Pokemon Showdown (original announcement)

Repeating the sentiments of this being awesome. I'm curious how you are doing the ladder/points system? Perhaps the return of the system Shoddy used?

Truly cross-platform: In addition to Windows, Mac OS X, and Android, PS also supports Linux, iOS, and pretty much any other platform you can think of. Its mobile client is the real thing, too - not watered-down like PO's Android client.
Best part

aeosoft, you are awesome!

Looks great, can't wait for it to come out! I've always disliked how there aren't any animations in PO(though it still is good)
Just to ask-
1. How will you promote this? PO has a large following, while smogon users will know about it and play Showdown, there are many others who won't know about it
2. Will there be a ladder like in PO?

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
An additional reason why people feel PO's RNG is weird compared to the games is because it uses a completey different system of RNG to the games. In PO, you use the rand function, while ingame, you basically start on a particular seed, advance it based on what move you use(I can elaborate if you want), and the seed you use the move on determines if you get "hax" or not.

If I somehow managed to convince you to take this approach for programming and you want further details(unlikely because rand functions is generally enough), be aware that you will need to have a 400 different seeds(or more, I haven't done the math to determine how many seeds you need if you want to have perfect probability for events like Scald burning + critting etc.) . Each player should technically be able to pick a seed as part of their team(this is theroetically possible ingame, stress on theoretically), with the starting seed used for the battle being RNG'd between the two, or you could just rng a number from 1 - 400 to start the battle.

Just throwing that out if you're interesting in a different rng system.

An additional reason why people feel PO's RNG is weird compared to the games is because it uses a completey different system of RNG to the games. In PO, you use the rand function, while ingame, you basically start on a particular seed, advance it based on what move you use(I can elaborate if you want)
That rand() function you refer to uses the same seed mechanism.
My friend made a research and proved that pokemon RNG produces discrete uniform distribution of numbers, which means it's equivalent to any other pseudo-RNG.
To make it clear, imagine throwing a coin and rolling a dice: Despite methods are different, you have equal chances of getting heads/tails with coin and even/odd number with dice.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I too am wondering how the ladder will function - please tell me it will be like shoddy and not PO

I'm really looking forward to it, having pretty much seen it develop all the way from IS. aesoft, this is amazing as always!

This is amazing. I love how the sim is also "newb-friendly" in a sense. This sim would definitely help me since I get disconnected often. :(

Here's a partial list: (which I've also appended to the first post)

• Animations: You've seen my replay viewer. Those are the animations in PS. Enough said.
  • Reconnect: If you get disconnected from battle, PS allows you to reconnect easily.
  • Adaptive UI: Resize the window to be as big or as small as you want, and the UI will adjust itself to fit it.
  • Truly cross-platform: In addition to Windows, Mac OS X, and Android, PS also supports Linux, iOS, and pretty much any other platform you can think of. Its mobile client is the real thing, too - not watered-down like PO's Android client.
  • Better teambuilder: PS's teambuilder is designed to make teambuilding as fast as possible, whether you prefer keyboard or mouse. The screenshots should show how it does what it does.
  • Easy moddability: PS's mod format makes it easy to implement your own moves, abilities, items, and pokemon. CAP and streetmons are already implemented.
  • Better UI: PS won't close the battle window just because another player closed it. Spectating a battle gives you the full log, not just from the point you started watching. Its team chooser is built into the challenge window. Its teambuilder is sized so you can chat in the lobby and build a team at the same time. Its move description tooltips stay out of the way of the move buttons.
  • Accuracy: PS is designed from the ground up to have an event model and graphics system as close to the games as possible. Examples of things PS gets right that PO doesn't include: Zoroark's Illusion ability, gen 5 Custap Berry effect.

I might be forgetting a few things, and I have a lot more improvements planned, but these are the ones I thought of that I have done so far.
these things, they are all what I truly love, much better than PO atm, especially reconnecting and won't automatically close, so annoying when I forget to save log, wonder why coyotte hasn't changed that

and will you add some colors to log, or just leave it black and white like it was in Shoddy ?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
under what software license are you releasing pokemon showdown?
My current plans are for the server to be CC-0 and the client to be CC-BY-NC-3.0.

The client's current license is because I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with it. I will most likely change the license to a triple-license of GPLv2/GPLv3/CC-BY-SA-3.0.

On the First Day, He created a Pokémon replay viewer.
On the Second Day, He created a Warstory generator
On the Third Day, He created THIS
On the Fourth Day, He created .....
On the Fifth Day, He created ......
On the Sixth Day, He created ........
On the Seventh Day, He created ......

seriously, I'm looking forward to more of your projects. Great job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)