Issue #16 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
First issue I've read in a while.
Made me want to get back into pokemon again.

Some error in the BW OU analysis

Gengar :
This mischievous Ghost-type from RBY is the most popular of the original 151 in BW, and for good reason too.

Dragonite : #10

Maybe the writer means : The most popular without new ability or something

Great new edition!
Really one of the better ones I seen.
I love the RU anyalsis and the tournament coverage.
Truly an interesting read, I need to think of a good topic so I can write for the smog.

I wish they talk a little more about Sawsbuck in the move tutor article.

Body slam and Headbutt were Tutor moves last generation right?

I can see Sawsbuck leveraging those moves together with it's Dream world ability serene grace and it can already use thunder-wave too. The next para-flincher up there with jirachi and togekiss. All it really needs is Headbutt, body slam would just be the icing on the cake and any other strong physical move with a secondary effect that helps coverage is the cherry on top.

A good issue, but only one complaint.

lol good joke
???
What does that mean? That credit will not go where credit is due? I understand that contributor names are placed on the top of separate articles, but having an index of contributors allows a quick recognition of those who have worked on the magazine in their entirety while also forcing members to not have to sift through a mass of articles to find which one a particular member worked on.

I also understand it takes time and effort to make the many components that are part of a webzine, but for a prospective contributor, it is extreme discouraging to see that proper acknowledgment of work is viewed as of a joke.

No, that just means no one has done the Contributors page yet. It's not a critical aspect of the release, so we sort of let it go, and thought it would be an amusing Easter egg for people that found it. "Haha, they're joking instead of simply omitting it, good one!" Apparently either we were wrong or you're taking it far more seriously than you should—likely the latter. I've added a disclaimer until I write the page later today.

I also understand it takes time and effort to make the many components that are part of a webzine, but for a prospective contributor, it is extreme discouraging to see that proper acknowledgment of work is viewed as of a joke.
If you've read the past issues, you'll see the contributor pages give credit where it is due. Unfortunately the page was not, for some reason, done in time, but if they did not intend to do it they would have scrapped it. People are credited in the articles they write / create art for, and are eventually, if merited, recognised with the Smog Contributor badge. The contributor pages are a small part of acknowledging that, but they also acknowledge those who do editorial work.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To clarify, the person that usually does the Contributors page has been curiously absent recently, and wasn't around to do it as usual. We were prioritizing actually getting the magazine out above non-article minutiae, and the Contributors page will go up when we get around to it.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
here i htmled the contributors page stop ya whining

HTML:
[title]
The Smog Contributors - Issue #16
[head]
<link href="/media/smog/smog.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
[page]

<p>This page is dedicated to all of the people who worked extremely hard to make this issue of The Smog.</p>

<dl>
<dd>firecape</dd>
<dd>not sds cuz he's a (BAN ME PLEASE) and always late</dd>
<dd>firecape</dd>
<dd>rising_dusk</dd>
</dl>
(i'll do the actual page and put it up btw, just wanted to comment on how sds sucks)

edit: DONE, TAKE THAT (god that took forever with all the articles this issue...)

If I forgot you or something, please redirect all complaints to SevenDeadlySins.

I appreciate and thank you all for your alacrity and expedience in addressing this minute, though somewhat substantial, issue.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Golurk should really have been listed as one of the new Pokemon that would benefit from the elemental punches, imo.
Fair enough on this one, especially because of Iron Fist boosting the damage by 20%. That said, Golurk's typing is rather unfortunate defensively because while it could hit targets like Ferrothorn effectively with Fire Punch and bulky waters with Thunderpunch, it doesn't offer that much more power than STAB Earthquake. Golurk is also slower than even slow threats like Jellicent and it doesn't handle Power Whip that well.

All in all Golurk is kind of like Mienshao: It certainly benefits from elemental punches, but the circumstances of its typing and stats make it a much less viable candidate than others. At least with three immunities it'd have a fair amount of play room with a Choice Band Iron Fist set, especially since it can get pretty good coverage on Earthquake/Stone Edge/Fire Punch/Thunderpunch. Ice Punch can go over Fire Punch if you want a tradeoff of effectively hitting Air Baloon or Levitating Steels (and Ferrothorn) with a stronger answer to threats like Gliscor and Dragons. Or dump TPunch since most waters get hit the same by EQ (or Stone Edge in Gyara's case) and have Fire/Ice Punch.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It probably wouldn't get Ice Punch. With the exception of Jirachi (Fire Punch), Nidoking/Queen/Rhyperior (Ice Punch), and Ledian (Thunderpunch), no Pokemon gets an elemental punch they're weak to.

oh I found a little error: on the Featured OU Pokemon section, it's mentioned that Jellicent has 100 special defense, while it actually has 105, but it's just a minor insignificant thing. I loved this issue of the smog!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It probably wouldn't get Ice Punch. With the exception of Jirachi (Fire Punch), Nidoking/Queen/Rhyperior (Ice Punch), and Ledian (Thunderpunch), no Pokemon gets an elemental punch they're weak to.
Yeah, but the mons that do get punches they're weak to tend to be Ground types, plus Golurk already gets Ice Beam and Thunderbolt (though Marowak does the same and didn't get IP but did get FP and TP). If anything, it'd fail to get Fire Punch (in which case you'd just use Hammer Arm if you wanted to hit Ferrothorn, though Thunderpunch would be the default against Skarm). You also missed Dragonite, who got Ice Punch as a tutor last Gen, heh.

Very good issue, in my opinion the best in quite a while. There're a lot of interesting articles to read and they all offer quite some diverse insights.

If I may offer a suggestion, I think the BotW article should be more carefully written. Looking at the DPPt UU battle (which is the metagame I'm most familiar with), Bluewind took a big advantage because he caught Eo's spinblocker with Payback. Dusclops has no reliable recovery, so this is a big play. The article makes no mention of this however. Neither does it mention that Eo was using gimmicks - Dusclops and Cacturne are both solidly NU, and Steelix isn't exactly a common Pokemon either. Bluewind recognized this, which I'm quite confident is why he wrote "can you use a less trollish team". The article also failed to mention how Jibaku's Palkia just failed to KO trickroom's Ground Arceus (it went to 1%), which was when Jibaku lost the match. Therefore I think the article could be better written.

Don't let this criticism detract from what is otherwise an excellent issue, though. Keep up the good work!

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I may offer a suggestion, I think the BotW article should be more carefully written. Looking at the DPPt UU battle (which is the metagame I'm most familiar with), Bluewind took a big advantage because he caught Eo's spinblocker with Payback. Dusclops has no reliable recovery, so this is a big play. The article makes no mention of this however. Neither does it mention that Eo was using gimmicks - Dusclops and Cacturne are both solidly NU, and Steelix isn't exactly a common Pokemon either. Bluewind recognized this, which I'm quite confident is why he wrote "can you use a less trollish team". The article also failed to mention how Jibaku's Palkia just failed to KO trickroom's Ground Arceus (it went to 1%), which was when Jibaku lost the match. Therefore I think the article could be better written.

Don't let this criticism detract from what is otherwise an excellent issue, though. Keep up the good work!
Sweet, do you want to write the next one?

Amazing Issue guys, the quality of writing and images was superb. The highlights were easily the metagame analysis and type article.

GJ guys can't wait until the next issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)