The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Stacked team
>Only 1 other Auburn player drafted in the first round

lolok

If Auburn was stacked, what the hell does that make the likes of USC, UNC, etc last year? College's version of the Pro Bowl teams?

The NFL draft is not a good representation of talent. Just look at where Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen went compared to Colt McCoy (who might have fallen to the fourth round if the Browns passed on him). The NFL draft is a good representation of which positions are hard to fill and undrafted players go on to great success a lot, and most players from every round fail badly.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
1. NFC South is the best division. Saints aren't as injury-riddled anymore and have a likely improvement over Reggie with another Heisman winner in Ingram, Falcons are the Falcons and added Julio Jones to help out Roddy White and Gonzo, and the Buccaneers are young and have a growing stud in Josh Freeman. plus, the panthers can't be as bad as they were last year, especially if Cam doesn't totally bomb.

2. Rams. Yes. *high-fives shinyskarmory*
Bradford's got a year under his belt, solid pickups in guys like Mikell and Dahl will help, SJax has another year or two (and if he gets injured or implodes, they actually have backups now!), and they play in arguably the worst division in the league (AFC West is pretty damn close though).

3. Highly drafted QB's either end up like Matt Ryan or Tim Couch. Basically, they end up the same as lower picks, but with higher expectations, and a longer way to fall if they fail. And really, as long as Carolina backs Newton up with players that aren't crap, they'll get better. And, well, they do have a young team, so as long as they develop, they'll get better.

It's not like I'm especially high on the guy (I haven't been a fan of his or anything, hell no), and there is a chance he'll flop, but he isn't exactly doomed to fail. He's got targets like Olsen and Gettis, and two running backs to take a load off him.

4. "The NFL draft is a good representation of which positions are hard to fill and undrafted players go on to great success a lot, and most players from every round fail badly."

Exactly.

Anyways, I should stop rambling. Just felt like catching up and all.

EDIT: Wait, there's still a McCown playing in the NFL? xD

Well, almost time for the first game of the season Thurs...anyone gonna start up a predictions thread like last year?

And Garrard gets released...kinda odd since you knew it was inevitable, yet right before the season started is a tad surprising, though it does save the Jaguars a bit of money. Eh, I say Niners grab him for cheap if they can, better backup than...uh...yeah...there is no 3rd stringer, unless I missed someone they picked off draft waivers.

I really don't care about evaluating Cam Newton's football talents but anybody who doesn't think he isn't a scummy fuck is wrong. Next you'll be telling me he didn't know anything about what his father was doing with regard to the whole pay-to-play scheme. I know *I* had absolutely no input or say about where I went to uni... *ahem*

In real news, apparently David Garrard has been cut for literally no reason and the Jags are going to start Luke Mc-Fucking-Cown week 1.
if you're gonna get mad over Cam knowing about the pay to play deal, I guess you might as well just stop watching the NFL at this point.

It should be pretty clear at this point that almost every high profile college football player, if not athlete, has received "illegal" benefits from Universities one way or another in the last decade

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
David Garrard wasn't released for literally no reason, he was released because he's never going to take the team anywhere and was causing problems internally. Did you read the article you linked?

Anyway SO EXCITE FOR THURSDAY!

if you're gonna get mad over Cam knowing about the pay to play deal, I guess you might as well just stop watching the NFL at this point.

It should be pretty clear at this point that almost every high profile college football player, if not athlete, has received "illegal" benefits from Universities one way or another in the last decade
I'm not going to argue against your unfounded claim that all high profile players take advantage of the system, but throwing Newton in the same boat is another story. He didn't sell a jersey, or get a fan to give him free stuff; he (allegedly) put himself up for auction to sell his transfer to a school. He tried to get Miss State to pay him and his family $150,000 in return for signing with him! As far as NCAA rule violations go, that's pretty high up there.

First week looks amazing schedule wise. Saints @ Packers, Steelers @ Ravens, Cowboys @ Jets, Colts @ Texans, and Falcons @ Bears should all be great games, with the first two possibly going to be among the best games all season. Get hype.

WaterBomb, you do not drop a quarterback on the eve of the season with no backup plan. The Jaguars are very much consigned to a losing season now unless they somehow miraculously improved their defense (I do not pay much attention to preseason bullshit). Garrard was good for being the 10th-15th best quarterback each season, which is better than what they have now, someone good for being the 26th-32nd best starting quarterback each week (I say week since these players are usually shuffled around nonstop).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
WaterBomb, you do not drop a quarterback on the eve of the season with no backup plan. The Jaguars are very much consigned to a losing season now unless they somehow miraculously improved their defense (I do not pay much attention to preseason bullshit). Garrard was good for being the 10th-15th best quarterback each season, which is better than what they have now, someone good for being the 26th-32nd best starting quarterback each week (I say week since these players are usually shuffled around nonstop).
Agreeing completely. At least when the Bills played Trent Edwards for the first two games last year, it was because the new coach/GM combo thought he looked good in preseason and gave him the regular season audition. Failed spectacularly, he did. Del Rio knows what he has in Garrard, and while it's still suspect to wait this long, he did what he felt best for the team.

Man Thursday can't come fast enough. So excited :).

GO PACK GO. An early advantage for the Falcons is always appreciated.

A few playoff predictions (can somebody make a weekly prediction thread??? that was fun)

1. Packers
2. Falcons
3. Eagles
4. Cardinals
5. Saints
6. Lions

(bird dom)

1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. Chargers
4. Texans
5. Ravens
6. Jets

No colts :0

Eagles, Saints, Packers, Patriots, and Steelers are the "mortal locks" for playoffs. Given that every year we lose at least around 5 teams, I am going to go with.

(1) Eagles
(2) Saints
(3) Packers
(4) Buccaneers (really whichever team out of Falcons/Buccaneers does better in the NFC South, but I have to pick one so!)
(5) Cowboys (they still have the talent, last year was fucked up)
(6) Rams

(1) Steelers
(2) Chargers
(3) Patriots
(4) Jets
(5) Ravens
(6) Raiders (biggest problem is the coaching change...you are such a fucking moron Al Davis)

Manning officially out for at least Week 1...looks like the AFC South is up for the Texans to grab, or fuck up and not win I guess.

Also, go Saints! For tomorrow.

(1) Steelers
(2) Chargers
(3) Patriots
(4) Jets
(5) Ravens
(6) Raiders (biggest problem is the coaching change...you are such a fucking moron Al Davis)
i will bet you everything i own that you will be wrong

because you forgot to pick an afc south team xD

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
1. Falcons
2. Eagles
3. Packers
4. Rams
5. Saints
6. Cowboys

1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. Chefs
4. Colts
5. Jets
6. Ravens

Yeah....

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I guess Manning won't be breaking all of Favre's records after all...

Also seconding the weekly matchups thread!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also seconding the weekly matchups thread!
If someone else wants to deal with the upkeep, they can do it. I did it last year and that spreadsheet was cumbersome and difficult to keep up with. I'm just not gonna have the time to keep track of it week to week this season...

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Falcons
Eagles
Packers
Rams
Giants
Buccs

Pats
Steelers
Chargers
Texans
Colts
Ravens

Assuming the 4 1/2 - 6 week recovery time for the first surgery holds true, plus a couple extra weeks recovery for whatever went wrong the first time, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to see him in a uniform again by the second half of the season.

And remember, the Brady-less Patriots got by with an unknown at QB. Caldwell's no Belichick, but I think they'll manage better than most people expect them to. By no means do I expect them to excel, but they could easily go 4-4 in the first half of the season without Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)