[Standard] Mafia Rising - Game over, the Second Mafia wins - Postgame

im like a good luck charm :), also stevensnype said that i betrayed lightwolf in muppet mafia, but in truth, he betrayed me by lynching me while i was in his team, i can't blame him though...

Mafia Rising Postgame

Introduction:
My design of Mafia Rising began when I considered that while death is usually an on/off, either/or deal in mafia, it doesn't have to be. I wanted to host a game where the boundary between life and death was porous - one where users could be resurrected, deadtalking was allowed, and some roles might even gain powers after dying. There was a game years ago, Chaos Mafia, that was similar with regard to alliance, and had multiple recruiters. I decided to make my game somewhat similar, but with resurrectors instead of recruiters, and not with Chaos Mafia's high power levels.

I included roles that had never been used before, but going by the theory that complex roles make people miss deadlines, I mostly made them single-target, single-effect roles like Douglas Hofstadter. I decided to make a somewhat large, easily united village with powerful roles, but make it hard for the village to get information. To prevent everyone from immediately claiming to the first villager to die, I delayed cardflip for one cycle. Since the village resurrectors can only resurrect users who have just been killed, there is the opportunity for a mafioso to mole the village and get resurrected. I expected the game to take a long time with all the resurrects, so I used a Unicycle format to speed it up. And items are a pain for hosts to keep track of, so I didn't include them.

A lot of users have been saying I made the village underpowered, but if a few key things had turned out differently the village would have won. Some important village roles were inactive, and other roles weren't used they way I intended them to be used. First, I gave the village a designated leader role, Gregor Samsa, and gave it to dak, probably the most experienced village leader on Smogon. But since dak wanted to be subbed out and I couldn't find a sub for him, the designated leader role never stepped up to lead. Also, the mafia hit both village resurrectors with lucky randkills early in the game, keeping them from resurrecting anyone. Tsuk, who had a role that was supposed to be used to resurrect the resurrectors, was inactive and missed his opportunity. And Quagsires, whom I had expected to mostly kill mafia, didn't have his powers activated until late in the game.

Documents:

Main document
Spreadsheet

Roles:

The First Mafia:
Dear First Mafia members,
You have decided to form a team to take control over the spirit world. However, you aren’t the most popular of the teams, so you’ll have to rely on trickery to come to power. Your members are:

Aura Guardian - Kurtz - Glass cannon infinite voter
General Spoon - Mr. Cobb - Inspector/low-priority hooker
HSA - Grigori Rasputin - Bodyguard/rogue
imperfectluck - Douglas Hofstadter - Reflexive redirector
Darkpenguin67 - John Cage - Silencer

Aura Guardian is the current team leader. If Aura Guardian dies, leadership will be passed on in the order in which the team members are displayed above. Every cycle, the leader may send one member of the team to perform a kill. Every third cycle starting on Cycle 2, he or she may send a team member to resurrect a dead user. Because of duplicate roles on the Village, it would be a good idea to make fake identities. You know the village does not contain ability checker, rogue, single-use extra lynch, prisoner’s dilemma, or mayor roles.

Dear Aura Guardian,
You are Kurtz.

On an ivory trading expedition deep in the heart of Africa, you became consumed by your own power. You appeared as a god to the native inhabitants, and now you rule over them as one. Everyone you meet comes under your spell, convinced that you are some sort of superhuman.

You have extraordinary amounts of charisma, but you are secretly dying of a tropical disease. Your lynch vote is infinitely large. However, if, at the end of the day, there are more than two votes cast against you, you die and your vote is not counted.

You are allied with the First Mafia.
This role was meant to be a weaker version of a normal lynch redirect. When Aura Guardian claimed to Steven Snype he forgot to edit the title of his PM, which said he was First Mafia. Aura Guardian was quickly lynched and never got to use his ability.
Dear General Spoon,
You are Mr. Cobb.

You know how to get inside the secrets of people’s minds. You know all the tricks. By using sleeping potions and a special machine, you can break into people’s dreams and read their secrets.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Go inside USER’s dream.” You will break into that user’s dream and steal his or her entire role PM. This involves putting your target to sleep for a period of time, so if your target’s action priority is low enough, you might stop them from executing their action. That user’s mental defenses are heightened right after you use extraction, so you can’t get into the same user’s dream twice in a row.

This role was a slightly stronger inspector - the hook only applied to resurrects and kills. Out of all the players in Mafia Rising, General Spoon was the most active. He would frequently send in the team's actions, even after death. Almost every cycle he would PM me and Lady Salamence to make sure we had gotten his team's actions when they failed. However, General Spoon acted suspiciously on Cycle 2, leading to his lynch. I advise future hosts to send players PMs when their actions fail, so that players don't have to bug the hosts to make sure the hosts got their PMs.
Dear HSA,
You are Grigori Rasputin.

During the Russian Revolution, you were a trusted friend of the Romanov royal family. You were believed to possess magic powers, and to have cured one princess of her illness. When the Bolsheviks came to kill you, you strangely were able to survive their poison and guns but eventually died due to drowning.

Each cycle you may PM the hosts, “Cycle X - Use healing magic on USER.” That user will be protected from kills that night. You may target yourself. You may also send a PM entitled “Cycle X - Become immune to USER’s poison.” If that user tries to kill you that cycle, he will think you’re dead, but you’ll actually still be alive. The kill will fail, and you will be notified.

You are allied with the Second Mafia.
Like General Spoon, HSA often sent in PMs for inactive teammates. He even blocked a kill. HSA didn't act too suspiciously, was consistently active, and didn't make any big mistakes, so he played fairly well overall.

Dear imperfectluck/Shining Latios,
You are Douglas Hofstadter.

You are the philosopher who came up with the idea of the “strange loop.” You wrote that in order for a system to become conscious, it has to have a concept of itself and and the ability to influence its own workings.

Each cycle, you may send the hosts a PM entitled “Cycle X - Strange loop USER.” Your target will have her ability redirected to herself. You may not target the same user twice in a row.

I'm surprised that a role this simple hasn't been used before, as far as I know. It usually acts as a hooker, except it's more powerful when targeting killers, persuaders, and silencers, and weaker when targeting protection roles. Imperfectluck wanted to be subbed out almost immediately, and Shining Latios had to replace him. General Spoon gave me some flak for putting a complete newbie in the place of a veteran player, but Shining Latios was P1 and was the only sub I could find. Shining Latios played very badly. Destiny Warrior moled him completely, tricking him into giving up his whole team's role PMs. Destiny Warrior didn't even have to write a fake role PM, he just claimed to be a neutral who had to complete a spreadsheet. Destiny Warrior even convinced Shining Latios he was going to be recruited by the village, which shows just how gullible SL was. In the end, the Second Mafia tricked him into godkilling himself.

Dear Darkpenguin67,
You are John Cage.

You are a sometimes gimmicky composer influenced by Eastern mysticism. Some of your pieces involve putting things on a piano’s strings or randomly generating combinations of sound samples.

Your most famous piece, 4’33”, is just four minutes and 33 seconds of silence. Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - 4’33” USER.” That user will be silenced the next cycle.

Darkpenguin67 wasn't very active. His teammates mostly sent in PMs for him, and he did little of note until he was lynched Cycle 3. He did, however, silence the_sea_prince on Cycle 1 to keep him from leading, which actually helped the village.

The Second Mafia:
Dear Second Mafia members,
You are one of two groups competing with the Village for control over the spirit world. You’re not quite sure why you decided to form a team together, but you did. Your members are:

billymills - Solid Snake - Kill-redirecting bodyguard
Steven Snype - Anthony Wiener - Hooker/announcer
ginganinja - Stereotypical JRPG Character - Inspector with HP
Da Letter El - Manfred Von Karma - Persuader/trial holder
Maxim - Predator drone - Watcher/tracker

billymills starts out as the team leader. If billymills dies, leadership will be passed on in the order in which the team members are displayed above. Each cycle, the leader may send one member of the team to kill. Every third cycle starting on Cycle 3, the leader may send a team member to resurrect a dead user. You know that the Village has some of the same roles as your team, so making false claims would be helpful. You know that the village does not have a negative voter, reverse martyr, BPV, tracker, or single-use multi-ability role.
Dear billymills,
You are Solid Snake.

You are an experienced soldier, who fought in countless wars, and stopped many Metal Gears. After having fought many formidable opponents, even the person considered the "Greatest warrior of 20th Century" and emerging victorious, you retired into the Alaskan wilderness to raise sled hounds. Your reputation is also legendary, and you are known by some as "the man who makes the impossible possible". It's up to you to prove that what they say is true.

Each cycle, you can submit "Cycle X - Use ketchup on USER1 and Mk.23 SOCOM on USER2". You will empty a bottle of tomato sauce on USER1; if that player was the target of a killer, said killer will be fooled into thinking he did his job but USER1 will stay alive. At the same time, you will use your signature weapon to shoot USER2 in the back. You can't shoot when you're not using ketchup because that would ruin your cover.

This role, taken from Metal Gear Solid Tactical Game, is a stronger version of a standard bodyguard. The redirection came into play once, when billymills redirected a kill from Quagsires to Acklow. However, billymills wasn't very active, and teammates often had to send in PMs for him.
Dear Steven Snype,
You are Anthony Wiener.

You got yourself into trouble for sending suggestive photos and messages on Twitter, leading to your resignation and to jokes about how fitting your name is.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Send photos to USER.” Your target will be too busy sexting you to act that cycle. You may not target the same user twice in a row. Also, you may PM the hosts a message of 140 characters or less, with the title “Cycle X - Tweet.” The message will be posted in the next update.

This role was designed to mole the village, a fact which Steven Snype picked up on right away. After "proving" his fake village announcer role and lynching Aura Guardian, Steven Snype was able to gather claims from all but seven users. This information proved immensely valuable for the Second Mafia, especially since it included claims from village power roles like the bodyguard and resurrector. But at the beginning of Cycle 2, Steven Snype was in such a rush to post that he didn't even wait to get his results. His teammate Da Letter El persuaded Steven Snype to make them both look clean, but Steven Snype didn't get the result that his persuasion was a full-post persuasion. He broke persuasion and was godkilled. This is partially my fault for being vague in the wording of Da Letter El's role PM, but Steven Snype still should have waited until results were out, as all players are supposed to do. However, Steven Snype continued to mole the village even after being godkilled, and occasionally sent in PMs for idle teammates. For moling the village so well, Steven Snype has earned the award for Best Mafioso.
Dear ginganinja,
You are the Stereotypical JRPG Character.

You have a wild costume, a cheesy name, and great hair. You’ve spent years training your magical powers and fighting skills in order to save the world from evil, but instead of going on the quest you wanted to go on, you had to pack up your improbably large weapon and head for a mafia game.

You cannot die by normal means. Instead, you start the game with 10 hit points and lose one hit point for each vote cast against you. If you have zero or fewer hit points at the end of a cycle, you die. Also, you can use your magic to inspect other users. Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Cast scrying spell on USER.” You will determine your target’s full role PM.

In retrospect, I made this role too powerful. The Second Mafia was supposed to be focused on gathering information, so I took extra precautions to make sure the inspector didn't die too early. But considering that ginganinja could have been resurrected when there were fewer than ten players left to vote for him, his protection was overpowered. ginganinja played this role well. He was consistently active and highly involved in the team's discussions, and often sent in lists of actions for his team.
Dear Da Letter El,
You are Manfred Von Karma.

You were the once the greatest prosecutor of all time, but that was of course until Phoenix Wright caught you trying to get your revenge on Miles Edgeworth. You have much experience with the court of law and you know your way around negotiations.

You do not have much in terms of physical abilities, but you are a very accomplished prosecutor. One time only you may send a pm to the hosts stating "Cycle X - Initiate Trial". The following cycle instead of the person with the most votes getting lynched, the second person with the most votes will be framed for a crime and lynched instead. In the event that there is a tie, the people with the most votes will all be lynched.

After you broke out of prison you were able to acquire some Blackmail Documents. You may send a pm every cycle stating "Cycle X - Force User to Testify:XXX". The following cycle your target must say whatever you put in place of the XXX in every post. Any words that you put in place of the XXX should not be longer than 24 words. If your target fails to say XXX, you will release the Blackmail Documents that you have on your target and your target's credibility will be ruined, effectively killing them. Blackmailing is neutralized by the effect of silencing. You cannot target the same person twice in a row.

Note to future hosts: don't use full post persuaders. Even after Steven Snype was godkilled, people kept on breaking persuasion. In all, four users were godkilled because of this role. Da Letter El used this role effectively; he was able to pull off a successful Trial, which solidified the Second Mafia's hold on the game. He was also very active, and sent in multiple sets of team actions.
Dear Maxim,
You are a Predator drone.

Who needs Terminators when drones already exist? You can spy on people and kill them remotely with missiles, all without the need for artificially intelligent liquid metal.

Each cycle, you may send the hosts a PM with the title “Cycle X - Spy on USER.” You will find out the identities of everyone who targets that user or is targeted by that user during the cycle.

This role also fits with the Second Mafia's moling/info gathering theme. Maxim played well despite being new, despite his occasional inactivity. He did a good job of appearing clean, and was marked as village in Acklow's spreadsheet all game.

The Village:

Dear dak,
You are Gregor Samsa.

Your job sucks, your boss is a jerk, your family members are slackers, and you don’t really have any reason to exist anymore. To make matters worse, you’ve just transformed into a giant cockroach.

When people pay attention to you, they’re too disgusted to get anywhere near you; when they try to ignore you, they can’t keep themselves from remembering you exist. Any votes cast for you count as “No Lynch,” and any “No Lynch” votes count for you. Also, each cycle you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Crawl near USER.” You will distract that user into targeting you instead of their original target.

You are allied with the Village.
This was supposed to be a dedicated village leader role. The user with this role was supposed to clean himself Cycle 1 by asking everyone to vote for him, and then go on to gather claims. As such, I gave this role to dak, one of the most experienced village leaders on Smogon. However, dak didn't actually want to play and had been signed up as a joke. I couldn't find a sub for him since there were four other games going on at the time, so he never stepped up to lead. By the time I had found a sub, the Second Mafia was already far ahead.
Dear Paperblade,
You are Fred Phelps.

You are the founder of the homophobic cult known as the Westboro Baptist Church. You are reviled by everyone except a few family members; your views are so extreme that even the KKK doesn’t want anything to do with you.

Your most notorious policy is protesting at US soldiers’ funerals and calling the deaths evidence that God is angry at America. Every other cycle starting on Cycle 3, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Protest at USER’s funeral,” where USER is someone who was killed the previous cycle. You will make your target angry enough to come back to life, but your target can only vote and not use actions.

One half of the village resurrector duo. Paperblade claimed to Steven Snype and was killed Cycle 2; he was never able to make a resurrection. After his role PM was revealed, Paperblade collaborated with Acklow and with other dead users to lead the village.
Dear Ditto,
You are Neo.

You are the One. After Trinity brought you back to life, you gained control over everything in the Matrix. While the current fighting doesn’t take place in the Matrix, you still know all martial arts and have a badass plasma gun.

Starting on Cycle 1, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Use plasma gun on USER.” You will fry your target with a beam of white-hot plasma, killing them. Your plasma gun takes time to recharge, though, so you won’t be able to use it the following cycle.

This vigilante was a major source of the village's power, but didn't end up killing anyone. The only kill Ditto attempted was aimed at mafia, but by Ditto's bad luck the mafioso he tried to kill was BPV. Ditto never claimed to Steven Snype, and was namekilled Cycle 2. He played well during the short time he was alive.
Dear theangryscientist,
You are Gustav Mahler.

You composed long, sweeping symphonies that often have to do with death and the afterlife. When you heard there was a conflict having to do with death, you interrupted your own afterlife to join it.

Just as the “protagonist” of your first symphony was resurrected in your second, you can resurrect users. Every even cycle starting on Cycle 2, you may submit “Cycle X - Resurrect USER,” where USER is someone who was killed the previous cycle. That user will come back to life, but your target will only be able to use actions and will not be able to vote.

This was the village's other inspector role, and was the more powerful of the two due to its ability to resurrect the vigilantes and the other resurrector. If it had been used on Neo, this role would have given the village two kills every other night. But zorbees, like Paperblade, was never able to resurrect anyone. He was namekilled on Cycle 1. zorbees was one of the users who never claimed to Steven Snype.
Dear Acklow,
You are Anonymous.

You are a loosely-organized hacker collective with an opposition to all forms of authority. Your members have been responsible for a number of high-profile hackings, most notably a series of attacks on opponents of WikiLeaks.

You may send the hosts a PM entitled “Cycle X - Hack into USER1, USER2, and USER3’s computers.” You will randomly determine the role name of one user, the ability of another, and the alliance of a third. However, you will not know what piece of information goes with what user. USER1, USER2, and USER3 must all be different.

I expected this role to be used in either of two ways. First, it could be used to find information on people who either didn't claim or gave suspicious claims, thus increasing the chance of lynching mafia. Second, it could be used on the same three people three nights in a row to hopefully achieve the same effect as three inspections in three nights. Acklow used the first strategy. His targets were usually either suspected mafiosi or people who didn't claim. Anonymous was also a good role for leading the village, and Acklow took advantage of that. On Cycle 2 after Steven Snype was godkilled, Acklow stepped up to lead the village. While gathering claims, he discovered a glitch in the forums that could potentially let him tell real claims from fake ones. If text that has been copied and pasted from Google Docs to Smogon is italicized, color tags appear at every line break. This error let Acklow find the fake claims of Aura Guardian and General Spoon, but Da Letter El and HSA's fakes appeared real and Blue_Tornado's real PM appeared fake. As village leader, Acklow only ever lynched mafia and gave good orders to his teammates. Acklow's only misplay was claiming to Steven Snype, which didn't matter because he publicly revealed his role. Acklow has earned the award for Best Villager.
Dear Blue_Tornado,
You are Nostradamus.

Born Michel de Nostredame, you are a French seer who has become world famous for publishing a collection of Prophecies. You have attracted a large following that credits you for predicting many major world events. However, most academics dispute this and claim your prophecies are so tenuous and vague that they should not be considered accurate predictions. You will make good use of this incertitude in this war.

Each cycle, you may send a PM entitled "Cycle X – Writing Prophecy" In the main body of the message, you may assemble a statement about the game which can be answered by the host with either true or false. This statement will be published in the next update, but only you will get to know its truthfulness. You may not include more than 2 user names, role names, or faction names in a prophecy.

This was the village's main info-gathering role. I expected it to be used almost exclusively as an alliance checker. In the short time he was alive, Blue_Tornado made two prophecies. The first probably would have been better used for alliance-checking a player, but the second was pivotal in confirming that Steven Snype was mafia. Blue_Tornado never claimed to Steven Snype.
Dear LifeAdmiral,
You are the bicycle.

Everyone’s had a ride.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Give USER a ride.” Your target will ride you around all cycle instead of using his or her action. You may not give the same user a ride twice in a row.

LifeAdmiral was inactive for most of the game. Before he died he only sent in one action, but it was an important one. He hooked Da Letter El, which probably saved the village from a godkill because DLE was persuading the inactive Tsuk.
Dear KingofKongs,
You are Harry Houdini.

After becoming famous as an escape artist, you turned to debunking the paranormal. When you heard there was going to be a seance, you showed up so you could prove it was a fraud. But you didn’t expect anything like what actually happened.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Break USER out of traps.” All attempts on your target’s life will fail, because apparently every killer in the game uses some sort of Saw-style death trap. You cannot protect the same user twice in a row, although you may protect yourself.

For the most part, KingofKongs played solidly. He was active, claimed to Acklow, and even blocked a kill with his protection. But he claimed to Steven Snype, which led to his being killed Cycle 3.
Dear Destiny Warrior,
You are the Chameleon.

You are the Spider-Man villain capable of assuming any disguise. You used to work as a Soviet spy, and more recently have tried impersonate President Obama.

You do not appear on the player list during Night 0. You must send a PM during Night 0 to select an alias of up to 20 alphanumeric characters plus spaces. You will then assume a position on the player list with that alias from the beginning of Day 1. Each cycle, you may PM the hosts your vote and/or a message, which will be posted in the update under your alias. You may post under your Smogon name, but if you do this to cast an extra vote, only your most recently made vote will count.

This was a troll role, based on a similar role in floW aifaM. I gave it to Destiny Warrior because I thought he might be troll-rolled Cycle 1. Destiny Warrior picked the name Fox McCloud, after his role name in my earlier game Lord of the Flies Mafia. While this made his identity obvious, it didn't matter much because people could tell it was him just by looking at the signup list. However, Destiny Warrior lived up to his trolling duty by moling Shining Latios. He claimed to be a neutral who needed to complete a spreadsheet of all users' alliances, and even though the claim wasn't all that believable, Shining Latios sent Destiny Warrior his complete team PM.
Dear the sea prince,
You are Harry Potter.

You are the wizard who defeated Voldemort after destroying his Horcruxes. You could have become the master of death, since you had the Invisibility Cloak and Elder Wand, but for some reason you decided not to retrieve the Resurrection Stone and complete the Deathly Hallows.

You can cast Protego, a protective spell. Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Protego USER.” Any user who targets your target will have her action redirected back to herself. Your ability does not stop kills, though.

the sea prince didn't play very well. He asked to lead the village Cycle 0, making him look somewhat scummy but mostly just clueless. the sea prince only sent in one action the entire game, and was godkilled because he was too inactive to post what he had been persuaded to post.
Dear Walrein,
You are Ridley.

You are the dragon-like alien that leads the Space Pirates. You’ve fought Samus in every Metroid game except two and lost every time, but you always come back to life in some improbable way.

Right now, you are Ridley’s cute, fluffy juvenile form, Little Birdie. You don’t have any powers. However, under certain circumstances you might grow into the full-fledged Ridley and gain the power to kill.

This role was put in the game to make sure the village wasn't devastated by losing its killing power early. But Walrein, like Ditto, was never able to successfully kill a mafioso despite targeting scum. He died when Shining Latios reflected his kill back on him, leaving Walrein quite puzzled as to why he was killed with his own flavor. Walrein also claimed to both Steven Snype and Acklow.
Dear Tsuk,
You are Dr. John Hammond.

You are a billionaire, the founder of International Genetic Technologies. You decided to build Jurassic Park, a very special biological preserve. Using your companies resources, you have cloned real life Dinosaurs using DNA found in the blood that ancient mosquitoes found in pre-historic amber once sucked and just filling in the blanks with avian and reptilian DNA. You tried to make sure that it is impossible for them to reproduce, however you failed because frog DNA allowed some of them to change sexes. All hell broke loose when an attempted corporate espionage attempt ended up with the security barriers down and the dinosaurs started to rampage. In the end, you and a group of other guests managed to make it to the helipad to evacuate before getting killed by the Tyrannosaurus Rex. Others were not that fortunate.

You may send a PM entitled "Cycle X - Making dinosaur out of USER" You can only use this power on users that died the previous cycle. Through your expertise in cloning and genetic science, you will create a custom dinosaur which is able to perform the same actions as its genetic human counterpart. You can only create up to three dinosaurs, and only use one dinosaur's action at a time. Not all roles can be copied, and each dinosaur is only good for one use. Make the right choices in whether you want to create a dinosaur or not, because a corpse’s DNA will become corrupted if not sampled immediately, thus making it impossible to create a dinosaur out of it.

I stole a few different games' roles, including this role from Dude. This role was supposed to act as a backup for the village, copying powerful village roles like the vigilantes. It was particularly supposed to back up the resurrectors (the resurrectors' previous-cycle restriction would have been voided for a dinosaur copy). However, Tsuk was too inactive to ever use his role, and the village was under enemy control when the resurrectors died. He also never claimed to either village leader. Tsuk wanted to be subbed out, but I couldn't find a sub for him until after he died.
Dear Cereza,
You are Sigmund Freud.

You founded modern psychology and revolutionized how people think about their minds. You identified the mind’s division into conscious and unconscious levels, and described the mind as being composed of an id, ego, and superego. You also focused on people’s attitudes toward sex, and theorized that repressed sexual desires could cause mental illness.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Psychoanalyze USER.” You will talk to that user to find out something about his mind. You’re not yet sure how the information you gather will be useful.

This role was meant to check whether users' flavor conflicted with the PMs they claimed. The flavor for this role was fun to write - it included messages such as "has a strong desire to return to the womb" for Neo and "has repressed homosexual urges" for Fred Phelps. Cereza wasn't very active and only used his role three times; he claimed to neither Steven Snype nor Acklow, leading him to be marked as suspicious in the latter's spreadsheet.
Dear Bob squob,
You are Marcel Duchamp.

Aerial blossom empowers the volatile grape. Throw swords from a windowsill. Underneath the gray room, there is a heavy zero that beams trash into the torch. Flopping inky ferns cover the stairwell where hunger violently sleeps.

Each cycle, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - R. Mutt 1917 USER1 and USER2.” The first user will not be able to post a lynch vote the next cycle, and the second will not be able to post anything other than a lynch vote.

This role would be more useful on the mafia than than on the village; it was originally going to be a mafia role, but was switched with John Cage to make the First Mafia less powerful. This role didn't see much use, which is due to both bob_squob's inactivity and the role's relative lack of utility for the village. bob_squob only sent in one action all game, which ended up doing nothing.

Neutral:
Dear Quagsires,
You are Kerrigor.

You are a prince of the Old Kingdom, but just being the ruler of the living isn’t enough for you. You have also been secretly studying necromancy and plotting to become the ruler of the undead. Soon you will be a force capable of conquering both sides of death.

For you, life and death are reversed. While alive, you count as being eliminated for other factions’ win conditions. You cannot vote while alive, but you can vote while dead. Any inspection that targets you while you are alive fails, but you can be inspected after death. Partial inspections that target you after you die become full inspections. Some resurrectors in this game can only resurrect users who died the previous cycle, but they can resurrect you during any cycle. Your role PM is not revealed upon death, but it is revealed if you are resurrected. You lose automatically if you are godkilled. After death you gain the power to kill, which you may use every night. Each cycle while you are dead, you may PM the hosts “Cycle X - Kill USER.” You will kill your target by ripping him apart with your tendrils of darkness.

You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone is dead.
A lot of people have been calling this role broken, and they're probably right - the parallels to the Samara role from Chaos Mafia are easy to see. In fact, before the Second Mafia started taking control of lynches, I thought Quagsires was the most likely to win. I had intended for every alliance, including Kerrigor, to have an equal chance of winning, so I made Kerrigor stronger than the average wolf and erred on the side of more power. It is in this role that the game's theme is most fully realized. I expected the user with this role to write a fake wolf role PM that explains the role's uninspectability and lack of role PM reveal. I then expected that user to intentionally look scummy and get lynched early. Right before dying, I thought Kerrigor would post the fake in the main thread along with a plea to stop the lynch, which of course would not be effective. Then the killing spree would begin. When designing the game I had expected Kerrigor to mostly kill mafia, so I made the mafia more powerful to compensate. While the village is no threat at all to Kerrigor after the resurrectors die, the mafia's resurrection power is decentralized, so I thought Kerrigor would tend to kill mafia. Quagsires, however, did not use this role as I had intended. He acted as if he were a normal mafioso and didn't try to get lynched early by making some "mistake." Quagsires wrote a not-very-believable fake mayor PM, which led the Second Mafia and the village to both mark him as mafia in their spreadsheets. At one point he even claimed to get powers after death, which is not a good claim for someone who looks scummy and is trying to die. Although nobody tried to kill him until Cycle 5, Quagsires was the most-targeted user in the entire game. He was targeted a total of fifteen times over the course of the game, not counting the final cycle. Since I had relied on Kerrigor's kills to balance the mafia teams but Quagsires didn't die until late in the game, the mafia teams were more powerful than I had intended.

Awards:

Best mafioso: Steven Snype
Best villager:
Acklow
Best move:
Destiny Warrior moling Shining Latios
Most active: General Spoon
Worst luck: Walrein
Funniest moment: 99 bottles of beer on the wall
MVP: Acklow

Conclusion:
In Mafia Rising, many things I'd planned for didn't happen as intended. The wolf didn't die early, the designated leader role didn't lead, the village resurrectors didn't resurrect anyone, the vigilantes never succeeded with their kills, and some of the less experienced players played better than the "big names." But by no means was the game a failure - the players often used their roles in creative ways and made the game more interesting than it would have been if they had just done what I'd thought they'd do. I hope you had fun playing or watching this game.

I must say, this game was quite fun. (unlike that absolute mess that MUDS is :P)

Yeah, the first couple of cycles I didn't exactly know what my role was supposed to accomplish, besides finding killers or some such rubbish, but I found it to be the perfect moling role.

Really, my plan this game was just to survive and mole the village as long as possible so as to collect info.

I did make a couple blunders though. You see, Steven Snype had told Acklow that I targeted him cycle 0 and saw him target the same people. But I really had targeted Da Letter El, and when Acklow pressured me to give him my result pm, I just decided to give him the real results. (I did know Steven had lied to Acklow based on our spreadsheet, but he didn't mention whom and I figured leaving would just give acklow a reason to lynch me).

Another minor screw up I made was giving Acklow my actual role pm (with the obvious stuff edited out of course). I figured village tracker was the same thing that mine was, but I also inserted the other part of my role, watcher. Luckily, nobody seemed to notice.

As it turns out, I was active for most of the game, but didn't really send in too many actions myself lest I wreck Steven Snype's schemes.

I started to panic when Spoon started to lead, since we had him pinned down as first mafia. But after Snype supposedly found that glitch (I didn't see any color tags...) we basically won at that point.

Meh, that's just my two cents.

But after Snype supposedly found that glitch (I didn't see any color tags...)
It's in Chrome. When you paste the text from Google Docs into the rich text editor (default post editor), it retains the formatting Google Docs applies. Since Chrome apparently does not support the rich text editor, it reverts to the plain text editor, which shows the tags in the Quick Reply box under the PM. You can see the tags in Firefox and other browsers by clicking the
button to switch modes.

Hosts can circumvent this exploit by:
- writing their PMs in Notepad or a similar text editor and hand-writing the tags if any italics or bold is necessary
- writing in Google Docs then pasting to Notepad then pasting to Smogon (strips the formatting, since Notepad doesn't support it) and hand-writing any needed tags
- pasting the PM from Google Docs into the plain text editor, which can be selected in the Edit Options page in the User Control Panel or with the
button (also strips the formatting) and hand-writing any needed tags
- selecting the whole PM and clicking the
button, which strips all formatting from the text

The plain text editor is shown selected here (rich text editor is called WYSIWYG editor):

And here's a picture of the colour tags:

In games with this exploit, players can fake their PMs by writing their fakes in Google Docs or manually applying the tags, though the latter has more room for error.

It's only fair everyone knows. :)

And while exploits like this are neat or whatever, they're not strategically sound anyway as shown, because DLE and HSA fixed their fakes while BT's PM came up as a fake, even before it was publicised.

From my point of view this game went from bad (Aura Guardian not editing his PM title) to worse (color tags) to pretty damn awful (hailflameblast asking Shining Latios for our team PM) pretty quickly. Though really, even if I wasn't found out through lacking color tags in my fake (therefore hopefully allowing me to lead the village in favor of the deposed Steven Snype), I would have been exposed anyways by virtue of having the misfortune to have Shining Latios sub onto my team.

Of course I didn't at that time know that we were doomed to lose the moment this jackass subbed in.

EDIT: Believe it or not, I don't think our team ever requested to have the kid subbed out for somebody who wasn't a total moron.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I must say that I really did enjoy this game. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a mafia game as I did in this one. My PM trying to convince the_sea_prince not to post was amazing, and negotiating with shining latios, while it did take a while, was quite fun as well. And then there was getting him to post something random while persuaded which was pretty excellent. I think I'm actually the only one this game who followed my posting persuasion perfectly, so that's something to be proud of! (I am not sure if i was SL targeted n3 or if tsp was protecting acklow; i had assumed the latter but either are possible). The village KNOWING that I had used my trial and STILL messing that up was pretty hilarious, too. The HD godkill made me sad though :(. He would have given us a majority and we wouldn't have needed to vote for quagsires.....

This game was like Troll 2. It was so bad it was good...for me, anyway.

Honestly, the design with Kerrigor I think is fine; it becomes slightly obvious where the extra kill is coming from when quagsire's role PM doesn't show. The only reason we lynched him was that we were afraid that he was the one that killed walrein. And while I would have loved to ask walrein if he killed himself (he probably would have told me since I doubt he would have seen the significance of it), I never got around to it. So we worked under the assumption that quagsires was some role that got to choose to hide or kill, since that's a wolf role I've seen used before and would make at least some sense. I and Steven had originally planned to leave Quagsires alone until the very end because at first we assumed he had nothing or was at the very least weaker while alive.

Steven and I did a lot of the general planning on roles and general meta of the game, which was fun. Ginganinja also did a pretty good job with planning, too, but I talked to him less than I did steven. billy was pretty inactive but helped out a bit at the beginning and a bit at the end, and maxim did a really good job of staying under the village radar especially considering this is one of his first (if not his very first) game of mafia on smogon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that ginga did a good job of moling or at the very least being trusted up until the middle of day 4, as well as being a bit of an accomplice in the sea prince thing.

Good job team, it was fun working with you!

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
And while exploits like this are neat or whatever, they're not strategically sound anyway as shown, because DLE and HSA fixed their fakes while BT's PM came up as a fake, even before it was publicised.
Just like to point out that I noticed these before the game started and wrote my pm out of my original because of paranoia. IIRC I said something about it in our channel too, but I never bother to log anything unless it's extremely important or funny.

Speaking of funny logs, I have a couple of SL logs but I am unsure whether or not I'm mean enough to...

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Don't imo.

The best log was lost, so let them all die.
It's not one about girls, although I still hate you for losing that. There was enough gold in that to back up the amount of money neexes to pay our debt.

Nah, what I'm talking about is the psychotic rampage before we let you in.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with DLE here that this was pretty fun. I too found out about that colour tags and sent in my fake which led Acklow to straight up tell me that I was clean. That all came apart however when Maxim sent in his actual results to Acklow which showed me targeting Quagsires instead of the person I had told Acklow to target. Still, I was able to survive a little longer, just enough for DLE to use his Trial which basically sealed the game. I assume that the village knew most of the second mafia by then but it was too late. We basically had lynch control.

Quagsires role was annoying I guess. My role basically gave the Second Mafia time at the end to figure out what Quagsires was. I gotta say it was pretty stressful at the final stages of the game wondering what the hell to do. Basically, thanks to me surviving for a little while my actual plan was to inspect Quagsires and throw a kill and lynch vote at him. Had all those failed I would have ressurrected him and threw everything but the kitchen sink at him as well. So yeah id like to think that without my BPV role Quagsires could have very easily won this game.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Staraptorcall said:
I expected this role to be used in either of two ways. First, it could be used to find information on people who either didn't claim or gave suspicious claims, thus increasing the chance of lynching mafia. Second, it could be used on the same three people three nights in a row to hopefully achieve the same effect as three inspections in three nights. Acklow used the first strategy. His targets were usually either suspected mafiosi or people who didn't claim. Anonymous was also a good role for leading the village, and Acklow took advantage of that. On Cycle 2 after Steven Snype was godkilled, Acklow stepped up to lead the village. While gathering claims, he discovered a glitch in the forums that could potentially let him tell real claims from fake ones. If text that has been copied and pasted from Google Docs to Smogon is italicized, color tags appear at every line break. This error let Acklow find the fake claims of Aura Guardian and General Spoon, but Da Letter El and HSA's fakes appeared real and Blue_Tornado's real PM appeared fake. As village leader, Acklow only ever lynched mafia and gave good orders to his teammates. Acklow's only misplay was claiming to Steven Snype, which didn't matter because he publicly revealed his role. Acklow has earned the award for Best Villager.
Staraptor Call said:
Funniest moment: 99 bottles of beer on the wall
MVP: Acklow
FUCK YEAH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)