Official(!) Smogon University PO Stats -- September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then we are reminded of Vulpix, who was much more of a deadweight than Hippopotas and yet... well.
Yes, and it was broken. And Drought was banned.
Thus strengthening my point that if Sand had the kind of potential Winston is implying, people would use Hippopotas regardless of how bad it might be, instead of waiting for Hippowdon to fall down.

Just updated the OP to include "1337 Stats." You can definitely see the effect of counting the same teams over and over and over again.

on the issue of Hail vs. Sand for UU, I dont think Vulpix is a very good comparison for Sand, in fact Sun is more similar to Hail because UU sand has really --that-- few abusers(the only ones I can think of that benefit is... Stoutland, maybe FEARon, that's it iirc)

Sand Rush has really shit distribution compared to Chlorophyll, while Chloro is on a buttload of mons(Lilligant, Sawsbuck, Victreebel, etc), Sand Rush is only on... what's this? Stoutland? and Eviolite Drilbur lol Sand Veil's users are all arguably shitty in UU, with the exception of MAYBE Sandslash as a spinner(read: MAYBE). In contrast, Snow Cloak's users are really good(Mamoswine and Froslass).

Sand also doesn't have a never miss 120 BP move when its active and its inducer isn't a fully evolved Pokemon that can actually do something without being completely lulzy.

Just updated the OP to include "1337 Stats." You can definitely see the effect of counting the same teams over and over and over again.
Interesting. It would have been nice to see stats from September until the end of the 18th though. I think the time period after a suspect test ends can be somewhat less representative with some people just halting their laddering and decay could have thrown out data from those that were at 1400 before they stopped laddering.

And not surprisingly, Mew is a high ladder pokemon. I look forward to it leaving UU in a few months.

apologies in advance for formatting fails

1 || Scizor || +2 || +17.6
2 || Tyranitar || -1 || -16.7
3 || Rotom-W || -1 || -15.1
4 || Politoed || +2 || +11.9
5 || Gliscor || +2 || +2.9
6 || Celebi || +13 || +11.9
7 || Ferrothorn || -3 || -0.8
8 || Tentacruel || +21 || +12.1
9 || Heatran || -1 || +2.1
10 || Dragonite || -5 || -1.5
11 || Terrakion || +10 || +8.6
12 || Deoxys-S || +3 || +6.5
13 || Excadrill || -2 || +1.7
14 || Skarmory || -2 || +1.2
15 || Jirachi || -6 || -1.2
16 || Thundurus || -3 || +2.2
17 || Tornadus || +46 || +9.4
18 || Landorus || +7 || +4.0
19 || Starmie || +5 || +3.5
20 || Latios || -10 || -3.0
21 || Quagsire || +31
22 || Blissey || +11
23 || Ninetales || -6
24 || Mew || +25
25 || Reuniclus || -11
26 || Magnezone || -5
27 || Tangrowth || +43
28 || Volcarona || +0
29 || Forretress || -9
30 || Donphan || +24
31 || Chansey || +21
32 || Gyarados || -10
33 || Hydreigon || +2
34 || Gengar || -11
35 || Mamoswine || +16
36 || Sawsbuck || +46
37 || Toxicroak || -2
38 || Gastrodon || -8
39 || Haxorus || -23
40 || Jellicent || -14
41 || Bronzong || +0
42 || Dugtrio || +11
43 || Virizion || -1
44 || Roserade || +21
45 || Conkeldurr || -27
46 || Infernape || -19
47 || Latias || -9
48 || Abomasnow || +16
49 || Deoxys-D || +58
50 || Xatu || +37

so! the Pokemon the pros think are overrated: Latios, Reuniclus, Gyarados, Gengar, Haxorus, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Infernape.

Ninetales fell in placing but there are spikes in Chlorosweepers Tangrowth and Sawsbuck, and Donphan's a pretty common spinner on Sun teams too. overall Grasses are going up and up and up: Celebi is right up there among the big guys; Rose went up too.

Mew is no surprise, but what I'd like to know is what exactly it's being used for, it's so versatile.

Tenta, Quagsire, Blissey / Chansey, lolstall nothing unexpected here either. Tornadus usage rose but not fellow rain sweepers Nite and Jirachi and etc, weird. he's quite limited to solely rain offense though, isn't he? in other news, Terrakion overtakes Excadrill as preferred SS sweeper.

weeeeird things going on at the bottom right there. it could just be overrepresentation of a few superactive battlers, but i've personally never gotten anywhere close to this part of the ladder so it'd be nice to hear from someone who has - Hail? Deoxys-D? Xatu? really??

i've fought a few good SS UBER teams with Sub+SDChomps and they were bitches to fight off.
i've been running a few teams on UBERS and I can safely say that I see a shit ton of gar chomps and SDGarchomp are used quite frequently. It's surprising to know that the most used garchomp set is SDChomp with such high usage of kyogre and groudon.

i've been running a few teams on UBERS and I can safely say that I see a shit ton of gar chomps and SDGarchomp are used quite frequently. It's surprising to know that the most used garchomp set is SDChomp with such high usage of kyogre and groudon.
agreed.
like i said, it's weird SD >> scarf in terms of usage

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey so I've updated the BW Dex with the usage stats changes!

Once RU has banned whatever is deemed broken, there will be a new tier added tentatively entitled BL2, so keep a look out for that.

Also, the Smogon PO Server will be updated soon as well!

So there's an interesting quirk with the current tiering system, as established by Rising_Dusk and perpetuated by myself.

A pokemon can be right past the cutoff--in the 60's--in OU... and end up NU because no one ever uses it in UU or RU (I'm referring to Quagsire, who's a much bigger threat, I'd argue, in OU than in the other two tiers).

Back in the Gen IV days, DougJustDoug based *all* the tiers off of OU usage. This would be a NIGHTMARE these days, thanks to Eviolite making many NFEs *almost* as good as--but still outclassed by--their evolved forms, so it's highly likely you'd see the same pokemon running around the tops of UU, RU and NU (without resorting to BLs).

But it seems kind of silly to call a pokemon used on 2.5% of all OU teams "Never Used," and force it to spend its time amongst the likes of Cryogonal (0.068% OU usage) and Poliwrath (0.143% OU usage).

Am I suggesting a solution? I'm not even sure there's a problem--Quagsire is obviously not a significant threat in UU and RU. If he was, he wouldn't be NU.

It's just funny is all.

You should be running Shadow Ball over Dark Pulse, simply because it grants perfect neutral coverage.
Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse already give that coverage. The only thing that Dark Pulse doesn't hit neutrally that Shadow Ball does is fighting types, and Fighting types are already covered in STAB Aura Sphere.

Thanks so much for doing this antar. I'm wondering, is there any way you can collect stats for items, evs, nature, and moves like Doug used to do?

Thanks so much for doing this antar. I'm wondering, is there any way you can collect stats for items, evs, nature, and moves like Doug used to do?
Innocent Criminal has written a patch that consolidates that data automatically, it just hasn't been put on the server yet. I'm not going to bother writing any new scripts to pull that info (I can't for most of it, anyway). Anyway, no time frame on when the patch goes online, but once that happens, fully expect to see all that info.

You could argue that Sand is good, but not that good. But that it would become that good with the entrance of Hippowdon. But then it's Hippowdon being broken, not the Sand itself.
I never said that sand was extremely good in UU. Don't put words into my mouth. I do in fact have the argument that Hippow would be broken. Sand is average (IMO) in UU right now, it's not as gamebreaking with abusers like in OU. Hippowdon in UU, being a great mixed tank even, holding his own weight much more on the team generally, would let sand teams have a better standing and bastardize them like OU's weather shitstorm. Sand isnt broken in UU, because its just not as good. Hippow is broken because he would make it much better and he is a damn powerful mon himself.

I never said that sand was extremely good in UU. Don't put words into my mouth. I do in fact have the argument that Hippow would be broken. Sand is average (IMO) in UU right now, it's not as gamebreaking with abusers like in OU. Hippowdon in UU, being a great mixed tank even, holding his own weight much more on the team generally, would let sand teams have a better standing and bastardize them like OU's weather shitstorm. Sand isnt broken in UU, because its just not as good. Hippow is broken because he would make it much better and he is a damn powerful mon himself.
Yes, but my argument is that then its Hippowdon's awesomeness which makes the Sand teams so powerful, and not the effects of the Sand itself or the abusers of the Sand.

So I know that the tiers have been updated, but I'm curious, is there going to be some official announcement about that, or is it just Antar's post early on in this thread?

Yes, but my argument is that then its Hippowdon's awesomeness which makes the Sand teams so powerful, and not the effects of the Sand itself or the abusers of the Sand.
Ok.... I was just saying that Hippowdon needs to leave UU because what he will do to the tier by invoking sandstorm teams. Don't want it to turn out like OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)