Drapion [GP 2/2]

Drapion

[Overview]

<p>The grape-soda colored scorpion is back, ready for another generation of wreaking havoc and causing mischief in the lower tiers. Drapion has a respectable base 90 Attack stat, supported by a solid base 95 Speed stat, giving it great offensive capabilities. Drapion isn't bad defensively either; it has an interesting defensive spread of 70 / 110 / 75, backed up by an excellent defensive typing that gives it many useful resistances and one lone weakness.[space]Despite all of this, Drapion still has its faults, such as its lack of reliable recovery and its decidedly average stats. Nonetheless, Drapion has a great niche in RU as a handy supplier of Toxic Spikes and a sweeper with bulky defences.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Crunch / Night Slash
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Fang / Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Sniper
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set follows a simple concept: max out Attack and Speed to hit hard and fast. The item of choice is either Choice Band or Life Orb; both allow Drapion to hit much harder, whilst each has its own drawbacks. As such, you should take your team into consideration when choosing items. Those who opt to use Choice Band appreciate Rapid Spin support, as they will often be switching in and out. Conversely, those who choose Life Orb will appreciate Wish support, as their health will be quickly drained. Crunch is an obvious STAB move, and has good coverage with Earthquake. Aqua Tail is for bulky Ground-types, who would otherwise give Drapion huge trouble. Drapion's presence can tend to cause switches, so Pursuit can be handy for mauling any opponent who tries to escape. As Drapion is trying to destroy his opponents as fast as possible, entry hazard support is always appreciated.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Drapion has a lot to distinguish itself from other Pursuit users . It has a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, aiding in its defensive capabilities, while Drapion's decent Speed allows it to fire off strong attacks before it receives a status ailment, such as burn. Finally, a large movepool with good coverage allows Drapion to be a a solid team player beyond Pursuit. If one of your Pokemon has Hi Jump Kick, consider Drapion even more, as it catches Ghost-types on the switch for huge damage. On top of that, Hi Jump Kick users adore the holes this Drapion can punch into teams. It is worth noting that although Night Slash has slightly less power than Crunch, its high critical hit ratio in combination with the Sniper ability makes it an interesting choice. Ice Fang works better than Aqua Tail, as it is able to hit the odd Grass- and Flying-types that give Drapion trouble, alongside Ground-types. As for teammates, Gligar stands out as it is immune to Ground-type attacks, while being able to set up Stealth Rock. Gligar is even able to force switches, thanks to its unique typing and Taunt.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Crunch / Night Slash
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Battle Armor / Sniper
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With nice
defenses and decent Speed, Drapion can make for a good bulky Swords Dance user. The EV spread is simple: maximize HP and make it hold Leftovers for a little bit of healing, give it enough Speed to outpace a good handful of foes, then dump the rest of the EVs into its Special Defense for added bulk. As usual, Crunch is the obligatory STAB move, used alongside Earthquake for coverage. Again, Night Slash can be used in conjunction with Sniper for a more offensive approach. However, since this is a defensive set, it is best to use Battle Armor and Crunch, since Drapion can already bust through its opponents' defenses thanks to Swords Dance. Again, entry hazard support is appreciated to aid Drapion's sweep. Drapion can abuse its Speed through the use of Taunt, allowing it to come in on common tanks and shut them down, while grabbing a free boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Fang could be used over Taunt , giving Drapion perfect coverage. However, Dark-type moves already provide enough coverage alongside Earthquake, and Ice Fang's low Base Power makes it an unappealing option. Despite its bulk, Drapion will still take a beating from strong opponents, and does not like being burned. A teammate like Clefable is an excellent choice, as it is able to absorb burns due to Magic Guard, whilst keeping its team healthy with Wish and Heal Bell. Clefable can also paralyze the foe with Thunder Wave, making Drapion's job of setting up and sweeping much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Crunch / Night Slash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Fang / Aqua Tail
item: Life Orb
ability: Sniper
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The Swords Dance Sweeper set functions more or less the same as the Bulky Swords Dance set, but adopts the "hit hard and fast" approach of the All-Out-Attacker set. Life Orb, along with maximized Attack and Speed EVs, give Drapion as much raw offensive power as possible. Though it may seem outclassed, what differentiates Drapion from other Swords Dance sweepers are its good defenses, which allow it to take a hit while boosting its stats. Again, Crunch or Night Slash are used for STAB, along with Earthquake for coverage. The last move is a matter of preference; Ice Fang sports excellent type synchronization with Earthquake, whilst Aqua Tail destroys bulky Ground-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the All-Out-Attacker set, the Swords Dance Sweeper set is designed to set up on walls that are not much of a threat to Drapion, such as Tangrowth. As with all of Drapion's sets, entry hazard support is helpful. Omastar is able to set up entry hazards, which will aid in helping Drapion clobber more foes, though the Ground weakness it shares with Drapion hinders this. With Earthquake in mind, an Air Balloon can help in this situation, but Drapion usually prefers the extra power that Life Orb provides.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Whirlwind
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Taunt
ability: Battle Armor
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the offensive nature of the other sets, this set
excels at supporting the team. This set will take more than a few hits as it does its job, so it is best to get as close to even defenses as possible by maxing out HP and Special Defense. As for moves, Crunch is the usual solid STAB move. Drapion can set up Toxic Spikes, which can be used in conjunction with Whirlwind to rack up loads of residual damage. As such, a Ghost-type teammate can be enormously helpful, preventing the foe from using Rapid Spin. Taunt is used in the last slot, as it can shut down the many walls that counter Drapion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Knock Off can be a good support option, crippling many foes by making them lose their item. However, it is usually better to rack up damage from entry hazards by forcing switches with Taunt or Whirlwind. Using Rest by itself can come in handy occasionally, especially with a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user on your team. With Rest in mind, Drapion can be a RestTalk shuffler with Whirlwind, but this can be risky and Drapion is usually better off sticking to Wish support. Again, Clefable fits this role well, as it is able to cure Drapion of status and keep it healthy with Wish. Earthquake might provide coverage, but it does not do as much for Drapion on this set. Archeops can make a good teammate, as it resists Ground-type moves and can use the Toxic Spikes provided by Drapion to its advantage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Since Crunch and Earthquake have great neutral coverage together, using one of Drapion's
Poison-type STAB moves, such as Poison Jab and Cross Poison, is not a bad idea. Drapion's Poison-type STAB attacks can also benefit its coverage, shredding through those pesky Grass-types. Acupressure can be used to boost random stats; however, as in the cases of Sleep Talk or Sniper, relying on luck can be very risky. Air Balloon removes Drapion's only weakness; however, it cannot cause ultimate destruction after a single boost, so it is best to stick with either Leftovers or Life Orb.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Like the majority of Pokemon, Drapion is easy to counter if you can get by its hefty blows. Bulky Ground-types with high Defense make great counters, as they can absorb Drapion's attacks and their STAB Earthquake tears Drapion apart. Quagsire is an excellent choice, as it can bluff Water Absorb, while Unaware blocks out stat boosts and is able to destroy Drapion with its STAB Earthquake. However, Quagsire is mauled by status, so make sure it does not get poisoned by Toxic Spikes. With Toxic Spikes in mind, Steel-types with Earthquake work well against the defensive sets. Dugtrio is a great counter against the Special Defensive set, as it can trap Drapion with Arena Trap and decimate it with a STAB Earthquake. However, Dugtrio dislikes being poisoned, so send it out before Drapion sets up. It is worth noting that Dugtrio faints in one hit from the sweeping sets and the the Bulky Swords Dance set after Drapion has snagged an Attack boost.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Drapion gets Keen Eye from the Dream World , preventing preventing its accuracy from dropping. Pass up on it as accuracy reducing moves are barely seen.</p>

Drapion is one of the few viable Pursiuters in the tier considering Honchkrow has trouble finidng room for it. There should definetely be a mention of his synergy with Hi Jump Kick spammers like Medicham

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fix your formatting please, it's kinda hard to read this!

I think Sniper is pretty good on the Bulky SD set, and should deserve a slash. I'm gonna agree with chanazn and say that RestTalk is way up there; it can also double up as a mono-attacker with Swords Dance and Night Slash / Crunch.

Fix your formatting please, it's kinda hard to read this!

I think Sniper is pretty good on the Bulky SD set, and should deserve a slash. I'm gonna agree with chanazn and say that RestTalk is way up there; it can also double up as a mono-attacker with Swords Dance and Night Slash / Crunch.
There much better since I fixed up the formatting. I added Sniper, Night Slash, Rest, and Sleep Talk to the Bulky Swords Dance set. Might need a help cleaning up the Specially Defensive set once I've typed a description.

Also, don't remove "Earthquake tears open the ground" or else!

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The All-Out Attacker shouldn't have anything slashed with Pursuit. Pursuit-trapping is the main reason to use that set. If you want offensive SD, make it another set.

Bulky SD mono-attacker looks pretty bad. Move RestTalk to AC or get rid of it completely imo.

Remove the first Toxic Spikes slash on the defensive set. If you're using RestTalk, Crunch and Whirlwind should be the other two moves.

The All-Out Attacker shouldn't have anything slashed with Pursuit. Pursuit-trapping is the main reason to use that set. If you want offensive SD, make it another set.
That's the problem, they're too similar however they do play differently, I'll describe that in Additional Comments.
Bulky SD mono-attacker looks pretty bad. Move RestTalk to AC or get rid of it completely imo.
Got it!
Remove the first Toxic Spikes slash on the defensive set. If you're using RestTalk, Crunch and Whirlwind should be the other two moves.
Makes sense.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think SD should be slashed with Pursuit on the first set either. You should probably de-slash it and make an offensive SD set (it plays different enough to differentiate itself from the bulky SD set with more emphasis on power/speed) its up to you where the offensive SD set goes though. (don't place it in front of the all out attacker set though)

I don't think SD should be slashed with Pursuit on the first set either. You should probably de-slash it and make an offensive SD set (it plays different enough to differentiate itself from the bulky SD set with more emphasis on power/speed) its up to you where the offensive SD set goes though. (don't place it in front of the all out attacker set though)
Meh, I find Drapion's bulk is one of the things that make its Swords Dance set unique, I'll mention it in the Additional Comments.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's pretty fast (base 95 speed) and the extra power in LO lets it muscle its way through dedicated walls like Tangrowth easier.

It's pretty fast (base 95 speed) and the extra power in LO lets it muscle its way through dedicated walls like Tangrowth easier.
Wait so is it my decision or not? I personally find it's too similar to the All-Out Attacker set and that I can differentiate when it uses Swords Dance or not in the Additional Comments section, however, I'll play it safe and just add an Offensive Swords Dance set.

Your overview needs to be beefed up quite a bit. Your overview would literally be one sentence longf with only that information. You have its movepool to talk about, Dual Stabs, defensive typing (something beyond "good"), niche in the metagame, etc.

IMO, Ice Fang should get first slash on the all out attacker set. I cant think of anything Aqua Tail hits harder than EQ and Crunch and Ice Fang has better accuracy and can hit the rising grass and flying types in the tier much harder. I might also mention Poison Jab in OO beause Crunch and Earthquake have great neutral coverage and Dual STAB is never a bad thing. Also, when you talk about Puirsuit for HJK in all-out attackers mention how fighting types also like the holes Drapion can punch in teams, especially Scarfers.

If it were up to me I would make bulky SD set the only SD set and then give an alternative EV spread in AC considering there are a lot of fast strong Swords Dancers and his bulk gives him a niche but thats just IMO.

The specially defensive set looks a little slashy but I'm not quite sure how to alleviate the problem. I guess you could take a couple slashes and just put them in AC (probably Resttalk) but all seem to deserve a slash.

Mention Sableye as a counter for sure. Can Taunt you to stop set ups, Take a Crunch or two, Burn you, and then stall out the damage with Recover

Lastly, take out any mentions of the in-game effect of Keen Eye. Doesnt matter as this is for competitive only.

yeah, definetly mention Poison jab somewhere. it's his best option against Grass types, and mabye even cross poison if you're going for a sniper set

Your overview needs to be beefed up quite a bit. Your overview would literally be one sentence longf with only that information. You have its movepool to talk about, Dual Stabs, defensive typing (something beyond "good"), niche in the metagame, etc.
Expanded.

IMO, Ice Fang should get first slash on the all out attacker set. I cant think of anything Aqua Tail hits harder than EQ and Crunch and Ice Fang has better accuracy and can hit the rising grass and flying types in the tier much harder. I might also mention Poison Jab in OO beause Crunch and Earthquake have great neutral coverage and Dual STAB is never a bad thing. Also, when you talk about Puirsuit for HJK in all-out attackers mention how fighting types also like the holes Drapion can punch in teams, especially Scarfers.
Did so.

If it were up to me I would make bulky SD set the only SD set and then give an alternative EV spread in AC considering there are a lot of fast strong Swords Dancers and his bulk gives him a niche but thats just IMO.
I'll say it again, I find the Offensive Swords Dance set too similar to the All-Out Attacker set and I can differentiate when it uses Swords Dance or not in the Additional Comments section but I won't to play it safe. I'll wait for a QC member to tell me what to do with it but so far, they've been wanting me to keep it.

The specially defensive set looks a little slashy but I'm not quite sure how to alleviate the problem. I guess you could take a couple slashes and just put them in AC (probably Resttalk) but all seem to deserve a slash.
Again, I'll wait for a QC member to ask me to clean it up.

Mention Sableye as a counter for sure. Can Taunt you to stop set ups, Take a Crunch or two, Burn you, and then stall out the damage with Recover
Added.

Lastly, take out any mentions of the in-game effect of Keen Eye. Doesnt matter as this is for competitive only.
Removed that one line.

yeah, definetly mention Poison jab somewhere. it's his best option against Grass types, and mabye even cross poison if you're going for a sniper set
Did so.

Move Ice Fang from the set comments of the Bulky SD set, it's no longer part of the set. Mention it in AC.

In my opinion, if the Offensive SD set plays differently than the All-Out Attacker set, make it a seperate one. It functions as a sweeper, while All-Out Attacker acts as an offensive threat with Pursuit and the Bulky SD set is more of a stallbreaker. Finally, the lack of Pursuit differentiates it from the All-Out Attacker because it can no longer function in a trapping capacity, but instead becomes an effective mid- to late-game sweeper. Also, they were seperate sets last Gen, so you have a precedent.

Also, drop the dash between Out and Attacker in All-Out Attacker.

EDIT: WHOA, hold up, the Specially Defensive set looks like a train wreck. Too many slashits. Remove Toxic Spikes from the first slot. A RestTalk phazer without any attacks whatsoever is lolno. Please replace EQ with Taunt as well and leave the second slot with just Whirlwind. After all, how hard can Drapion hit with it without any investment? Answer: Not hard at all. The set basically hasn't changed since last Gen, and therefore should have roughly the same layout.

In the end, it should look like this:

[SET]
move 3: Toxic Spikes / Sleep Talk
move 4: Taunt / Knock Off / Rest
ability: Battle Armour

And then adjust your comments accordingly. Mention that Drapion can also absorb opposing Toxic Spikes for the team.

Move Ice Fang from the set comments of the Bulky SD set, it's no longer part of the set. Mention it in AC.

In my opinion, if the Offensive SD set plays differently than the All-Out Attacker set, make it a seperate one. It functions as a sweeper, while All-Out Attacker acts as an offensive threat with Pursuit and the Bulky SD set is more of a stallbreaker. Finally, the lack of Pursuit differentiates it from the All-Out Attacker because it can no longer function in a trapping capacity, but instead becomes an effective mid- to late-game sweeper. Also, they were seperate sets last Gen, so you have a precedent.

Also, drop the dash between Out and Attacker in All-Out Attacker.

EDIT: WHOA, hold up, the Specially Defensive set looks like a train wreck. Too many slashits. Remove Toxic Spikes from the first slot. A RestTalk phazer without any attacks whatsoever is lolno. Please replace EQ with Taunt as well and leave the second slot with just Whirlwind. After all, how hard can Drapion hit with it without any investment? Answer: Not hard at all. The set basically hasn't changed since last Gen, and therefore should have roughly the same layout.

In the end, it should look like this:

[SET]
move 3: Toxic Spikes / Sleep Talk
move 4: Taunt / Knock Off / Rest
ability: Battle Armour

And then adjust your comments accordingly. Mention that Drapion can also absorb opposing Toxic Spikes for the team.
The dark deed you requested is done sir.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You should slash Night Slash on the first set, since Sniper goes hand in hand with moves that have a high crit rate.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
deslash RestTalk and Knock Off on the Specially Defensive set and move them to AC. The main slashes are way better than anything else you're going to do with that set.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

deslash RestTalk and Knock Off on the Specially Defensive set and move them to AC. The main slashes are way better than anything else you're going to do with that set.

QC APPROVED (1/3)
Thumbs up! I couldn't think of anything better to say.

After an excruciatingly long and dreadful wait, this is finally typed up and ready for the Grammar-Prose Team Queue!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)