UU Analyses Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might sound a little crazy but Ambipom can effectively run a special set with Nasty Plot, It has a very good special move pool coupled with technician
[Set]
Name:Special Sweeper
move 1: Nasty plot
move 2: Swift
move 3: HP Fighting/ Baton Pass/ Water Pulse
move 4: Shadowball
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Modest/ Timid
evs: 252 spatk/ 4 def/ 252 spe

The Primary move for slot 3 would be HP fighting @ 59 damage for the technician boost but Water pulse hits Rhyperior for 4x super effective and hits steels for neutral and has chance for confusion, and baton pass is just so you dont waste a nasty plot if something you cant handle comes in.
It gets alot of KO's on pokemon that dont expect this and at least deserves an OO mention.

The problem with this is that Ambipom is so frail, he finds it hard to set up. Throw in a weakness to the common Mach Punch, and vulnerability to almost all priority moves, and it becomes less promising.

Then, consider that there are MUCH BETTER Nasty Plot users in the tier, and there is almost no reason to use Ambipom in such a role.

.....at least, that's how I feel.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With the new releases of DW Abilities, I think that Dry Skin Jynx should be added to the Checks and Counters sections of Slowbro, Milotic, and Suicune, as the moves they run most of the time (Ice Beam and a Water move) are shut down, plus, when Jynx uses Taunt they get completely shut down, when they switch out, you can use from the team preview if they have a defensive check or an offensive counter, and use Lovely Kiss or Nasty Plot accordingly.
Slowbro gets Fire Blast / Flamethrower, and Milotic gets Dragon Tail. Suicune, sure.

The problem with this is that Ambipom is so frail, he finds it hard to set up. Throw in a weakness to the common Mach Punch, and vulnerability to almost all priority moves, and it becomes less promising.

Then, consider that there are MUCH BETTER Nasty Plot users in the tier, and there is almost no reason to use Ambipom in such a role.

.....at least, that's how I feel.
Well, it kinda worked better last gen but if by some chance you get ambipom in on some sort of squishy sweeper that doesnt want to take a fake out, its going to switch out into a physical wall or a steel/rock/ghost type then you get a free nasty plot then he can 2hko alot of walls that cant do crap to him back besides set up rocks or status him, the only real counter I would say is Registeel who pretty much laughs at all of his attacks and then t waves him.

Oh and Mach Punch isnt that common in UU, I looked through the list and the only poke that commonly uses mach punch is hitmontop.

Let me explain what the set aims to do: Lurer in a pokemon that would normally wall the normal ambipom set and KO it with a +2 stab or super effective move
I ran a couple of calcs, with +2 it:
2hko 252/252 Deoxys D w/ Shadow Ball
2hko 252/176 Dusclops w/ Shadow Ball
2hko 252/252 Registeel w/ Hp fighting
2hko 252/4 Suicune w/ Swift
2hko 252/0 Slowbro w/ Shadow Ball (Barely misses a OHKO)
OHKO 4/0 Cobalion w/ Hp fighting
OHKO 252/0 Donphan w/ Swift (Just Barely) 100% OHKO 252/4 Donphan w/ Water Pulse
OHKO 252/4 Tangrowth w/ Swift

These are just the tanks regretably with bad luck some of the 2hko's can turn into 3hko's and some of the OHKO's can turn into 2HKO's but still the damage a +2 Ambipom can do is significant.

breh

強いだね
TMS: Hitmontop is the number 2 poke in UU, iirc. NP ambi is awful; please don't try to back it up.

I ran a couple of calcs, with +2 it:
2hko 252/252 Deoxys D w/ Shadow Ball
2hko 252/176 Dusclops w/ Shadow Ball
2hko 252/252 Registeel w/ Hp fighting
2hko 252/4 Suicune w/ Swift
2hko 252/0 Slowbro w/ Shadow Ball (Barely misses a OHKO)
OHKO 4/0 Cobalion w/ Hp fighting
OHKO 252/0 Donphan w/ Swift (Just Barely) 100% OHKO 252/4 Donphan w/ Water Pulse
OHKO 252/4 Tangrowth w/ Swift

These are just the tanks regretably with bad luck some of the 2hko's can turn into 3hko's and some of the OHKO's can turn into 2HKO's but still the damage a +2 Ambipom can do is significant.[/QUOTE]

donphan has sturdy so unless you have spikes on the feild you're not KOing it.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I already posted this in PK Gaming's old Chandelure skeleton, but I'll post it here again.

I think that a spread of 168 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 84 Spe is viable spread on the SubSplit set. You run enough speed to outspeed no investment Roserade and Deoxys-D, with the rest placed into HP to increase Chandelure's already decent bulk. 172 HP EVs would make Chandelure's HP divisible by 4, so the remaining 4 EVs are placed in Defense to allow Chandelure 4 Stealth Rock switch-ins and 4 Substitutes.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I saw this in the UU analysis for Darmanitan:

Suicune and Milotic are two other defensive Water-types that can take hits from Darmanitan with relative ease. However, they both lack a reliable recovery move, which means that they can get worn down pretty fast.
The bolded part is wrong. While Suicune lacks reliable recovery, Milotic has access to Recover. The bolded sentence should be removed, or at least modified, to reflect this.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The bolded part is wrong. While Suicune lacks reliable recovery, Milotic has access to Recover. The bolded sentence should be removed, or at least modified, to reflect this.
Haha, I find it funny that I post this in two different forums on the same day. Anyways:

These kinds of small things should be posted here, since this thread serves a different purpose.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I'm revamping the Darmanitan analysis and I will make sure to remember that.

I'm not entirely sure where this should go, but I have 2 questions 'bout Rhyperior's tank set and I can't find his set in the archives anyways.

1, what are those speed evs used for?

2, what would be a good ev spread that gives him a little more physically defensive while still retaining a great deal of power? Right now, I have him set so that his physical defense is, I think in the 300s with the rest pumped into his attack so that it's still over 400.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Back in the Staraptor days, I used the old RestTalk set, with a 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 SpD EV spread and an impish nature. It's the best you can get if you want a defensive Rhyperior, but you can add / remove SpDef EVs for your preference.

By the way, this thread isn't for asking simple questions, it's for discussing potential changes on analyses on site / in progress, so please refrain from posting here just to ask a question

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not sure exactly where I'm supposed to put this but here seemed like the best place. I just wanted to point out that both of the UU analyses for Glaceon and Walrein are based entirely around hail, which is obviously gone now, so they either need an update or need to be removed (I assume the latter). Rotom-F also has some mentions of hail support needed, but those sets can function decently outside hail if you don't mind the 70% accuracy of Blizzard.

In the UU analysis for Uxie, the Support set and the Field Support set list Heal Bell as possible filler move. The problem here is, is that Uxie can not acquire the move Heal Bell, so that needs to be removed from the sets.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/uxie/uu

EDIT: nvm that, it is a HG/SS tutor move. thanks serebii

Ok two things.

1. Cradily's "Tank" set under UU is a problem. Cradily can not have Recover and Storm Drain at the same time. So that needs to be changed.

2. Could someone send a link me via PM to the OLD Flygon analysis that showed the Mixed Flygon set with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake and Outrage/Roost? I need the EV spread.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
@TheBaron:

I'm looking at the Cradily set you're referring to right now, and Giga Drain is not even mentioned in the analysis. Perhaps someone edited it out before I got a chance to look. Or perhaps you are referring to an analysis for a different tier, in which case you should post in the thread for that tier.

As for the Flygon spread, the given one was 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Naughty Nature, but that is very outdated. If you want to run it nowadays (I recommend you don't!), you should probably come up with something different.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok two things.

1. Cradily's "Tank" set under UU is a problem. Cradily can not have Recover and Storm Drain at the same time. So that needs to be changed.
And about Recover, it is perfectly legal with Storm Drain.

(I don't know if you edited your post or something, but kokoloko was talking about Giga Drain for some reason)

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah either I misread or the post was edited.

Giga Drain + Recover + Storm Drain is illegal; but just Recover + Storm Drain is not.

breh

強いだね
I'd like to see a mention of Restalk in at least OO of Porygon2. With it, after P2 is statused, it's not (for lack of a better term) a sitting duck. Tri Attack + HP Ground gets really nice coverage (you're not doing shit to missy anyway) and hits surprisingly hard, even with no investment.

Um, I think this is the right place to post this, Wlriens' analysis needs to dramatically changed as it is totally based around hail, which is no longer allowed in UU so somthing needs to be done about it like deleting or completely overhauling it.

kokoloko

I'm locking/moving this because I'm opening a brand new one for BW2 stuff once everything is implemented into a sim.

Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)