Ferroseed (Skeleton) (QC 2/3)

[Overview]
  • Excellent defenses, allowing it to take almost any hit
  • Excellent typing which allows it to resists 7 types and be immune to poison
  • An great support move pool consisting of both spikes and stealth rock, and thunder wave
  • Due to its bulk, its one of the best pokemon in the metagame to set up hazards
  • Ability to take on most bulky waters
  • Notable weakness to fighting, and a double weakness to fire
  • No recovery outside of leech seed, so it can easily be worn down
[SET]

name: Support
move 1: Spikes / Stealth Rock
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Protect / Toxic
move 4: Gyro Ball
item: Eviolite
nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef
IVs: 0

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Ferroseed has excellent bulk and typing, which allows it to come in easily and set up entry hazards easily
  • Ferroseed can then proceed to set up entry hazards or status for opposing pokemon, crippling them
  • Because Ferroseed’s excellent bulk, it makes an effective check for many pokemon, if not a counter
  • leech seed is mandatory or else ferroseed has no other recovery and often looses stall wars
  • protect works great in tandem with leech seed to heal health and scout
  • but toxic can be used to stall things to death and in general, spreading status around
  • gyro ball is your main attack option keeping it from bing taunt bait, ferroseed is the second slowest pokemon in RU, meaning most of the time it will has a base 150 power, it will still hit ok despite Ferroseed's base 50 attack
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • The given evs maximize its defensiveness, maximum defensiveness helps ferroseed survive against offensive titans like Honchkrow, Rhydon, and Krookodile
  • a more specially bulky spread can work well though, Sassy 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD can work to ward off water types, mainly those using rain dance, it also helps against Rotom, Rotom-C, Sceptile, and Galavantula
  • minimum speed ivs insure gyro ball will have its maximum power
  • if one does opt for gyro ball, thunder wave and toxic can be used in place of it
  • thunderwave allows you to shut down many incoming threats, or give paralysis support to sweep
  • using toxic over gyro ball allows you to run both it and protect, which is a very effective stalling combo
  • Ferroseed has no recovery outside of Leech Seed, so entry hazards can take there toll, its highly suggested you run a rapid spinner with it
  • Claydol and Sandslash are good options as they take some defensive pressure off of ferrothorn, they set up stealth rocks allowing you to run spikes, and Ferroseed in return takes water hits aimed in there direction
  • Ferroseed is a magnet for fire hits, so bulky waters can be great partners, some notable examples are Slowking which helps it out against fighting types, and Alomomola aids Ferroseed with wish support.
  • Although not necessary, a spin blocking ghost makes a brilliant partner, not do they keep hazards down, but they aid in covering Ferroseed’s fighting weakness, Cofagrigus, Rotom, and Dusknoir are all good teammates.
  • Any pokemon that appreciates hazards support to sweep appreciates Ferroseed, such as Honchrow, Sharpedo, Medicham
  • Ferroseed also tends to become set-up fodder, so such pokemon become great checks.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • shed shell can be used if one fears losing Ferroseed to Magneton and Probopass, which may be a loss if played correctly
  • Seed bomb can be used to deal with bulky water’s easier, but generally toxic is a better option
  • Explosion can be used, buts its power is rather unsatisfactory.
  • Sunny day can be used if your running a sunny day team and need Ferroseed for some reason
  • Ferroseed has access to gravity, and can actually use it effectively, it should be noted that spikes is illegal with gravity.
  • On the same note, leech seed + stealth rocks + spikes is illegal
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
  • other grass types such as Tangrowth walk all over Ferroseed
  • Any pokemon with taunt or substitute will be a pain for Ferroseed
  • pokemon using trick can effectivly cripple ferroseed
  • Clefable is immune or laughs at to whatever it throws as it
  • Fighting types and fire types, or just pokemon with fire moves, make Ferroseed roll away as fast as it can

Minor nitpick - Slowbro is UU. You could mention Slowking instead.
Derp, thats actually what I mean, I will change it right away.

Also, I would appreciate any imput on the moveset listed, I have been thinking instead:

-spikes / stealth rock
-leech seed
-protect / thunderwave
-toxic / gyroball

I chose the other one for the pure fact that I don't have to explain that toxic and thunderwave don't go together, but this might be better.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I don't know any situation where you'd want to go without Gyro Ball, especially with Alakazam in the tier (for now anyway) and other frailer stuff. It also keeps you from being utter Taunt bait, and Gyro Ball actually does some pretty decent damage even without any investment. The main set should definitely look like the standard UU one:

[SET]
move 3: Toxic / Protect
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

I'd argue that a specially defensive spread is far more desirable in RU, if not just for Omastar/Alakazam (Focus Blast suckkkkks). I can't think of any physical attackers that you'd want to be able to tank, outside of Honchkrow or Rhydon, the former of which more often than not carries either Superpower or Heat Wave anyway. At least with Special Defense you are more able to tank the main types you resist, particularly Ice, Water, and Electric.

Make those changes and I'll stamp it.

I have not seen a single Honchkrow with Superpower or Heat Wave, I think it's pretty important to note the damage difference (Def takes 47.60% - 56.51%, SpD obviously takes enough to be 2HKOed) between Brave Bird on a SpD and a Def Ferroseed and at least mention a Defensive spread

You can actually avoid being 2HKOed with Leech Seed with the Defensive Spread and Honchkrow is almost likely to KO itself before KOing Ferroseed (Ability + LO Recoil + BB recoil + Leech Seed + Stealth Rock leave it at a depressing amount of HP).

I'm not even quite sure what special threats its going to wall besides Alakazam whos definitely temporary. Most others either destroy it (Fire-types or Grass-types (who always have HP Fire)) or don't get touched by it <insert Water-types) and frankly those either carry Taunt, a set up move, or HP Fire. Physical defense helps vs Krookodile, Sharpedo, Honchkrow, Hitmonlee / Medicham etc.

I'd mention both to be safe.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hmmm yeah maybe Defense is better, I've just never had problems with the special defense spread, but defense would help against Aggron and Kabutops too. With special defense you also pretty much cockblock the Rotoms (though those with Subs dgaf), are able to tank a hit from P-Z and Toxic/TWave, absorb hits from Galvantula/Manectric (bar Heat Wave), Sceptile, and Accelgor (again Focus Blast can smd).

I'm surpised you haven't seen any Honchkrows with Superpower/Heat Wave, though I suppose the SubKrow set is the most popular and doesn't run either one.

Make the main spread physical defense, but both definitely need to be mentioned.

Ok after talking to PK we agreed that the metagame is too offensive right now and that Ferroseed should run Thunder Wave so that it can cripple the Pokemon attempting to switch in and set up. So this is how the set should look like:

move 3: Thunder Wave / Protect
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef
ivs: 0 Spe

Make sure to mention Toxic in AC and explain it's only better against stall teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)