CAP 5th Generation Revamp: Kitsunoh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thread will discuss the revamping to Kitsunoh.

The following is all the canonical data for Kitsunoh line:

CAP 7: Kitsunoh
Concept: Ultimate Scout (Excels at gathering information about the opponent's team)

Nohface:

Height: 1’4”
Weight: 66 lbs / 30 kg
Evolution: Nohface -> Level-Up with Curse -> Kitsunoh
Type: Steel/Ghost
Steel: Steel STAB; Immune to Sandstorm, highly insusceptible to toxic attacks, but can be corroded specifically by Acid and Acid Spray, can be magnetized. Superior senses in high-metal environments like construction sites or factories.
Ghost: Ghost STAB; brief intangibility that nullifies Normal and Fighting-type attacks. Can move through walls for a brief period of time but must remain in motion. Superior senses in low light and inside dark buildings. Have no vision reduction in hazes.

Abilities:
Levitate: (Innate) This Pokemon naturally floats above the earth when released or easily takes flight, evading Ground moves like Earthquake, Bulldoze, and Magnitude. Other Ground moves can still hit.
Levitate (DW): (Innate) This Pokemon naturally floats above the earth when released or easily takes flight, evading Ground moves like Earthquake, Bulldoze, and Magnitude. Other Ground moves can still hit.

Stats: 80 / 53 / 85 / 25 / 80 / 10

HP: 100
Atk: Rank 2
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 1
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 10
Size Class: 1
Weight Class: 3
Base Rank Total: 13

4th Gen Level-Up Moves:
0 Scratch
0 Iron Defense
6 Lick
10 Odor Sleuth
14 Faint Attack
18 Shadow Sneak
22 Curse
27 Copycat
31 Memento
35 Fake Out
40 Iron Head
44 Revenge
49 ShadowStrike
55 Perish Song

Egg Moves:
FeatherDance
Metal Sound
Curse
Flail
Psycho Shift
Yawn
Meteor Mash

4th Gen Tutor Moves:
Endeavor
Fury Cutter
Headbutt
Icy Wind
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Knock Off
Last Resort
Magic Coat
Ominous Wind
Pain Split
Role Play
Snore
Spite
Super Fang
Trick

4th Gen TMs:
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Secret Power
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM49 Snatch
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM63 Embargo
TM66 Payback
TM70 Flash
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Captivate
TM79 Dark Pulse
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM83 Natural Gift
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM92 Trick Room

Kitsunoh:

Height: 3’7”
Weight: 112.2 lbs / 51 kg
Evolution: Nohface -> Level-Up with Curse -> Kitsunoh
Type: Steel/Ghost
Steel: Steel STAB; Immune to Sandstorm, highly insusceptible to toxic attacks, but can be corroded specifically by Acid and Acid Spray, can be magnetized. Superior senses in high-metal environments like construction sites or factories.
Ghost: Ghost STAB; brief intangibility that nullifies Normal and Fighting-type attacks. Can move through walls for a brief period of time but must remain in motion. Superior senses in low light and inside dark buildings. Have no vision reduction in hazes.

Abilities:
Frisk: (Can be Activated) The Pokemon charges the opponent with the intent to knock off their item. If Frisk is successful and the Pokemon with Frisk is not holding an item, they will pick that item up.
Limber: (Innate) This Pokemon’s body is well trained and immune to paralysis.
Cursed Body (DW): (Innate) When this Pokemon is struck by an opponent's attack that makes contact, there is a 30% chance that attack will be disabled. Only one of the opponent's attacks can be disabled at a time due to Cursed Body.

Stats: 80 / 103 / 85 / 55 / 80 / 110

HP: 100
Atk: Rank 4
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 2
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 110
Size Class: 3
Weight Class: 4
Base Rank Total: 19

4th Gen Level-Up Moves:
0 Scratch
0 Tail Whip
6 Lick
10 Odor Sleuth
14 Faint Attack
18 Shadow Sneak
22 Copycat
27 Metal Claw
31 Memento
35 Fake Out
40 Shadow Claw
44 Revenge
49 ShadowStrike
55 Perish Song

Egg Moves:
FeatherDance
Metal Sound
Curse
Flail
Psycho Shift
Yawn
Meteor Mash

4th Gen Tutor Moves:
Endeavor
Fury Cutter
Headbutt
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Knock Off
Last Resort
Low Kick
Magic Coat
Ominous Wind
Pain Split
Snore
Spite
Sucker Punch
Super Fang
Superpower
ThunderPunch
Trick

4th Gen TMs:
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Iron Tail
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Secret Power
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM49 Snatch
TM54 False Swipe
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM63 Embargo
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Captivate
TM79 Dark Pulse
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM83 Natural Gift
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM92 Trick Room
HM01 Cut
HM05 Defog

Notes: The pre-vo movepools for 4th Gen are effectively shortened versions of Kitsunoh's movepool. This will be the case for all of the CAP projects.

1. 5th Generation Moves:

Here is the list of 5th Generation moves.

Level-up movepool:
Are there any level-up moves that fit Kitsunoh?

5th Gen Moves currently on Kitsunoh:
Hex (Egg)
Foul Play (Egg)

TM Moves: What TMS should Kitsunoh learn in addition to any currently existing ones.

Note: Round is the only new universal TM.

5th Gen (and other) added TMs currently on Kitsunoh:
Hone Claws
Brick Break
Energy Ball
Retaliate
Gyro Ball
Rock Slide
Surf

2. Hidden Ability

Kitsunoh's current Hidden Ability is Cursed Body, which does fit its typing and is generally conducive to its abilities, disabling a move effectively forces an opponent to either switch or reveal more of their moveset. Nohface has Levitate and its premise is to use Kitsunoh's excellent defensive typing with eviolite.

Potential abilities:

This is a list of abilities which fit Kitsunoh's typing and give Kit's trainer more information in-game:
Anticipation
Battle Armor
Clear Body
Cursed Body
Forewarn
Illusion
Insomnia
Prankster
Pressure
Rattled
Sturdy
Weak Armor

3. Older Generation Moves

Are there any older moves that were missed that might be viable on Kitsunoh? A check over the moves indicates that Kitsunoh possesses basically every relevant STAB, so unless there is good reasoning for a move (and remember, weaker moves do have properties in ASB that can be useful in combinations), it will be unlikely that Kitsunoh gets any other moves.

Discussion Guidelines:

Movepools are assumed to be stripped down to 4th Gen level. 5th Gen added moves are listed for convenience. If you propose an addition of a move, please provide at least two sentences with reasoning consistent with the flavor or competitive needs of the Pokemon. Do the same with abilities: The key here is reasoning. CAPs are already fairly strong, so if you can make a solid argument for an expansion (be it even something as simple as the Pokemon's theme.)

I'm definitely a fan of Cursed Body on Kitsunoh; it fits the theme well and isn't too OP. That being said, Kit should be getting Volt Switch (and possibly Wild Charge), simply because not having another U-Turn on the ultimate scout seems silly imo.

It appears that Kitsunoh doesn't have Astonish, and it definitely should. Cursed Body seems fine, since although Forewarn, Illusion or Anticipate would make sense with Kitsunoh's purpose, they are unnecessary. As for the other suggested abilities, they don't make a whole lot of sense. As for moves, Kitsunoh should not be able to learn Surf imo. Also, Metal Burst should be on the list of 5th Gen moves Kitsunoh got.

Agreeing with Volt Switch, and would also like to suggest that Hex be made a Level-Up move rather than an egg move. My reasoning is that just about every other Ghost-type gets the move by level; moving Hex to Level-Up makes sense flavorwise.

From memory (it was in the Smog once), Surf's been on Kitsunoh's movepool since 4th Gen., I don't think that following canon would allow for the removal of that. If Pikachu can Surf, I don't see why not Kitsunoh.As for ability, I'm going to have to say Anticipation or Forewarn makes most sense to me, Concept-wise. Illusion is the Zoroark line's ability, so let's not invade on that.And just a little grammar check thingy - in Older Generation Moves, it starts off talking about Kitsunoh, but then starts talking about how Pyroak has every relevant STAB, so yeah.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I actually like the way Kitsunoh is right now, with a couple exceptions.

The first thing that I would like to change is its ability; while Cursed Body fits in with the typing of Kitsunoh extremely well, I don't think it really fulfills the concept as well as abilities like Forewarn or Anticipation; this is still unnecessary, though.

Onto moves. I think the elemental punches fit with neither Nohface nor Kitsunoh, so they should be removed. The "Room" moves that Kitsunoh doesn't currently possess, namely Wonder Room and Magic Room, make sense with Kitsunoh's concept (Kit already has Trick Room), so they should be added imo.

I think Pressure fits Kitsunoh's flavor very well. It is an intimidating and terrifying ghost that is "always right behind you", which fits Pressure very well.

Cursed Body, IMO, is a nice ability that fits Kitsunoh, but I think Pressure fits it even better.

Also, Punches should be replaced with fangs. Kitsunoh has no fists, but has super fang so apparently it can bite things.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the punches. I always thought it was odd that it got Thunder and Ice Punch but not Fire Punch... But anyway, it does already have Ice Fang and Thunder Fang, I guess that just isn't listed in this thread. So, why shouldn't it also get Fire Fang? And yeah, the punches make no sense.

Why does he have the Elemental Punches in the first place if he has no arms / fists? ¯\(ºдಠ)/¯
I mean, Wooper and Gastly at least evolve into something with fists, but this seems like it was more of a "let's-give-him-cool-coverage" thing.

Fangs, on the other hand, sound reasonable.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If a move is there canonically, it isn't getting changed.

We went over this in the main thread. As far as fire moves, I'm putting a kibosh on those.

I found the article. Problems with the computer I'm using though, so here it is:
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue9/cap
I remember it being said somewhere that Kitsunoh can, in regards to the Elemental Punches, either use its paws or conjur a fist, much like Gastly would. Hopefully this all clarifies something.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While this is in no way a rule that can't be broken, it would be good to mention that no Pokemon with only Levitate as a regular ability (such as Nohface) gets a hidden ability, and no Pokemon who's relative does not get a hidden ability gets one. By that logic, the hidden ability that makes most sense is no hidden ability at all.

If it does get one though, Cursed Body or Pressure seems the best.

EDIT @ Below: Heh, never knew that. Granted, the number of Pokemon with levitate with relatives who don't is fairly low. And the vast majority of those families, as in 2/3, as in Hydreigon and Duskull, have relatives with no hidden ability. As such my view still stands. But, as I said above, it is by no means a definite rule. (Though it is true that no pokemon with just Levitate as a non hidden ability gets one, so I would definitely say Nohface should not.)

While this is in no way a rule that can't be broken, it would be good to mention that no Pokemon with only Levitate as a regular ability (such as Nohface) gets a hidden ability, and no Pokemon who's relative does not get a hidden ability gets one. By that logic, the hidden ability that makes most sense is no hidden ability at all.

If it does get one though, Cursed Body or Pressure seems the best.
Counterexample: Trapinch gets DQ Sheer Force. Guess what Vibrava and Flygon get.

The only change i want to propose is that Kitsunoh get Ilusion insted of Curse Cody (since Curse body sucks on him because most SE attacks he will be facing don't make contact (EQ, Fire Attacks, etc...)), his concept sucks in ASB since you are able to see your opponents team most of the time, so Ilusion would be an incredible ability to gather information about your opponents mons and to surprise him with something odd (just like he was in gen 4), prankster would be a second option but that would be pushing it too much

Also, i think he should be able to Levitate on command since his prevo does and it follows the line were a prevo with levitate gives their evolutions the ability to do so (dusclops line)

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would just like to say that I, am completely opposed to Kit getting Illusion. While it's not like Zoroark is a legendary or anything, the Illusion ability is something unique to it's species that, flavor wise, does not make sense on any other Pokemon, real or CAP. I personally believe things like that are made exclusive for a reason and should stay as such.

I would just like to say that I, am completely opposed to Kit getting Illusion. While it's not like Zoroark is a legendary or anything, the Illusion ability is something unique to it's species that, flavor wise, does not make sense on any other Pokemon, real or CAP. I personally believe things like that are made exclusive for a reason and should stay as such.

While I'm against Kit having Illusion, it isn't entirely against it flavour-wise - it's based off a kitsune, a creature that is famous for disguising itself. Think Ninetails in Okami. Not to mention the masks...

While I do somewhat feel that Illusion should remain unique to Zoroark, I would like to point out that in the past we haven't exactly been skittish in giving formerly unique abilities to CAPs. Revenankh's Air Lock springs to mind. Plus, as has been pointed out already, it makes sense in terms of flavor.

Then i think...

Change Cursed Body to Forewarn, it fits, it's nice to Kit's concept, and it will be an ability it can actually use (until cursed body it's made so that every attack is affected (contact or not) like in-game) since he is inmune to fighting attacks, and he can't disable EQ and most fire attacks (outside of fire punch/fang and flare blitz) and ghost/water/electric attacks, only useful in disabling some dark attacks, Forewarn at least helps him evade powerful attacks and it fits flavor wise being a tricky pokemon

I also think as a Scouter (a pokemon ment to go in, do something useful and prepare the path for another pokemon and go out) he shout get the Magic Room and Wonder Room just like EP said

Also, i think Beat up should be in his movepool it fits, and it's actually useful in ASB

Another thing about Illusion is that we wouldn't give it to Kit in a canon Gen V upgrade unless we were feeling fairly ballsy-Zoroark is held back by terrible defenses and general one-trick pony feel. Kitsunoh can take a hit or two, ISN'T really a one-trick pony, and it can even combo with Zoroark.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

To put it quite frankly, Kitsunoh is pretty much fine as it is. Since changing stuff often has an impact on those who got the Pokémon (be it positive or negative), I'd try to keep at least the relevant ones to a minimum. Giving it Astonish, or moving Hex to level up is one thing (if the latter happens, though, people with Hex Kitsunoh should get 2 MC back). Changing an ability like Cursed Body for something potentially unbalancing like Illusion is another whole one. As much as these revisions should help us patching any 5th gen flavor stuff needed (like, say, Drill Run Colossoil), I'd like people to show a bit more care before touching stuff like abilities.

Why doesn't Kitsunoh have Imprison? It fits with the theme of Kit fucking around with the opponent's movepool. Kit has a great movepool of its own to back it up, and it lets him cockblock some key moves like Dig, Earthquake, Pain Split, and Knock Off that Taunt doesn't cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)