Slowking [DONE :D]

Stratos

Banned deucer.
[QC: 3/3]
[GP: 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Ah, Slowking. This poor fellow is often overlooked in favor of his cousin Slowbro, and for good reason. His typing is a mixed bag for a physical wall. Resisting the Fire- and Fighting-type attacks thrown around in RU is no joke, but neither is a weakness to Honchkrow's Sucker Punch and powerful U-turns from Primeape and Scyther. Compounding all these problems is the fact that Slowking is a special wall, where his Water/Psychic typing is definitely not welcome, no thanks to such threats as Lilligant, Rotom, and Ludicolo. All is not lost, however. Dream World gifted Slowking with the excellent ability Regenerator, which allows him to heal 1/3 of his HP simply by switching out. This trait alone makes him a good wall for obvious reasons, but also lends itself to be used with Choice Specs. He is arguably the best Trick Room setter in the tier, due to his ability to support or sweep.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Water
move 1: Scald
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Dragon Tail / Psychic
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When Blastoise was moved to UU, the RU community all shed a single manly tear and searched for the best suitable replacement. This set was the result. Regenerator takes Slowking's already good bulk to insane levels, as he can take a hit, hit back, and switch out without losing much health. This makes Slowking a great pivot, able to force out multiple threatening Pokemon again and again, but make sure you know his place. Don't try to use him as a nerfed Cresselia, because staying in for long periods of time is not his thing, as most attackers are strong enough to 3HKO or better.</p>

<p>Scald functions as the obvious main STAB move, and is the move Slowking will be using more than half of the time. Coming off of 100 base Special Attack, it can still 2HKO or 3HKO most Pokemon, and fishing for burns never hurt anybody. Slack Off is mandatory to heal off damage when you don't want to switch, especially if your opponent has multiple layers of entry hazards up. Dragon Tail is his preferred third move to shuffle the opponent's team and rack up residual damage, although if you're not in the mood for stacking up layers of Spikes, you can go with Psychic as another attacking option. Lastly, you should almost always opt for Thunder Wave as a last-ditch stop to the many deadly sweepers in RU, but Toxic is an option if you're having trouble against Stall teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs instead of 252 is not much of a difference, but it allows Slowking to hit a number divisible by three, maximizing the HP gained from Regenerator. The rest of the EVs allow him to be a solid counter to Entei while allowing him to be as specially bulky as possible. This set pairs incredibly well with Tangrowth to create an annoying Regenerator core, or it can be used in tandem with Steelix for its great resistances. Steelix takes the Electric-, Dark-, and Ghost-type attacks aimed at Slowking while Slowking eats Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-type moves aimed at Steelix for breakfast.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Grass Knot / Ice Beam
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When a Pokemon has 100 base Special Attack, great resistances and STABs, and reliable recovery even when choice-locked, there's no excuse to use anyone else for a bulky Choice Specs tank buster. Surf and Psyshock are slowking's main attacking options since hitting both physical and special defenses with powerful STAB makes Slowking incredibly hard to wall. Beyond that, it's mostly an issue of coverage. Fire Blast is always recommended to punch straight through Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and your average Sun team. You can decide between Grass Knot and Ice Beam for the final moveslot. Ice Beam will OHKO Altaria, but Grass Knot is typically more favorable, as Sharpedo is generally a much bigger threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Regenerator is the crux of this set, allowing Slowking to hit hard, possible score a 2HKO without fear, and switch back out no worse for the wear. It may be tempting to use Trick, but you should resist the urge at all costs, because doing so means that you have to run one of Slowking's two other abilities, as Trick is a Gen IV tutor move. This set has the power to punch through almost all walls anyway, so Trick is useless in most cases.</p>

<p>Defensive teammates here are the same as with the above set, but this one also greatly appreciates a teammate with Choice Scarf to take out the sweepers that will try to KO Slowking. Scarf Moltres would be the best option, as despite sharing an Electric weakness with Slowking, it can take on the troubling Grass- and Bug-types like nobody's business, and outspeed things such as Choice Scarf Rotom-C, Choice Band Scyther, +1 Lilligant, and +1 Sharpedo, and OHKO them all. Focus Blast can be used over Fire Blast to KO Sharpedo and Ferroseed and leave Ice Beam for Altaria; however, a miss is typically a lot more game-changing than an Altaria weakness. Lastly, Psychic can be used over Psyshock for the higher power but it's usually better to be able to break special walls.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Surf
move 4: Nasty Plot / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Quiet
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This functions similar to the Choice Specs set, except it forbears a coverage move in exchange for Trick Room, which offsets Slowking's horrible speed to give him standalone sweeping potential. Even uninvested, he can still take a neutral STAB special hit and retaliate with crushing force. After a Nasty Plot, nearly every Pokemon in the tier is OHKOed, including notable foes like Sharpedo. Sadly, there is no way to keep Ferroseed from walking all over you unless you opt for Fire Blast over Nasty Plot. Team support to cover this weakness is usually recommended over this option, however. If you run Nasty Plot, you should choose Leftovers, as you aim to stay in for a long time and steamroll the opposition. However, if you pick Fire Blast, then Life Orb should be your item of choice, as switching out heals off three rounds of Life Orb recoil.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set should be used on teams with average Speed and no scarf users, as it allows you to take down most otherwise threatening sweepers with ease. Obviously, it also works on Trick Room teams, although those teams should use the bulky variant of TR Slowking for repeated setups. Remember not to overestimate the King's bulk; two good neutral hits should be enough to take him out, so make sure you aren't in over your head when you bring him in. Nasty Room users should fear Ferroseed, and, to a lesser extent, Munchlax, as they can outspeed you while under the effects of Trick Room and will be exceptionally hard to defeat.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Support
move 2: Scald
move 3: Slack Off / Psychic
move 4: Yawn / Psychic
nature: Sassy

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Trick Room sweeper set, this set is not supposed to take center stage in battle. Slowking should be setting up Trick Room and leaving immediately so that something else can sweep. When he can, though, Slowking doesn't mind being a cool tank, soaking up hits such as banded Entei Flare Blitzes and Choice Scarf Medicham Hi Jump Kicks while recovering off the damage with Slack Off. Yawn is preferable to Dragon Tail because although it does not deal damage, it gives you a free turn to set up Trick Room while your opponent switches. Scald should be your main STAB move to rack up burn damage and hit most things in RU for at least neutral effectiveness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though this set is easily forced out, it's more of a blessing than a curse, as with Regenerator, Slowking will have many times to come back in and set up Trick Room. The acute observer will also notice that this set is the exact same as the Bulky Water set, except instead of a status move, it runs Trick Room. It's still a bulky water, and you should treat it as such. Not surprisingly, this set works best on Trick Room teams.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Slowking hit the motherlode on special moves, having not only special moves of eight different types, but also usually multiples of each. Though only a few are listed, all are viable. For example, if you find low accuracy to be an issue, you can run Flamethrower over Fire Blast. Calm Mind and Curse sets are semi-viable, but waste Slowking's biggest asset, Regenerator. Furthermore, a very slow Substitute means that status conditions can usually cut boosting sets' lifespans short. Lastly, Future Sight can be used on the Specs set for wall breaking, hammering the opponent with two hard blows on the same turn. This is typically a poor idea, however, as it mandates a switch immediately after being used.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>If you cannot outspeed Slowking, you are virtually guaranteed to lose. Fortunately, he has 30 base speed. Slowking has no way to cure or block status conditions, so they will typically be one of your best ways to tear him down. If you can hit him with multiple neutral STAB attacks from your sweepers, preferably on the switch, then he will also most likely fall. However, you must be aware that he can recover health without having to stay in and take a hit. As such, the best way to defeat Slowking is typically with strong, super effective STAB moves that will OHKO him, or at least come very close. The best Pokemon for this job are Galvantula, Scyther, Lilligant, Rotom-C, Sharpedo, Honchkrow, Vespiquen, Haunter and Tangrowth. Lilligant gets extra props for being able to use Slowking as setup fodder. Furthermore, unless Fire Blast is run, Ferroseed can wall him all day, as can Munchlax or Altaria, but beware of the fact that whenever you come up against a Slowking, a surprise coverage move could easily mean the end of the game.</p>

You may just want to mention that none of the the given attacks really threaten Sharpedo, who can come in on basically anything not named TWave or Scald (maybe), and threaten with it's Dark Stab. Maybe mention Focus Blast as an option over Flamethrower, as the coverage is more or less identical, and still does a respectable amount to Ferroseed (65.1-76.7% to specially bulky Eviolite variants, OHKOes Shed Shell variants after SR). Also, Grass allows you to hit other Waters hard, and still hits opposing Slowkings at the same BP as Shadow Ball.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
In all honesty all four sets are pretty good, I put them in that order because Slowking is the only bulky Choice Specser in RU, where there are other bulky waters that are arguably better typed (alomomola) and Trick Room setters, but the order is more or less whichever popped into my head first, and I'm very open to suggestions on which is most viable.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the Bulky Water set should be first. Also, why do you list 0 Attack IVs on all sets? I get its for minimum confusion damage, but it feels so uneccesary. Also Nasty Plot should be listed or mentioned in AC on the Offensive TR set.

I agree, bulky water should be first. Also, TR should be last. I think TR only needs one set and then say you could go more offensive with the bulky set in its AC. Im not sure if TR even deserves its own set. If it was up to me it would just be in OO but ok. A calm mind set is very effective with:
Slack off
Calm mind
Scald
Psychic/ T- wave
or something like that and should defietely be added

Nasty Plot and Trick Room absolutely need to be in the same set, slashed or something. Every time I've brought out TrickPlot Slowking in RU, it's just dominated. With Surf + Psyshock there's very few respectable checks to him, even moreso now that Cresselia's gone. Even if the opponent Toxic's me, they're losing 1-2 pokemon and I can make good use of the remaining Trick Room turns. It's also versatile since I can either Nasty Plot or Trick Room depending on what the situation requires.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Thanks, I tried to put in as much as possible.

I think the Bulky Water set should be first. Also, why do you list 0 Attack IVs on all sets? I get its for minimum confusion damage, but it feels so uneccesary. Also Nasty Plot should be listed or mentioned in AC on the Offensive TR set.
Superfluousity noted, i deleted that.

Also, replaced Focus Miss with a slashed NP seeing as Wimpedo is cleanly OHKOed by NP boosted Surf.

I agree, bulky water should be first. Also, TR should be last. I think TR only needs one set and then say you could go more offensive with the bulky set in its AC. Im not sure if TR even deserves its own set. If it was up to me it would just be in OO but ok. A calm mind set is very effective with:
Slack off
Calm mind
Scald
Psychic/ T- wave
or something like that and should definitely be added
Considered merging TR sets when I first posted this actually, tried to but bulky and offensive TR are so vastly different it was just a fail. Also TR def needs a set; Slowking is the #1 Trick Room setter in RU.

Also unless you can give me a specific set, CM slowking's inability to block status (Sub on something that slow is worth shit) just makes it a fail CM user.

Nasty Plot and Trick Room absolutely need to be in the same set, slashed or something. Every time I've brought out TrickPlot Slowking in RU, it's just dominated. With Surf + Psyshock there's very few respectable checks to him, even moreso now that Cresselia's gone. Even if the opponent Toxic's me, they're losing 1-2 pokemon and I can make good use of the remaining Trick Room turns. It's also versatile since I can either Nasty Plot or Trick Room depending on what the situation requires.
Done

I think you mean Slowbro
Thanks for the catch, fixed.

Also reminds me, Curse is probably worth a mention in OO

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Psychic should replace Psyshock on the defensive sets, and it should be slashed in front of Psyshock on Specs and OTR. I can't think of many things in RU that Psyshock hits noticeably harder (Munchlax and Cryogonal are the only two that come to mind), and most of those won't care about an unboosted attack from Slowking either way.

I don't like Dragon Tail on Defensive Trick Room. It wastes turns, and Trick Room teams don't like wasting turns. I'd slash Yawn instead, since it at least gives you a free turn to set up TR or switch in your sweeper safely.

Also for some lame reason we aren't calling sets Bulky Water anymore, so change it to "Defensive" or something.

TrickPlot
I prefer NastyRoom.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Psychic should replace Psyshock on the defensive sets, and it should be slashed in front of Psyshock on Specs and OTR. I can't think of many things in RU that Psyshock hits noticeably harder (Munchlax and Cryogonal are the only two that come to mind), and most of those won't care about an unboosted attack from Slowking either way.
true

I don't like Dragon Tail on Defensive Trick Room. It wastes turns, and Trick Room teams don't like wasting turns. I'd slash Yawn instead, since it at least gives you a free turn to set up TR or switch in your sweeper safely.
good point

Also for some lame reason we aren't calling sets Bulky Water anymore, so change it to "Defensive" or something.
fixed

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would make more of a mention in its ability to counter most Moltres and pivot in on Alakazam and some PZ, as well as mention in the AC comments of the OTR set that it functions as a standalone sweeper rather than team support, which is the main thing that differentiates it from the Defensive Trick Room set. Other than that, looks good.

QC Approved 1/3

I think slack off should get a AC mention under the offensive trickroom set because he still has the bulk to pull it off and you could slack off on the las trun of trickroom and live to fight another day.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a nitpick on the first set:

It says ridiculously bulky just like the above set, But there is no set above it.

I think you should fix that

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Actually you should never use the phrase "like the set above" ever, because the order of sets is always subject to change at a later date.

Amateur GP check

To be honest I'm not sure what to do with the extremely casual style. I like it though so I left most of it alone. Hope it's ok :)

Add the stuff in Bold
Take out the stuff in Red
Musings in Yellow-Green

<p>Ah, Slowking. This poor fella I'll let you decide if you wanna change this or not... is the often overlooked in favour of his cousin of Slowbro, and for good reason. His typing as a physical wall is a mixed bag. He has only okay typing for a physical wall - Rresisting the Fire- and Fighting-type fire and fighting type attacks thrown around in RU is no joke, but neither is a weakness to Honchkrow's Sucker Punch or Primeape's or Scyther's powerful U-turns from Primeape and Scyther. Unfortunately, Compounding all these problems is the fact that Slowking is a special wall, where his Water/Psychic typing is definitely not welcome, thanks to such threats as Lilligant, Rotom, and or Ludicolo. All is not lost, however. Dream World gifted Slowking with the excellent ability Regenerator, which allows him to heal 1/3 of his HP simply by switching out. This trait alone makes him a good wall for obvious reasons, but also lends itself to Choice Specs. He can also boast to being what is probably the best Trick Room setter in the tier, with the ability to support or sweep.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When Blastoise was moved to UU, the RU community all shed a single manly tear and searched for the best suitable replacement. This was the result is what they came up with. Regenerator improves his decent makes his already good bulk, carrying it to insane levels, as he can take a hit, hit back and switch out without losing much health. This makes Slowking He's a great pivot, being able to force out multiple threatening Pokemon again and again, but make sure you know his place. He should not, however, be used as a dedicated wall; Don't try to use this guy as a nerfed Cresselia, because staying in for long periods of time is not his thing, as most attackers are strong enough to 3HKO or better.</p>

<p>Scald functions as the obvious main STAB and is the move Slowking you will be using clicking more than half the time. Coming off of 100 base Special Attack, it can still 2 or 3HKO most Pokemon, and fishing for burns never hurt anybody. Slack Off is mandatory, especially if your opponent has multiple layers of entry hazards up, to heal off damage when you don't want to switch. Dragon Tail is his preferred third move to shuffle the opponent's team and rack up residual damage, although if you're not in the mood for stacking Spikes, you can go with Psychic as another attacking option. Lastly, you should almost always opt for Thunder Wave as a last-ditch stop to the many deadly sweepers in RU, but Toxic is an option if you're having more trouble with Stall teams, you can go with Toxic.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs instead of 252 does not take away much of Slowking's bulk, and is not that important of a difference, but it hits a number divisible by three, increasing the HP gained from for Regenerator. The rest of the EVs allow him to be a solid counter to Entei while being as specially bulky as possible. This set pairs incredibly well with Tangrowth for an annoying Regenerator core, or it can be used in tandem with Steelix for great resistances., Steelix covers taking Electric-, Dark-, and Ghost-type attacks directed at Slowking while Slowking eats Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks aimed at Steelix for breakfast.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Energy Ball / Ice Beam
nature: modest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When Slowking has 100 base Aattack, great resistances and STABs, and reliable recovery even when choice-locked, there's no excuse to use anyone else for a bulky Choice Specs tank buster OK what's a tank buster. Surf and Psyshock are your main attacking options, allowing Slowking to hit both as hitting both physically and specially defensive es opponents with powerful STAB, making him makes Slowking incredibly hard to wall. Beyond that, it's mostly an issue of coverage. Fire Blast is always recommended to punch straight through Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and the your average Sun team in general. It's your choice between Energy Ball and Ice Beam. Ice Beam will OHKO SpDef Altaria, which is nice. However, Energy Ball is perhaps more favourable what you'll usually find yourself running, as it OHKOes Sharpedo, which is in general a much bigger threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This will definitely start to sound like a broken record, but Regenerator is the crux of this set, allowing Slowking to hit hard, score the 2HKO without fear and switch back out no worse for the wear. It may be tempting to use Trick, but you should resist the urge at all costs, because doing so means that you have to run one of its two other abilities, as it is not compatible with Regenerator *shudder* and both are competitive suicide. This set has the power to punch through almost all walls anyway, so Trick is usually unnecessary.</p>

<p>Defensive team[REMOVE SPACE]mates here are the same as with the above set, but this one also greatly appreciates Scarf support to take out the sweepers that would try to KO it. Scarf Moltres would be the best option, as despite sharing though they share an Electric weakness with Slowking, it Moltres can take on the troubling Grass and Bug types like nobody's business, and outspeed things such as Scarf Rotom-C, Choice Band Scyther, +1 Speed Lilligant, and +1 Speed Sharpedo, and OHKO them all. Focus Blast can be used over Fire Blast to KO Sharpedo and Ferroseedthorn and leave Ice Beam for Altaria; however, a miss is typically a lot more game-changing than an Altaria weakness. Lastly, Psychic can be used over Psyshock for the higher power, off the bat but it's usually better to be able to break special walls.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This functions similar to the Choice Specs user, except it forbears a coverage move in exchange for Trick Room, which offsets Slowking's horrible speed to give him standalone sweeping potential. Even uninvested, he can still take a neutral STAB special hit and retaliate with crushing force. After a Nasty Plot, nearly every Pokemon in the tier is OHKOed, including notable foes like Sharpedo. Sadly, there is no way to keep Ferroseedthorn from walking all over you unless you opt for Fire Blast over Nasty Plot. Team support to cover this weakness is usually recommended over the noticeable reduction in power. If you run Nasty Plot, you should choose Leftovers as you aim to be staying in for a long time and steamrolling the opposition. However, if you pick Fire Blast Flamethrower, then Life Orb should be your item of choice as switching out heals off the Life Orb recoil after three rounds of attacking.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set should be used on teams with average medium Sspeed and no scarf users, as it allows you to take down most otherwise threatening sweepers with ease. Obviously, it also goes well on Trick Room teams, although those should use the bulky TR Slowking for repeated setups. Remember not to overestimate Slowking's bulk; Don't be reckless with his bulk, either. Ttwo good neutral hits should be enough to take him out, so make sure you aren't in over your head when you bring him in. Nasty Room users should fear Ferroseed, and, to a lesser extent, Munchlax, as they can outspeed you while under the effects of Trick Room and will be exceptionally hard to defeat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Trick Room sweeper set, this the support set is not supposed to take center stage in the battle. The aim of this set is for Slowking to He should be setting up Trick Room and leaveing so something else can sweep. When he can, though, Slowking doesn't mind being a cool tank, soaking up such hits as banded Entei Flare Blitzes and Choice Scarf Medicham Hi Jump Kicks, while recovering off the damage with Slack Off. Yawn is preferable to Dragon Tail because although it does not deal damage, it allows you a free turn to set up Trick Room while your opponent switches. Scald should be your main STAB to rack up burn damage and hit most things in RU for at least neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though this set is easily forced out, it's more of a blessing than a curse, as with Regenerator Slowking will have equally many times to come back in and set up Trick Room. The acute observer will also notice that this set is the exact same as the Bulky Water set, except instead of a status move it runs Trick Room. It's still a bulky water, and you should treat it as such. Not sSurprisingly, this set works best on Trick Room teams.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Slowking hit the mother[SPACE]lode on special moves, having not only special moves of eight different types, but also usually multiples of each. Both are viable, although the more typical will be listed above.These can all be useful For example, if you finding missing to be too big of an issue, you can run Flamethrower over Fire Blast. Calm Mind and Curse sets are semi-viable as a tank but waste Slowking's his biggest asset, that of Regenerator. Further, a very slow Substitute means that status conditions can usually cut boosting sets' lifespans short. Lastly, Future Sight can be used on the Specs set for wall breaking, to hammering the opponent with two hard blows on the same turn. This is typically a poor idea as it mandates a switch immediately after being used.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>If you cannot outspeed Slowking you are virtually guaranteed to lose. Fortunately, he has 30 base speed. Slowking has no way to cure or block status conditions, so they will typically be one of your best ways to tear him down this wall. If you can get multiple neutral STABs from your sweeper, preferably on the switch, then he will also most likely fall. However, you must be aware that he can recover health without having to stay in and take a hit if you are planning to beat him. As such, the best way is typically strong, super effective STABs that will OHKO or at least come very close. The best RU Pokemon for this job are Galvantula, Scyther, Lilligant, Rotom-C, Sharpedo, Honchkrow, Haunter and Tangrowth. Lilligant gets extra props for using Slowking as setup fodder. Further, unless Fire Blast is run, Ferroseed can wall you all day erryday, as can Munchlax or Altaria, but beware whenever you come up against a Slowking, as a surprise coverage move could easily mean the end of the good game.</p>

Add Remove Comments

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Ah, Slowking. This poor [Bfellow][/B] fella is often overlooked in favor of his cousin Slowbro, and for good reason. His typing as a physical wall is a mixed bag for a physical wall. Resisting the Fire- and Fighting-type attacks thrown around in RU is no joke, but neither is a weakness to Honchkrow's Sucker Punch or and powerful U-turns from Primeape and Scyther. Compounding all these problems is the fact that Slowking is a special wall, where his Water/Psychic typing is definitely not welcome, thanks to such threats as Lilligant, Rotom, and Ludicolo. All is not lost, however. Dream World gifted Slowking with the excellent ability Regenerator, which allows him to heal 1/3rd of his HP simply by switching out. This trait alone makes him a good wall for obvious reasons, but also lends itself to be used with Choice Specs. He can also boast to being what is probably the best Trick Room setter in the tier, (comma) with the due to his ability to support or sweep.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When Blastoise was moved to UU, the RU community all shed a single manly tear and searched for the best suitable replacement. This set was the result. Regenerator takes his Slowking's already good bulk to insane levels, as he can take a hit, hit back, (comma) and switch out without losing much health. This makes Slowking a great pivot, able to force out multiple threatening Pokemon again and again, but make sure you know his place. Don't try to use this guy as a nerfed Cresselia, because staying in for long periods of time is not his thing, as most attackers are strong enough to 3HKO or better.</p>

<p>Scald functions as the obvious main STAB move, (comma) and is the move Slowking will be using more than half of the time. Coming off of 100 base Special Attack, it can still 2HKO or 3HKO most Pokemon, and fishing for burns never hurt anybody. Slack Off is mandatory to heal off damage when you don't want to switch, especially if your opponent has multiple layers of entry hazards up, (comma) to heal off damage when you don't want to switch. Dragon Tail is his preferred third move to shuffle the opponent's team and rack up residual damage, although if you're not in the mood for stacking up layers of Spikes, you can go with Psychic as another attacking option. Lastly, you should almost always opt for Thunder Wave as a last-ditch stop to the many deadly sweepers in RU, but Toxic is an option if you're having more trouble against with Stall teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs instead of 252 is not much of a difference, but it allows Slowking to hits an HP number divisible by three, maximizing the HP gained from Regenerator. The rest of the EVs allow him to be a solid counter to Entei while allowing him to be as being as specially bulky as possible. This set pairs incredibly well with Tangrowth for to create an annoying Regenerator core, or it can be used in tandem with Steelix for its great resistances. Steelix takes the Electric-, Dark-, and Ghost-type attacks aimed at Slowking while Slowking eats Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-types attacks aimed at Steelix for breakfast.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Energy Ball / Ice Beam
nature: mModest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When Slowking a Pokemon has 100 base Special Attack, great resistances and STABs, and reliable recovery even when choice-locked, there's no excuse to use anyone else for a bulky Choice Specs tank buster. Surf and Psyshock are Slowking's your main attacking options as since hitting both physical and special defenses with powerful STAB makes Slowking incredibly hard to wall. Beyond that, it's mostly an issue of coverage. Fire Blast is always recommended to punch straight through Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and your average Sun team. It's your choice You can decide between Energy Ball and Ice Beam for the final moveslot. Ice Beam will OHKO SpDef Altaria, which is nice, but . (period) However, (comma) Energy Ball is typically more favorable, as Sharpedo is generally in general a much bigger threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This will definitely start to sound like a broken record, but Regenerator is the crux of this set, allowing Slowking to hit hard, possibly score the a 2HKO without fear, (comma) and switch back out no worse for the wear. It may be tempting to use Trick, but you should resist the urge at all costs, because doing so means that you have to run one of its Slowking's two other abilities, as Trick it is a Gen IV tutor move. This set has the power to punch through almost all walls anyway, so Trick is useless in most cases.</p>

<p>Defensive teammates here are the same as with the above set, but this one also greatly appreciates a teammate with Choice Scarf support to take out the sweepers that will would try to KO Slowking it. Scarf Moltres would be the best option, as despite sharing an Electric weakness with Slowking, it can take on the troubling Grass-(hyphen) and Bug-(hyphen)types like nobody's business, and outspeed things such as Scarf Rotom-C, Choice Band Scyther, +1 Lilligant, and +1 Sharpedo, and OHKO them all. Focus Blast can be used over Fire Blast to KO Sharpedo and Ferroseed and leave Ice Beam for Altaria Wait, what are you trying to say when you say, "leave Ice Beam for Altaria"; however, a miss is typically a lot more game-changing than an Altaria weakness. Lastly, Psychic can be used over Psyshock for the higher power but it's usually better to be able to break special walls.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This functions similar to the Choice Specs set user, except it forbears a coverage move in exchange for Trick Room, which offsets Slowking's horrible speed to give him standalone sweeping potential. Even uninvested, he can still take a neutral STAB special hit and retaliate with crushing force. After a Nasty Plot, nearly every Pokemon in the tier is OHKOed, including notable foes like Sharpedo. Sadly, there is no way to keep Ferroseed from walking all over you unless you opt for Fire Blast over Nasty Plot. Team support to cover this weakness is usually recommended over this option, (comma) however the noticeable reduction in power. If you run Nasty Plot, you should choose Leftovers, (comma) as you aim to be staying in for a long time and steamrolling the opposition. However, if you pick Fire Blast, then Life Orb should be your item of choice, (comma) as switching out heals off three rounds of Life Orb recoil after attacking.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set should be used on teams with average Speed and no scarf users, as it allows you to take down most, (comma) otherwise threatening sweepers with ease. Obviously, it also works goes well on Trick Room teams, although those teams should use the bulky variant of TR Slowking for repeated setups. Remember not to overestimate the King's bulk; two good neutral hits should be enough to take him out, so make sure you aren't in over your head when you bring him in. Nasty Room users should fear Ferroseed, and, to a lesser extent, Munchlax, as they can outspeed you while under the effects of Trick Room and will be exceptionally hard to defeat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Trick Room sweeper set, this set is not supposed to take center stage in the battle. Slowking should be setting up Trick Room and leaving immediately so that something else can sweep. When he can, though, Slowking doesn't mind being a cool tank, soaking up hits such such hits as banded Entei Flare Blitzes and Choice Scarf Medicham Hi Jump Kicks, (comma) while recovering off the damage with Slack Off. Yawn is preferable to Dragon Tail because although it does not deal damage, it allows gives you a free turn to set up Trick Room while your opponent switches. Scald should be your main STAB move to rack up burn damage and hit most things in RU for at least neutral effectiveness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though this set is easily forced out, it's more of a blessing than a curse, as with Regenerator, Slowking will have many times to come back in and set up Trick Room. The acute observer will also notice that this set is the exact same as the Bulky Water set, except instead of a status move, (comma) it runs Trick Room. It's still a bulky water, and you should treat it as such. Not surprisingly, this set works best on Trick Room teams.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Slowking hit the motherlode on special moves, having not only special moves of eight different types, but also usually multiples of each. Though only a few are listed, all are viable. For example, if you find low accuracy missing to be an issue, you can run Flamethrower over Fire Blast. Calm Mind and Curse sets are semi-viable, (comma) but waste Slowking's biggest asset, Regenerator. Furthermore, a very slow Substitute means that status conditions can usually cut boosting sets' lifespans short. Lastly, Future Sight can be used on the Specs set for wall breaking, hammering the opponent with two hard blows on the same turn. This is typically a poor idea, (comma) however, (comma) as it mandates a switch immediately after being used.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>If you cannot outspeed Slowking, (comma) you are virtually guaranteed to lose. Fortunately, he has 30 base speed. Slowking has no way to cure or block status conditions, so they will typically be one of your best ways to tear him down. If you can hit him it with get multiple neutral STABs attacks from your sweepers, preferably on the switch, then he will also most likely fall. However, you must be aware that he can recover health without having to stay in and take a hit if you are planning to beat him. As such, the best way to defeat Slowking is typically with strong, super effective STABs moves that will OHKO him, (comma) or at least come very close. The best Pokemon for this job are Galvantula, Scyther, Lilligant, Rotom-C, Sharpedo, Honchkrow, Haunter and Tangrowth. Lilligant gets extra props for using being able to use Slowking as setup fodder. Furthermore, unless Fire Blast is run, Ferroseed can wall him you all day, as can Munchlax or Altaria, but beware of the fact that whenever you come up against a Slowking, as a surprise coverage move could easily mean the end of the game.</p>

I left a comment after one of your sentences since I had no idea what you were trying to say.

GP Approved 1/2

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this has already been through QC, but Slowking cannot learn Energy Ball. Therefore, it should be replaced with Grass Knot on the Specs set (which still hits Sharpedo for 80 base damage).

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you mention Haunter in the counters section, you should also mention Vespiquen; she has a way better chance against it than Haunter.

Slowking can't break her subs and she uses Toxic, Pressure and Attack Order to stall it out. If Haunter's there, Vespiquen should be as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)