Landorus (Physical Attacker)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Substitute / U-turn
move 2: Smack Down / Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Landorus is normally used as a Choice Scarf user or a set up sweeper, this set is great at beating many of Landorus's usual counters, who are immune to Earthquake. The premise of this set is to use Smack Down as the opponent switches to a Landorus counter, such as Skarmory or Bronzong; without the Ground-type immunity, many Pokemon will have trouble taking Sand Force-boosted Earthquakes. Landorus can also use Substitute or U-turn on the switch to keep offensive momentum. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Gliscor and Dragon-types, such as Dragonite, harder and more accurately. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazard support is recommended for this set to reach its full potential, as the opponent will be switching quite often because of Smack Down, Substitute, and U-turn. The item is dependent on the moveset; Leftovers is preferred if you are running Smack Down and Substitute, while Life Orb is more effective when you are running Stone Edge and U-turn. Landorus appreciates sand support, which boosts the power of his STAB Earthquake and his Rock-type attacks. Ferrothorn is a great partner to set up entry hazards, and can take nearly anything aimed at Landorus. Lastly, even though this set can beat some of Landorus's usual counters, strong physical walls such as Slowbro and Tangrowth, can still easily wall Landorus (although the latter should be wary of Hidden Power Ice). Powerful special attackers such as Latios and Volcarona are great partners, as they destroy the physical walls that Landorus cannot beat.</p>

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Never been terribly interested in this set, just because Smack Down is so bloody weak in general, doubly so with Leftovers. As soon as Skarmory switches in on your Substitute, all it's going to do is WW you out, since it can't really afford to tangle with a +2 Stone Edge. Bronzong MAYBE gets beaten, but Smack Down does piss poor damage, and if your opponent has only one Ground resist/immunity they are making a bad decision. Just in general, this is a pretty mediocre set IMO, and I'm not a fan of it.

The other issue is that a Jolly non-LO Smack Down hits ridiculously weakly on stuff that you need to hit, like Dragonite, Salamence, Gyarados, and others. It can't even KO Thundurus after Stealth Rock, which is pretty weak. Smack Down in OO at best.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the sake of survivability, I think Life Orb's best in the Additional Comments. Even then, Landorus better uses this item with Sub + Three Attacks or Swords Dance. Besides, most Smack Down + Earthquake Landorus I've seen hold Leftovers, so there's really no better item than that.

Other than that, um, this looks moreorless ready already, though there might be some conflict approving this because it looks similar to the Swords Dance set (some people voiced this concern on my Double Dance Haxorus analysis), and Smack Down might shake a few heads.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OO is good enough i guess. it obviously does have its flaws, but does let it beat some of its counters. from my experience most skarms try setting Spikes up on you more than just WW you away on sight, making it worth while. but ya smack down does shit for damage, so im ok with this being rejected

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OO is good enough i guess. it obviously does have its flaws, but does let it beat some of its counters. from my experience most skarms try setting Spikes up on you more than just WW you away on sight, making it worth while. but ya smack down does shit for damage, so im ok with this being rejected
The fact that most Skarms are played badly doesn't make this set bad. If it's in Sandstorm, Skarmory really can't afford to let a Landorus behind a substitute get +2 and then OHKO it with a CH Stone Edge or do a ridiculous amount with non-CH. WW should be the go-to move in general because Skarm has issues as-is with SD Landorus, and doubly so when it's behind a Substitute.

I've used Sub + Smack Down a lot and it's one of the best Excadrill partners I could find. I use HP Ice instead of SD and Leftovers because this set's goal isn't sweeping, it's luring Skarm and Gliscor and open a sweep for other physical sweepers.

The set I use does have its problems against Pokes such as Sub + CM Latias because it can't break its Subs but it's still a good set that deserves to be on-site.

Interesting set perm, I think I'll give it a shot. That said, SevenDeadlySins has made a valid point, it's gimmicky and Other Options material at best. I think Bulk Up would be an interesting twist on this set.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
imo the set should look like

name: Substitute+ Smack Down
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Smack Down
move 4: Hidden Power [Ice]
item: Leftovers

You aren't really going to be sweeping anything with only Smack Down + Earthquake for coverage as you more than likely will only get one hit in on their revenge killer, such as a Scarfed Rotom, before you have to switch out.

I strongly suggest running Hidden Power Ice as this turns a mediocre sweeper into a good lure for other sand sweepers, as it beats defensive Rotom-W and possibly scarf Rotom if you manage to hit them on the switch with a sub up. It also beats a lot of common Excadrill counters.

Anyways, this is pretty much another Landorus lure but from the physical side.

I sort of like this set, but why leftovers? If you wan't good coverage and Smack down to do any damage, you want power over more regaining sub health.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
This is non-negotiable for me personally; I love this set and will definitely approve it. However I personally think U-Turn is a better option over Substitute (I'd also probably run HP Ice over Swords Dance) so I guess I'll discuss with QC and Ojama who I know used this set to great effect. Also some additional testing of your own would be nice to hear another opinion.

i really like this set, but i agree with everyone who say that the last slot should have hidden power ice as the first move, with swords dance slashed after i guess. the ability to 'beat' bronzong/skarm/gliscor makes it probably the best excadrill partner, so make sure to stress that a lot. also STEALTH ROCK is your best friend if your opponent is continually switching between like skarm and rotom-w, since SR will help mitigate smack down's shitty BP and make it easier to kill them.

i don't really have an opinion for u-turn since i never used it, but it could get a slash if people think it's good. i usually like to use sub to ease prediction

QC Approved 1/3

I also support this set, as it's definitely solid. The changes Iconic and everybody else suggested should be made as well. The set should look like what Woodchuck posted:

name: Substitute + Smack Down (I honestly prefer the name Substitute + 3 Attacks but eh)
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Smack Down
move 4: Hidden Power [Ice]
item: Leftovers
U-Turn, Swords Dance, and Life Orb can all go to AC imo. Also when fighting Skarmory, you'd want to Smack Down on the switch in instead of subbing, thereby forcing it to switch out again (and accumulate more SR damage), or else it will get smashed by a now super effective Earthquake.

Anyway,

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
But the point is that SD shouldn't be run on this set, and its purpose is completely different -- it's more of an Excadrill partner for luring its counters than to sweep at all.
(Also @wilson, I agree Substitute + 3 Attacks is a better name for the set)

prem

failed abortion
thanks for the QCs. right now im busy with school and modding po and drumline stuff, so i will update this later. but ya this will hopefully be edited tomorrow or by Sunday

also lol i was gonna name this set substitute when i had the time. should it be sub+3 attacks or just sub

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
But the point is that SD shouldn't be run on this set.
(Also @wilson, I agree Substitute + 3 Attacks is a better name for the set)
In that case, Stone Edge should be slashed in with Smack Down on a "Sub + 3 attacks" set. Stone Edge still has its perks, like hitting Flying types hard right from the get-go.

I also agree that it should be a Substitute + 3 Attacks set as both Stone Edge and Smack Down are viable on this set. The main advantage Smack Down has over Stone Edge is that it is able to beat Skarmory and non-scarfed Rotom-W. It haven't tested it with Life Orb, but I think that it would really take away from it's survivability, so I am not sure if Life Orb deserves a slash.

prem

failed abortion
ok finally had time to update this. will write it up hopefully soon. stupid marching band taking up hella time

I would also mention Celebi as a counter, especially defensive variants, as they still wall it if it does not carry u-turn, as I have found it to be one of the most reliable counters. It would also like to see you put more emphasis on Latios as a teamate as Landorus kills Tyranitar, Jirachi, bulky Scizor variants alike for it, while Latios still kills the physically bulky pokemon as well as Scarfed Rotom-W. I would also like to see that it works well, to continue the u-turn/volt change chain between Scizor and Rotom-W as it can deal with many of the pokemon that can stop this, mainly bulky steels, such as Jirachi. (I guess the last comment would probably be better in the scarf set as that set always carrys u-turn, but it still works very well with this set.)

prem

failed abortion
sorry ive been really busy lately. im finishing this tonight. or by this weekend for sure (hopefully tonight)

prem

failed abortion
sorry for double posting, but posting to say it has been written. also slightly updated but 99% the same

also because i don't know where else to post this, can someone add a mention to Fly (for stab) to OO.

edit: also i havent written for c&c in many many days. so it might not be that good 9.9

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment
[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Substitute / U-turn
move 2: Smack Down / Stone Edge
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Landorus is normally seen used as a Choice Scarf user or a set up sweeper, this set is great at beating many of its Landorus' usual counters who are immune to Earthquake. The premise of this set is to use Smack Down on the opponents switch into a Landorus Counter, as the opponent switches to a Landorus counter(comma) such as Skarmory or Bronzong; without the ground immunity, many pokemon Pokemon will have trouble taking Sand Force boosted Earthquakes. Then proceed to use Landorus can also use Substitute or U-turn on the switch to keep offensive momentum. Earthquake is there for obligatory STAB, while Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Gliscor and dragons, such as Dragonite, harder and more accurately. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazard support is required to reach the full potential of this set is recommended for this set to reach its full potential(comma) as the opponent will be switching quite often from because of Smack Downs, Substitute, or U-turns. The item choice is dependent on the move choice moveset; if running Smack Down or Substitute, Leftovers is the item of choice, Leftovers is preferred if running Smack Down and Substitute(comma) while Life Orb is more effective when running Stone Edge and U-turn. Landorus appreciates sand support, from either Tyranitar or Hippowdon, to boost which boosts the power of his Stab STAB Earthquake and Rock-type attacks. Ferrothorn is a great partner to set up entry hazards, while being able to and take nearly anything aimed at Landorus. Lastly, even though this set can beat some of Landorus's usual counters, strong physical walls such as Slowbro and Tangrowth can still easily wall Landorus (although the latter should be wary of stray Hidden Power Ices). Powerful special attackers such as Latios are great partners(comma) as they to destroy physical walls that Landorus cannot beat.</p>
GP Approved (1/2)

prem

failed abortion
thanks for the extremely quick check nwo! i fixed everything besides the landorus's because im not sure which one is exactly correct (im pretty sure i wrote it write), but if that is fixed in the next gp check ill just go with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)