The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Who has seen this @$$hole

Drifblim @ sitrus berry
Unburden

EV set ??? (must be bulky though, because if i remember correctly, my scarfchomps stone edge was at least 3hko with sitrus berry)

Minimize
Substitute
Baton pass
Disable/Acrobatics/whatever

basicly, it just starts minimizing, usually getting 1-2 in, then the berry activates, and it starts subbing till it evades, then passes away to a garchomp/ some other poke with sub + atk/spatk boosting move.

I've gone up against these things 2-3 times, and lost each time. what makes it worse is that the guys using them have 550+ wins, which means that they have probably won 2000+ battles thanks to those damn balloons, factoring in how many people must ragequit against them.

seriously, I'd rather stare down a full team of ubers in random matchup than one of these goddamn balloons.

the one time I brought in a machamp against what I thought was one, it ohkoed with a flight jewel acrobatics.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just carry a Pokemon with a perfect-accuracy move. I actually run AAce SD Scizor. Decent power with Technician factored in.

I hate hate hate hate Breloom, and so have two Taunt users and a Lum Berry.
I know I probably sound like a broken record by now, but I loathe Breloom with every ounce of my being.

The huge prevalence of Burns in this gen have forced me to switch to primarily Special sweepers rather than physical.

Boosting moves are king in 5th gen, which gives me ample opportunities to abuse priority users >:] Vacuum Wave Infernape beats Cloyster 1-on-1 every time, and the only thing the clam can do is switch out.

I've just started with GBU (sticking only with free play) and so far I've really enjoyed it. I've had a lot of luck in particular with Specs. Jolteon running Thunder/HP Ice/Shadow Ball/Volt Charge. That thing has been tearing teams apart, especially if I use it as a starter, Volt Charge into Drizzletoed, which sets me up for a sweep later on.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
After a long break I've decided to play randmatch again. Unfortunately, my attention were mostly at other things (Uber nitpicking/vacation/Battle Subway) so I didn't make a new team. I was, however, pleased that it still works all the same (going 12-0 in the past two days, more if you count DCs).

...But I did make a small edit. I don't recall if I posted that I was testing Gliscor spreads or not...pretty sure I did. Meh. Looking around at C&C and #dreamworld, I decided to give this set a run.

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Yeah I got bored with all the poison heal stall stuff, so I figured this set would be suitable for the fast paced 3v3 meta. And it worked like a charm, demolishing bulky slow things left and right, haxing things around with Sand Veil (granted me a win and a "revenge hax"), and being a surprise in general. It managed to 3-0 two 1000+ Japanese guys because its power is unexpected. Though I do miss the bulk and healing provided by Poison Heal, the increased Speed and power has been worth it.

Well....there's not a Simple Answers Thread in here so....

How do you get stars? Wins?? How much for each star?
The stars indicate how many wins you have in the particular mode.

0 stars: 0-49 wins
1 star: 50-99 wins
2 stars: 100-199 wins
3 stars: 200-499 wins
4 stars: 500-999 wins
5 stars: 1000+ wins

The stars do not carry over between battle modes. If you have 200 wins in Single Battle Free Mode, but only 50 in Single Battle Rated Mode, you will have 3 stars in the former while only 1 in the latter.

Hey, I finally got down to building my first Random Matchup team, and I was wondering, how common Stone Edge is on Blaziken? And which Kingdra is more popular - DD or Special/Mixed?

Hey, I finally got down to building my first Random Matchup team, and I was wondering, how common Stone Edge is on Blaziken? And which Kingdra is more popular - DD or Special/Mixed?
People run the standard Sash/Protect, although Blaziken isn't too common anyway. Kingdra is usually completely Special with Sub + LO or Specs.

Since people are starting to write GBU analyses and there are only a handful of serious posts, here's a look at the metagame through my eyes. I've been playing since the English GBU came out and have garnered a respectable rating (1806), if anyone's wondering.

I face Japanese players almost all of the time, so if anyone has information on players from other countries, I'd like to hear it. (No "English players suck Japanese players rock!!!" posts please.)

Rain, Goodstuffs, and Semi-Stall are the most common teams. Rain is the dominant weather. Sand and sun teams are occasionally seen, while hail teams are nonexistent, but rain teams are always around the corner. A typical Rain team contains Politoed, Kingdra, Ferrothorn, Latios, and two other supporting Pokemon. Rain users typically pick Politoed, Ferrothorn, and Kingdra for battle.

Goodstuffs teams are comprised of bulky sweepers, with a frail sweeper or two. A typical Goodstuffs team has Metagross, Conkeldurr, Volcarona, Garchomp, Rotom-W, and Abomasnow. As in VGC10, Abomasnow serves as a check to weather teams, especially rain. The teams typically lead with Metagross or a frail sweeper. A Focus Sasher is usually in every lineup, so look for the most likely Sasher.

A couple of Goodstuffs teams run an unlikely Trick Roomer (such as Espeon) to turn the tables on fast teams. It's an unlikely but common threat.

Semi-Stall teams are fairly common, and run the usual suspects such as Skarmory, Blissey, and so on. Porygon2 is also a common sight.

Overused Pokemon

Ninetales is an attacking lead for Drought teams, and typically carries an Air Balloon or Shuca Berry.

Machamp is occasionally used on Goodstuffs teams as an attacking lead.

Cloyster occasionally pops up on Goodstuffs teams as a Shell Smash sweeper, using a Focus Sash or a White Herb.

Gengar is used as a Sashed lead on Goodstuffs teams. It carries Destiny Bond for a quick 2-for-1, so slower Pokemon should watch out.

Starmie is used as a Life Orb attacker on Goodstuffs and Rain teams.

Gyarados is a bulky ChestoRest sweeper on Goodstuffs teams, and usually carries a Chesto Berry or a Wacan Berry.

Dragonite is a bulky Multiscale Dragon Dancer on Goodstuffs teams.

Politoed is the lynchpin of Rain teams, and runs a bulky set so that it can stick around and replenish the rain if necessary. It's fairly unpredictable, as it can carry Encore or even Perish Song in the last slot.

Scizor isn't grossly overused, but still pops up on Goodstuffs teams every now and then as a Swords Dancer with an Occa Berry.

Skarmory is a staple on Semi-Stall teams, and runs the standard set with Leftovers or a Rocky Helmet.

Kingdra appears on every rain team as a Life Orb sweeper.

Porygon2 is an irritating all-around wall on Semi-Stall teams, and usually runs its standard set with Toxic. SS teams often send this out into battle.

Blissey is the special wall on Semi-Stall teams, and runs the standard special wall set with Toxic. Chansey is occasionally used in its place, but Blissey is more common.

Tyranitar is used on sand and occasionally Semi-Stall teams for sandstorm, but Hippowdon is the more common Sand Stream user.

Surprisingly, Blaziken is only seen on Goodstuffs teams occasionally. It uses a sweeping set with Protect, and carries an Air Balloon or a Life Orb.

Swampert is sometimes seen on Goodstuffs as a general wall with Leftovers.

Metagross is a common lead for Goodstuffs, and runs Meteor Mash/Hammer Arm or Earthquake/Ice Punch/Bullet Punch with a Shuca Berry or an Air Balloon. Prepare accordingly.

Latios (and occasionally Latias) are used as Life Orb sweepers on Goodstuffs or Rain teams. A lot of Latis carry Thunder over Thunderbolt due to the constant rain. I haven't seen Hidden Power Fire on a Lati yet, so feel free to switch in Scizor and Ferrothorn (watch out for Trick).

Unsurprisingly, Garchomp is whored on Goodstuffs teams as a SubDancer or Choice Scarfer.

Hippowdon whips up sandstorms on Semi-Stall teams, and runs its standard defensive set with Yawn. It usually carries a Sitrus Berry.

Goodstuffs teams use Abomasnow as a check to weather teams, typically using a Choice Scarf or Focus Sash.

Weavile sometimes pops up as a CounterSash lead.

Gliscor is an annoying mofo on Goodstuffs and Semi-Stall teams, and runs a standard Poison Heal set. Some Gliscor carry Guillotine, so take care of these ASAP.

Gallade sees a surprising amount of play in Goodstuffs, and typically runs the Swords Dance set with Shadow Sneak.

Rotom-W feels like the most overused Pokemon on the GBU, as it's abused in Rain, Goodstuffs, and Semi-Stall teams. It scouts with Volt Switch or tries to cripple a wall with Trick in the early game. It runs a defensive set with Sitrus Berry, or carries a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf. You'll see Rotom all the time, so get used to it.

Conkeldurr normally resides on Goodstuffs teams, but Rain teams also use it to take out Rain deterrents such as Ferrothorn, Abomasnow, and Blissey. Conkeldurr runs the standard Bulk Up set and carries a Sitrus Berry.

Jellicent is a general wall on Semi-Stall teams. It uses the standard set with either ability.

Ferrothorn resides on Rain teams. It uses the standard set, but seems to run Thunder Wave more often. It carries a Rocky Helmet or a Sitrus Berry .

Thundurus shows up on rain teams as a simple sweeper.

This is all from memory, so any corrections or additions are welcome.

Nice post! This looks really helpful for players to get a basic idea of the GBU Singles metagame.

I've haven't played a whole lot of Singles, but one Pokemon you didn't mention that seems fairly common as a lead is Sashed Lucario with Close Combat, Crunch, and Extremespeed.

Just to add on to Magicxgame's nice post, here are a couple of Pokemon I find I run into that weren't mentioned. I started playing GBU Singles at the start of Season 2 and am fluctuating in the 1700 rating area after ~300 some games.

An addition to Magicxgame's Conkledurr entry: it seems like people love to status mine (has Guts), so be aware of the fact that is has Guts or you might be in trouble. Also, sorry in advance since I don't know how to link fancy sprites of the Pokemon!

Terrakion
A very fast lead with Focus Sash usually with Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Quick Attack. A lot of Japanese players I face also run Double Kick to blow up your Focus Sash leads weak to Fighting. Have also seen them occasionally with Tailwind support.

Slowbro
Super bulky physical wall made even more annoying by the Regenerator ability, often sporting a Rocky Helmet. Usually runs Slack Off, Psychic, Scald, and Flamethrower, but sometimes Calm Mind too.

Suicine
I see this thing everything and am still thinking of a good counter for it that fits my team. Bulky wall that almost always runs Chesto Berry / Rest and Sheer Cold. Rest of the moves seem to alternate between Ice Beam / Scald / Calm Mind.

Mamoswine
While I don't actually see Mamoswine too often, it is hands down the MVP on my team. I run him as a Focus Sash lead with Icicle Spear, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Ice Shard will always force a switch when your opponent opens up with a 4x Ice weakness Pokemon, giving you the momentum early. On that note, Pokemon weak to Ice are everywhere and Icicle Spear is ridiculously good at breaking Substitutes / Marvel Scales / Yache Berries while Ice Shard cleans up nicely.

Edit: Updated with a replay with Mamoswine, 66-52221-76956. Other guy was low 1700's.

Sorry if this isn't where this goes, but I can't find a place for GBU teams, and I'm excited to have a team that actually works (at least for today it has).

Before today, I had a rather dismal 4W/11L record. Now I'm 14W/17L. I'm still under .500, but it seems as if it is turning around now...Here's what is working for me...

Baziken @ Air Baloon
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Moveset:
-Protect
-Hi Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Mirror Move

Ninetails @ Passho Berry
Nature: Bold
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk
Moveset:
-Calm Mind
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-Overheat

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Moveset:
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Double Kick
-Quick Attack

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/200 SpDef/56 HP
Moveset:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 SpDef
Moveset:
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

Raikou @ Fighting Gem
Nature: Rash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/4 SpDef
Moveset:
-Thunder Bolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Aura Sphere
-Weather Ball

Speaking of Blaziken in the above post, I never really got the opportunity to get too into the Gen 5 metagame and Blaziken's banning was one of the things that caught me off guard. I read the forums about how much of a problem it's causing, listened to the smogcast, but never felt it for myself....until lately. That thing is ridiculously good in GBU. I feel like if I don't run something that can deal with SB Blaziken I'm giving up a free win. And anytime I see a Blaziken its always the same: high ranking, rest of the team gets beaten easily, Blaziken is the only decent mon they use, then if I win I win with one mon at red HP but more often than not I lose 3 guys to that one irritating chicken.

Latias, trick, choice scarf. Every time I play it seems. It usually forces a switch, gets a double team and proceeds to calm mind it's way into Draco Meteor hell. A nice tactic. I always hate getting scarfed, especially when the pokemon is already fast. :/

I once got tricked before using trick, we simply traded scarfs. I'm sure he laughed as hard as I did, all the way over there in Japan.

I saw this amazing gimmick Porygon2

It only had Trick room and Last resort.

Of course it can be stoped by ghost. However I was very impress till the guy ran away after it was defeated.

I started playing Singles GBU about a week ago, and got myself to 1601 rating, with 10 wins and 4 losses under my belt. Amazingly yet, I have faced only ONE disconnect on Rated, everyone else been playing fair so far. I don't have much experience yet, having done about 40 battles including both Free and Rated, but I can safely say that Parushen (Cloyster) and Porygon2 are absolute pain in the ass. Here's a video starring me making an epic fail when trying to handle one such Porygon2 - 81-97442-31134 (spoiler: the one who forfeited at the end was the opponent by the way)

I also found that typical Sandstorm (Tyranitar+Excadrill) is kinda hard to pull off, because with only one slot left it is difficult to cover everything that might stop this duo, from priority users to Bulky Waters. Thus I've found myself using good standalone Pokes like Gliscor and Gastrodon much more often than Excadrill.

I'm considering training one of my old favourites Lanturn... but would a bulky (252 HP / 258 somewhere in other defences) or a somewhat offensive (some EVs in Sp Att) one work out better? What do you guys think?

I'm considering training one of my old favourites Lanturn... but would a bulky (252 HP / 258 somewhere in other defences) or a somewhat offensive (some EVs in Sp Att) one work out better? What do you guys think?
I've gone up against a lot of bulky Lanturns. They work but I always felt like they were just a quick toss in to handle rain a little. I run a rain team and a general goodstuffs team. The goodstuffs I won't see the Lanturn played if its in team preview but it always gets used against my rain team if the other guy has it. I've never NOT killed the Lanturn but then again I almost always have Porygon 2 on hand. But that's just been my experience with it.

Yeh, any rain team would probably have a Ludicolo for a quick Lanturn counter...
The main problem my team has been having is from Scarfed Cloysters (of which I have actually seen a few lately) and not having anything to absorb Scizor's attacks so I was just considering it as a possibility really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)