Dugtrio @ Focus Sash / Choice Band
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly
ability: Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace / Reversal
  • Dugtrio has the ability to remove most weather controllers from the match quite easily provided they aren't scarfed. Earthquake and Stone Edge have excellent coverage and hit every weather inducer except for Politoed for super effective damage.
  • Sucker Punch allows Dugtrio to revenge kill weakened sweepers, and Aerial Ace takes out Breloom and Virizion. Reversal is significantly more powerful than STAB Earthquake when Dugtrio is at 1 HP from Focus Sash, and hits Tyranitar for an easy OHKO.
  • Since Focus Sash is nullified by hazards and is only useful once, Choice Band is an alternate option.

You accidentally put "Cloyster" instead of "Dugtrio." Other than that, it looks good. I just wanted to say too that, after a little over 1200 double battles, I have not seen a single Dugtrio even on a roster.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That doesn't mean it's not viable. With weather being the force that it is, and with Dugtrio's ability to remove TTar, Tales, and Abomasnow rather easily (Poli if it's been weakened), it's entirely viable. It's also a usable attacker in its own right, with its blazing Speed and STAB Earthquake.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's a fairly decent revenge killer, and there's certainly nothing wrong with a lesser seen Pokemon who has an excellent ability coupled with high speed. if anything it just gives your opponent something to worry about, and pokemon is partly a mind game too.

That doesn't mean it's not viable. With weather being the force that it is, and with Dugtrio's ability to remove TTar, Tales, and Abomasnow rather easily (Poli if it's been weakened), it's entirely viable. It's also a usable attacker in its own right, with its blazing Speed and STAB Earthquake.
I didn't say it wasn't viable, I just meant it as a casual remark.

I am currently training a Dugtrio with this as a final setup in mind:

Ground Gem
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Jolly
Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

I get the feeling that even with a Ground Gem, an Earthquake from this won't OHKO a Tyrannitar though... but I'm doing it for fun I suppose to test out. I'm hoping Memento could be quite useful in 3 on 3, with my Gyarados getting a free(ish) Dragon Dance off it's back...

My Mamoswine has my Focus Sash, but my Choice Band is free... (although did go through a fuss to breed Memento onto it) so I'll just have to see how this thing develops.

I'm liking the idea of Reversal the more I think about it though... maybe Reversal with Focus Sash over the Sucker Punch...

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
A Ground Gem boost is equivalent to a Choice Band boost, and does not always OHKO Tyranitar (I can't recall the %chance to ko off the top of my head). Memento actually seems like a pretty cool idea, although since Dugtrio is already a fully offensive Pokemon it might just be better to go with Aerial Ace for Breloom and Virizion, since if it's about to die it might as well do as much damage as possible, and Aerial Ace helps with that.

A Ground Gem boost is equivalent to a Choice Band boost, and does not always OHKO Tyranitar (I can't recall the %chance to ko off the top of my head). Memento actually seems like a pretty cool idea, although since Dugtrio is already a fully offensive Pokemon it might just be better to go with Aerial Ace for Breloom and Virizion, since if it's about to die it might as well do as much damage as possible, and Aerial Ace helps with that.
Assuming Dugtrio holds Choice Band or Ground Gem...

Jolly, 252 Atk Dugtrio v. Neutral Def. 4/0/0 T-tar: 143.8% - 169.3%

Jolly, 252 Atk Dugtrio v. Neutral Def. 252/0/0 T-tar: 121.78% - 143.32%

Jolly, 252 Atk Dugtrio v. +Def natured 252/252/0 T-tar: 89.85% - 105.45%

Adamant, 252 Atk Dugtrio v. + Def. natured 252/252/0 T-tar: 98.02% - 115.84%

This is actually something I'd like to ask you guys about... Is a Choice Band boost really the same as a Gem boost? My thinking is that the Choice Band adds 1.5x to the Pokémon's Attack stat, but the Gem adds 1.5x to the attack's base power...

So, a Jolly Dugtrio...

w/ Choice Band
Effective 388 Attack using base 150 power Earthquake

w/ Ground Gem
259 Attack using effective base 225 power Earthquake

Is this right? And if so, how does the damage of both compare?

My calcs were based off of Choice Band only (even though I mentioned Ground Gem as the same).

I believe based off Ground Gems differential, it would deal even more.

*edit*

......or not.

Assuming Duggy is Jolly, 252 Atk with a "STAB 225 base power move" versus +Def natured 252/252/0 T-tar...........

44.06% - 52.35%.

And again, Jolly CB Duggy v. same T-tar w/ Duggy using E-quake does 89.85% - 105.45%.

Thanks, this seems like a cool tool. Still disappointing how little effect the Gem seems to have though.

At least it seems a full power Reversal will always OHKO a Tyrannitar. I started breeding Reversal and Memento through yesterday via Smeargle, so I'll have to have a play around with it I guess.

So I used this Dugtrio for the first time on the wi-fi yesterday. This is what it is at the moment:

Focus Sash
Jolly
Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Memento

It seemed to work alright... it's attacks are just pathetic though. If Memento is the best use for this, then I might as well train something else that can use it and be a little more helpful. But this is a nice original thing to use and I quite enjoyed using it - so I'll keep it on the team for now.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
What do you usually use to take advantage of Memento, and what does Duggy usually use Memento on? I'd think it'd be rather difficult to use it thanks to Duggy's low defenses, but I can see it setting up for stuff like Cloyster and whatnot.

So I used this Dugtrio for the first time on the wi-fi yesterday. This is what it is at the moment:

Focus Sash
Jolly
Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Memento

It seemed to work alright... it's attacks are just pathetic though. If Memento is the best use for this, then I might as well train something else that can use it and be a little more helpful. But this is a nice original thing to use and I quite enjoyed using it - so I'll keep it on the team for now.
I don't see the point in using memento.
TBH I think claw sharpen would work much better. It would prevent stonedge from missing and give duggy the boost it desperately needs.

/my 2 cents

Well in theory the plan was to revenge kill something and then when taken down to its Focus Sash, Memento down to let Gyarados get a Dragon Dance on their switch, or let Reuniclus set up Trick Room, or whatever else I would have on my team.

I just wanted to experiment with Memento really, thinking it could be handy in the 3 on 3 battles - but after a handful of battles with it, it doesn't seem to add anything to the team. I have had a pretty awful night on the wifi overall though...

Claw Sharpen is an interesting idea, but even at +1 I don't think Dugtrio could do much...

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Claw Sharpen is pointless on Dugtrio since to set up you need to force something out or not be threatened by an attack and Dugtrio kinda has neither of those things with its godawful bulk and Arena Trap, and it hits like a girl even at +1.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I don't think I've even seen a Dugtrio in Doubles. Way too many ways to counter it I think, what with it being weak to just about everything and some of the best sweepers in doubles are able to work around Arena Trap (Flying type or Levitate), and switching not being seen as often as Singles. Not to mention every spread move besides Discharge can probably OHKO if it hits.

But if I were to try to use it, I'd probably use:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash / Rock or Ground Gem
Jolly - 4HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Arena Trap
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Sucker Punch / Reversal (if Sashed)
-Protect

There's also the possibility of Substitute + Fissure, if you can get Follow Me / Rage Powder Support, and you're just plain lucky. And of course it's one of the fastest Memento users out there (outsped only by Prankster Whimsicott).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)