Uber Offense Guide

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, something I haven't mentioned about the team building section, and that is that the team used, like a lot of teams, is not perfect. It has weaknesses just like other teams. The main weaknesses for the example team are: Dialga (There really is nothing that can threaten it without a boost, so it can tank pretty any attack and hit back really hard) and Sub Zekrom (Gets free Subs off Arceus, Ferrothorn and Kyogre). Mention something like "Since the team has these weaknesses, it may be a good idea after using the team to alter it according to your own playstyle while finding weaknesses to patch up."

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, let's get into the Arceus forms. Let's start.

Normal Arceus
Base Stats: 120 HP / 120 Atk / 120 Def / 120 SpA / 120 SpD / 120 Spe
Ability: Multitype
Role: Sweeper / Cleaner / Revenge Killer / Support

The most fearsome of all the Arceus, and for very good reason. Normal Arceus is the only Pokemon in the game aside from the meek Smeargle to receive Swords Dance and STAB ExtremeSpeed, flattening any team that does not run a dedicated check to it. Common revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Palkia and Garchomp are easily brushed aside as ExtremeSpeed flies past them and wipes them out immediately, and coupled with Arceus's fantastic bulk, it's no wonder that this Pokemon is one of the most difficult to revenge kill. When not using Swords Dance, Arceus can effectively use a Calm Mind set, or even use Choice Specs to hit hard right off the bat. Choice Band can be used to abuse ExtremeSpeed further, allowing Arceus to revenge kill many frail threats. If not used offensively, Normal Arceus can act as a wall due to its relative lack of weaknesses and excellent bulk.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Steel Arceus
Role: Sweeper / Support / Tank

Steel Arcues sets itself apart from its other formes thanks to the fantasic trademark resistances that comes with Steel typing, which Steel Arceus can abuse with its great bulk and recovery. Steel Arceus can make a great support Pokemon, which pairs well with Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can switch in and take Dragon-, and Ice-type attacks without breaking a sweat. Thanks to its typing, Steel Arceus makes a great Calm Mind sweeper, which is a powerful weapon against stall, beating Pokemon such as Chansey and Blissey thanks to its immunity to Toxic. Groudon spells trouble for Steel Arceus, because of STAB Earthquake, and inducing permanent sun, which powers up opponents Fire-type attacks. Steel Arceus can cripple Groudon with Will-O-Wisp, but definetily prefers functioning under the rain.

(You can add some empowering sentences here, I can't think of any 9.9)

Ghost Arceus
Role: Sweeper / Support

When holding a Spooky Plate, Arceus enters the realm of the undead, and obtains several unique qualities which no other Arceus forme can boast. Ghost Arceus gains STAB on its Ghost-type attacks, which when paired with Fighting-type attacks, provide perfect neutral coverage. This means that Arceus can run either a Swords Dance or Calm Mind set, have perfect coverage with 2 attacks, and have a free moveslot left over for recovery, which makes it exceedingly hard to take down thanks to its 120/120/120 HP and defenses. Ghost Arceus also sports coveted immunities to Normal-, and Fighting-type attacks, making it the only Arceus forme that is a spinblocker. This makes Ghost Arceus one of the best formes to play a support role, alongside Steel Arcues and its fantastic resistances. Ghost Arceus is stopped in its tracks by Darkrai, and a select few defensive Pokemon, but not much else can stand in its way. (Needs a witty finishing sentence)

Forretress
Bug / Steel
Base Stats: 75 HP / 90 Atk / 140 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 40 Spe
Ability: Sturdy / Dust-proof (unreleased)

Forretress hasn't changed much in Ubers, and is still very much a one trick pony. It makes use of its amazing Defense and typing to provide entry hazard support, while also keeping the field clear of opposing entry hazards with Rapid Spin. Forretress has received a few new tricks; Volt Switch to gain momentum as well as espcape being trapped by Magnezone and Wobbuffet, and its ability, Sturdy has recieved an upgrade, and now gives Forretress a free Focus Sash. In previous generations, there wasn't many Pokemon that could abuse Forretress's gaping 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks barring Heatran, but the new Legendary Fire / Dragon-type Reshiram causes Forretress to quiver in its shell. Blissey / Chansey make solid teammates teammates, being able to take almost any special attack with their massive Special Defense stats, but both Foretress and the pink blobs will lose to stallbreakers such as Giratina-O and Heatran.

Ferrothorn
Type: Grass / Steel
Base Stats: 74 HP / 94 Atk / 131 Def / 54 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Ability: Iron Barbs

Ferrothorn is a force in OU, and Ubers is no exception. Fantasic defenses and many key resistances, make Ferrothorn an ideal wall. It can sponge powerful Dragon-type attacks, as well as safely switch in to Kyogre and force it to switch out, something not many Pokemon can boast. Ferrothorn's usefulness is not limited to walling though, as it does a great job of providing team support with Stealth Rock and Spikes to wear down opponents, and slow them down with Thunder Wave, which assists slow, bulky sweepers. Ferrothorn functions best under rain, because its major Fire-type weakness becomes less of a threat. Tentacool and Giratina-O make great partners synergy-wise, as both of them can switch in to super effective attacks aimed at Ferrothorn. Tenacruel can also set up Toxic Spikes, the only entry hazard which Ferrothorn doesn't have access to, while Giratina appreciates enemies that have been slowed down by Thunder Wave.

Kabutops
Type: Rock / Water
Base Stats: 60 HP / 115 Atk / 105 Def / 65 SpA / 70 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Battle Armor / Swift Swim / Weak Armor

Thanks to the abundance of permanent rain in the Ubers tier, Kabutops really has the opportunity to shine. Kabutops can abuse its ability, Swift Swim, to raise its Speed to massive heights. That, combined with its base 115 Attack and access to Swords Dance make it a very potent thread. Choice Band variants are also threatening. As if that wasn't bad enough, Kabutops also has some powerful attacks at its disposal. Waterfall and Stone Edge are its dual STAB combination, and compliment each other nicely. Waterfall gets an additional boost from rain, and hits like a truck, while Stone Edge does a great deal of damage to those who resists Waterfall. Kabutops also has STAB priority in Aqua Jet too, for emergencies. Groudon can shut down Kabutops, as it has a gigantic Defense stat and induces sun, which weakens the power of Waterfall. Groudon can additionally hit Kabutops with STAB Earthquake. Rayquaza can make use of Air Lock to ignore Kabutops's Swift Swim boost and outspeed it, making it a threat. Kyogre is the best teammate that Kabutops can ask for, as it induces perament rain, which boosts its effectiveness greatly.

You should consider adding Lucario as a cleaner/sweeper. It may not have great defences but its typing+4x resistance to SR doesn't make it that hard to bring in.

Why will Kyogre hesitate to come in on Ho-Oh? Fireburn overestimated Ho-OH :P Kyogre can easily come in on Sacred Fire, and bulky Kyogre always survives Sacred Fire + Brave Bird damage and KO back with Surf.

Victini dies to any hazard on the field, getting owned by Kyogre isn't fun either who happens to be the most common Pokemon. That's why you rarely even see one Victini.

Kingdra also gets it butt kick by Groudon, and MOST Arceus formes. All of the common Arceus forms can survive one boosted hit and OHKO back after SR and LO. Normal Arceus can even roll over Kingdra with Extremespeed. Groudon owns Kingdra too, especially Specially Defensive ones, and sun wrecks Kingdra in general. This is the reason you won't see any Kingdra in Ubers.

Why is Salamence here and the SalaQuaza combo is extinct long ago. Three users made the Salamence analysis, wrote it then removed it telling Salamence sucks. Even Rayquaza is rather uncommon now, why will you even use Salamence? All-out-offense sucks now because Wob is getting his ass kicked by the nerf and Arceus can single handedly 6-0 most offensive teams likely consisting of Deoxys-S, Rayquaza, Salamence, Scizor, Wob and Darkrai or Mewtwo.1

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why will Kyogre hesitate to come in on Ho-Oh? Fireburn overestimated Ho-OH :P Kyogre can easily come in on Sacred Fire, and bulky Kyogre always survives Sacred Fire + Brave Bird damage and KO back with Surf.

Victini dies to any hazard on the field, getting owned by Kyogre isn't fun either who happens to be the most common Pokemon. That's why you rarely even see one Victini.

Kingdra also gets it butt kick by Groudon, and MOST Arceus formes. All of the common Arceus forms can survive one boosted hit and OHKO back after SR and LO. Normal Arceus can even roll over Kingdra with Extremespeed. Groudon owns Kingdra too, especially Specially Defensive ones, and sun wrecks Kingdra in general. This is the reason you won't see any Kingdra in Ubers.

Why is Salamence here and the SalaQuaza combo is extinct long ago. Three users made the Salamence analysis, wrote it then removed it telling Salamence sucks. Even Rayquaza is rather uncommon now, why will you even use Salamence? All-out-offense sucks now because Wob is getting his ass kicked by the nerf and Arceus can single handedly 6-0 most offensive teams likely consisting of Deoxys-S, Rayquaza, Salamence, Scizor, Wob and Darkrai or Mewtwo.1
Offensive Kyogre can't switch in on Ho-Oh because of Brave Bird and bulkier sets are outsped and 2HKOed. Its not like its going to always use Sacred Fire blindly everytime it comes in.

Victini is uncommon simply because it really isn't that popular, not because of Kyogre. I mean, stuff like Heatran is good but its still uncommon. :X

Groudon doesn't like coming in repeatedly on Kingdra because it hates taking LO Draco Meteors to the face, and Mixed/Special Kingdra is probably better than DD Kingdra anyway. I doubt Arceus is gonna want to take an LO Hydro Pump in the rain to the face.

Wobbuffet is still useful to remove Scarfers.

I'm not totally sure why you made this post. :X

Fireburn said:
Offensive Kyogre can't switch in on Ho-Oh because of Brave Bird and bulkier sets are outsped and 2HKOed. Its not like its going to always use Sacred Fire blindly everytime it comes in.

Victini is uncommon simply because it really isn't that popular, not because of Kyogre. I mean, stuff like Heatran is good but its still uncommon. :X

Groudon doesn't like coming in repeatedly on Kingdra because it hates taking LO Draco Meteors to the face, and Mixed/Special Kingdra is probably better than DD Kingdra anyway. I doubt Arceus is gonna want to take an LO Hydro Pump in the rain to the face.

Wobbuffet is still useful to remove Scarfers.

I'm not totally sure why you made this post. :X
Hi Fireburn.

I know Ho-OH can beat Kyogre :P but Bulky Kyogre actually survives 2 non LO Brave Birds from Ho-Oh. I am posting a damage calculation!

53.9% - 63.6% <-- This is from max Attack LO Ho-OH against Bold Kyogre
41.4% - 48.9%<--- Without LO this is what Ho-OH is dealing. It doesn't 2HKO Kyogre :P

I am not saying Kyogre likes to come in on Ho-Oh, but hey at least Kyogre is one of the best checks to Ho-Oh. Immediately changing the weather and threatening Ho-Oh at once is amazing, not much Pokemon can do that. Let's see Rock Arceus is 2HKOed by Earthquake, hates burn regardless of set since it's losing 12.5% every turn, not something Arceus will enjoy. Giratina is the closest thing because it isn't 3HKOed by anything but LO Brave Bird can lead to a 3HKO at the risk of Ho-Oh's own life. Oh yeah there's always Heatran to annoy non EQ Ho-Oh LOL.. PS: Alomomola can wall Ho-Oh well.

Heatran is also affected by Kyogre's high usage don't you think so? :P Victini also is only powerful in the sun, pretty sure Kyogre did something to limit its popularity.

Well Groudon can always come in on Dragon Dance, Waterfall or Outrage, that's 3 out of 4 moves. Arceus can still survive the hit and KO Kingdra back. As long as Arceus doesn't come in on Hydro Pump it's a safe bet, also Kingdra has to pick between Hydro Pump or Waterfall or Outrage.

I just said Salamence is extinct :P The encore nerf hurts Salamence because it can no longer force Groudon out with Wob's encore. Never seen any all out Offensive teams now, Arceus does 6-0 such teams, cause Jibaku 6-0ed me with Barn All's Arceus every time I use a team like that.

I post it to share my opinion I think, hope it isn't offensive cause I didn't hammer anyone :P Just posting to say Kingdra and Salamence suffered a huge drop in popularity for Ubers and even OU! Drown them All imo. Also Wob hates that nerf which also leads to the decline of both sweepers.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Fireburn.

I know Ho-OH can beat Kyogre :P but Bulky Kyogre actually survives 2 non LO Brave Birds from Ho-Oh. I am posting a damage calculation!

53.9% - 63.6% <-- This is from max Attack LO Ho-OH against Bold Kyogre
41.4% - 48.9%<--- Without LO this is what Ho-OH is dealing. It doesn't 2HKO Kyogre :P

I am not saying Kyogre likes to come in on Ho-Oh, but hey at least Kyogre is one of the best checks to Ho-Oh. Immediately changing the weather and threatening Ho-Oh at once is amazing, not much Pokemon can do that. Let's see Rock Arceus is 2HKOed by Earthquake, hates burn regardless of set since it's losing 12.5% every turn, not something Arceus will enjoy. Giratina is the closest thing because it isn't 3HKOed by anything but LO Brave Bird can lead to a 3HKO at the risk of Ho-Oh's own life. Oh yeah there's always Heatran to annoy non EQ Ho-Oh LOL.. PS: Alomomola can wall Ho-Oh well.

Heatran is also affected by Kyogre's high usage don't you think so? :P Victini also is only powerful in the sun, pretty sure Kyogre did something to limit its popularity.

Well Groudon can always come in on Dragon Dance, Waterfall or Outrage, that's 3 out of 4 moves. Arceus can still survive the hit and KO Kingdra back. As long as Arceus doesn't come in on Hydro Pump it's a safe bet, also Kingdra has to pick between Hydro Pump or Waterfall or Outrage.

I just said Salamence is extinct :P The encore nerf hurts Salamence because it can no longer force Groudon out with Wob's encore. Never seen any all out Offensive teams now, Arceus does 6-0 such teams, cause Jibaku 6-0ed me with Barn All's Arceus every time I use a team like that.

I post it to share my opinion I think, hope it isn't offensive cause I didn't hammer anyone :P Just posting to say Kingdra and Salamence suffered a huge drop in popularity for Ubers and even OU! Drown them All imo. Also Wob hates that nerf which also leads to the decline of both sweepers.
For your calcs, Bold Kyogre still stands the chance to be 2HKOed by Brave Bird after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, which are pretty common anyway.

Trickroom some Pokemon are not as good sweepers as others, but it still does not stop them from being a threat. I told you this about the threatlist as well. Some pokemon are less used than others, fine, they are still threats capable of sweeping. How often do you see a Cloyster or a Deoxys-A ? Near never but they still can sweep.

Its good to share your opinion but the way you shared it was um....incoherent so as to say. So, yeah I'd didnt get why you made that post either. You dont exactly make a point in your post.

If you are assuming Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes, then to be fair Stealth Rock should be up against Ho-Oh as well. Ho-Oh will be close to death if it Brave Birds Ho-Oh twice after SR.

Deoxys-A never sweeps, it just kills something and dies next turn. Anything not weak to it's attacks can easily stop it, Jirachi, Bronzong, Palkia, Ghost Arceus, Ho-Oh, ES from Arceus, Sneak from Giratina-O...Any Scarf user defeats Deoxys-A in general. I am not saying it sucks but Deoxys-A never sweeps...

Cloyster can sweep only if it managed to smash which won't happen without Wob support. Can someone explain what's wrong with my post here, I can't see it.

shrang

General Kenobi
Can someone explain what's wrong with my post here, I can't see it.
I think barry4ever is saying that you presented a bunch of material that wasn't very well organised without making any kind of point. Kind of like "Well, Kyogre can potentially survive 2 Brave Birds from Ho-oh" and then you just left it. I think the idea was "Well, Kyogre can potentially survive 2 Brave Birds from Ho-oh" and so what? There's no point presenting damage calcs if it doesn't explain anything.

That aside, I agree with the notion that "outclassed =/= unviable". Is Salamence used? Not much. Can it sweep? Probably. Is it worthy of a description? I personally think it does. If Dragon Dance Rayquaza gets any kind of mention, then Salamence should definitely get one. As a Dragon Dancer, I personally think Mence is better than Ray because of his higher Speed. I see next to no reason (apart from the fact you don't get outsped by weather sweepers) to run DD Ray over DD Mence. This is probably due to people misusing Rayquaza (Again, DD sucks, use SD or Mixed).

I posted earlier Kyogre survives 2 Brave Birds, change the weather and immediately OHKO Ho-OH with Surf. That makes sense does it?

I don't know about that though, I think Dragon Dance Rayquaza rules and SD sucks. Dragon Dance Rayquaza OHKOes Arceus after just one boost while SD Ray fails because it's outsped. Normal Arceus, Grass, Ghost, Steel all beat SD Rayquaza easily especially if Steel Arceus has Will-O-Wisp. I think Mixed is the best all the way, having the an extremely powerful attack to launch on turn 1 is always awesome. ES + DM + SR can KO most Arceus formes too. Fire Blast/Earthquake owns Steel Arceus.

shrang

General Kenobi
I posted earlier Kyogre survives 2 Brave Birds, change the weather and immediately OHKO Ho-OH with Surf. That makes sense does it?
I think barry's point was that "Well we all know that Kyogre can do this, but why did you mention this?" There is no point making obvious observations without any kind argument behind it. Are you trying to say that Ho-oh is bad, or Kyogre is really good, and therefore something needs to be added to the article?

But still, I'd definitely prefer to use DD Mence over Ray. Not being outsped by 95-100s is awesome, plus Intimidate can potentially save your ass sometimes.

Fireburn posted even Kyogre cannot come in on Ho-Oh at all which isn't entirely true. I answered to that and said Kyogre actually can come in easily as long as it is bulky or doesn't come in on LO Brave Bird which still doesn't OHKO offensive Kyogre. Kyogre is actually one of the best Ho-Oh checks there is so Fireburn should mention Kyogre poses a large threat to Ho-Oh instead of being unable to switch in.

+1 Salamence doesn't OHKO Arceus though, and Rayquaza has the surprise factor over Salamence who can only DD. Mixed Mence sucks in Ubers now.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting to say that now that my analysis obligations are done, I will start working on this asap, though not at a very fast pace till 23rd.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
Double post ! Posting to say that I have started work on this again at full pace and have updated the sprites to match smogon and will be adding in Dex links. A new section will be made for uncommon Uber sweepers and I have yet to resolve the Arceus dilema. :(

shrang

General Kenobi
I might write up some Arceus descriptions if I fancy the time. Just a few things:

1) Groudon and Kyogre both have "Support" in their roles, which is good. However, they (Groudon and Kyogre), along with Tyranitar, is missing one very crucial role, and that is one of a "Weather inducer". They are the only Pokemon who can do it (Abomasnow and Hippowdon don't really fit on really offensive teams), so I think it is very important that this is highlighted.
2) The sprites seem to have gone haywire in the team building section. I think it's because I'm using Bulbapedia sprites and they seemed to have fucked up slightly, but just a heads up.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
I might write up some Arceus descriptions if I fancy the time. Just a few things:

1) Groudon and Kyogre both have "Support" in their roles, which is good. However, they (Groudon and Kyogre), along with Tyranitar, is missing one very crucial role, and that is one of a "Weather inducer". They are the only Pokemon who can do it (Abomasnow and Hippowdon don't really fit on really offensive teams), so I think it is very important that this is highlighted.
2) The sprites seem to have gone haywire in the team building section. I think it's because I'm using Bulbapedia sprites and they seemed to have fucked up slightly, but just a heads up.
No thats actually my fault. I changed all the sprites to match the dex. About weather inducer, i'll add it now but earlier I had thought it was a bit too explicit and obvious really. Also, if you write up some, I was thinking about pairing up the common Arceus formes in a single paragraph. Say Bug Arceus, Fire Arceus, Electric Arceus could have one single paragraph since they are all offensive CM users but unique Arceus variants like Dark Arceus and Ghost Arceus still get individual paragraphs.

shrang

General Kenobi
No thats actually my fault. I changed all the sprites to match the dex. About weather inducer, i'll add it now but earlier I had thought it was a bit too explicit and obvious really. Also, if you write up some, I was thinking about pairing up the common Arceus formes in a single paragraph. Say Bug Arceus, Fire Arceus, Electric Arceus could have one single paragraph since they are all offensive CM users but unique Arceus variants like Dark Arceus and Ghost Arceus still get individual paragraphs.
Bug Arceus can run SD as well, which probably means it should get its own paragraph.

In the sample teambuilding process (and the sample team) you have Groudon sprites where Kyogre sprites should be. The supposed sprite for Arceus-Steel is actually an Arceus-Ghost sprite in the non-pure weather sweepers.

shrang

General Kenobi
Bug and Dark Arceus, more coming shortly.

Also done: Electric, Flying, Rock

Bug Arceus
Role: Sweeper

Bug Arceus is possibly one of the hardest Arceus formes to use in Ubers, but it has its own perks nonetheless. Its STAB allows it to hit the many Psychic-types in Ubers for super effective damage. It is also one of the few Arceus formes that can both a Swords Dance and a Calm Mind set. It must be noted however, that Bug is quite a subpar typing, which makes it susceptible to the omnipresent Stealth Rock. While a Bug STAB allows it to hit the numerous Psychic-types in Ubers for super effective damage, it is resisted many other types that are common in the tier, such as Ghost, Steel, and Flying. All in all, one should not underestimate Bug Arceus, as it is still an Arceus forme that can smite you if you're unprepared.

Dark Arceus
Role: Stallbreaker

Dark Arceus is the Trojan Horse of the Uber metagame. It is often compared to Darkrai, who is faster, boasts a higher Special Attack and Speed stats, as well as access to Dark Void and Nasty Plot. However, there is no way a tiny little demon can outclass the dark God of Pokemon. While Darkrai is a fast and frail sweeper, Dark Arceus uses its bulk, lack of immunities and common weaknesses to become a terrifying Stallbreaker. With a simple set of Calm Mind / Refresh / Recover / Judgement, it can single-handedly demolish any classic Uber stall team lacking Snatch Chansey. Using Calm Mind, it slowly boosts itself, while Recover and Refresh prevents it from being KOed by the weak attacks of common stall teams. If your offense team is lacking a way to break down stall, give Dark Arceus a try, it may just be your key to breaking down the stall gate.

Electric Arceus

Electric Arceus shows the mortals who is Zeus with its mighty bolts of lightning. Electric is a fantastic typing, both offensively and defensively. Offensively, it hits many Ubers for neutral damage and easily defeats the common checks to other Calm Mind Arceus formes, such as Kyogre and Ho-oh. Defensively, it only has one weakness, albeit a rather common one in Ground-type. With a simple Calm Mind set, it rains terror into its opponents with its Electric STAB in the form of Thunderbolt, Judgement, or Thunder, which destroys many Ubers such as Kyogre, Palkia, Ho-oh, and Lugia. Ice Beam completes the BoltBeam combo, while it can either use Focus Blast in the final slot swat aside Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Dialga; or use Recover to gain more Calm Minds. Without the use of pink blobs, Electric Arceus will truly show you how terrifying a thunderstorm can be.

Flying Arceus

Flying Arceus is another one of those Arceus formes that are great offensively and not so great defensively. A weaknessness to the ubiquitous Thunder and Stealth Rock, as well as common Ice Beams makes it difficult for Flying Arceus to set up. However, Flying is also a fantastic STAB, hitting most Pokemon for neutral damage, while those that resist it are hard pressed to take Earth Power. Although the Stealth Rock weakness hurts Flying Arceus badly, it can take consolation in the fact that it is the only Arceus forme to be immune to Spikes, as well as one of only three to scoff at Toxic Spikes. While it is one of the harder Arceus formes to use, the return of using it pay off if you use it well.

Rock Arceus
Role: Tank / Sweeper

If you Ubers team is a soccer team, then Rock Arceus is a very competent midfielder. While it may appear to have a poor typing, being weak to five of the most common attacking types, its excellent bulk and Special Defense boost in Sandstorm still makes it a very resilient tank, capable of taking some of the most powerful Special Attacks such as Choice Specs Dialga's Draco Meteor. It is the only Pokemon who can claim to fully counter Ho-oh and Reshiram regardless of weather. Not only that, but its resistance to ExtremeSpeed allows it to function as an excellent offensive check to the Extreme Killer. Rock is excellent offensively, hitting many Pokemon for neutral or super effective damage, while lacking immunities and common 4x resistances. By using a set of Calm Mind / Recover / Judgement and one of Will-O-Wisp or Refresh, Rock Arceus can simultaneously quell many powerful attackers while turning into a deadly sweeper whenever the chance arises. If a mono-attacking set is not your cup of tea, Rock Arceus can use an offensive Calm Mind set with Fire Blast and Grass Knot or be the only Swords Dancing Arceus who can beat down Skarmory without relying on weather. As long as you keep it away from Pokemon like Kyogre, Fighting Arceus, and Ground Arceus, Rock Arceus can single-handedly dismantle many teams.

shrang

General Kenobi
A few more things:

- Salamence isn't exactly a wallbreaker this gen. I'd personally call it a Sweeper / Revenge Killer / Cleaner, since the DD set is a great sweeper, while the Scarf set can allow it to revenge kill things as well as clean up late game.
- Scizor should have a Revenge Killer role slash as well, IMO.

Anyway, I'm not sure how quickly we want to put this article up, but there are a few Pokemon that could potentially be used in Ubers that we haven't got yet, mainly because their usefulness has only been discovered recently (although some of them are probably just forgotten):

Shiftry
Type: Grass / Dark
Base Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 90 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Chlorophyll / Early Bird / Pickpocket

Chlorophyll has once again made a rather mediocre looking Pokemon viable in the harsh environment of Ubers. While Shiftry will inevitably be compared to Darkrai, the other Nasty Plotting Dark-type in the tier, who sports Dark Void and a lot more power, Shiftry avoids being outclassed due to its sheer Speed in the sun, as well as access to Grass Knot, which discourages Kyogre from switching in willy-nilly. Unlike Darkrai, Shiftry can revenge-kill Mewtwo when its sunny, not the other way around. With a simple moveset of Nasty Plot / Grass Knot / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast, Shiftry can easily rip through unprepared teams in the blink of an eye. However, it is extremely frail, making it difficult to set up without the aid of Wobbuffet.

Jynx
Type: Ice / Psychic
Base Stats: 65 HP / 50 Atk / 35 Def / 115 SpA / 95 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Oblivious / Forewarn / Dry Skin
Role: Sweeper / Stallbreaker

Jynx got a fun new toy in the fifth generation: Dry Skin. What would otherwise have just been another physically frail Psychic-type can now switch into the most powerful attack in the game, Kyogre's Water Spout. With her usable Special Defense, she can also take Ice Beams and Thunders that Kyogre use. What sets Jynx apart from other Water Absorbers is her offensive presence. Her decent base 115 Special Attack, coupled with Nasty Plot and Lovely Kiss, as well as the excellent Ice STAB, makes her extremely dangerous to the numerous rain stall teams in the Uber tier. Add the fact that she recovers 18.75% of her max HP every turn with Leftovers and Dry Skin (meaning she can almost make Substitutes for free), you have yourself a very nasty mono-attacker that can easily steamroll a team if she is given a free turn, a free turn which she can easily find. However, one must be aware of Jynx's flaws. Her miniscule base 35 Defense means a tiny prod will KO her, while her Stealth Rock weakness does not help her cause at all.

Latias
Type: Dragon / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 110 SpA / 130 SpD / 110 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Role: Support / Sweeper

With the loss of Soul Dew in Generation 5, many doubted Latias' ability to be useful again in Ubers until she got her coveted treasure back. However, Latias has always been an extremely versatile Pokemon and has been able to adapt to this heavy blow. With a bulky spread, she can still switch into Kyogre's attacks, even though it is with much greater difficulty. The biggest catch of using Latias over other specialised Kyogre counters such as Grass Arceus and Palkia is her ability, Levitate. In a metagame where Spikes and Toxic Spikes are everywhere, and Rapid Spin is extremely hard to pull off, her immunity to these entry hazards allows her to switch in much more easily than her rivals. With Calm Mind, Recover and Psyshock, Latias can also defeat many Calm Mind users one on one, as Psyshock bypasses their boosted Special Defense. Latias can also run an effective Dual Screens set with Healing Wish, allowing many sweepers to have a much easier chance of setting up.

Latios
Type: Dragon / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 130 SpA / 110 SpD / 110 Spe
Role: Wallbreaker

Like Latias, the loss of Soul Dew hit Latios really hard. However, it is still an excellent Dual Screener in Ubers, being able to pull off Reflect and Light Screen with its good base 110 Speed and then giving its recipient a free switch with Memento. Latios is also able use its powerful base 130 SpA and Dragon-typing to pull off a Choice Specs set. While it may appear that other Uber dragons such as Dialga, Palkia and Reshiram are better for such a role due to their better typings and power, Latios still boasts being the fastest Pokemon to pull off a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor. Its ability, Levitate, also allows it to ignore Spikes, a common entry hazard in the Uber metagame, meaning Latios can come in more frequently than the aforementioned dragons to dish out the pain. Finally, Latios has access to Trick and Psyshock, meaning Blissey and Chansey cannot switch into Latios as easily.

Lucario
Type: Fighting / Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP / 110 Atk / 70 Def / 115 SpA / 70 SpD / 90 Spe
Ability: Inner Focus / Steadfast / Justified
Role: Sweeper / Cleaner

Even though Generation 5 brought Lucario some new toys such as Nasty Plot and Hi Jump Kick, it still prefers to run its tried-and-true Swords Dance set. While its stats may seem subpar for Ubers, Lucario has the valuable Fighting-type STAB, strong priority as well as excellent resistances, which help it set up in the tier. With a Swords Dance under its belt and a few layers of hazards up, little can stand up to Lucario in the lategame. Its Swords Dance boosted Close Combat has a chance to OHKO support Groudon after three layers of Spikes, something which other Swords Dancing ExtremeSpeed users in Rayquaza and Arceus can only tip off their hats to. However, Lucario is extremely frail, and even with its defenses, it finds it difficult to set up, which is why the use of caution and Wobbuffet are highly recommended.

Hydreigon
Type: Dark / Dragon
Base Stats: 92 HP / 105 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 90 SpD / 98 Spe
Role: Revenge Killer / Cleaner

Hydreigon's main claim to fame is his ability to revenge kill prominent threats in the Uber metagame while laughing at Wobbuffet, who is unable to trap and remove it with Mirror Coat due to Hydreigon's immunity. Couple that with Levitate to avoid Spikes and U-turn to scout, Hydreigon is an effective revenge killer in Ubers, able to strike down many prominent sweepers such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai. Hydreigon is not without its flaws however, as its Special Attack, while good, is often not good enough. Its base 98 Speed also misses a few targets, such as Choice Scarf Palkia and Dragon Dance Salamence, and its resistances could only be classified as below average at best.

Omastar
Type: Rock / Water
Base Stats: 70 HP / 60 Atk / 115 Def / 125 SpA / 70 SpD / 55 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim / Shell Armor / Weak Armor
Role: Revenge Killer / Cleaner

Omastar is another Pokemon whose career was changed by the addition of Shell Smash to its movepool. After a Shell Smash in the rain, it is virtually impossible to revenge kill, boasting an incredible 836 Speed. It is also incredibly powerful in the rain, easily doing over 80% to Ferrothorn with a +2 Hydro Pump. It also sports very good coverage, making it an extremely fearsome sweeper. Although it is hard to set up with Omastar, it is far from useless if it can't set up, either. As long as Kyogre keeps its end of the deal and keeps the rain up, Omastar can use its resistance to ExtremeSpeed and revenge kill ExtremeKiller Arceus with Hydro Pump, something very few Pokemon could claim to be able to do. Arceus is not the only Pokemon who Omastar can revenge kill, Mewtwo, Darkrai, and Shaymin-S are all as easily destroyed. Never underestimate the old fossil, lest it be your downfall.

Jirachi
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace
Role: Revenge Killer / Support

The other annoying but cute little pixie, Jirachi is not as versatile as it is in OU. However, it is an excellent revenge killer, sporting a good base 100 Speed and Steel-typing, allowing it revenge kill all variants of Rayquaza with no problems at all. Using a Choice Scarf, it outspeeds Dragon Dance Rayquaza and quickly puts it out of commission with Ice Punch. With access to Serene Grace and Iron Head, it could potentially turn a losing game into a winner with its trademark flinches, which would cause any opponent to tear their hairs out. Jirachi is also a good defensive pivot, using its Steel-typing to stomach powerful Dragon-type attacks and passing Wish around the team. It can even run a Dual Screens + Healing Wish set if you so desire.

Xatu
Type: Psychic / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 70 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Synchronize / Early Bird / Magic Bounce
Role: Support

Xatu's sole job is to abuse its amazing ability, Magic Bounce. What would have otherwise been pretty horrible Pokemon, Xatu was given another chance in life by keeping entry hazards off the field. It can easily switch into hazard layers such as Ferrothorn and Forretress to bounce back their hazards. It can then set up Dual Screens for the team, allowing its teammates to set up easier. The prevention of entry hazards allow Stealth Rock weak Pokemon such as Ho-oh to terrorise the opponent more than it would have. Keep in mind, however, Xatu is still very frail and is KOed easily by stronger hazard layers such as Dialga, while it offers little to no offensive presence, which, on an offensive team, would suck up precious momentum.

Magnezone
Type: Electric / Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP / 70 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 50 Spe
Ability: Magnet Pull / Sturdy / Analytic (unreleased)
Role: Support

Ferrothorn is one of the most annoying Pokemon to ever exist. There are many Pokemon that really enjoy its absence when it is removed. This is why Magnezone occasionally sees usage in the Uber tier. It can use its ability, Magnet Pull, along with Substitute and Charge Beam to set up on Ferrothorn, then remove it from the game forever and possibly take down even more Pokemon. With Ferrothorn and other Steel-types such as Forretress, Scizor, Jirachi, and Skarmory removed, the myriad of Dragon-types in Ubers can fire off Draco Meteors and Outrages with impunity, quickly decimating the opposition. Magnezone is not just a one-trick pony, either. Its decent bulk and many resistances allow it to fire off the most powerful Thunder in the game repeatedly, although its horrible Speed lets it down extremely badly. It can also set up Dual Screens for its teammates.

These Pokemon have all gotten Uber analyses, so they probably deserve descriptions, although I'm quite sure we've had enough work as it is. I'll try and write some up, I guess o_0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)