous sweepers in the game, but can all be outspeed and revenge killed 100% of the time with Ditto.

In Depth: There isn’t much “depth” to Ditto. Choice Scarf lets it outspeed anything it switches in on and max HP is used since Ditto’s HP stat doesn’t transform with it. Imposter is really the only reason to use Ditto.

Possible Changes: Oh, so many possibilities! There are truly too many attacks, movesets and EV spreads to choose from, I need HELP! </sarcasm>

Those three Pokes have uses less specific to what I am facing (i.e. Latios spams Draco Meteor, Genesect spams U-Turn), while the other three are more specific. Wobb is used almost exclusively to kill walls and Tickle things. Magnezone pretty much only kills steels and Chandy… I’m not sure. It also trap-kills stuff and tries to sweep.

Keep in minders:

-No Stealth Rock is a pain in the ass
-No Spinner is a pain in the ass
-Excadrill is a pain in the ass

It’s weird, but my answer to all of these things lies within Ditto; it can copy a Stealth Rocker, it can copy a spinner and it can revenge Excadrill. Putting so much stress on Ditto often makes it break, which is why something that could cover at least one or two of these problems would be appreciated

Well, thar she blows, my first Dream World RMT. I suggest everyone try the trapper core, it’s easy to use, and removing an opponent’s options is always a good thing!

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Transform
Wobbuffet (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Encore
- Tickle
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Scrafty is a little punk, but Ditto can revenge it and I try REAL hard to not let it set up. Thanks for the rate!

all those problems are solved by one pokemon:

name: Defensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Knock Off / Roar / Fire Fang / Ice Shard
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

try it over wobb. you can trap and kill anything with chandy, you really don't need the extra

Gl

all those problems are solved by one pokemon:

name: Defensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Knock Off / Roar / Fire Fang / Ice Shard
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

try it over wobb. you can trap and kill anything with chandy, you really don't need the extra

Gl
It would be nice to know what Pokemon that is...

I could imagine that this team is more than annoying, making good use of the trapping moves on this line up. Suprised not to see Dugtrio, as its a "Trapping Team" but I can see why when you have things like Soul Dew Latios, and Choice Scarf Ditto. Seems Solid.

Thanks, I'll give Donohan a shot! I love him in UU so I may was well try him in OU. Thing is, Wobb and Chandy trap completely different things. Wobb doesn't as much net ko's as it does set up for ko's. Nonetheless, I will try Phan>Wobb.

@Katz: the whole point of the team was to abuse broken pokes lol good plan, I know.

@HDT: when I first wanted to make a team with six trappers, Duggy came to mind, but when I wanted to make the team competitive, I knew that Duggy wouldn't fit. Also, you might not be surprised at how many rage quits this team causes lol

Quick update/bumb:
I made it to ninth, but a combination of poor plays on my part and hax I can't get any higher. If you run into "The Fifth Hour" on the smogon server, that's me, so any advice would be appreciated.

Ditto is unnessisary with genosect. Put a sweeper that can benifit from the support of your trappers. Baloon terrakoin is a good choice.since he checks exa, and appreciates scizor and conkeldur being trapped. Also dugtrio with stealth rock might be a good idea over mag since chandy traps steels

Ditto is used so that I can revenge kill almost every set up sweeper in the game. I wouldn't want to replace mag for dug because dug chand can't switch in on repeated skarm brave birds or cb scizor bullet punches. Thank you for the rate though!

You may want to add a hard counter for Heatran, since I see it can take on most of your team without fear. Adding Donphan would be a good idea.

I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry, but Ditto is incredibly important. Against sand I die if Ditto is gone for sure lol

Also, thanks for actually testing the team, I really support it, it gives a better feel of the team than just looking at it. Any other thoughts on it?

Well, I find Zone REALLY redundant. You can just trap Skarm, Ferro, etc. with Chandy anyways. Also Loom is good on this team too imo for bluffing Mach Punch vs. Excadrill.

What Loom set did you use?

I always found Mag to be useful for water types, but Loom would likely be better at that. Thanks.

Okay, another update:

I'm ranked fourth! My rating is 1354 at this point, which the highest I've gotten it in the fifth generation.

Also, I played someone that used my team, and it was fun! I was quite flattered by it lol

I still haven't implemented any changes at this point, since the team has been working great, but I WILL test some things within the next few days.

Godsend that might have been me...

Anyways I'm trying SubSeed Loom ATM, may switch over to Memento Whimsicott if I feel like it.

This is a really, really good team bro. Keep at it.

Also: I peaked at like...15 I think with this team, so yeah xD. It's a good team.

I don't think it was you... This player wasn't that good lol they also didn't have breloom on their team. What ev's and what not? Lol I'd like to try what you are whenever I get the chance. It's a good team, though it takes some getting used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)