Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Would bulky DD eviolite scraggy be worth using?
I havn't had tests to prove this, but I doubt it. 50/ 75/ 70 is pretty damn good with an Eviolite, but base 75 Attack isn't really that threatening at all. Basr 48 (probably barely invested) base Speed is 3 more than Crustle, but Crustle gets +2 Speed at once, while Scraggy only gets +1, and nothing is threatened by a Scraggy at +0 (except for stuff like Aggron with a 4x Fighting weakness), so don't expect a free DD, which is pretty crucial, saying as Scraggy has no recovery and a 10% of taking away half of his health with his main move.

Haven't tried doing a mixed spread for Ferroseed yet. There are a lot of very powerful sweepers in the tier that Ferroseed needs all the investment it can get to wall so just pick one side and max it out. I prefer physically defensive Ferroseed because it won't be on the end of random HP [Fires] and walls the vast majority of physical sweepers in the tier very successfully.

whats a good spread for ferroseed?
With all the special attacks, rain and hail I like to run calm max hp max spd. It's too weak imo to attack but sassy is always an option.

About scraggy: there are many good fighting-types in RU that are way stronger while being overall useful such as hipmonlee, hitmonchan and golurk (spinners or spinblockers)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I havn't had tests to prove this, but I doubt it. 50/ 75/ 70 is pretty damn good with an Eviolite, but base 75 Attack isn't really that threatening at all. Basr 48 (probably barely invested) base Speed is 3 more than Crustle, but Crustle gets +2 Speed at once, while Scraggy only gets +1, and nothing is threatened by a Scraggy at +0 (except for stuff like Aggron with a 4x Fighting weakness), so don't expect a free DD, which is pretty crucial, saying as Scraggy has no recovery and a 10% of taking away half of his health with his main move.

scraggy gets drain punch, dont know if that counts

What's a decent Rotom counter? Every time my team comes up against one, it's by luck and luck alone that I get past it.
Well what set is it running. I assume you mean Normal Rotom not rotom-c but to deal with Rotom some scouting needs to be done to see if its scarf/ sub/ specs. Specially defensive Ferroseed is especially great as not many run HP fire or they are choice locked into a Thunderbolt or Shadowball.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With all the special attacks, rain and hail I like to run calm max hp max spd. It's too weak imo to attack but sassy is always an option.

About scraggy: there are many good fighting-types in RU that are way stronger while being overall useful such as hipmonlee, hitmonchan and golurk (spinners or spinblockers)
Golurk isn't a fighting type, and scraggy serves a completely different role than all of the above mentioned pokemon, its like saying dd scrafty is outclassed by bulk up conkeldurr. it is the only fighting type dragon dancer in the tier (only one at all other than its evolution) i have logs (of people ragequitting) Its the best counter to sub cm cress bar yanmega i can find i just set up on it!

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but I have to agree with zdrup. Seing how easily I beat your Scraggy, it has nothing going for it in RU. It's outclassed by Hitmonlee, Medicham and Gallade. Pretty much every Fighting-type. At least in my opinion.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Sorry, but I have to agree with zdrup. Seing how easily I beat your Scraggy, it has nothing going for it in RU. It's outclassed by Hitmonlee, Medicham and Gallade. Pretty much every Fighting-type. At least in my opinion.
was just using it for the surprise value, overall i have had it fail like it did against you or sweep half or more of the opposing team like it did the next battle

edit: it was fun to use scraggy for a while and it was hilarious when it dominated, but also hilarious when it failed. i used it to get a good laugh, and possibly entertain my opponent.

Golurk isn't a fighting type, and scraggy serves a completely different role than all of the above mentioned pokemon, its like saying dd scrafty is outclassed by bulk up conkeldurr. it is the only fighting type dragon dancer in the tier (only one at all other than its evolution) i have logs (of people ragequitting) Its the best counter to sub cm cress bar yanmega i can find i just set up on it!
Golurk isn't a fighting-type but it has Iron Fist Focus Punch which is as strong as many other STAB fighting-type attacks.

Plus, DD Scraggy isn't an immediate threat so the opponent can usually get two attacks on it before Scraggy manages to be a powerhouse.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Golurk isn't a fighting-type but it has Iron Fist Focus Punch which is as strong as many other STAB fighting-type attacks.

Plus, DD Scraggy isn't an immediate threat so the opponent can usually get two attacks on it before Scraggy manages to be a powerhouse.

already said

1) i had screens support

2) i was just usng him for fun

So let's say Baton Pass gets banned in OU in this suspect voting, does that mean that it is banned in any tiers below it? Or just in OU?

Also I'm sure it was me your scraggy 6-0'd haha, that thing took me by surprise.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yes any bans that take place in the tiers above are in effect in the tiers below.

So yes if Baton Pass is banned in OU, it will be banned in UU, RU, and NU too.

Same with Drizzle + Swift Swim. If Politoed dropped to UU, then you could not use Swift Swimmers on the same team as it.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
either 1350 or 1400, haven't talked to Nails about it yet, but those would probably be the determined cutoff points.

If the activity is low during the testing period we could even go down to 1300, but I doubt that'd need to happen.

Well, the thing is, if its set at 1400, we'll have superpascal be the only person voting. If its at 1350, we'll still have only 6 people (when this was posted). Maybe putting it at like 1250 or something so we have a better suspect voter team? :S
I know the ratings go up right before the testing period, but still...

It will most likely be 1400 for voting reqs without sentences, and 1350 for voting reqs with sentences, similar to some of the OU suspect rounds. 1250 has never been a cut off except for LC, where the pool of players to draw voters from is considerably smaller, making it understandable. However, RU does have a decent amount of players, so 1350 minimum makes complete sense.

Well, the thing is, if its set at 1400, we'll have superpascal be the only person voting. If its at 1350, we'll still have only 6 people (when this was posted). Maybe putting it at like 1250 or something so we have a better suspect voter team? :S
I do undestand your reasons but 1250 is too low. You just need to build a team in 10 minutes and in less than 2 hours you're around that mark (in my experience, I only started facing good teams around the 1200 mark). I'd therefore support a strict 1350 as it would add significant dificulty and need more knowledge about the metagame.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah. Also consider the fact that this is at the time of a no-testing period on the ladder. If a suspect test were to be initiated; there would be an undoubted raise in the activity and overall point value presented onto the Rarely Used ladder.

During the busiest period of RU, I remember a good chunk of the first page was above the 1400 mark. Ever since the server went down and then the reset the numbers have never quite been up there.

It's most likely a matter of people seeing what works or doesn't right now, and actually making good, balanced teams. For example although I play RU a lot, my team synergy isn't really there, and although it can contain some surprises to catch people offguard(such as LO DE clefable), the highest I get is maybe 1150 ish and then I face a good team and without great predictions I fall way back down again. But once people like me actually start thinking more about threats and taking care of them, such as always leading with scarf rotom if I see venomoth to trick a scarf to it, people will slowly get better, imho.

It's most likely a matter of people seeing what works or doesn't right now, and actually making good, balanced teams. For example although I play RU a lot, my team synergy isn't really there, and although it can contain some surprises to catch people offguard(such as LO DE clefable), the highest I get is maybe 1150 ish and then I face a good team and without great predictions I fall way back down again. But once people like me actually start thinking more about threats and taking care of them, such as always leading with scarf rotom if I see venomoth to trick a scarf to it, people will slowly get better, imho.
But, there is a lot of instability in the metagame and with people being frustrated with arguably broken threats like Cresselia, Yanmega and Honchkrow; most people wont really start to getinto the metagame until it is stabilized. This means that the people that do play will have to wait 10 minutes to get a battle and wont bother laddering. For this reason I think the reqs should be lowered too, at least until the metagame stabilizes and more people start playing but thats a discussion for a different thread.

Alomomola is really messed up by Toxic Spikes thats why I recommend Scolipede over Accelgor as your spiker on your RMT ;). Taunt really shuts him down and Sableye has priority on it. Also it cant do shit to any grass types Tangela can Sub and Toxic all its health away but that goes for a lot of Sub Seeders. In summary, take advantage of Alomomola's lack of offensive prowress and vulnerabilty to Taunt and Toxic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)