New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - BW RU Edition

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The same rules apply here as in the other Creative Moveset thread but note that any and all movesets posted in this thread must be for use in the RU metagame, regardless of the tier of the Pokemon in question. If you wish to post a set for use in any other tier please use the relevant thread in the relevant subforum.

Discussion Rules:

1: Use the readable format to display your movesets or EV spreads. An example would be:

Pokemon Name:(Adding pictures may make it easier to read and visually appealing, however, all pics must come from here)
Moveset Name:
Move 1:
Move 2:
Move 3:
Move 4:
Item:
Ability:
Nature(s):
EVs: Ordered HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe

Don't use SpD for Speed, SpD stands for Special Defense. Use Spe for Speed.

Description of the set explaining what it is capable of, damage calcs...etc

2: Do not repeat movesets already mentioned in previous posts. If you do not know if a moveset has already been mentioned use the "Search this Thread" before simply posting.

3: Note that this thread is for sets that you've actually tried at least a few times, not something that "might work". If you think something has potential, you can be bothered to use it before subjecting everyone else to it.

4: This is for competitive, serious movesets only. Don't post joke sets.

5: Post a description along with your moveset. This should be obvious.

6. If the set appears to be outclassed by another Pokemon then be sure to explain why your set should be used.

7. No "LOL Broken/Legendary Pokemon, why is that in RU LOL" posts.

Failure to follow the rules will result in your post being deleted and possibly infracted. This thread will now be under close moderator surveillance so I recommend actually following the rules, especially Rule 3.

Thanks.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Thanks for the work Oglemi!

BTW, you have it as "for use in the UU metagame"... wait, I see where you came with this from..

EDIT: i might as well contribute:

Staryu @ Eviolite
Natural Cure
Bold, 252 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
-Recover
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Reflect / Thunderbolt

Are worrying about how to abuse Yanmega after Blastoise leaves the tier? Worry no more! Staryu with Eviolite is really bulky, and Recover + Natural Cure is really icing on the cake. I've been running this spread because bulky waters usually act as Physical walls, but moving some EV to Special Defense may also be viable. Scald burns and prevents Staryu from being taunt bait.

I posted this in the last RU thread, but I love using the set so I'll post it again.

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Flame Body
Hasty 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

A fairly simple wallbreaking set. Fire Blast hits pretty damn hard, and Focus Punch makes quick work of Munchlax, Clefable, etc. Thunderbolt deals with most bulky Waters pretty well. HP Grass is an option before Gastrodon goes to OU. The set definitely needs Rapid Spin support, but that's not too hard to provide. Yanmega pairs well if you have a good spinner, since it likes having things like Munchlax out of the way.

One of my favorite troll sets ever:

Accelgor @ Choice Scarf (yes, you read that right)
Timid 252 HP 4 SpA 252 Spe
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Encore

Abuse Team Preview to hell and back with this thing. Set up your team to look like something else is your lead (preferably with "something else" having a counter your team fears), lead with this thing, Final Gambit and watch them weep.

While the best Final Gambit in RU is the main draw, the other moves aren't (completely) filler. If you suspect they'll be setting up, switch in and Encore. The ridiculous speed allows for shenanigans like Encoring Porygon-Z's Agility or Shell Smash from absolutely anything. Bug Buzz allows for revenge killing Sharpedo after +2 (which tends to think it beats anything at that speed), and HP Rock does the same to Yanmega.

RU is continually growing as my favorite tier. Try out this Altaria set, being one of the only viable dragons in RU and soon to be NU.

Altaria @ Choice Specs
Natural Cure
Modest/Timid
252 SpA, 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Ice Beam
- HP Electric/Grass

Altaria is able to rip holes in teams, as they normally predict a DDing Altaria and get smacked with a STAB Draco. It is effectively immune to status w/ Natural Cure. Blastoise makes a great partner by providing Rapid Spin support and an ice resistance.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Timid, 92 HP / 224 SpA / 192 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Aromatherapy

when i first got started in ru i knew i wanted to use lilligant. quiver dance is one of the best new moves of bw, and lilligant is one of the best abusers. with that said, i knew the standard set used sleep powder, but for some reason i told myself that i didn't want to use it lol (i think it was something along the lines of everyone expected it and it only gave me one shot at getting past a 'counter'). needless to say, i searched for a 4th move, and after skimming through its movepool i stumbled across an interesting option: aromatherapy. i slapped it on and the rest is history: this set is the most dominant set i've ever used in any tier. because lilligant is such a fast threat after a quiver dance, revenge killing it is incredibly hard. after that, the second most popular option for dealing with offensive threats is status. with aromatherapy, lilligant not only easily sets up on status mons, but it supports its teammates at the same time. just qv to +3 or something while taking toxic damage, aromatherapy it away, and giga drain back your health; simple and easy to use. as for ev's and nature, timid + 192 outspeeds modest yanmega, 92 hp gives you a lefties number, and the rest is thrown in spa.

sidenote: completely destroys most stall, just sayin.

Stall-breaker / tank

Samurott@Leftovers
160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe, Modest

Taunt
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Ability: Torrent

So I know this looks really strange, but it actually destroys a lot of RU walls and disrupts stall teams pretty badly. Most RU walls have pretty pathetic offense, and can't break something with even the moderate bulk of Samurott when Taunted. Hydro Pump does plenty of damage and the other two attacks give great coverage. Taunt is obviously there to stop recovery and status. If you look at some of the RU defensive staples you'll see what I mean. Seismic Tossers like Audino and Clefable can't do much damage to you, Blastoise is 3HKOed while the best he can hope for is a burn, and even the damnable Ferroseed will waste his Gyro Ball PP before he KOes you. Munchlax puts up more of a fight because he will can come out on top with good parahax, but even paralyzed you outspeed him. More obvious are the physical walls it beats, such as Sandslash and Claydol. Beating down walls is its main purpose, but it helps that most offensive mons have a hard time switching in with the power and coverage it wields. Rotom, Galvantula, and Eelektross are going to have their day wrecked if they switch into Hydro Pump, while Rotom-C really doesn't like Ice Beam. Bulky Grass-types that invest in Special Defense are probably the safest Switch-ins.

I'm not dead set on the speed tier but right now it hits 200 to outspeed Adamant Aggron (and Blastoise beneath it). The bulk is enough to not be 2HKOed by Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz, though I don't recommend trying to use this as a wall.

Give it a try, it does surprisingly well, despite how weird it looks.

Let's give this a shot.

Honchkrow @ Choice Scarf Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- Night Slash

This, in a few words, is a mixed attacking scarfed Honchkrow or for a shorter version, MixScarf Honchkrow. While Honchkrow certainly has offensive prowess, it often fails use it due a somewhat slow base 71 Speed. A Scarf rids it of the Speed issue but by going mixed, you can easily revenge kill loads of things. Often you'll be able to KO opponents expecting a LO set. The EV's were placed like that so that both offenses are boosted with the same amount. However, if you really want to make sure to hit at the same strength for both sides of the spectrum, a EV spread of 48 Atk/208 Sp Atk/252 Spe should be followed. Also, when using that spread, Dark Pulse becomes an option as now it is stronger than Night Slash. Superpower and Heat Wave may look like they are used for the same purpose and usually, it is. They are both used to hit Steels, but from a other side. While Superpower will help against Steel type pokemon like Probopass, Heat Wave is for those like Steelix, who have immense physical bulk, while also severly denting, if not OHKOing Ferroseed, another major annoyance.
While using Moxie alongside this might look like a good idea (Krookodile says hi), it is generally inferior to Insomnia and Super Luck due to the loss of Superpower and Heat Wave, two important coverage moves.

If you want a unorthodox, yet effective, wallbreaker, give this set a shot.

Shuckle

Moveset Name: Rollout
Move 1: Defence Curl
Move 2: Rollout
Move 3: Rest
Move 4: Power Split
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 Spe

Anyways, from what I've seen, this is the best set it has of so far. Sandstorm support is much needed for the success of this set. If you want to see it in action, I would check out the FlamingSpade on YouTube and look up his Black and White Battle # 26 dubbed Rollout Shuckle Sweep (link). Despite Contrary being Shuckle's best ability, it doesn't work with this set.

Moveset Name: Wall
Move 1: Power Split
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Substitute
Move 4: Rock Slide
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 Spe

I don't have access to Emerald version so this is what I use. Similar strategy, halve the foe's attacks to increase your own, hit back with Rock Slide, and heal with Rest. When I use this set, I usually pair it with one who can set up Sandstorm, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and a ghost type. What makes this set stand out is Substitute which blocks all attacks that would severely hinder Shuckle. The first EV spread is used on a Sandstorm team, while the later is for even defences. Unlike the first set, this one doesn't use Defence Curl and will really appreciate Contrary once it's released (to boot, I have an in-game male Shuckle with max Defence and HP to help with breeding).

With Hippowdon in UU, unless it's banned to BL1, Hippopotas will be crawling down which is good news for many Pokemon.

Also, these 2 guys (link)(link) are both RU and you know what that can mean...

Also, don't look at me weird, I adore using gimmicky strategies and sometimes can use them quite efficiently.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I have been loving this set, so I might as well share it.

Umbreon
Passing Cleric
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Baton Pass
-Dark Pulse
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

So the idea of this set is to be an all purpose cleric, while also being a pivot passer for a BP Venomoth. Umbreon has so much natural bulk that it is ideal for the role of a cleric, and being able to pass off decent sized Wishes to teammates can really revitalize your team. Heal Bell also has that generic team support function.

However, the real point of this set over another cleric like set is how well it functions with BP Venomoth. Often times I have found that opponents can predict when Venomoth feels threatened and will Baton Pass, and they often switch to a counter to the suspected recipient. Since my team really had only one other Special sweeper, if I couldn't go to it, the boosts would be stuck on someone else who can't abuse them. So, instead of passing directly to another sweeper, I began to pass to this Umbreon. Once it gets the boosts, it can Heal Bell if needed, set up a Wish, and pass the boost off to the appropriate Pokemon. Frequently, I actually just keep passing back and forth between Umbreon and Venomoth accumulating boosts while Umbreon heals off the damage and statuses for both of them.

The EVs and Nature here are made to maximize physical bulk. Even though Umbreon is naturally a better special wall, since it will often be operating with Quiver Dances, its special side doesn't need any investment. Even without boost though, it still has enough special bulk to take a Bug Buzz from a Speed Boost Yanmega. Believe me, while it might not be Cresselia, this is one bulky Pokemon.

Dark Pulse is the final move on this set to stop it from being taunt bait. Dark Pulse and a Bold nature are chosen over Payback and Impish as it is designed to work with Venomoth. With a QD or two under it's belt, Dark Pulse can actually do some damage, and with increased speed, it actually can take advantage of the flinch chance.

Guess I have another fun idea for this thread:

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Adamant/Jolly / Moxie

Earthquake
Beat Up
Stone Edge
Crunch/Pursuit

This makes a great offensive lead set, as Beat Up not only gets STAB but some of the highest attack stats in the game are packed into RU (looking at Rampardos, Slaking, Archeops, Rhyperior, and company), which can make a normally inferior move into something terrifying. Moxie puts the pressure on the opponent to end your sweep quickly or face increasingly stronger attacks. This set could work with CB as well, but is nowhere near as effective. also, if I'm calculating this correctly, Beat Up is about x1.5 more powerful than Crunch if you have a team geared towards it and all 6 pokemon are status-free. Sneasel can run a similar set with Choice Band, but the fact that this set powers itself and that there are hardly any steel-types in the tier make this a potentially game-breaking set (2hko'ing 252/252 cresselia with an unboosted physical move? sign me up!)

I've tested Beat Up before, and the Moxie boost affects all hits of the move, which is why I think a set like this can put early pressure on the opponent while beating sashed leads like Venomoth for a quick attack boost. Also, even if krookodile gets burned, the remaining 5 hits don't take an attack reduction, so it can still sweep through an opponent with a 5-hit attack.

Here's an Agility Porygon-Z with some tweaks that I made over time and experimentation on PO.

Modest / Expert Belt / Download
- Agility
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fighting
132 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 128 Speed

I've gotten complaints, a few of them my own, that Porygon-Z dies too fast with Life Orb, especially with Toxic everywhere. I also felt that with Leftovers, it just wasn't packing enough power. So I moved to use the Expert Belt, since it grants a 20% boost to super-effective attacks without sacrificing any HP. Since Tri Attack hits nothing for super-effective damage and STAB isn't totally obligatory, I decided to forgo it for as much super-effective coverage as I could net. So many things in this tier (Yanmega, Lilligant, Tangela, Rhyperior, etc.) are weak to Ice Beam, so that makes it a natural choice. Thunderbolt mainly tears down bulky Waters and Moltres, amd HP Fighting hits Steel-types (like Aggron and Ferroseed), Normal-types (like Clefable), and others. Really, the only pokes I can think of that are missed coverage-wise are Pokes that it could never hope to KO, anyway; Cresselia is a fine example.

This is a great set I have been using for a while now.

Scolipede@ Choice band
adamant-252atk/252speed
-megahorn
-earthquake
-rock slide
-pursuit

This guy is a great anti-lead. The opponent will expect you to spike or t-spike, but is caught by a nasty surprise, which is a STAB CB megahorn, or one of the filler moves. OHKOs cresselia with megahorn, and yanmega + Honchkrow with rock slide.

No one's listening to anyone else's ideas. :I

Anyhow, Gastrodon.

Gastrodo @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 164 HP / 132 Def / 212 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

212 Speed is vital to outspeed anything above the 167 speed point, so it can set up on things like Alomomola before it Toxics you. This set still maintains good physical bulk, as well.

Floatzel

Moveset Name: Burn Pass
Move 1: Waterfall
Move 2: Switcheroo
Move 3: Bulk Up / Agility / Substitute
Move 4: Batonpass
Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Waterveil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP

I don't know how Viable Floatzel is in RU, but This set is focused on passing on a nasty surprise to Physical attacker like Honchkrow and evolite users.

Although Bulky Water Types (like Gastrodon) most commonly switch into Floatzel so set up a boost or Substitute and Baton pass while you wait for the right time to pass on burns.

Waterfall is your mandatory Stab and attack to prevent you from being Taunt Bait.

Edit: run a Spread of 248 Att / 252 Spe / 8 HP if your running substitute as it allows Floatzel to set up 4 substitutes, leaving him with 1 HP left.

Moveset Name: Offensive Burns
Move 3: Return / Ice Fang
Move 4: Aqua Jet / Bulk Up / Taunt
Item: Flame Orb
Nature: Jolly

A more offensive version of the previous set, Waterfall for stab, Switcheroo to pass burns.

Return gives you neutral coverage on everything except Ferroseed and Frillish, Ice Fang if you want to catch grass and Dragons on the switch

Aqua Jet for Priority, Bulk Up for Power and taunt for Ferroseed, you can just cripple it with burn after if it does have an attacking move.

Moveset Name: Choice Band
Move 3: Return / Ice Fang / Brick Break
Move 4: Aqua Jet
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

after a Choice Band Floatzel's attacking power is 463 with a Jolly Nature and 508 with an Adamant Nature.

Since Bulky Water like Gastrodon Love switching into Floatzel, Switcheroo can cripple them on the switch.

Return gives neutral Coverage except Ferroseed and Frillish, Ice Fang to catch Grass and Dragons on the switch, Brick Break to catch Ferroseed on the switch

Aqua Jet gives you a Priority.

Edit: water Veil has a nice effect of preventing burns so Floatzel won't be crippled in terms of power because of scald or will o wisp

I don't really have room on my team to try it out, but Floatzel sounds nice, being able to trick an opponent into thinking your Choiced or whatever, then crippling something. Can you write about how successful you are with it?

I've been running a Klinklang set with moderate success as of late:

Klinklang @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Plus
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Gear Grind
- Frustration
- Shift Gear
- Substitute/Volt Change

Naturally Clear Body will net the ability slot with it's release, but until then there's only Plus and Minus :/ Anywho, as Steel typing is almost unheard of in RU, many teams are completely unprepared for Klinklang overall, allowing him to easily jump in on Toxics, Sub-Roost Honchcrow, etc. The investment in speed guarantees that he will outpace + Natured Base 105s at +1 (Scarfed Scyther/Manetric), which accounts for basically the entire metagame. Gear Grind is obviously his initial stab, with the sub-breaking capabilities only being a bonus. Frustration allows him to hit most Electric, Fire and Water types neutrally, which is really the best coverage he can hope to receive. Substitute allows him to evade bothersome burns and such, allowing him to set up safely on quite a sum of pokes. Volt Change is more or less there as a courtesy, solely as Magneton technically does exist in this tier, despite never being run.

I figured it was at least worth a shot haha. But yeah, his movepool is about as shallow as it gets. Almost a shame really, but I suppose that type of discussion is for a different thread

Entei
Moveset Name: Alternative Blitzer
Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: ExtremeSpeed
Move 3: Stone Edge
Move 4: Iron Head
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe

This set is designed completely for Flare Blitz. HP, Attack, everything. Since Blitz is the only move being used on this set (the other three are for emergencies), Scarf makes up for the EV loss. It also survives a Bug Buzz from Tinted Lens Yanmega (and two from Speed Boost) which can make it useful as a Yanmega revenge killer or switch forcer.

Entei
Moveset Name: Water Checker
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Calm Mind
Move 3: HP Grass
Move 4: Substitute
Item: Life orb/Leftovers
Nature(s): Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

The moveset is not creative, just the usage is. Sub on the water type switch, then CM once and HP Grass away. Basically works on the same principle as Gen 4 Kingdra.

Stall-breaker / tank

Samurott@Leftovers
160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe, Modest

Taunt
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Ability: Torrent

So I know this looks really strange, but it actually destroys a lot of RU walls and disrupts stall teams pretty badly. Most RU walls have pretty pathetic offense, and can't break something with even the moderate bulk of Samurott when Taunted. Hydro Pump does plenty of damage and the other two attacks give great coverage. Taunt is obviously there to stop recovery and status. If you look at some of the RU defensive staples you'll see what I mean. Seismic Tossers like Audino and Clefable can't do much damage to you, Blastoise is 3HKOed while the best he can hope for is a burn, and even the damnable Ferroseed will waste his Gyro Ball PP before he KOes you. Munchlax puts up more of a fight because he will can come out on top with good parahax, but even paralyzed you outspeed him. More obvious are the physical walls it beats, such as Sandslash and Claydol. Beating down walls is its main purpose, but it helps that most offensive mons have a hard time switching in with the power and coverage it wields. Rotom, Galvantula, and Eelektross are going to have their day wrecked if they switch into Hydro Pump, while Rotom-C really doesn't like Ice Beam. Bulky Grass-types that invest in Special Defense are probably the safest Switch-ins.

I'm not dead set on the speed tier but right now it hits 200 to outspeed Adamant Aggron (and Blastoise beneath it). The bulk is enough to not be 2HKOed by Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz, though I don't recommend trying to use this as a wall.

Give it a try, it does surprisingly well, despite how weird it looks.
Ferroseed walls this set completely. HP Fire fixes that.

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry (Petaya when it's released >:[)
12 HP/252 SpAtk/56 SpDef/188 Spe
Timid / Unburden

Sub
CM
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting

Straightforward set. I'm messing around with it on my RU Stall team as my secondary spinblocker, and it's loads of fun setting up with it on spinners that can't threaten him. Outspeeds jolly honch before unburden, and everything in the tier after the berry gets used (Galvantula included).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)