Wait...mixed metagross. You trolling?

OK this is a team i just made up surrounding a mixed metagross. The only thing that ruins this team is rain which ruins metagross being a great answer to skarm and ferrothorn. and i have been having trouble really making this team complement metagros and really make people think. "I just got beat by a mixed metagross". so please just make this team better so mixed metagross can really sweep teams.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch

So this is something to not fuck around with. It has a great ability, a great STAB, a decent movepool and great stat distribution. It also can 2HKO every thing not steel in the metagame is outrage and it can use the rest of it's moves to take out steel types. It can really put dents into teams when used right especially when all the steels are gone.

Ok so the adamant 252 Atk and 252 Spe is to basically make sure dragonite hits hard and can
be moderately fast with it's middling speed. Outrage is like a mix of the "Easy Button" and a rape button. Should I say more. Earthquake is for heatran and other fire types. Fire punch is to 2HKO skarmory and forretress and OHKO ferrothorn. And finally ExtremeSpeed is for priority.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Ok so this is my main counter to Thundurus. Gastrodon doesn't take shut from HP Ice. And also Focus Miss' accuracy is very unreliable, letting me set up a toxic or hit it with ice beam. And also storm drain makes me a great counter to scarf politoed and rotom-w without a scarf. Since toxic greatly cripples them. Also I really like how this thing can take hits.

So the EV's are to make sure gastrodon takes a lot of hits on the special side of the spectrum. Toxic is for major stall ruining politoed and rotom-w's day. Also it can aid against life orb'd pokemon making the residual damage greater. Recover is for stall and so I don't die while stalling toxic on rotom-w. Ice beam is to hit thundurus and other flying types while earth power is for heatran and other fire types. Also It can be used for jirachi.

Metagross (M) @ leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Metagross makes a great bulky lead that can set up stealth rocks and still dish out great power. Also I has access to priority to take out focus sashers and has Hammer Arm for steels. It also has clear body as an ability so intimidate and other stat changes do not affect him. I gave him an EV set to give him a lot of bulk with its HP and max attack so it can fire off STAB meteor mashes and hope for and attack raise giving it an even more power to give out.

For the moves I gave him stealth rock to it can get its entry hazards up so things like salamence and multiscale dragonite take 25% and other things take more damage from the spikes I set up. Meteor Mash is for a main STAB that also for an attack raise. Hammer Arm is for steels like magnezone who want to trap me and ferrothorn. Again bullet punch is for revenge killing and pokemon with focus sash.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EV's: 120 HP | 252 Atk | 136 SDef
Adamant Nature [+Atk, -SAtk]
-Bulk up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

Conkeldurr *is my favorite fighting type this gen because of its amazing bulk to utilize a Bulk up set. With *access to drain punch and Mach punch it can become a great bulky sweeper and revenge killer.

The EV's are to give conk enough special bulk so when it uses bulk up it becomes a great tank. Bulk up is to boost attack and defense while drain punch is to recover off a lot of HP from the amount of attack it gained and so it can stay at a healthy HP. Mach punch is to take out anything that is low enough to be taken out. Payback is to take out reuniclus because of how if it is calm mind like most of *them are they can't OHKO without a boost while they are 2HKO'd by conkeldurr.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

I bring you the menace known as starmie. Base 115 speed and base 100 special attack. Plus the infamous bolt-beam coverage and a STAB life orb and sometimes rain boosted hydro pump. Plus recover and rapid spin. and starmie can outspeed and check thundurus, gyarados, most bulky waters, and basically everything that is frail enough to get raped.

The moves are are simple the STAB hydro pump for maximum awesome power that is a force to not underestimate. And then the boltbeam coverage that is still not resisted.(one of the only thing gamefreak didn't troll on). and finally there is rapid spin is to take away hazards that can hurt my team.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def /
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Ok so my final pokémon is skarmory. It was replaced for weezing because of better typing and defense. It is also one of my most crucial members on my team. Because it can check haxorus, excadrill and landorus. It also lays up spikes during times like when haxorus is outraging and I can just set up hazards and roost off damage.

So the EV's are standard so you can look 'em up for an explanation. So spikes to let anything switch in regret it because I can usually set up all three layers. Brave bird is to damage the things it walls and to make sure skarmory is not complete taunt bait. Whirlwind is fo phazing to use in conjunction with the hazards I set up. Roost is to heal off damage to prevent being killed to early.

Aerodactyl -Metagross, weezing and ferrothorn rape him with their attacks.
Breloom -Get sleep clause up and wall him with weezing and break his sub.
Conkeldurr -Weezing and starmie.
Darmanitan - starmie if not scarfed and if he is scarfed then just see what he locks himself into and the switch to he appropriate resist
Deoxys-S -metagross and basically everything else.

Dragonite - rocks and starmie.
Empoleon -starmie
Espeon -metagross and starmie.
Excadrill - weezing walls the he'll outta' it
Gengar - metagross can take a hit and KO. Plus starmie can outspeed
Gyarados - Starmie has thunderbolt and weezing can thunderbolt and will-o-wisp
Haxorus - weezing and starmie if he's banded.
Heatran -starmie Han hydro pump him.
Heracross -Weezing walls the he'll outta it
Hydreigon -dragonite can set up dragon dance with multiscale and starmie outspeeds everything but scarfed and I can just use nattorei as fire move bait.
Infernape -weezing and starmie kill him.
Jirachi - metagross rapes racking since rachi only has fire
Punch to touch him.
Jolteon -Metagross can kill this tings since thunderbolt only 2HKO and ferrothorn walls him.
Kingdra - meh ferrothorn and weezing.
Kyurem -metagross says hai.
Landorus -Starmie can revenge and weezing and nattorei can wall it.
Latios - Starmie, heatran and metagross can counter it easily.
Lilligant - starmie can revenge and heatran can wall it.
Lucario - weezing can take SD variants while starmie handles the nasty plot.
Machamp -starmie can revenge it and wee if walls it to no end.
Magnezone - Metagross can take a t-bolt or hidden power fire and can kill with earthquake. Starmie outspends all but the scarf variants and heatran can wall it.
Mamoswine - weezing and ferrothron can wall it.
Metagross - starmie can hydro pump and weezing can wall most variants while ferrothorn can wall the ones weezing doesn't
Mienshao - starmie outspends and ko's
Reuniclus - this one is tricky and causes me trouble so metagross is my best bet.
Roserade - metagross, starmie, heatran, weezing, and ferrothorn wall it.
Salamence -Starmie revenges mixed sets while weezing walls DD sets.
Sawsbuck - metagross and wee if are my best bets.
Scizor - metagross, heatran and weezing wall it.
Scrafty- starmie can take an unbolted crunch and 2HKO with hydro Pump. And weezing walls it.
Shaymin - starmie, metagross and maybe heatran can kill it.
Sigilyph -Lol roar beats the cosmic power set.
Smeargle - use useless poke as a sleep fodder and use roar with heatran.
Starmie - ferrothorn counters it easily.
Terakion - weezing wall it with will-o-wisp
Thundurus - starmie outspeeds and revenges and metagross can take a hit.
Tornadus - see thundurus.
Tyranitar - metagross murders it. Starmie has SE on in it and heatran can wall most variants.
Venusaur - heatran walls it without earthquake and weezing can hit it with a sun boosted fire blast.
Victini - heatran can take most non brick break sets and weezing walls it.
Virizion - weezing walls SD set and calm mind set give me trouble.

Volcarona -
Weavile -
Zoroark -

Blissey -
Bronzong -
Celebi -
Chansey -
Deoxys-D -
Dusclops -
Ferrothorn -
Forretress -
Gliscor -
Hippowdon -
Jellicent -
Latias -
Murkrow -
Ninetales -
Politoed -
Porygon2 -
Rotom-W -
Skarmory -
Snorlax -
Suicune -
Swampert -
Tentacruel -
Vaporeon -
Whimsicott -
Xatu -
Zapdos -

maybe psychic on metagross for dual stab? right now your mixed metagross only has one special move, and its a hidden power, so. . .

yeah i agree with m1key psychic would be better over eq mayby but its up to you, otherwise i think this teams pretty cool

24 hour bump. I have to say I'm. Severely disappointed in the feedback I'm getting. *sigh* hopefully tomorrow with be better.

Hey there. I like the Metagross, it's very unique and seems like it could work very well. But I have a couple of suggestions that can make the rest of your team work much better as a whole.

On Heatran, run Protect over Toxic. The extra leftovers recovery is very useful, and being able to scout against pokes such as Choice scarf Rotom-W is always helpful. While you miss out on the opportunity to status bulky waters such as Gastrodon and Jellicent, the ability to scout your opponent's moves makes up for it.

On Starmie, run Rapid Spin over Ice Beam. Rapid Spin would really make your team much less weak to stall, and entry hazards in general. It can also help your Dragonite greatly. Thundurus is basically destroyed by Hydro Pump regardless, and pokemon such as Latios are taken care of by Ferrothorn.

As you mentioned, rain is a problem for this team, especially Rotom-W. It can burn Ferrothorn and make it much less useful; if Ferrothorn dies, rain will basically obliterate you. To fix this issue, I suggest running a Gastrodon in place of Ferrothorn.

Special Wall Gastrodon
Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Recover + Storm Drain allows Gastrodon to defeat rain teams much more effectively than Ferrothorn. It also compliments Heatran almost perfectly on the special defensive side of the spectrum, and can handily defeat Thundurus and Rotom-W. Ice Beam is chosen over Earth Power in order to hit the aforementioned Thundurus, as well as stop pokemon such as Sub Roost Dragonite from setting up on Gastrodon.

Running Gastrodon over Ferrothorn solves your weaknesses, but you lose spikes. As it turns out, Weezing isn't that reliable of a physical wall due to his lack of a reliable recovery move, outside of Pain Split which really isn't that reliable to begin with. As it turns out, Skarmory can set up Spikes, serve as a physical wall, and create an extremely solid core along with Gastrodon and Heatran. Therefore, replace Weezing with a Skarmory.

Defensive Skarmory
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Speed
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Spikes

Skarmory handles all of the physical threats that Weezing did, while also being able to defeat Excadrill much more easily through phazing.

Good luck.

^agree with above on rapid spin
anyway, i like your team. it's creative, original and isn't the same generic stuff posted on here, so basically it just doesn't bore me to death.
the idea of a mixed metagross, does, sort of make me have a wtf moment. it wasn't really built for it. next, i really like your ferrothorn set. if you didn't, my only suggestion for ferrothorn is to have trained it holding a macho brace, for added power on gyro ball and increased defenses.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Since you asked, you shall receive.

There isn't much to add since TheMasterOfOz covered absolutely everything. The only change I disagree with is running Rapid Spin over Ice Beam (i'd rather have Boltbeam coverage + Rapid Spin over recovery) but thats entirely up to you.

Since you have a good special wall and a Dragonite(talk about him later) to handle Sun...

I'd switch Heatran out for Conkeldurr. He doesn't have very many counters when played correctly. He can switch in on Ferrothorn and wreak havoc. He's a solid switch in to most(if not all) Steel types and notably Tyranitar.

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Brave/Adamant
120HP/252Atk/136SpD
~Bulk Up
~Drain Punch
~Mach Punch
~Payback

Payback if you know he has a Latios or Latias for some major damage. Almost always OHKO's. I haven't been in a situation where I didn't have a bulk up when he switched into the pursuit so IDK if it will KO then.

He's a sure fire answer to Ferrothorn. I personally run 252HP and 252 Atk because its not like hes going to be taking ANY special attacks with 200 SpDef that the EV's give him after investment. I don't know how Heatran isn't an answer to Ferrothorn but with Conkeldurr's lack of weaknesses to common things and overall lack of counters he sticks around for a while.

Gliscors DO NOT WIN against this set unless they are packing a flying move and/or hax is involved.

I'd also not use Dragonite as a "lead". They don't exist anymore. Slap a CB on him. Save him for laters. And wreck sun teams with +1 Extreme Speed and Outrage as Volcarona gets walled and Venasaur gets revenged after SR and some LO damage.

Dragonite@Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
~Outrage
~Extreme Speed
~Fire Punch
~Waterfall/Maybe even Roost if ya like

I think thats about it.

Plus go ahead and update your OP if you agree with Oz's changes in Gastrodon and Skarmory, as to let us know if you have changed your mind and letting new comers rate on new things.

Since you have a good special wall and a Dragonite(talk about him later) to handle Sun...

I'd switch Heatran out for Conkeldurr. He doesn't have very many counters when played correctly. He can switch in on Ferrothorn and wreak havoc. He's a solid switch in to most(if not all) Steel types and notably Tyranitar.

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Brave/Adamant
120HP/252Atk/136SpD
~Bulk Up
~Drain Punch
~Mach Punch
~Payback

Payback if you know he has a Latios or Latias for some major damage. Almost always OHKO's. I haven't been in a situation where I didn't have a bulk up when he switched into the pursuit so IDK if it will KO then.

He's a sure fire answer to Ferrothorn. I personally run 252HP and 252 Atk because its not like hes going to be taking ANY special attacks with 200 SpDef that the EV's give him after investment. I don't know how Heatran isn't an answer to Ferrothorn but with Conkeldurr's lack of weaknesses to common things and overall lack of counters he sticks around for a while.

Gliscors DO NOT WIN against this set unless they are packing a flying move and/or hax is involved.

I'd also not use Dragonite as a "lead". They don't exist anymore. Slap a CB on him. Save him for laters. And wreck sun teams with +1 Extreme Speed and Outrage as Volcarona gets walled and Venasaur gets revenged after SR and some LO damage.

Dragonite@Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
~Outrage
~Extreme Speed
~Fire Punch
~Waterfall/Maybe even Roost if ya like

I think thats about it.

Plus go ahead and update your OP if you agree with Oz's changes in Gastrodon and Skarmory, as to let us know if you have changed your mind and letting new comers rate on new things.
Ferrothorn usually runs with rain. and if its n rain then i lose because it cn leech seed on all my team members.

Ferrothorn usually runs with rain. and if its n rain then i lose because it cn leech seed on all my team members.

Ahem. Conkeldurr lol.

I also don't see a point to HP Fire on Metagross, if its to hit Ferrothorn...like you just said they run rain and Metagross won't be doing jack to it. Use something like Rock Polish(does he get that? Pretty sure he does) or if you wanna go hipster Hone Claws.

Ahem. Conkeldurr lol.

I also don't see a point to HP Fire on Metagross, if its to hit Ferrothorn...like you just said they run rain and Metagross won't be doing jack to it. Use something like Rock Polish(does he get that? Pretty sure he does) or if you wanna go hipster Hone Claws.
lol i meant with heatran. which is why i had problems.

ok i'm using a hone claws set since rock polish metagross sorta stink because of it how it needs to hit hard. and i have starmie to be fast.

To cover your Reuniclus problem, I suggest switching Ferrorthorn for Scizor. This team seems fairly offensive and the pace is really only weighed down by ferrothron. Also, not having a spin blocker can prove futile for having these different entry hazards. I recommend trying out this set:
Scizor-Leftovers
EVs:252Hp/40Att/216 SpD
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Roost
It has good bulk while providing for recovery. The priority can help pick off sweepers and bug bite helps against Reiuniclus. If you don't mind loss of recovery, try the choice band set for some immediate power.

Hey, got your message.
Thundurus might be troublesome. He can Nasty Plot against Weezing or Ferrothorn. Starmie might outspeed and revenge kill, but he can't switch in on an attack. Dragonite also won't KO with ExtremeSpeed.
Trick Room Reuniclus is probably even mroe troublesome. He can set up a Trick Room easily against Ferrothorn and Weezing and sometimes even against Metagross and Starmie, and 'outspeeds' your whole team after and KOs them, or at least 2HKO while taking a hit. Ferrothorn might be able to 'outspeed', but Gyro Ball won't do notable damage and Reuniclus is immune to Leech Seed. Calm Mind Reuniclus threatens your team in a similar way.

To fix these problems, I recommend using a Specially Defensive Tyranitar over Heatran. He can 2HKO CM Reuniclus with Crunch, and survive a Focus Blast. He also survives a Focus Blast from Thundurus thanks to his bulk and Chople Berry. The exact set is:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry | Sand Stream
Adamant | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Stealth Rock / Pursuit / Crunch / Superpower

Also, I recommend using Psychic > Earthquake on Metagross. The only thing Earthquake hits, Heatran, either carries a Balloon or is outsped by Metagross won't switch in. Psychic, however, can 2HKO Rotom-W, one of the most common Metagross switchins and OHKO Conkeldurr.

Good luck!

Update

Bro. Update the team with any changes. So far we've suggested quite a few, it'd really help us if you could show us what you've changed.

Scizor sounds like a really nice idea. He's great at revenging threats, most notably dragons and Terrakion. He can take a Focus Blast at full HP and OHKO Reuniclus with a CB Uturn. He puts a dent into TTar(Bullet punch won't OHKO, so I generally U-Turn).

Quick Attack may be viable in this gen simply to hit Thundurus harder.

Since we have also already suggested Skarmory I highly recommend you switch Ferrothorn out for Scizor.

Update bro. You will get more accurate feedback. I'd also go with Zen Headbutt on Metagross. Honestly I wouldn't even go with Mixed Metagross. After a Meteor Mash you have +1 and will be knocking pokemon senseless. I would pack enough EV's for HP Ice against Gliscor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)